Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
A delay. What a surprise. Well, at least it's not another quarter, but based on this i'm guessing that we'll get the update either late October or early November. I am not happy in the slightest, but hey it's not like excessively whining about it will help anything. Guess I'll just try not to think about Terraria for a while.

Sigh.

So we obtain news of essentially another delay, more or less at the end of Q3? Okay then, getting kind of silly now.

I won't pretend that I'm outraged by the news, no need to be overdramatic about it. It is rather embarrassing though.

Maybe a better choice in future would be to not announce a target that you can't hit / have no idea if you can hit it. We went from Q2 > Q3 > Q4.

& no, I'm not attacking Pipeworks or behaving like a twit, I have no desire to get into an asinine argument with forum regulars.

I commend PW for the work they're doing and the attentiveness they're showing. The game will never be bug free but it's nice to know they're working hard to put out the best possible update console users can receive.

I'm just glad for news about 1.3 I've played console myself but mainly play mobile so it is good to hear news cause it is better to have a flowing game than one that glitches and low frame rates and all that. Good Luck on finishing it up

Actually I own the PC version and it works nicely with controllers. You'd be surprised with how well it works. I can also customize my controls to my liking and that tells me we should be able to in console as well :) unless I'm wrong but I like PLaystation's control scheme anyway lol
Yeah, even on PC I actually prefer playing with a controller, it works really well

I don't know about keyboard and mouse support, but if you're worried about yo-yos, they look great in the 1.3 console and easy to use.

You can see more 1.3 gameplay here:
YouTube playlist showing 1.3 gameplay on console
Thank you for showing me this! I didn't even know this video excised :D
[doublepost=1506391225,1506391182][/doublepost]
As of right now, no. This is however something we are going to have conversations about in the future. :)
Thank you so much for getting back to me on this :D

@MoeHolyGhost @Khaosbringer

I hate to go against what you guys are saying, but we originally wanted them to give us more updates. Perhaps they aren't as reliable or as informative as we might have hoped, but I will take their updates as them having heard us in the other posts.

While I would more prefer knowing what bugs are still in play, I'm willing to defer judgment until release.

I say this, but if bugs exist during the release then I hope, for Pipeworks' sake, that they are resolved before they get blasted too hard for it. Just to point out the effect delaying claiming "perfection" can cause.

I hate to go against what you guys are saying, but we originally wanted them to give us more updates. Perhaps they aren't as reliable or as informative as we might have hoped, but I will take their updates as them having heard us in the other posts.

While I would more prefer knowing what bugs are still in play, I'm willing to defer judgment until release.

I say this, but if bugs exist during the release then I hope, for Pipeworks' sake, that they are resolved before they get blasted too hard for it. Just to point out the effect delaying claiming "perfection" can cause.
I actually get what you mean by this. If they delay to much claiming that they have almost reached "perfection" then if there are bugs after the release then there are going to be a LOT of angry people.
I mean... look at No Man's Sky. By god that game was a complete disaster at release.
(By no means am I comparing No Man's Sky to Terraria)

However you might be missing the fact that some things are outside of their control. Certification goes to Sony/Microsoft/soon to be Nintendo for the Switch. Should they find something out of whack Pipeworks has to go back and figure out what it is. It's unrealistic to expect nothing to go wrong. The delays are put in place to give them time to figure out what's wrong before they hand us the update. I can imagine you and Moe complaining up a storm because they released early and the game was glitching left and right and full of game breaking bugs. Coding is no easy task and especially because they took what Engine Software did and re-wrote EVERYTHING from the ground up. The possibility for errors goes deep and one little change in code can break other coding chains. From what I understand as Mr.Rudi and a few others told me coding is almost like playing a game of Minesweeper. One misstep in the process and another process can get messed up. Even AAA developers for games like Call of Duty, Mortal Kombat and Dark Souls come across glitches and errors in code. Though it may not be as complicated as C+, C#, or XNA I work with M.U.G.E.N and even in that you can have messed up script. Give them some slack. What game devs do isn't easy. Remember that.

These are all issues that a responsible developement company should consider before annoucing release timing. Delays resulting from bugs and performance issues are understandable, but should be the exception, not the rule. When, you give your customers the same excuses over and over, for why a product is not delivered on time, your customers are going to start looking to your competitors.

I can respect that and understand where your coming from. I was originally looking for more information, and when we recieved it a couple weeks ago, i backed off to give them the benefit of the doubt. But now after all this time, they are once again delaying the release. Today i just jumped on here to state my opinion about that and move on, but you've seen how well that went. Anyone who has voiced frustration about the delay have been called out for it. Folks who are unhappy about the news can only watch as others who voice their concerns are met with criticism or personally insulted and attacked to the point the admins had to jump in and break it up. Customers have a right to be upset. It's starting to become a theme. I'm just stubborn enough that i won't let folks pressure me into going with the flow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and should be allowed to voice it without being harrassed.

Last edited:
The reason why i love terraria is because they value quality morethan rushing just to release raw something. The fruit is best when it is ripe at tree, not when you force it to ripe on your own. Ah sorry for my english :)

Well my xbone controller is busted so maybe this will give me enough time to try to buy a new one before the update comes.
[doublepost=1506402099,1506401654][/doublepost]Well I knew this was going to happen, the community has turned into a riot within 20 minutes of this news being out.

Maybe a better choice in future would be to not announce a target that you can't hit / have no idea if you can hit it. We went from Q2 > Q3 > Q4.
Unfortunately, that effectively would come down to not announcing a target at all: release estimates are always inaccurate to some degree. Making predictions just a month ahead is already risky, let alone three quarters. But as I've said, the alternative is not releasing a target at all. It's unfortunate, but it's a simple fact of game development.
Customers have a right to be upset. It's starting to become a theme. I'm just stubborn enough that i won't let folks pressure me into going with the flow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and should be allowed to voice it without being harrassed.
Customers have every right to be disappointed. What they do not have, in my opinion, is grounds to be indignant.

The reason I've been arguing with you all this time is not because you're disappointed about the delay; I completely understand you are, and what's more, I respect that. Nor am I arguing against you solely because you're not pro-Re-Logic, "and that's just terrible". What I'm arguing against is your justification for being indignant, namely that Pipeworks is not keeping their promises that aren't actually promises, or not adhering to release targets which per definition are only estimates. That is what I take issue with.

Disappointment is a neutral feeling. I can (and will) be disappointed if it rains on my birthday Saturday (because nobody wants to ride a roller coaster in the rain), but I wouldn't be indignant, not at the primordial forces at work, not at the meteorologists whose forecasts I've read. Because the weather being unpredictable is a fact, and a widely known one at that. That release targets are inaccurate is a fact as well, just not a widely known one. But that doesn't make it any less true.

Unfortunately, that effectively would come down to not announcing a target at all: release estimates are always inaccurate to some degree. Making predictions just a month ahead is already risky, let alone three quarters. But as I've said, the alternative is not releasing a target at all. It's unfortunate, but it's a simple fact of game development.

Customers have every right to be disappointed. What they do not have, in my opinion, is grounds to be indignant.

The reason I've been arguing with you all this time is not because you're disappointed about the delay; I completely understand you are, and what's more, I respect that. Nor am I arguing against you solely because you're not pro-Re-Logic, "and that's just terrible". What I'm arguing against is your justification for being indignant, namely that Pipeworks is not keeping their promises that aren't actually promises, or not adhering to release targets which per definition are only estimates. That is what I take issue with.

Disappointment is a neutral feeling. I can (and will) be disappointed if it rains on my birthday Saturday (because nobody wants to ride a roller coaster in the rain), but I wouldn't be indignant, not at the primordial forces at work, not at the meteorologists whose forecasts I've read. Because the weather being unpredictable is a fact, and a widely known one at that. That release targets are inaccurate is a fact as well, just not a widely known one. But that doesn't make it any less true.

This, once again, is your opinion. Where you only seem to consider the posts featuring words like estimate, and target, i see the posts where they make direct statements on the timing. These statements are far more numerous, and are answers to direct questions. When their main source of communication for months at a time is through social media, and they answer with definitive statements, customers use these definitive statements to make purchase decisions. When they originally posted about their targeted q2 release, yes this was an estimate. However, in the months leading up to may, they stated q2 not as an estimate, but as a fact. They continued this until just days before they annouced the first delay. They did the same thing rolling up on q3. Now i get it, you feel that when they used words like target and estimate, that this means that they have no obligation to release during this timeframe. By that very same logic, when i see posts that state "this quarter" and "by the end of this timeframe", i feel that they are, at the very least being irrisponsible, and at worst, they are misleading customer who purchase their products based on these statements when they end up delaying the release. These are both opinions, they've both been stated, neither one of us will change our minds, so there is no longer a need to continue this discussion. Time to move on.

Last edited:
This, once again, is your opinion. Where you only seem to consider the posts featuring words like estimate, and target, i see the posts where they make direct statements on the timing. These statements are far more numerous, and are answers to direct questions. When their main source of communication for months at a time is through social media, and they answer with definitive statements, customers use these definitive statements to make purchase decisions. When they originally posted about their targeted q2 release, yes this was an estimate. However, in the months leading up to may, they stated q2 not as an estimate, but as a fact. They continued this until just days before they annouced the first delay. They did the same thing rolling up on q3. Now i get it, you feel that when they used words like target and estimate, that this means that they have no obligation to release during this timeframe. By that very same logic, when i see posts that state "this quarter" and "by the end of this timeframe", i feel that they are, at the very least being irrisponsible, and at worst, they are misleading customer who purchase their products based on these statements when they end up delaying the release. These are both opinions, they've both been stated, neither one of us will change our minds, so there is no longer a need to continue this discussion. Time to move on.
True. Waiting isn’t too bad but it feels like we will never get the update and we have gone from q2 to q3 to q4 I find it horrible that I’ve waited over half a year under the impression that we will get the update soon then they delay it even more.

So here's how I've come to understand the situation.

Pipeworks gives us a target they aren't able to hit and 3 things always happen.
1. The general community is disappointed but begrudgingly neutral
2. Some members routinely call them out for it.
3. Some more members come to the defense of pipeworks.

This forum has rules. As long as we keep to these rules, we can keep this show going all the way till spring 2018 when 1.3 finally drops (finally we promise this time) and all would be good. Or at least more active than everything else going on for console here.

Where I take issue, even more so than usual, is with two points that are increasing every time these threads pop up.
1. Being told it's "wrong" to vent our frustrations.
2. Being told to "leave" for venting said frustrations.

Speaking for myself ( and maybe two other members I can think of ) it's high time to address these two points.
1. No it's in no way wrong to continually voice our concerns every time pipeworks misses another target.
2. No we're not leaving. In fact, we've had moderators step up and defend us being here to say what we say a few times. So as long as we maintain the rules and don't get banned then, sorry friendo, we're not going anywhere.

With that said. I need to make an apology. Upon reading the original post by ClearConscious I was so mad at the delay that I completely missed the fact that they had addressed one of my earliest complaints and just tore into the thread. They had actually updated us instead of waiting till the last minute. They could've just sat on the last thread two weeks back and just waited for the deadline to pass before telling us anything. Instead we actually got some info, however bittersweet it is, so for that I'm thankful.

And @ClearConscious, sorry for flying off the handle earlier. Now for the love of god please let this be the last delay.

So here's how I've come to understand the situation.

Pipeworks gives us a target they aren't able to hit and 3 things always happen.
1. The general community is disappointed but begrudgingly neutral
2. Some members routinely call them out for it.
3. Some more members come to the defense of pipeworks.

This forum has rules. As long as we keep to these rules, we can keep this show going all the way till spring 2018 when 1.3 finally drops (finally we promise this time) and all would be good. Or at least more active than everything else going on for console here.

Where I take issue, even more so than usual, is with two points that are increasing every time these threads pop up.
1. Being told it's "wrong" to vent our frustrations.
2. Being told to "leave" for venting said frustrations.

Speaking for myself ( and maybe two other members I can think of ) it's high time to address these two points.
1. No it's in no way wrong to continually voice our concerns every time pipeworks misses another target.
2. No we're not leaving. In fact, we've had moderators step up and defend us being here to say what we say a few times. So as long as we maintain the rules and don't get banned then, sorry friendo, we're not going anywhere.

With that said. I need to make an apology. Upon reading the original post by ClearConscious I was so mad at the delay that I completely missed the fact that they had addressed one of my earliest complaints and just tore into the thread. They had actually updated us instead of waiting till the last minute. They could've just sat on the last thread two weeks back and just waited for the deadline to pass before telling us anything. Instead we actually got some info, however bittersweet it is, so for that I'm thankful.

And @ClearConscious, sorry for flying off the handle earlier. Now for the love of god please let this be the last delay.

Let's hope it's the last delay indeed.

Regardless of when it drops, I'll get around to playing it but I've got a large line up of games to play throughout Q4.

With the re-release of Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy IX & two birthday gifts (Fallout 4 GOTY & ME Andromeda) on the way, I'll he hard pressed to find the time to get back to it. Q2 or Q3 would have been great.

Considering one of the core focuses for them now is touching up on split screen MP, maybe I can convince the wife to get into Terraria with the new update. Who knows.

Let's hope it's the last delay indeed.

Regardless of when it drops, I'll get around to playing it but I've got a large line up of games to play throughout Q4.

With the re-release of Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy IX & two birthday gifts (Fallout 4 GOTY & ME Andromeda) on the way, I'll he hard pressed to find the time to get back to it. Q2 or Q3 would have been great.

Considering one of the core focuses for them now is touching up on split screen MP, maybe I can convince the wife to get into Terraria with the new update. Who knows.
I hear ya. FF9 and 12 are taking up a huge chunk of my game time right now and it won't be easier with evil within 2 and the new south park coming out around the new 1.3 target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom