Other Game Minecraft Thread

With the release of Terraria 1.3.4 comes another release that everyone missed: Minecraft 1.11, aka the Exploration Update. Though I wouldn't blame anyone for missing it, because the update itself is pretty forgettable. Major player-visible changes:
  • New enchantments: Curse of Binding (cannot drop the item) and Curse of Vanishing (item disappears on death)
  • New hostile mobs: Vex. Evoker and Vindicator, both of type Illager. (I assume that's a pun on Ill Villager -- that's capital i, lowercase L, lowercase L in case your font doesn't readily distinguish it.) Intended for endgame players.
  • New passive mob: Llama. Leashing a llama leads them trying to form a caravan.
  • New blocks: Shulker Box - a chest that keeps its contents when broken. Note that an Ender Chest shares its items with all other Ender Chests but each Shulker Box has its own inventory.
  • New items:
    • Some new spawn eggs
    • Shulker Shell: Dropped by the like-named enemy to craft the like-named box
    • Totem of Undying: Resurrects you on death. Dropped by Evokers.
    • Maps
  • New structures:
    • Return Portal: Returns you to the main End island
    • Woodland Mansion: Generates in Roofed Forests. Home to the new mobs.
  • Hunger has been tweaked; most actions now 'consume' less hunger than before
The things of interest to me are the Shulker Boxes and Llama trains, which will probably make transporting large numbers of items far easier and quicker. Aside from that, it feels more like a 1.10.3 instead of a 1.11 update. I don't mean to criticise, but the update feels too same-samey... like tacking on more of the same stuff rather than making significant or substantial changes. Roofed Forest is probably one of the few biomes that doesn't need an update. Meanwhile, the endless expanse of the desert, the ocean, the underground, the Nether, the End and the sky is as lifeless as ever. It's probably good for builders, but that what's Creative mode is for. I'm an explorer; I want to find new and exciting things! Sadly, there isn't that much to explore without using mods to extend it.

I've been downloading mods for 1.10.2 to set up a new exploration world, but I got sidetracked by replaying NWN1. Maybe that'll give time for the mod authors to update to 1.11. :)

recently switched from forge version 10.13.4.1448-1.7.10, to 1.10.2-12.18.3.2185, means from 1.7.10 to 1.1.0.2
i am having fun with PSI mod, but i totally fail on making spells, also ender IO has changed a LOT in 1.1.0.2 since i play 1.7.10 more than 1.1.0.2 due some mods like thermal expansion, open blocks, prevented me from updating beyond 1.7.10.

Last edited:
Along comes Minecraft 1.12, the "World of Colour" update. Now, world of colour would imply lots of colourful things, right? Mineable rainbows, colourful wood, pots of gold at the end of the rainbow, trees that look like Terraria's Hallow and unicorns? Well, you're going to be disappointed if you expected any of those.

There are two new blocks: concrete and glazed terracotta. Beds can be dyed. These come in the 16 Minecraft colours. The glazed terracotta is the more interesting because it can form patterns. I can see resource pack creators doing some amazing things with this! This is good for people who don't like or don't want to play with mods.
There's a new neutral Parrot mob, that can be tamed. As far as I can tell, it has no benefit like taming wolves/ocelots do. There's a new hostile mob, the Illusioner.

The UI updates appear to be the bigger part of this update. Achievements were replaced with Advancements. They are similar, but Advancements seem to be more granular. A recipe book was added, which was sorely needed. The crafting system of Minecraft was often unintuitive. Both look like they can be customised via resource packs as well.

Then we come across this new splash:
"The true meaning of covfefe"
I'm calling it. The splashes are just embarrassing now.

I need to update the game to get the new content - I haven't done anything new since 1.8. Likewise Terraria 1.3.6 (when released) and Starbound 1.3. So many games about playing with blocks, such little time. :)

Last edited:
Who dare lay this heresy upon this Forum? This is a Terraria forum!!! :)

Also I don't understand how they can add Maps to find Woodland Mansions from Cartographers if the world is randomly generated?

Also I don't understand how they can add Maps to find Woodland Mansions from Cartographers if the world is randomly generated?
During world generation, the position and information of various generated structures is saved as well (in order to determine things like what sort of mobs can spawn). This allows finding those places later. Of course, for that to work, the game has to have already generated the part of the world with that structure in it.

During world generation, the position and information of various generated structures is saved as well (in order to determine things like what sort of mobs can spawn). This allows finding those places later. Of course, for that to work, the game has to have already generated the part of the world with that structure in it.
I don't think it quite works like that? Isn't it based off the world seed? Given the world seed, the engine will be able to work out which chunks are Roofed Forest, and which of those chunks will have a Woodland Mansion. (Similar for Deep Ocean and Ocean Temples.) It's how map viewers work too: they use the seed with the same world generation algorithm as the Minecraft engine. That's how map viewers can tell you the location of structures and type of terrain for areas you haven't explored yet.

I don't think it quite works like that? Isn't it based off the world seed? Given the world seed, the engine will be able to work out which chunks are Roofed Forest, and which of those chunks will have a Woodland Mansion. (Similar for Deep Ocean and Ocean Temples.) It's how map viewers work too: they use the seed with the same world generation algorithm as the Minecraft engine. That's how map viewers can tell you the location of structures and type of terrain for areas you haven't explored yet.
Yes, whether or not something should be generated there is determined based on the game seed, but last I checked (which, to be honest, is a bunch of versions back, but I have no reason to believe it was changed), the information on those structures is stored additionally in the world save.

I think I've said this before, but I've played MC since beta in 2010 (Yes, that long,) And I used to love it. Over the years I've started to prefer other games, and since Microsoft (in my opinion) ruined it, I've played Terraria as my sandbox game. If you still like it- good for you. Hope you get as much mileage out of it as I did.

Minecraft very much depends on how you play it. For me, someone who likes adventure, exploration and treasure hunting, it still remains fun. I still enjoy sinking a hole in the ground somewhere, picking a direction and tunnelling until my Unbreakable III Diamond Pickaxe is about to break. There's still a thrill of discovery when I find a cavern or mineshaft to explore. Or if I don't feel going underground, I'll pick a cardinal direction and travel # blocks from x=0, z=0. (Previously I travelled 10,000 blocks in each compass direction. I later upped that to 30,000.) I still remember some amazement that there was a snowfield about 1000 blocks from my base that I didn't find for over a year, simply because I hadn't explored in that direction.

That's why I disliked the changes in 1.9 and wish they'd spend more time on expanding factors related to exploration, such as more biomes or more in the biomes.

But I guess if you see the Ender Dragon as the end and there's nothing more to do afterward, then you might think Minecraft gets boring quickly.

There were microtransactions when they released skin packs. But at least they were "micro." Now we have to buy coins to buy skin packs and maps and resource packs and texture packs. And the ratio of money:coin is probably high; meaning we pay more for less coin.

Back
Top Bottom