Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Item binding should be reintroduced. It worked so well and snappy, as well as offered a lot more freedom.
In the control options there is one for Directional Pad something. Toggle it on and you can bind items to the D pad
- Auto-select is stupid and should be removed completely. It does nothing advantagous.
I use autoselect most of the time. Don't get rid of this! Just toggle to direct select and leave it there if you don't like autoselect.
[doublepost=1513323923,1513323609][/doublepost]Just started a new world so I got into the crafting menu. It's horrible! IF you have all the ingredients to make something, it'll show in the list. IF you're standing on the correct work station to make it (ie sawmill or anvil). But I'd forgotten how to make a bed and couldn't look in the crafting area to figure out what I needed. Then I had to figure out which workstation to use. Also, if you have a lot of building supplies in your inventory, you could scroll through the list of possible items to make for days! The whole crafting area was beyond frustrating!

Also agree with cadoba about crafting something and not going directly to the inventory. It should do that automatically.

It's great to FINALLY have a minimap, more inventory space, & the autopause (YES!!!) option, but there are many HUGE issues with the 1.3 update (I'm on PS4 Pro, BTW):

-- It looks like the Vita cross-save feature has been removed. That was the main reason I bought the console & Vita versions, even after having the PC one for over a year, and it's a **HUGE** loss.

-- Severe player & world select times (up to 30 seconds each), even after loading them multiple times. And I'm using an SSHD!

-- The screen zoom feature is hidden in the general menu, instead of being able to use the original pinch-zoom on the touchpad (why change something that worked perfectly???). You can barely see the option in the menu's lower-left corner. It's a good thing someone on YouTube was able to find it, or I never would have.

-- Occasional lag & frame drops

-- Control options reset every single time you start (I use the console setting, using D-pad shortcuts, and I hate having to reselect and set them up over & over).

-- All item slots redefine the term "translucent" and are almost completely clear, which makes it nearly impossible to see what's available depending on the background.

-- The text is EXTREMELY tiny (and I'm using a 55" TV), and has a non-stop & EXTREMELY annoying flashing which makes it even harder to read. It's seriously easier to read on the Vita! And why put the item stats on top of them???

-- Not able to view crafting options anymore unless I have every single mat. How am I supposed to know I can make a diamond staff or a phasesaber?

-- All NPC names have been changed to their class title in all of my games, which takes away their personalities. No more "Jimmy commands you!"

-- The main map can't be moved diagonally anymore (not a major issue, but it's very annoying after being able to use it that way for years).

This is a wonderful update to finally get, but the previous version played & looked so much better. Here's hoping most (if not all) of these can be fixed soon, or at least we're given an option to go back to the earlier version. I want my Vita cross-save!

Last edited:
This update has been very overwhelming to me and it feels like a total overhaul of the game. I like being able to start up my game and know what I'm doing after I've been playing so much.
Here's a few things that make it unplayable for me till I wrap my head around the changes:
-Can't zoom in/out on the play screen, too far away
-Can't set to my original controls(that's the most frustrating)
-Game doesn't pause on any screen now, even what I would assume what would be called the pause screen
-Mini map no longer uncovers a square around you, only tunnels are visible now, making it hard to even think about looking for chests/ore
-Descriptions of items being over the other items in your bag make it very difficult to read and see what's underneath
-Takes about 3-5 times longer starting up game/selecting character/creating or choosing world
I'm really hoping the new content will outweigh these changes... So far I feel like I've lost, not gained
Edit: Sorry I didn't realize how long that was and I hope I didn't sound too negative
Hit options, then use L2/R2 to zoom

I agree that while the new menus don't make the game unplayable I certainly want the old ones back and seriously doubt I'll play much until they do.

The transparency and blinking text make it very difficult to see and I'm playing on a 65 inch TV.

The new zoom method is bearable, but the pinch to zoom is preferable.

Ok so I've been playing a while now. I love the look, but some issues make things very difficult.

1) UI
While the new version may work on PC, it doesn't on console from across a room: transparent inventory, with a floating transparent item info box makes for impossible reading. Maybe a means to increase opacity and scale would help.

2) Crafting
Seems like a step backwards. I) Crafted items aren't auto-placed into inventory so you can't quickly make a few different things. II) Can't see recipes if you don't have all the items, which was useful. III) What's with the other crafting thing that pops up under the invo? EDITED: Ok I worked out the last part - it's a quick craft menu that pops up a grid showing things you can craft; clicking X takes you to the item on the crafting list.

3) Controls
It feels like it's meant to be played on PC now where you can bind individual items to keys for quick select. I haven't found a ways to quick select items, and that can be a killer in a fight.

4) Graphics
Love them. It looks stunning. Just a little small sometimes.

5) Splitscreen
Sorry, but it's worse than it was before. Utterly unreadable now. The UI is small single player, but its minuscule on splitscreen. I know you spent a lot of time on it, but it doesn't seem like an improvement, sorry.

So for I am loving the game still, but the UI issues are a real problem. It feels like we're being made to play something that is supposed to be played on PC rather than console. PC/laptop screens are different to TV screens. Small text is fine when you sit close to the screen, but no on a TV across the room. The controls feel like more buttons are needed to get the most out of it.

I get that the end goal is one Terraria across all platforms, but that isn't always doable. There have to be inevitable differences between the systems, and UI is a major one. Before it felt like a console version, and now it feels like a pc port.

Thank you for all the work you put into it. It's clear you have spent a lot of time on it. If the issues of the UI are addressed that would go along way to making the game perfect.

EDITED: Just wanted to add a few cool things I've found. Apologies if they seem obvious lol.

Being able to click R3 to temporarily hold a torch for light is very useful. I also like how when you first encounter something like an orb in the corruption the tool required to break it is shown over it.

Placement preview is very handy too.

I was in two minds when I first wrote this post but after a little longer getting used to the changes I can see how much better it is. I do still stand by my concerns regarding the UI. It is very straining.

Last edited:
Here are the things my husband and I (playing on separate consoles) have to say about the new update:

The Menu
  • The menu is very hard to see. Please don’t squish all the menus into one screen. Having multiple tabs within one window would be great.
  • The small flashing text that pops up and obstructs the view of the items behind it is difficult to use. The old styled menu with items on the left and description on the right is more intuitive and fits console gaming better.
  • Zooming in causes the whole menu/UI to become opaque/transparent. The UI returns to normal once you zoom completely back out. This is making the underlying issue of the menu being hard to see worse.
  • Build mode (L3) is also affected by the zoom bug. It causes the grid in build mode to become almost invisible when you are zoomed in.
  • The crafting menu has no option of toggling on ‘Show All Recipes’ without the required materials. This is definitely something that needs to be looked into, as most console players surely wouldn’t want to feel required to look up recipes on a browser during gameplay.
Gameplay
  • There is no more character lighting. This causes your character to completely disappear into the darkness in dark areas like caves. This probably isn’t an issue on PC where you’re right next to your screen, but on a TV 10ft away it’s hard to see.
  • Zooming in and out without going into the pause menu is a much needed change.
  • The random lag spikes occur in converted worlds and newly generated worlds. It makes the game feel very clunky. It seems to occur more frequently when moving around, but also happens when standing still.
Multiplayer
  • Joining a friend in the ingame join function does not work, the screen goes blank. I have to go to my friends list on my PS4 and join that way.

We appreciate the time and effort put into this update. My husband and I were very excited to play the new update, but unfortunately the UI is so unwieldy that it is taking away from the enjoyment.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps.

rebind the vital D-Pad Shortcuts:

Post #73 Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

for a lot of people this is a little bit hard to find out by themselves (me included in the first place, asked that same question) - after rebinding I could enjoy the new PS4 gameplay content way better. When the interface zoom function from PC is finding it's way to the console than it's quite fine - old style gameplay touchpad zoom was and would be again a nice PS4 controller exclusive feature. With minor lags occurring in moment - I guess they will vanish as the game gets minor updates in future. As of now I'm beginning to be happy with it : - ) . Its undoubtedly a huge effort to recode the base game and include all the new items and features. thumps up!

Last edited:
As nice as it was to find a surprise update, I don't have perfect vision and I'm finding it practically unplayable. It's commendable that this game is still getting free updates and support but I'd like the old resolution, menu and controls back please

While I understand wanting a "one Terraria" experience across all platforms, I think there needs to be a compromise or concessions for the console versions. A straight up PC port does not work well on a console, as certain control and interface elements are necessary for that console experience.

First, all console games need a UI that is readable from the couch. With this update the size and transparency of text makes it extremely hard to read. Play in split-screen and this problem is magnified x1000.

Second, all console games by default pause when opening the start menu. This is a necessity with the way most console users play. Removing this causes nothing but frustration.

Third, as much as you want the same interface across all platforms for the sake of coding, the PC interface doesn't work on consoles. You need a interface that can be easily navigated with a controller, keeping in mind the limitations that come with that. While it would require different code, I see no reason the old interface style couldn't be used.

Finally, removing the zoom from the touch pad was a huge mistake. Why not use every available feature that a PS4 controller provides?

Pleas don't take this as snark, but this update feels more like a direct PC port than a Terraria experience on console.

So, I just tried out terraria 1.3 on my ps4, got the old controls, but it is still a lot different. I'm mostly talking about the menus and the circle crosshair.
The menus are now just like PC, and it's really annoying to get in the right one then do what you want,... I use to open my inventory in the middle of a fight, etc. I think it is really odd. I think that the old menus were a lot better, and easier to use. Just adding slots and stuff would have been the right thing, instead of changing everything. It should be possible for the players to choose wheter they wish to play with the old or new menus.
Crosshairs now. The crosshairs' sensitivity was extremely well done, and there I could engage in more skilled fights than I can now, because the new sensitivity is kinda odd and less precise.
I also feel like playing with a controller, even with the old controls, is just not adapted for 1.3. I would love to have some kind of mouse and keyboard support, because it just feels really good in the way the 1.3 is coded. That's all for me, and I hope that you will all take some time to think about it. Have a good day !

Here's what I have to say about the new update

+ UI is almost like the PC version
+ I like the addition where you can edit your controls now
+ solid fine gameplay like nothing's changed, some slow downs and some bugs here and there but nonetheless almost like PC.
- (PS4) you can only zoom by pressing the pause menu and using the triggers to zoom instead of using the touchscreen in game
- converting takes a pretty long time
- Inventory could have some improvements in splitsceen (horizontal)
suggestion: splitscreen should have the option to split the screens horizontal or vertical, only option is horizontal which makes it hard for me and my sibling to manage through the inventory
suggestion: the ability to change UI size
suggestion: the ability to bind two buttons for the same action like X/A and L3/Left Stick for jump (I'd absolutely love this)
suggestion: the autoaim feature like on pc
suggestion: ability to skip the introductions when you start up the game

Overall I love the new update, some things just need some tinkering.

Last edited:
Appreciate the constructive feedback that most are giving.

Rest assured it is all being read and digested - that does not mean everything will be implemented, of course, just that it is being heard.

Some of these things are a move to the actual intended core design of the game whereas what was before was a departure that might have been convenient but it was never the vision. Example: crafting recipes. That is the role of the Guide - show him what you have (anything that says "material") and he shares what you can craft. The ability to see every recipe ever was never intended. I get that it is a transition when you are used to that, so apologies there.

Some are just things that I would encourage people to take more time to adjust to. Change - even good change - is stressful and hard. Things are in new places, things work differently. Totally get that.

Some other things I know we will likely discuss as a team and consider tweaks to improve the experience.

All that to say thanks to all those taking the time to provide constructive feedback and give things a chance - it is that dialogue loop that helps things to evolve and improve. Cheers to you. :cool:

About the autoaim, that is a great idea
[doublepost=1513349911,1513349537][/doublepost]It is also pretty hard to get on a minecart. You should be able to get on it just by being close, because it's kinda hard to aim for it
[doublepost=1513350343][/doublepost]As for the new menus, you should be able to get to each one of them just like if they were part of the same inventory

Has anyone lost any items? I’ve tried to place a keg, boreal wood, and books up in my top invatory row and had them vanish. Not in trash, not thrown onto ground, just complete vanish?

Yes. I have a fireplace disappear. I thought it was just me being senile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom