Console That's No Moon... It's a Moonlord: Terraria 1.3 Launches on PS4, XB1 Submitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with @Moat here, a grid based system isn't a good fit for controllers. Look at Diablo 3 or Minecraft on consoles vs PC. When I was playing Terraria on PC I'd switch to mouse for inventory management then back to controller for actually playing. At least in the crafting system some kind of organization is needed, the big grid of all items available isn't very convenient.

This is exactly the problem. The pc terraria interface was designed (we will use that word loosely) many years ago for use with a mouse. And controller support was relatively recently patched in and was... Ignorable at best because you could still use k/m. even if you preferred controllers, you didn't in this game!.

There is very little UI or UX crossover between the standard mousing grid based systems and the (fairly standard at this point for consoles) cross bar or radial menu for use with any kind of menu. Look what blizzard did with diablo. A new team went away and worked on control and interface reworks for months because the pc interface was not intuitive or navigable with a controller and blizzard refused to entertain the idea of releasing the game on console without some major redesign. But pipeworks have actively went and replaced the old UI with an objectively worse system, just for party's sake with PC, regardless of how usable it is. Same with Minecraft crafting system, or even Sony's cross media bar or Microsoft's blades menus. Why does everyone fondly remember the blades and hate all the tile nonsense of Xbox menu system? Because one is simple straight forward and intuitive to use and works really REALLY well with a controller.... and the other just doesnt do it as well.

Yet here we have a complete regression as an unfortunate side effect of trying to unify all the versions of terraria. I realise they want it to be feature complete and in parity with the PC version. But they've taken the OPPOSITE step of every game developer seemingly in history and actively chose to change a good and competent console UI for a makeshift PC controller hybrid system that seems to be inferior every way I look at it. I'm no expert but I (and most people) know bad design when they see it and feel it, interfere with their gameplay.

My son has been beside himself in anticipation waiting for this update for well over a year.

Now we've played it for a whole weekend and he's just so...gutted because his favourite game ever is just a pain in the yoohoo to play now. And I can't even disagree with him!

Last edited:
First of all I've seen posts from people just buying the game a few weeks ago, so they don't care about it being an old game. They just have a hard time to adjust to the overhauled 'experience'.

Okay, some analogy:

You got a free upgrade to your house, completely FREE of charge! Your garden is much prettier now and you can store extra stuff in your garage. However your doors now don't open as they used to (if you placed furniture on one side) and if you want to cook some food in your kitchen you have to look up recipes on wikipedia, because they snatched all your cookbooks. Also the microwave, TV and other equipment in your house have new remotes and new front panels installed and you can't make sense of them. As icing on the cake they replaced your glasses with new ones. You're now unable to read books, labels or subtitles.

Not the best analogy, I guess... but it's late for me and I hope it gives some insight in how some of us feel. Reading posts where people say their kids don't want to play anymore because it's no longer the same game, where people with not the best eye-sight complain it ruins the game for them, etc. touches me. So I hope Pipeworks listens and learns from us and makes some fundamental changes.

Regardless of when purchased, this is an old game. An almost 7 year old game. When was the last time you heard of a company updating that old of a game? I'll save the thinking and say none (not counting re-releases like Master Chief Collection, which was a godawful buggy release). And this is ONLY an updated UI experience because they weren't exposed to the PC version. Again, I also have grievances against how it looks and operates. But the thing to remember is that no product is perfect, ever. There will be growing pains.

On to your analogy; would you expect a door to open when you place a table behind it IRL? No, that would be silly. And looking up recipes? Yeah, that's annoying, but IRL, you would still have to look it up (or have an encyclopedia for a brain). I'm not going to argue the vision bits, because out of all of this, that seems like I would have major issue with as well.

The main point to all of this is that your tone didn't give off a constructive air or even a modicum of thanks for free stuff. I am thrilled I get to fight the Moonlord and then on to Expert mode. But backhanded rhetoric and an entitled manner doesn't help your case. I am not attacking you, I'm just saying that a little bit of patience and thanks that your release wasn't delayed again should alleviate your concerns. Imagine it for X1 players; we have to see all of this and just hope that there is some kind deity that will allow us to see it before it hits 7 years and pray that we will have a slightly better time with all of these issues at least out in the open.

Regardless of when purchased, this is an old game. An almost 7 year old game. When was the last time you heard of a company updating that old of a game? I'll save the thinking and say none (not counting re-releases like Master Chief Collection, which was a godawful buggy release). And this is ONLY an updated UI experience because they weren't exposed to the PC version. Again, I also have grievances against how it looks and operates. But the thing to remember is that no product is perfect, ever. There will be growing pains.

On to your analogy; would you expect a door to open when you place a table behind it IRL? No, that would be silly. And looking up recipes? Yeah, that's annoying, but IRL, you would still have to look it up (or have an encyclopedia for a brain). I'm not going to argue the vision bits, because out of all of this, that seems like I would have major issue with as well.

The main point to all of this is that your tone didn't give off a constructive air or even a modicum of thanks for free stuff. I am thrilled I get to fight the Moonlord and then on to Expert mode. But backhanded rhetoric and an entitled manner doesn't help your case. I am not attacking you, I'm just saying that a little bit of patience and thanks that your release wasn't delayed again should alleviate your concerns. Imagine it for X1 players; we have to see all of this and just hope that there is some kind deity that will allow us to see it before it hits 7 years and pray that we will have a slightly better time with all of these issues at least out in the open.
I just watched a video on how the new UI works and it's definitely worse than the old one.

This is exactly the problem. The pc terraria interface was designed (we will use that word loosely) many years ago for use with a mouse. And controller support was relatively recently patched in and was... Ignorable at best because you could still use k/m. even if you preferred controllers, you didn't in this game!.

There is very little UI or UX crossover between the standard mousing grid based systems and the (fairly standard at this point for consoles) cross bar or radial menu for use with any kind of menu. Look what blizzard did with diablo. A new team went away and worked on control and interface reworks for months because the pc interface was not intuitive or navigable with a controller and blizzard refused to entertain the idea of releasing the game on console without some major redesign. But pipeworks have actively went and replaced the old UI with an objectively worse system, just for party's sake with PC, regardless of how usable it is. Same with Minecraft crafting system, or even Sony's cross media bar or Microsoft's blades menus. Why does everyone fondly remember the blades and hate all the tile nonsense of Xbox menu system? Because one is simple straight forward and intuitive to use and works really REALLY well with a controller.... and the other just doesnt do it as well.

Yet here we have a complete regression as an unfortunate side effect of trying to unify all the versions of terraria. I realise they want it to be feature complete and in parity with the PC version. But they've taken the OPPOSITE step of every game developer seemingly in history and actively chose to change a good and competent console UI for a makeshift PC controller hybrid system that seems to be inferior every way I look at it. I'm no expert but I (and most people) know bad design when they see it and feel it, interfere with their gameplay.

My son has been beside himself in anticipation waiting for this update for well over a year.

Now we've played it for a whole weekend and he's just so...gutted because his favourite game ever is just a pain in the yoohoo to play now. And I can't even disagree with him!
Diablo 3 is a great example. They carefully considered the controls and UI when they moved to console and created a great version of the game that worked really well there. This new UI for terraria doesn't really give an impression that there was that consideration and thought put into how the console experience works beyond making it the same as the PC (regardless of whether the PC UI is even appropriate for the platform.)

I dont want to change anyone's opinion or anything, but minecraft changed its UI when 1.12 came to consoles, I hated it at first, now Im used to it, For those who dont like it, well get used to it and be greatful they put effort in updating the game in 2 years, and those who have it on PS4 and complain, we Xbox players cant wait, seeing these negative things make uwprorry how it's going to be

Fist of all, a LOT of company's have updated their games, even WAAAAy after 7 years. And console is only 4 years old. Examples: GMod, Minrcraft, and many more.

I dont want to change anyone's opinion or anything, but minecraft changed its UI when 1.12 came to consoles, I hated it at first, now Im used to it, For those who dont like it, well get used to it and be greatful they put effort in updating the game in 2 years, and those who have it on PS4 and complain, we Xbox players cant wait, seeing these negative things make uwprorry how it's going to be

Yeah It makes me worry to.... i still hope we get it in 2017....

Just made an account to post here. Player on PS4 since it launched. Thank you for the admin presence in the boards (no man's sky), it is appreciated.

I only play local co op, with my two boys and wife (only game she'll play!). This 1.3 update ruined that, I'm afraid.

Our legacy world crashes, any crafted item (doors, chests, torches, banners) blink in and out, then disappear. Even hovering over where they should be, its like nothing is there.

Co op crashes the same way on newly created (not legacy) worlds, wherever someone with a legacy character joins. So, completely unplayable with our old world and characters.

Made a new world, new characters, and family cannot use the co op menu UI. Its bad in single player, but cannot even fathom how to read it in a four way split screen on a 55" tv mounted about 5' high on the wall.

I feel like asking for a refund is inappropriate, because I did not have to pay for 1.3, but in essence, you took away a game that my family has loved over the years. I've been looking online for old physical disk copies of the game, because I'd rather continue building and playing without the extra features of 1.3.

My suggestion is to offer a way to roll back 1.3 until fixed, and make 1.3 dlc as a paid option. Win win in my eyes.

- John

minecraft changed its UI when 1.12 came to consoles
My son plays Minecraft religiously. Except for adding new tabs the console interface is the same one I've seen since the console version released. What Terraria had done is equivalent to Minecraft completely removing the tabbed crafting menu and making you use the PC version's crafting grid where you place blocks in the shape of the item.

Console and PC have different interface needs. I hope what Loki said about listening and adjusting based on our feedback actually comes to pass. Currently I'm not enjoying playing the PS4 version.

Minecraft is actually a great example, they recently released the "better together edition" which ported over all the PC UI and... people hated it and the xbox one version with the console UI is outselling it.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/min...-one-edition-over-the-better-together-version

"The new crafting and inventory menus are quite cumbersome and seem rushed. It now takes easily twice as long to perform trivial tasks like swapping items in these menus in creative mode. The previous setup was much more streamlined and easier to use,"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-13-minecrafts-better-together-update-is-a-mess-on-console

"This is the major reason that keeps me from moving away from Xbox One Edition," one fan wrote. "I cannot stand the current BTU UI using a controller."

"When playing on the Xbox, the Play Together UI is a large step backwards from what we have in the console edition, both in terms of layout and responsiveness," another added.

"I'm honestly just gonna play regular Xbox One edition until they fix this, the new UI on Xbox is far, far worse and alienating to Xbox players," a third fan agreed.

Sounds familiar...

@Loki You are either wrong or mistaken about the upload/download on the cloud saves.

I go to that option on the main menu, and it's doesn't list my saves as being there on the cloud - but I know they are because I can still download them onto my PS3/Vita versions of Terraria.

Worth looking into.

Made a new world, new characters, and family cannot use the co op menu UI. Its bad in single player, but cannot even fathom how to read it in a four way split screen on a 55" tv mounted about 5' high on the wall.

I feel like asking for a refund is inappropriate, because I did not have to pay for 1.3, but in essence, you took away a game that my family has loved over the years. I've been looking online for old physical disk copies of the game, because I'd rather continue building and playing without the extra features of 1.3.

My suggestion is to offer a way to roll back 1.3 until fixed, and make 1.3 dlc as a paid option. Win win in my eyes.

- John

Dude I feel your pain. My son has been beside himself for over a year waiting on this update so he could fight the moonlord like the youtubbers he watches. How they could have tested this and thought yep looks good, roll it out if becoming increasingly baffling as I look through this forum and the subreddit. The bug list is growing at an alarming rate but hey they are bugs and they will get squashed over time. What blows my MIND, is how they could sign off on the UI elements and split screen. 2 player split screen is impossible, I cannot IMAGINE trying to do 4player. They said they had split screen bugs to work on fixing For the longest part of the tail end here, maybe that's the stretching and crashing bugs and they just had to push it out, but how when they were testing it could they not see the insanity of the sizing of the UI being a problem?

I feel bad from them. They are clearly undersupported or understaffed or something major has gone wrong. You cannot get it this wrong accidentally.

Incidentally, does anyone know how to unsummon a pet from a staff? Like the new dragon, seeing as it crashes the game if you die with it out. No-one I've spoke to can find a way to unsummon the thing other than to leave the world. Which removes all your dpad hot keys as well. Every time. ...just Bananas.

My new 1.3 character’s name is going to be, The Dude.
The dude abides.

On a separate note, I am still losing equipment,I have lost 2 gold pickaxes, a blade of grass, a bees knees, 2 bee keepers, AN ENCHANTED SWORD :( and a molten pickaxe. It's so frustrating to have grinded in expert mode for these then poof... Into the void. Also everytime my wife try to join on split screen the game now crashes. We had just built a hell bridge as well to kill the WOF.

Apart from these issues I am totally loving 1.3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom