PC Out of Memory Exception

I've been playing daily since increasing the vm page file size as mentioned in my previous post, and the game seems much more stable. I've also turned on background and turned off multi-core. However I still have to keep video mode low or else I get the memory exception. Additionally I still have to use retro color mode or else the movement of the player is really sluggish. And I still experience occasional lags and some annoying screen flickering/flashing that distracts the play once in a while. My computer is a bit outdated and low-end, though supposed to be more than adequate for the minimum requirements. Back to digging and gathering...

The same problem has happened with me and I have tried with both the color, and the white lighting settings. So if anyone can help me, that would be great. :/

I would highly recommend you follow these steps if you pass recommended specs for Terraria!

1. Uninstall XNA from your System.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Download and Install XNA from Microsoft (not the one provided in Terraria Install).
  4. Restart your System again.
  5. Start Terraria.
  6. OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED: Delete the Config.json file from your Terraria Documents folder.
This is just to be sure your system is sending the information to Terraria.

Hey um are you still alive? I mean did you find solution?
If no its your happy day!
Do U use 4t byte or the 128 gb.

The way is increasing the Virtual memory of Windows.

Window 10:

• Go to the Start Menu and click on Settings.
  • Search performance.
  • Choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Advanced tab and under the Virtual memory section, click on Change.
  • At the bottom of the new window, uncheck "let system manage paging file"
  • then click on Custom size.
  • Set the top bar or Minimuim to 10000. Maximuim to 19999
  • Click OK to save the new settings.

Thank me later ;)

Hey um are you still alive? I mean did you find solution?
If no its your happy day!
Do U use 4t byte or the 128 gb.

The way is increasing the Virtual memory of Windows.

Window 10:

• Go to the Start Menu and click on Settings.
  • Search performance.
  • Choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Advanced tab and under the Virtual memory section, click on Change.
  • At the bottom of the new window, uncheck "let system manage paging file"
  • then click on Custom size.
  • Set the top bar or Minimuim to 10000. Maximuim to 19999
  • Click OK to save the new settings.

Thank me later ;)
That Does Not Work For Me ;-;

Mine crashes immediately after I open and load up the game. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Does any crash report generate, is it the same out of memory exception as these other folk? Could you list out your hardware specifications for me?

View attachment 62944 Game crashes after 5-10 minutes showing me this error. Pls fixerino

Hi, I have it too!

Wow, finally someone with the same error. Try turning your lighting mode from trippy/retro to white/color. I have mine set to color and the crashing stopped (I prefer trippy). It looks like while it's on trippy/retro, the memory consumption slowly ramps up until the game thinks it has run out. My guess is they're aware of the lighting issues. Using the 2 [crappy] lighting options is my workaround for the time being. Trippy and retro are much cooler. :\

I did have color, still crashes. Dunno 'bout White lighting.

Only time I can get this to work is if I set the resolution to 800x600 for my friend who's having the issue. Is that the only fix? Or is this completely hardware based?

I don't know.

Turning lighting mode to color worked out for me. No more crashes

Not mine.

Had/have the same issue. And solution above did help (turning color mode)
The wierd thing is - game was running perfectly for Normal playthrough + half of Hardmode, and then SUDDENLY this nasty crash occured. Dont know.

?

View attachment 64194
Having the same issue. Win 7 (64-bit) 4GB RAM. Plenty of hard drive space and no cpu issues.
I usually can get the game going with Video background turned OFF and Video quality set to LOW. Resolution 1280x962, lighting COLOR. Sometimes can play for hours without a crash.
But today for some reason it crashes immediately after it finishes loading. I've tried launching several times to no avail.

I am trying to load a LARGE world, that is not saved to the cloud. I can successfully load a small world that I just created.

When it crashes I get the popup error screen. My perfmon shows Terraria exe memory consumption rapidly grows and at crash state, is top memory user with over 1,100,000KB.
When I start playing I'm careful not to have any other apps running. Today I even tried killing off some processes and stopping unnecessary services in order to free up more memory.

I needed necessary stuff.

@k73057 Seems like, that Terraria eats very much Memory. Did you check, how much Memory other Programs are using when playing Terraria?

I allocated a lot of RAM though.

I was able to get past the out of memory crash by increasing my virtual memory page file size.
It was originally configured to be managed by windows and was allocated to around 4085 MB despite showing a recommended size of 6127MB.
Since I have a lot of available disk space I changed it to custom size with min of 6127 MB and max of 8170. I'm not an expert on this setting so please do your own research on its usage.

I also set resolution to 1280x1024 (my display's recommendation), color to Retro (yields smother movement for me), left quality LOW and background OFF, and Parallax zero. In addition I set Multicore lighting to 2 since I have a dual core cpu -- not that I noticed any difference.

Note that the game still crashes on occasion during play and sometimes on load, so I think there is still a memory leak that gets triggered under certain unknown conditions.

I haven't played extensively with this configuration change so not sure how successful it will be. If the crashes are still really frequent and disruptive I'll try to add another post.

Memory leak? [insert DK64 Expansion Pak joke here]

My "fix" was simply not to use retro/trippy lighting as they are responsible for the memory issue, pretty much single handedly. With white/color lighting I can max my resolution (1920 x 1080), max the texture quality, frame skipping off (vsync and triple buffering enabled in NVIDIA ctrl panel), no multicore lighting (not even sure what it does) and I'm crashless. The moment I turn on retro (my preferred lighting) or trippy (my second favorite), the memory issues return.

Also bear in mind at the time of the crash I'm nowhere near my ram's capacity, the game simply refuses to go beyond a certain point of memory usage. Speaking to Shockah/Poro/modders in general reveals that you can't uncap Terraria's throttled memory consumption. Increasing your page file is a supplemental allocation for memory usage, it would not fix this particular problem. I have ample RAM for Terraria to avail itself to, regardless of my page file size. Terraria is simply [strictly] limited in how much it can use.

Quote way above would like to have a work with this reply.

I've been playing with color, but I'm still getting the memory error (and some other random crashes, but I think those are related to my terrible computer). It doesn't seem to matter what settings I have on, it just seems to crash at random times. I can play for hours before it dies, or a couple minutes. It can crash when I'm loading into a world, or while I'm in it.

Same, but when I load a world it's game over. (crashes)

Multicore lighting on? Turning that off along with "Color" solved the problem.
http://pix.my/qW5PcdLs
As you can see, game is running for.. 1.5 days now? No crashes.

Multicore: off
Lighting: changed to white

Your specs are almost twice as good as mine and I still run a smooth 30 fps with color lighting and I have never experienced a crash from memory.
I cannot pinpoint a cause unfortunately.

Same.

The issue lies in XNA or .NET properly being installed, this is a major issue with windows systems as the true way to only resolve this is to wipe the harddrive and install both XNA and .NET to the latest verison before even considering to use any other application needed. I have tested this on VM machines, and on clean machines. XNA and .NET are tricky bastards, this isn't terraria's fault, its just the fact that it uses this crappy engine and sadly this crappy engine is very pansy about its procedure.

You can attempt to clean install both of these as is, or do a wipe. Fact is, something went wrong and Terraria is not getting what it needs from the system.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Okay follow the below tutorial Marcus made to generate error logs, I need to know what the crash message is. Is it an out of memory exception, or is it something else?

0eiPNMV.png

After completing the tutorial get the game to crash again, then go look at the error log and upload it here.

If it IS an out of memory exception I need to know how much RAM you have. To find this do the following:

• Press Windows+R on your keyboard.
  • type "msinfo32" without the quotes.
  • Screenshot the entire window that pops up and post the screenshot here.

I also need to know if you're using any mods or if this is vanilla.

I fixed by using start options

1.right click on Terraria in Steam library
2.click on Set startup options(I think that's 시작옵션설정in english....I am South Korean)
3. put in like this : -maxMem=(calculate like this: your memory size, subtract 1, multiply by 1024 subtract 512)
examples: If 8GB, -maxMem=6656
If 4GB, -maxMem=2560

It worked for me.

There isn't really a reason to use any number of 4096, Terraria is 32 bit and can only use up to 4096Mb of RAM or 4 GB. It doesn't really hurt to put in a number higher than 4096 but just know Terraria can not use more than 4GB.

I found the greatest solution to this problem, so actually normal Tmodloader created for 32bit systems and Terraria can only use 4GB of your ram. But you need to install 64bit version of TML and you would not see that error popping out again, because Terraria will use 4-16GB. It depends how many main storage you'l have.(Only for 64bit systems)

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me just now,i don't understand how i am out of memory when i have 32 gb of RAM

As I mentioned above, Terraria can only use 4 GB since it is a 32 bit application. It won't matter how much RAM you have, once it uses what it has been allotted by the system and requests more it's going to get an out of memory exception. Chances are you're playing with a lot of mods if you hit the limit. So you'll want to download the 64 bit version of TModLoader or reduce the amount of mods you are using.

As I mentioned above, Terraria can only use 4 GB since it is a 32 bit application. It won't matter how much RAM you have, once it uses what it has been allotted by the system and requests more it's going to get an out of memory exception. Chances are you're playing with a lot of mods if you hit the limit. So you'll want to download the 64 bit version of TModLoader or reduce the amount of mods you are using.
Thank you!

I caught a memory issue. I believe that I have this problem with Xna.Framework, I will try to update, it may work. In less than 2 minutes, the error took off ...
Sorry for the Russian letters:
Access to the liquidated object is not possible.
Name object:...
1615408148910.png

hmm.. I can't manually disable mods one by one, one reason: i'm lazy, and another: I already have a world with my friend (we've beaten supreme calamitas twice), and obviously I can't really disable mods one by one otherwise my world will mess up, if it's got to do with world generation or items.

The error will pop up whilst loading worlds, making worlds, joining worlds, 1-2 hours of gameplay, or a couple minutes of gameplay. (but never in the menu).
Probably worth noting, my friend never gets this error (or from what I know of).

I tried installing 64 bit tModLoader but for some reason it never worked and I'm not here to find out..
(I don't think it would matter anyways since it shows all my mods add up to just 1.9GB of memory out of the 4 GB of memory it has allocated. I have around 15 mods, some big such as calamity or thorium, some small like boss health bars and boss death logs).

EDIT: Problem fixed! (I think), Managed to get 64 bit tModLoader working, so It might not crash anymore but I'm going to play for a bit to see.
EDIT 2: Lasted noticeably longer, but still crashed after an hour, which I guess is an improvement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom