Xbox 360 Saved Characters & Worlds files NOT displaying...

SlickClick

Terrarian
Earlier this year the kids were acting up so I deleted the Main Terraria game files; but left their user profile made worlds and characters...
This was sometime before June/2017 for sure; so today Oct/2017 I decided to allow them back on the game again I redownloaded the game, copied their files over and even moved the newly downloaded game files from the HD to the on-board Console memory where the User world and files have been for months...

All their files worked fine previously and they all show creation dates months old, some even from early 2016...

But when we load the game none of the Characters or Worlds appear in the menu list; we did NOT create any new worlds or characters in the game and no newly dated files other than the Main game files are new on the console...

I assume some update has taken place since the game was last played (deleted) and rendered all old file versions useless..?
Is there or will there be a fix to the interface to read the older version or patch them for compatibility..?
Can I copy the Game files to a USB stick and test them on Windows 10 or an XboxOne..?

If there is no solution; the game will surely go back in the delete bin and the 5-Star game rating will go to Zero as this is pathetic to render peoples files useless after hundreds of hours of play time invested...

In my experience with moving files around on 360, you have to move them with the profile they belong to otherwise they end up disassociated and no longer accessible. I had this happen with several games before Terraria even came out.

In my experience with moving files around on 360, you have to move them with the profile they belong to otherwise they end up disassociated and no longer accessible. I had this happen with several games before Terraria even came out.

I copied the files; and a system message pops up saying certain files can only be moved by the user, no biggie sign out sign in move/copy...

Currently I have 2 sets of files and likely a 3rd from further back on a usb stick somewhere...
I've played the game with the kids before and it is an interesting and rather in-depth game for kids and adults even...

I think its a Version update issue as I read somewhere that they were trying to update character/worlds ports to the newer/future platforms...

Just double checked and there hasn't been an update since August of last year. Pipeworks did ask for the community to send in save files for them to test with but that didn't affect the game files themselves. I'm sorry you're having an issue with your saves but I don't believe there's anything the game itself can do. :/

There's 2 files that make up the game data; the main file and the update file...
Is there a way to download an older version of the update file..?

Cause when I delete the update file and try the game offline without updating the game is useless; there is nothing highlighted on the main menu until the update is downloaded...
I have 2 sets of files some from 2016 and some from 3/2017; makes no sense really at all if there has been no update..?
I find it odd that redownloading the core files months later would make the files useless...
There's no way to file check the save files for structure or content..?
That too I find hard to believe; any file is viewable on PCs so why cant I file check these files for data or convert them some other way..?

The files are there so I'm not deleting them until someone who actually knows something about coding and filing sum checking to chime in...

There's 2 files that make up the game data; the main file and the update file...
Is there a way to download an older version of the update file..?

Cause when I delete the update file and try the game offline without updating the game is useless; there is nothing highlighted on the main menu until the update is downloaded...
I have 2 sets of files some from 2016 and some from 3/2017; makes no sense really at all if there has been no update..?
I find it odd that redownloading the core files months later would make the files useless...
There's no way to file check the save files for structure or content..?
That too I find hard to believe; any file is viewable on PCs so why cant I file check these files for data or convert them some other way..?

The files are there so I'm not deleting them until someone who actually knows something about coding and filing sum checking to chime in...
Did you make sure you redownloaded them with the associated account? That's the only reason I can see for your issue. If you want information on how to tamper with your xbox save files you'll have to go somewhere else as that sort of thing isn't allowed here. https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...olicy-regarding-console-mobile-hacking.35819/

I know my 360 wasn't great about moving save files around. You might want to try an xbox forum instead.

Maybe this is in the wrong section of the forum..?
As this might more pertain to "Cross-Compatibility" than anything else; as it seems if the developers were requesting world and other save files to tinker with, I assume there is a Dev tool to test this sort of thing...
In other words I am running windows 10 on PC and that is basically being crossed with xbox1 so if the files can be converted for use on the win10/xbox1 version; and if im not mistaken owners of the 360 version have access to the same game on xbox1 or was it that all users are being forced to buy the newest version regardless of platform..?

This 1.3 release and the FE of Console version and the whole cross-compatibility thing confusing...
I would surely say this is more so for the Microsoft line of Hardware/Software version platforms more than Sony or Nintendo Product lines...

In any case this needs to be discussed so if it needs to be moved to the right sector maybe that is what should be done rather than direct one to ToS; isnt the idea of forums run by devs to receive feedback and investigate issues..?

Maybe this is in the wrong section of the forum..?
As this might more pertain to "Cross-Compatibility" than anything else; as it seems if the developers were requesting world and other save files to tinker with, I assume there is a Dev tool to test this sort of thing...
In other words I am running windows 10 on PC and that is basically being crossed with xbox1 so if the files can be converted for use on the win10/xbox1 version; and if im not mistaken owners of the 360 version have access to the same game on xbox1 or was it that all users are being forced to buy the newest version regardless of platform..?

This 1.3 release and the FE of Console version and the whole cross-compatibility thing confusing...
I would surely say this is more so for the Microsoft line of Hardware/Software version platforms more than Sony or Nintendo Product lines...

In any case this needs to be discussed so if it needs to be moved to the right sector maybe that is what should be done rather than direct one to ToS; isnt the idea of forums run by devs to receive feedback and investigate issues..?
I have no idea what dev tools Pipeworks is using on the saves or if they're usable by the general public.

Owners of the 360 version would still have to make a separate purchase of the xbox one version. No console form of Terraria is cross-buy, though the Sony systems are cross-play until the 1.3 update hits PS4.

This is the most applicable section on this forum for this issue. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to confirm that Terraria itself is at fault for your problem. That is why I suggested you try an Xbox 360 forum instead as they might be able to better meet your needs. You can also feel free to open a support ticket with 505 at http://support.505games.com/

@SlickClick You seem to be on top of things but just to make sure, when you launch Terraria does it say UPFI- (and a date) on the start screen? If it doesn't do that you aren't running the latest version, and that could be the source of your troubles.

The only other reason I can think of is that the saves are no longer associated with your childrens accounts.

Last edited:

Not entirely true, save data can be de-assigned from one profile and re-hash & re-signed to another thus allowing saves to be used by anyone else, reallocating save data signatures is pretty straight forward

@SlickClick [redacted by staff]

It sounds like what's happened is you've transferred the save data from the 360 and as it's gone to your PC then back to the Xbox, the save data has lost its "link" with the associated gamer profile, but it's not beyond repair

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Not entirely true, save data can be de-assigned from one profile and re-hash & re-signed to another thus allowing saves to be used by anyone else, reallocating save data signatures is pretty straight forward

@SlickClick [redacted by staff]

It sounds like what's happened is you've transferred the save data from the 360 and as it's gone to your PC then back to the Xbox, the save data has lost its "link" with the associated gamer profile, but it's not beyond repair

Hope this helps
The redacted portion referred to a console modding tool. We do not permit such things to be discussed openly on this forum.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...olicy-regarding-console-mobile-hacking.35819/

If you wish to contact @SlickClick via PM, that's acceptable. I realize that you're trying to help, but that particular modding tool seems to have a bad reputation for viruses and malware, beside being a violation of the Xbox EULA. We don't recommend anyone use it.

The redacted portion referred to a console modding tool. We do not permit such things to be discussed openly on this forum.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...olicy-regarding-console-mobile-hacking.35819/

If you wish to contact @SlickClick via PM, that's acceptable. I realize that you're trying to help, but that particular modding tool seems to have a bad reputation for viruses and malware, beside being a violation of the Xbox EULA. We don't recommend anyone use it.

Understood, personally I've never had an issue with "that" tool, I've ran multiple in depth malware and virus scans on it and have never found any issues, most things that are flagged are usually false positives due to access requirements of "that" program

Nevertheless, I'll take it to PM if @SlickClick wishes to pursue it further, thank you for the redaction, in future I'll bear in mind TCF rules :)

Back
Top Bottom