Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Any developer with good judgment would rather make a delay than release an unfinished product. This is how it always is. The quality of the end product is more important than any predicted release window, and Pipeworks isn't unique or unusual for keeping this philosophy.

This does not justify the freqency, or the length of the delays. Quality and reliabilty are not exclusive concepts. It is commendible to want to maintain quality, however, your customers should be able to rely on your timing commitments as well. If it was the first time, it could be forgiven. But it is a perpetual issue.

O boy, here we go again. Though I'm not gonna side with anyone. I agree that these updates are taking a damn long time getting out from the quality assurance, QA and other developing needs however they should be DONE before any sign of release date coming out. Honestly, if games were released like apps on Apple, the console community would probably be as boring as the threads in the regular TCF forums for this platform. Delays actually generate excitement however too many and they bring about dissapointment which I'm pretty certain this is getting a little far-fetched. Half-life 3 or at least the continuation of the second game via episodes said they would be releasing every two-three months or so and then all of a sudden they decided to shut their mouths and seize development of the franchise altogether. At least PW is a good change from Engine whose console 1.2 update made them famous for the insane amount of game crashes. I probably shouldn't be saying anything further about the assessment of quality until the actual update comes out, but please, for the community, for the sake of 818 days (and still going), give us a picture or something! The friggin excitement is killing me!

Terraria console had been pretty far behind PC prior to Pipeworks getting their hands on it. This unfortunately makes it seem as if 1.3 has been under development for console much longer than it actually has been.

The changes we are making to the console version with this code rewrite are pretty massive and will lead to a much better experience overall - the wait is worth it.

The performance bugs that remain are not something we feel comfortable releasing. If the game was ready you would have had it yesterday. Pipeworks has been working extremely hard on this update putting in overtime and working holidays. Please be patient with us a little longer so we can get over the finish line together. <3

Great to here some news!

Yeah jeez, I'm glad we at least heard something, even if it was another delay. I mean, they could just not even release the update, c'mon guys be glad they're still taking the time to update this so we can all have a better experience.

Personally, I'm fine with this delay, and I say that for 3 reasons.

1. This gives me (and others) more time to collect legacy items.

2. The delay will likely allow them to fix game-breaking bugs. I have been playing Terraria ever since December 2016. So I'd rather have a delay than lose all that work.

3. Terraria isn't the only game out there. I've been having to tell myself that a lot recently, and this delay gives me time to temporarily leave my Terraria obsession, and play some other games, like Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. (Which I'm only just now downloading, even though it came out forever and a day ago.)

Well, Halo 3 back compat will amuse me for awhile. For maybe a month. So good timing in a way. Love your work guys, hope you can sort out those issues.

Greetings, Terrarians!

Understandably, we’ve been getting a lot of questions regarding the upcoming console release of 1.3 and wanted to provide an update.

Currently we are working through the final issues/bug list from Re-Logic and Pipeworks QA – as well as any final bits that we need to resolve for Sony and Microsoft certification submission. Parallel to that, we are putting the final touches on optimization and performance for split-screen multiplayer. It has been a challenge getting the authentic PC experience to feel just right in this important format, but we are nearly done there.

Keep in mind that for a game of this scale we need to ensure that the game is properly screened by QA prior to us submitting the update for certification, we don’t want to rush and sacrifice quality for the sake of getting it out sooner. We are hoping to be able to submit for certification in the next few weeks, though there is a good chance this will take a bit longer. That said, we can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully this should give you a better idea of where the team is currently at. We hope to have additional information with a more solidified date soon – we just need to see how things progress on the final list before we can do so. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
The Terraria Team at Pipeworks
I'm actually....Okay with this.

They generally break your game.
Ooooooouhhhhh!!!!

Anyways, I’m very happy pipeworks is just admitting that it’s delayed and not keeping silent after the community gets pissed. And anyways, terrarians should (keyword “should”) be used to delays.

Greetings, Terrarians!

Understandably, we’ve been getting a lot of questions regarding the upcoming console release of 1.3 and wanted to provide an update.

Currently we are working through the final issues/bug list from Re-Logic and Pipeworks QA – as well as any final bits that we need to resolve for Sony and Microsoft certification submission. Parallel to that, we are putting the final touches on optimization and performance for split-screen multiplayer. It has been a challenge getting the authentic PC experience to feel just right in this important format, but we are nearly done there.

Keep in mind that for a game of this scale we need to ensure that the game is properly screened by QA prior to us submitting the update for certification, we don’t want to rush and sacrifice quality for the sake of getting it out sooner. We are hoping to be able to submit for certification in the next few weeks, though there is a good chance this will take a bit longer. That said, we can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully this should give you a better idea of where the team is currently at. We hope to have additional information with a more solidified date soon – we just need to see how things progress on the final list before we can do so. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
The Terraria Team at Pipeworks

Honestly I'm not angry, just dissapointed that it's been delayed twice now and both over a month (2nd delay maybe). I can understand that split screen is an issue but couldn't you just release it now and implement split screen in a further update? I mean I'm pretty sure people would sacrifice split screen for at least a few weeks for the long awaited 1.3 update. And I understand you want a 'one terraria' but your need to understand how the community feels and not what 'you' want.

But if this is worth the delay, then I'm happy to wait for another month. I have high expectations for this as it has took you around a year to do this.

So we're waiting for ages... losing console specific items and mobs... apparently bad performance (during splitscreen gameplay), unless they manage to solve it... an exact copy of the PC 'master race' GUI (which works fine for mouse/keyboard/monitor-play but not for controller/TV-play)...

Hopefully they won't mess up the Switch version, as that's the version I'm looking forward to the most.

Good thing about releasing a quality update is there isn't a hard deadline. ;)
I don't know if I will ever get a response to this, but a I hope I do.
I need to know if it is going to be keyboard and mouse compatible. This way, I can buy a keyboard and mouse ahead of time instead of going out and buying one on the day of release, just to find out that it isn't.
I honestly don't really care to much if it isn't keyboard compatible, but it would be awesome if it was.

If I don't get a response, I'm just going to assume that it's like... a closely guarded secret or something XD

I've never stated that pipeworks is solely responsible for the continuous failure to keep their own stated release expectations.. Pipeworks is not the only part of the terraria dev team that set release expectations. My frustration stems from the company as a whole continously failing to meet the timing the set themselves. Sure, there are plenty of games out there to play. Currently i've picked no mans sky back up after the atlas rising update to see if its worth playing now. The fact that there are other games out there does not mean terraria devs get a pass for not keeping their word. First the promotion of q2 release, that conviced players to buy a new copy on current gen consoles. It was then annouced they might need a "short" delay into q3. That turned out to mean the end of q3, and now a"short" delay into q4. At what point does it become acceptable to criticize them for their failure to keep thier word?
I've never stated that pipeworks is solely responsible for the continuous failure to keep their own stated release expectations.. Pipeworks is not the only part of the terraria dev team that set release expectations. My frustration stems from the company as a whole continously failing to meet the timing the set themselves. Sure, there are plenty of games out there to play. Currently i've picked no mans sky back up after the atlas rising update to see if its worth playing now. The fact that there are other games out there does not mean terraria devs get a pass for not keeping their word. First the promotion of q2 release, that conviced players to buy a new copy on current gen consoles. It was then annouced they might need a "short" delay into q3. That turned out to mean the end of q3, and now a"short" delay into q4. At what point does it become acceptable to criticize them for their failure to keep thier word?
However you might be missing the fact that some things are outside of their control. Certification goes to Sony/Microsoft/soon to be Nintendo for the Switch. Should they find something out of whack Pipeworks has to go back and figure out what it is. It's unrealistic to expect nothing to go wrong. The delays are put in place to give them time to figure out what's wrong before they hand us the update. I can imagine you and Moe complaining up a storm because they released early and the game was glitching left and right and full of game breaking bugs. Coding is no easy task and especially because they took what Engine Software did and re-wrote EVERYTHING from the ground up. The possibility for errors goes deep and one little change in code can break other coding chains. From what I understand as Mr.Rudi and a few others told me coding is almost like playing a game of Minesweeper. One misstep in the process and another process can get messed up. Even AAA developers for games like Call of Duty, Mortal Kombat and Dark Souls come across glitches and errors in code. Though it may not be as complicated as C+, C#, or XNA I work with M.U.G.E.N and even in that you can have messed up script. Give them some slack. What game devs do isn't easy. Remember that.

I need to know if it is going to be keyboard and mouse compatible. This way, I can buy a keyboard and mouse ahead of time instead of going out and buying one on the day of release, just to find out that it isn't.
I honestly don't really care to much if it isn't keyboard compatible, but it would be awesome if it was.

If I don't get a response, I'm just going to assume that it's like... a closely guarded secret or something XD
I don't know about keyboard and mouse support, but if you're worried about yo-yos, they look great in the 1.3 console and easy to use.

You can see more 1.3 gameplay here:
YouTube playlist showing 1.3 gameplay on console

As of right now, no. This is however something we are going to have conversations about in the future. :)

So we're waiting for ages... losing console specific items and mobs... apparently bad performance (during splitscreen gameplay), unless they manage to solve it... an exact copy of the PC 'master race' GUI (which works fine for mouse/keyboard/monitor-play but not for controller/TV-play)...

Hopefully they won't mess up the Switch version, as that's the version I'm looking forward to the most.
Actually I own the PC version and it works nicely with controllers. You'd be surprised with how well it works. I can also customize my controls to my liking and that tells me we should be able to in console as well :) unless I'm wrong but I like PLaystation's control scheme anyway lol

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom