Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhh, the sweet sound of logic to my like-"minded" ears...and eyes...

It's like when it's 80 Degrees (F) out and you have a ice-cold 12-oz can of your choice beverage (even beer) in your hand, and you open it, and hear that beautiful "cuh-chunk" sound of popping the tab, folowed by a refreshing swig of the aforementioned beverage of choice.

To true man... (Or woman) to true...

Q2. I can feel it. Mid April, First of May 2018. I have also convinced myself that it's because of that ridiculous split screen nonsense.. who the hell plays couch co-op anymore? (If you do, just realize that you are a small minority. Don't argue.) All in all, this makes me incredibly doubt the progress of T:OW as well. Maybe we'll get to see it before 2025 maybe?

quite a few people still play couch co-op... personally, i hate online multiplayer, because it almost always involves griefing, and generally dealing with people you'd rather punch in the nose than play with.

couch co-op is still a widely used way of playing, so don't put it down as if it is obsolete.

Q2. I can feel it. Mid April, First of May 2018. I have also convinced myself that it's because of that ridiculous split screen nonsense.. who the hell plays couch co-op anymore? (If you do, just realize that you are a small minority. Don't argue.) All in all, this makes me incredibly doubt the progress of T:OW as well. Maybe we'll get to see it before 2025 maybe?

Couch co-op in Terraria is one of the most common reasons people play Console Terraria.

What a lot of young adult/adult gamers forget is that a massive portion of Terraria's demographic is comprised of younger children who may not be allowed to play online, or families who can only afford one "system" (be it a PC or an Console) for their children to play on. That split-screen couch co-op is a massive benefit to multiple child families, especially those where the parents want to play with their child and watch over what they are doing.

So with that said, I would strongly emphasize that split-screen players on Console are not a small minority, but a rather large portion of that player base. This is not a minor/underutilized feature that can be absently cut without serious detriment to Console players as a whole.

Edit: I'm gonna try and stop mentioning other games after this to. Pretty sure this forum has the common "you shouldnt talk about other games here" rule most forums do, and I have no idea how strict said rule is. So yeah, I'll try :p

Parents who play games with their kids. Siblings who only have one console. Couple's who don't want to buy multiple consoles so they can have their own screen. It's not as small of a minority as you would think. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that it's not important. Look at how big the outcry was when other games dropped split screen (Halo 5 comes to mind).

I'm frustrated at how long it's taking too. But I'm not going to be selfish and say that we should get it now even if it means others can't play.

I didnt even bother with halo 5. Only really liked the series with bungie at the helm, but having a co-op campaign was a big reason for me buying halo 4 (as it was one of the very few doing it).

In terms of games like terraria and borderlands, the gameplay is not amazing (not bad mind you, but on consoles it isnt great enough to keep me playing on it for extended periods of time...at least with the current control settings), but I still got through both of them and actually enjoyed them because I could play it with my brother.

A lot of games nowadays like to use the social aspect as a selling point, but for me personally the only time I ever end up being social in games like destiny is when I have to to complete activities like raids. With split screen co-op though me and my brother can both enjoy playing the game together as we dont have to be in seperate rooms and use a mic to talk to each other.....and me personally I find it much, much more social to talk in person then through a mic in the same house.

Not that I dont often play by myself, but in terraria I end up playing a lot of split screen co-op.

But want to know the biggest perk? You dont need 2 systems, 2 t.vs, 2 games and 2 ps+/xbox live subscribtions to play split screen....

Oh, but your selfish enough to keep the majority (I still think we are the vast majority, regardless of your statement) from playing just so you can play by some archaic method of co=op that died in the 2000s?

*sigh* this is why games like halo ditched split screen co-op, because apparently everyone believes split screen is obsolete.

Want to know the biggest reason I love split screen though? Its not because of anything above, but rather because you dont need internet at all to use it. Not that long ago I was not able to use the internet for gaming at all due to the limited ampunt of data I had from my phone plan beimg my only source of internet connection. Split screen games were some of the only fun games I had because I also had limited money (and in turn limited games). Games like terraria and borderlands ended up being some of the games I spent the most time on, but further they were the games I enjoyed the most. I could jump on with my brother and play for hours without getting bored because as most social games like to say, games are better with friends. Yeah, I loved alot of the single player games, but there is only so many times you can play them. Terraria on the other hand, I could play many, many times with my brother without getting bored because, well, I was playing with my brother.

Who seems more selfish now? Me (and others like me), people who are/were not able to play many of the games that require constand internet connections to get the most from them. People who want to play with their family/friends without having to buy another console, game etc, or you (and others like you), who are able to get the most out of any games they play because they have a constant internet they can use for gaming (I'm making an assumption), people who either have friends/family who can afford another console, game etc or just dont have friends who want to play terraria...

Mentioning other games is fine. :)

Case in point for all of this for me: Splatoon 2. Didn't buy it because no splitscreen - otherwise would have been a day one purchase to play with my two sons. Our net here is "sub par" and I am sure as heck not going to buy another console and another copy of the game just to play that one game.

Couch Co-Op is alive and well - and something that Re-Logic is personally passionate about.

Couch co-op in Terraria is one of the most common reasons people play Console Terraria.

What a lot of young adult/adult gamers forget is that a massive portion of Terraria's demographic is comprised of younger children who may not be allowed to play online, or families who can only afford one "system" (be it a PC or an Console) for their children to play on. That split-screen couch co-op is a massive benefit to multiple child families, especially those where the parents want to play with their child and watch over what they are doing.

So with that said, I would strongly emphasize that split-screen players on Console are not a small minority, but a rather large portion of that player base. This is not a minor/underutilized feature that can be absently cut without serious detriment to Console players as a whole.

that could not have been worded better. :dryadhappy:

it's honestly sad that so many people think "online play is the future", cause if anything, that only further divides people... i remember spending so much time in the earlier days of gaming playing with family, but nowadays, so many games require constant internet and multiple copies of everything to play with anyone, and not everyone has that luxury.

i still remember playing split-screen with my nephews, not just in terraria, but plenty of other games, as well.

so many fond memories of playing games like mario kart and mario party with family, i wouldn't give up couch co-op/split-screen for anything.

honestly, from my experience, i think some of the greatest memories come from playing with loved ones side by side. :dryadgrin:

Mentioning other games is fine. :)

Case in point for all of this for me: Splatoon 2. Didn't buy it because no splitscreen - otherwise would have been a day one purchase to play with my two sons. Our net here is "sub par" and I am sure as heck not going to buy another console and another copy of the game just to play that one game.

Couch Co-Op is alive and well - and something that Re-Logic is personally passionate about.

really? shame that even nintendo is falling victim to that way of thinking... hope that doesn't happen too often.

that is especially odd since nintendo is usually all about the idea of playing together.

glad to hear re-logic is passionate about this stuff, though. :dryadsmile:

The young gamers of nowadays wouldn't survive in the 90's that's for sure, us old folk remember how it used to be, why, back in my day we had to wait up to an hour for a cassette tape ( that's a piece of plastic with data stored on film ) to load - Here's looking at you commodore 64, or blow a dusty cartridge before putting it to our console via the top might I add, no discs no online play no Trophies/Gamerscore just good ol' gaming where being at the top of the games leaderboard meant bragging rights :merchanthappy:

I think that's something that I love about Terraria. It reminds me so.much of the classic NES and SNES systems in both graphics and pure open world exploration. Nothing telling you where you have to go from the start. Just figuring things out as you go.

Some of my fondest memories are me and my brother playing those classic games. Then having Halo parties where several friends would lug TV's around to system link everything.
Shoot I still play Smash Bros Melee competitively lol. And that requires playing side by side with others. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Do you have an update on the progress down the road to certification?

We're over three weeks into a "few more weeks", so it would be nice to hear if things are still on track. Or if you're anywhere near setting submission or release dates.
Don’t worry, the update will be out “soon” we don’t have a release date yet but we are close to finishing it.
This is said in literally every video they do and then they delay it even further
“We are seeing good progress with the update”
Delays the update a few weeks later

Oh look, "gasp" another delay. Who could have seen this coming. At this point, i think people would have been more suprised if you guys had actually kept your word for a change. Terraria devs have destroyed any credibility you may have had left with this announcement. Only so many times a company can take my money and lie to me, before they are no longer worth my time. Only hope that folks who are thinking about buying one of your games in the future look back over your history, and can see what they are in for. Way to alienate your customers. I had high hopes for this update. Thanks for rewarding folks patience with further disappointment.

be pacient there working on it you would take longer if you did it and would you want a glitchy or a smooth and playable game

Khaosbringer said:
Only so many times a company can take my money and lie to me, before they are no longer worth my time.

So.....once? They only took your money once, and technically you paid Re-Logic, not PipeWorks, Re-Logic pays PipeWorks.

However, before you say technically you did give PipeWorks your money in the end, you didn't, you gave it to Re-Logic first, so it is now their money.

So.....once? They only took your money once, and technically you paid Re-Logic, not PipeWorks, Re-Logic pays PipeWorks.

However, before you say technically you did give PipeWorks your money in the end, you didn't, you gave it to Re-Logic first, so it is now their money.
@ShadowOfDarkness, this simmering argument needs to end. You've made it clear repeatedly that you disagree with him, and neither of you is going to budge from your opinions. Please, just drop it.

My mind has began to imagine new challenges to keep itself occupied. It’s telling me now to go fight a Dungeon Guardian with a Copper Shortsword. I hope we’re almost done here. Can’t wait for Moon Lord and Cultist!

My mind has began to imagine new challenges to keep itself occupied. It’s telling me now to go fight a Dungeon Guardian with a Copper Shortsword. I hope we’re almost done here. Can’t wait for Moon Lord and Cultist!
It has to be done “soon” but I don’t know what soon means anymore. Anyways I have the same hopes as you because I really need this update now so that I have something to do other than the current games I’m playing now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom