Console That's No Moon... It's a Moonlord: Terraria 1.3 Launches on PS4, XB1 Submitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't ever guessing or assuming. Using (The possibly close to false) information from searching on Swim Goggles, I was estimating that the 1.3 update would be released from Monday-Saturday.

I never understood why they wanted to change it anyway. The old UI was built for consoles and controllers in mind and this one clearly wasn't. they retroactively added in controller support to the pc version but for all that I played it on pc with a controller it was never better than manageable and clearly wasn't a great solution ever. Yet they replaced the really competent and usuable console UI with.....this. honestly I try not to be harsh but it's like a bad implementation of a bad UI, which was really bad to use for controllers from the start. How someone seemingly didn't think aBout how bad it is when testing it blows my mind a little bit
This need some to be seen more. The only changes I see made that may be beneficial is the favorite option for the been inventory UI, and as someone who has modified and developed game inventories before it wouldn’t be too difficult to just implement new features into the old UI. Apart from the terrible aesthetic and functionality of the new inventory, it also causes a lot of eye strain even when sitting three feet away from my tv which, by the way, is a necessity considering that the transparency of this UI makes it impossible to see anything, and this isn’t helped by the terrible and minuscule size of the HUD and general UI

Yes. This is not my world, I can’t get on a PS4 (because I don’t have one :p) right now. It’s chippygamings 1.3 reaction video.

Yeah, thanks - I got more detail on this later in the night and I have the detailed issue sent in. (apparently if they die and respawn the names fix themselves...and this only happens on legacy worlds)

So now do we have to wait 6-12 months for them to add the option of the old inventory UI?

There is almost zero chance of "just revert the old UI" - the far more likely road is "ok how can we take what is here and tweak it to cover the biggest issues that people have". Just being up front with folks on that so that we can focus on those solutions and ideas.

I asked Loki and he was going to check into this. I haven’t found a way to do this myself and am afraid of loosing my world’s save.

How can you not notice the fact that there ( seems to be) no way of uploading to the cloud?

One of our moderators played around with this - its just not in the actual game now - its in the Sony menus. Image and steps below. This was on the new update, PS4.

ps4-upload-download-1.jpg

How on earth can you not notice the online game save overwriting your local one?

It was noticed long ago - and fixed at the time. For some reason, it crept out of the weeds again. Have already asked how that came to pass.

e are going to "get used to" not being able to see?

Get used to the design of the new UI? Yeah. That doesn't mean that it cannot be tweaked or evolved around the core complaints that everyone has had. As I said in the Feedback Thread, I have a good list of complaints (and they are consistent) and ideas that folks interested in finding solutions have provided. Once the major bugs are squashed, that list will be discussed and then we will see what ideas the team decides to implement in that area from there.

And you can't tell me pc people are fine with it either because I've seen a pile of threads complaining about it and there are multiple mods available to address it. If your primary user base is taking it into their own hands to fix it, maybe it actually needs some attention, just sayin.

Quite a bit of hyperbole there. Will just leave it at that. ;)

have a slider for classic console ui and new pipeworks ui, even though I actually enjoy Pipeworks one

That is extremely unlikely to occur. For one, as people have noted, those are two different things entirely - so its not as simple as "adding a slider" like one would for volume. Far more realistic is to take what is here and say "ok what do people dislike the most....transparency? Text size? Blinking Text? Etc....ok how can we improve this in those areas to lessen or remove those issues". Several folks have already provided some solid ideas in that space. I've been noting all of them down as we go.

Ok, thanks Loki for making it very clear we can say goodbye to the previous, superior console interface.

Maybe it was a better idea to release this update as a new (crossbuy) release with free demo instead, so people could've chosen.

"Terraria, Now With More Content!"
(but also a PC interface which doesn't suit consoles very well...)

It would've saved you guys from all this backlash.

Ok, thanks Loki for making it very clear we can say goodbye to the previous, superior console interface.

Maybe it was a better idea to release this update as a new (crossbuy) release with free demo instead, so people could've chosen.

"Terraria, Now With More Content!"
(but also a PC interface which doesn't suit consoles very well...)

It would've saved you guys from all this backlash.
That's a bit rude...:sigh:
[doublepost=1513548933,1513548717][/doublepost]Plus if the new ui was really that terrible on a controller they would've kept it the same.

Why? If you make such drastic changes people need a choice, obviously.

Imagine any other game released a (forced) update with a complete overhauled UI (and as a bonus more slowdown/stuttering, networking issues, etc.) It would create a backlash for any other title with at least part of the costumers. Release it as DLC or a separate title with demo, and there's a choice for them to test it out and participate if they like the new experience.

I'm with @Moat here, a grid based system isn't a good fit for controllers. Look at Diablo 3 or Minecraft on consoles vs PC. When I was playing Terraria on PC I'd switch to mouse for inventory management then back to controller for actually playing. At least in the crafting system some kind of organization is needed, the big grid of all items available isn't very convenient.

I'm with @Moat here, a grid based system isn't a good fit for controllers. Look at Diablo 3 or Minecraft on consoles vs PC. When I was playing Terraria on PC I'd switch to mouse for inventory management then back to controller for actually playing. At least in the crafting system some kind of organization is needed, the big grid of all items available isn't very convenient.
I haven't seen what the new UI looks like so I wouldn't know.

I haven't seen what the new UI looks like so I wouldn't know.

Then how can you say I'm being rude with my comment :)

It's the PC UI which doesn't work for couch play in its current state.

It reminds me of the Windows 8 fiasco (where start menu was replaced by something new). Many people complained about it and eventually Microsoft gave us back the old experience in Windows 10. Hoping the same thing will happen for Terraria console...

Stop guessing about certification times... you're assuming MS won't find any issues (some XboxOne requirements are very different from PS4, mostly stuff related to profiles signing in and out, parental controls/user generated content, as well as their suspend 'feature'). Also Pipeworks might want to fix some bugs reported by PS4 players first and resubmit (basically moving the certification process back to a certain level).
It would probably be a good idea if they do withdraw the submission and resubmit when the most critical bugs have been fixed. Unlike on PS4 it is very difficult/impossible to make a backup of your saves on Xbox One.

Well your more forceful with your Constructive criticism and it just comes off as being rude.`:(

My language isn't rude at all. So on these forums I just have to post in such a way so it pleases the developers?

I don't like various things about the update (and I am not the only one). I think we're free to air out our feelings.

Why? If you make such drastic changes people need a choice, obviously.

Imagine any other game released a (forced) update with a complete overhauled UI (and as a bonus more slowdown/stuttering, networking issues, etc.) It would create a backlash for any other title with at least part of the costumers. Release it as DLC or a separate title with demo, and there's a choice for them to test it out and participate if they like the new experience.

You got a free update to a 6 year old game. FOR FREE. Yeah, I will admit to there being issues, but the simple fact is they didn't have to do any of this and could have done what most other companies do; 'screw console gamers, we aren't gonna make any more money off of them'. But they didn't. They chose to do this to make good on their word. Be happy they are taking the feedback and are going to do something about it. Or switch to PC and have a whole different set of issues to deal with.

Can you get me a screenshot of this when it happens again? Also detailed step-by-step if you have a way to make it occur every time (like your method above, does that always make it happen?

Apologies for the late reply, Loki. I have been playing around getting the problem to duplicate, and I have found a fairly reliable situation to cause it to happen.
What seems to work the best is messing around with the dyes for your pet and/or light pet. There's not really a set sequence of actions that cause it, but it can be anytime during changing dyes for another, removing a dye, or adding a dye to an empty slot. I have a good amount of screenshots I can share of it:
Before:
K6ttoZX.jpg
After:
S7SSCxF.jpg

In the above, it caused all sprites to disappear completely, in some other occasions it will cause all sprites to go static, or some sprites to go static while others disappear, like so:
cRp4BVe.jpg

tJea0ad.jpg
I also noticed that when this happens, it kills the sprite for most things that are "summoned"- The fist in the Nebula Blaze, for example, disappears, as well as the rings of the Razorblade Typhoon, but the particle trails themselves all still exist for everything.

I couldn't recreate the sprite glitch while placing and grappling, but I found out that might have actually happened due to grappling itself also triggering this bug after dye placement:
vntHTjH.jpg

i5Wx0l8.jpg

I found two other (very small) problems while doing this as well- The first I couldn't really get a screenshot of, but it happens every time I open my first door- It will cause the highlight on all other doors to blink madly without any signs of stopping, and occasionally cause the mana bar to blink as well.
The second is kind of weird. Occasionally after my summons kill a monster, a death message will pop up with my character (Marcassan)'s name on it, although he'll be alive and well. On top of it being random, the death message will pop up as white with the hexadecimal value for what the text color should be (Which I imagine is the result of a color tag not being closed.):
mLsv7nf.jpg

If need be, I have more images of the glitches in, as well as videos for all the above-mentioned glitches (including the door one) in action if they would help.

Oh! And since I see others talking about the UI, I thought I'd put my two cents in as well- I'm pretty happy with it currently, but I do feel the opacity for inventory/chests needs to be ramped up a bit, it's hard to see what you're selecting at times. Some of the stuff is a little harder to find as well (like the section where you can turn off/check your buffs) They're just too transparent, so it's easy to pass them up without knowing it.

Hope some of this helps!:dryadsmile:

Last edited:
You got a free update to a 6 year old game. FOR FREE. Yeah, I will admit to there being issues, but the simple fact is they didn't have to do any of this and could have done what most other companies do; 'screw console gamers, we aren't gonna make any more money off of them'. But they didn't. They chose to do this to make good on their word. Be happy they are taking the feedback and are going to do something about it. Or switch to PC and have a whole different set of issues to deal with.

First of all I've seen posts from people just buying the game a few weeks ago, so they don't care about it being an old game. They just have a hard time to adjust to the overhauled 'experience'.

Okay, some analogy:

You got a free upgrade to your house, completely FREE of charge! Your garden is much prettier now and you can store extra stuff in your garage. However your doors now don't open as they used to (if you placed furniture on one side) and if you want to cook some food in your kitchen you have to look up recipes on wikipedia, because they snatched all your cookbooks. Also the microwave, TV and other equipment in your house have new remotes and new front panels installed and you can't make sense of them. As icing on the cake they replaced your glasses with new ones. You're now unable to read books, labels or subtitles.

Not the best analogy, I guess... but it's late for me and I hope it gives some insight in how some of us feel. Reading posts where people say their kids don't want to play anymore because it's no longer the same game, where people with not the best eye-sight complain it ruins the game for them, etc. touches me. So I hope Pipeworks listens and learns from us and makes some fundamental changes.

First of all I've seen posts from people just buying the game a few weeks ago, so they don't care about it being an old game. They just have a hard time to adjust to the overhauled 'experience'.

Okay, some analogy:

You got a free upgrade to your house, completely FREE of charge! Your garden is much prettier now and you can store extra stuff in your garage. However your doors now don't open as they used to (if you placed furniture on one side) and if you want to cook some food in your kitchen you have to look up recipes on wikipedia, because they snatched all your cookbooks. Also the microwave, TV and other equipment in your house have new remotes and new front panels installed and you can't make sense of them. As icing on the cake they replaced your glasses with new ones. You're now unable to read books, labels or subtitles.

Not the best analogy, I guess... but it's late for me and I hope it gives some insight in how some of us feel. Reading posts where people say their kids don't want to play anymore because it's no longer the same game, where people with not the best eye-sight complain it ruins the game for them, etc. touches me. So I hope Pipeworks listens and learns from us and makes some fundamental changes.
I would argue that by removing the in-game crafting guide they give the guide more purpose since he can tell you what certain items craft. However, with an in-game crafting guide you have a better sense of what to do next.

The analogy you made was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom