Status Update on Additional PS4 Hotfixes & Xbox One Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the other thread from my phone when I got off school I saw Pipeworks link to this thread. I was both skeptical and excited for the release of the update for Xbox one and what do I see? Another letdown, I not going to be surprised if it never reaches Xbox. I’m giving Pipeworks a ten out of ten for dodging the Xbox release for this long, like “a few days behind PS4” must mean a whole month now or something.
This reminds me of when the changed the definition of “soon”

I’m going to estimate the 1.3 update for Xbox one will be here January 10 wish me luck and everybody else

It might do. To be optimistic, I think it will do.

because it’s still useful to know the progress at least. even if it’s bad news, it’s still news. just don’t have any expectations

I guess you're right. I constantly check the forums for 1.3 news, and when I saw 'release', I thought it meant the actual date :/. I've stopped hoping now, because what's the point? Even Pipeworks didn't post an update video on YT, which is worrying

It's not that bad dude. A crash here and there, sure, but it runs and is 99.99% playable. You have absolutely no idea what happened behind the scenes and yet you act like you have all the answers. Why? Have you played the PS4 version? Because I have logged almost 40 hours into it and it's not that bad. Plus the initial delay was for a suspension bug that only affected Xbox, so delaying it for more bug fixes seems like a logical next step. It's been like 3 weeks. Folks just need to chill.

thanks for the advice bud, I appreciate you trying to keep it reasonable and the posts r.e this topic to remain level headed (plenty are not as reasonable as you are) but i never said I knew what happened. I SPECIFICALLY said that I DIDNT know, and that this would just be my GUESS.

And yes I've played plenty of the PS4 version, no, I'm not mad about the Xbox delay like sooo many are (lord give me strength reading through *those* comments... Loki etc are doing well managing to refrain from engaging with them for the most part) And I'm fully aware of the reason for the delay in Xbox cert.

Fundimentally though, The PS4 version is a hot mess. It's performance is attrocious. Thankfully it's not the kind of game digital foundry would be interested in taking a look at because the input delay, the frame rate problems and what feels like frame pacing issues are fundimental issues that make it a terrible update performance wise. Why? Because the game can run well on a potato for a pc. It can run on all kinds of mobile phones. mobile phones! It can run well on a PS3 with only 256mb of ram!! It can run well on a ps vita and a 3ds! It's mind BOGGLING how PS4 and xbox1 are running this badly.

Now that's just performance, let alone the number of SUBSTANTIAL and even completely game breaking bugs that are so common, that it's baffling that it could be missed. That's why I'm saying there is no way they missed it. They knew. They just had their hand tied for whatever reason. No developer would want to put this out there.

That's not even taking into consideration the fundimental UI and UX problems, the baffling decisions and choices that are so rudimentary i can't believe it could have been checked over and signed off by proper UI design guys. They MUST have been rushing and not had a chance to look over large swathes of this update/rewrite. I said it before, and I don't use this word lightly - some of the UI design elements are properly attrocious.

Now I'm not wanting to having a go at them about that.
UI and UX can be tweaked and fixed fairly easily.
Bugs can be squashed.

I'm not a fan of how the unified terraria idea is playing out in reality, but it is what it is, there's no point in crying over spilt milk. And they have acknowledged that they have received a lot of good feedback r.e UI etc that they will look to implement. That's all good.

What I'm saying is, when I can count 20+ bugs, problems and mistakes within half an hour of turning it on (ignoring having to go into game data and delete system files for me and 3 freinds because every. single. person, had the conversion crash and hard lock unable to boot the game) then there was clearly a problem in development. When I play for 1, 2 3+ hours and didn't stop finding problems errors bugs and bad design decisions without looking for them, (And I'm no expert) then something went WRONG.

Sorry about the huge post, I kind of got carried away with myself. I don't want this to be a bash pipeworks post, but it probably comes across as that to some. I'm just trying to be objective about it.

Last edited:
"Stable solid place"? What game are you playing? The current version is anything but stable or solid. I can't even play with other people cause the game says my world is full and tells me theirs is too. People lose hundreds of hours of progress everyday to the world replacement glitch. Yeah, totally stable.

The original console version bud. As in, pre 1.3 rewrite. On PS4 it's anything but stable right now. That's my point. It WAS stable, and now it's a bit of a garbage truck on fire. If you ARE talking about the pre 1.3 on Xbox or something ....hohoho boy, just you wait. You will PINE for the old 'unstable' pre 1.3 version if you think that's bad. On PS4 it was very solid and stable pre 1.3. none of I or my freinds never ever had a single crash. Or major bug or anything. Neither did any friends over hundreds maybe thousand of hours between us. Anecdotal evidence sure, but it was considered by most to be solid and stable.

Last edited:
The original console version bud. As in, pre 1.3 rewrite. On PS4 it's anything but stable right now. That's my point. It WAS stable, and now it's a bit of a garbage truck on fire. If you ARE talking about the pre 1.3 on Xbox or something ....hohoho boy, just you wait. You will PINE for the old 'unstable' pre 1.3 version if you think that's bad. On PS4 it was very solid and stable pre 1.3. none of I or my freinds never ever had a single crash. Or major bug or anything. Neither did any friends over hundreds maybe thousand of hours between us. Anecdotal evidence sure, but it was considered by most to be solid and stable.

I was also talking about the pre-1.3 rewrite guy. Xbox obviously doesn't have as stable a version currently as
PS4 did. I don't even play it hardly anymore because I'm not going to risk 2500 hours of work on my world to be overwritten with someone else's world.

Last edited:
Unbelievable. How do you have the same bug with xbox again, and it hasnt even been certified yet? You have to re-submit it?! And you dont even have a date for when its going to be submitted? :red: this, im officially concerned about anything i see you're guys team attached to. What a joke. You seriously screwed xbox players, and not stop saying this :red: was out of you're control, anything to not take the blame. You guys submitted us late, you submitted us days before microsoft went on holiday, and then you chose to hold it for re-submission after seeing the issues with ps4 that not everyone is having. I have zero faith in anything you guys have to say from now on. ZERO

The Fanboys will defend them no matter what they do wrong but hey, theyre Fanboys lol.

Other people feel the same way. Youre not alone at all in thinking that.

These guys are a hazard and dangerous for games if this is how they function. Shame on them for claiming they tested the game and shame on the Terraria team for hiring these noobs.

This game is trashed now.

You guys need to let Pipeworks go and revert these 'quality of life' changes and give us back the great game we paid for. Not this wannabe PC garbage, riddled with bugs.

It’s no where in sight, who knows what other bugs Pipeworks might have to fix from the PS4 to the Xbox one.
Isnt that what parental filters are for?You obviously dont care about the community, atleast not the xbox part of it. You seriously want to say this is what we want? We wanted a fair release. You were the one talking about "parity" how is this even remotely close to being equal? You screwed xbox. Of course i dont want my game falling apart, but if they were released at the same time like it should've been. We would all have the same problems, and no where near as frustrated because all we'd have to do is wait on this new patch.
I seriously think you should either stop playing terraria
The Fanboys will defend them no matter what they do wrong but hey, theyre Fanboys lol.

Other people feel the same way. Youre not alone at all in thinking that.

These guys are a hazard and dangerous for games if this is how they function. Shame on them for claiming they tested the game and shame on the Terraria team for hiring these noobs.

This game is trashed now.

You guys need to let Pipeworks go and revert these 'quality of life' changes and give us back the great game we paid for. Not this wannabe PC garbage, riddled with bugs.

Hey look guys, PS4 are gifted again, its happened with BO3 with them getting map packs way before us and now that rule is applying to terraria, i mean its not pipeworks fault but why not send them in at the same time? terraria on xbox is basically as dead as Overwatch now

Fundimentally though, The PS4 version is a hot mess. It's performance is attrocious. Thankfully it's not the kind of game digital foundry would be interested in taking a look at because the input delay, the frame rate problems and what feels like frame pacing issues are fundimental issues that make it a terrible update performance wise. Why? Because the game can run well on a potato for a pc. It can run on all kinds of mobile phones. mobile phones! It can run well on a PS3 with only 256mb of ram!! It can run well on a ps vita and a 3ds! It's mind BOGGLING how PS4 and xbox1 are running this badly.

That is not entirely accurately. Terraria 1.3.5.3 does not run well on 'potato PCs' (especially ones with low RAM), although what is or is not a potato is rather relative, it does not run well on many phones (again, low RAM ones), it did not run well on the PS Vita, the 3DS version is a substantially watered down version and I believe PS3 and Xbox 360 had their fair share of issues as well. Disregarding that, 1.3 is substantially larger than 1.2, so the notion that it should run fine 'because 1.2 did' isn't really a sound argument.
Now that's just performance, let alone the number of SUBSTANTIAL and even completely game breaking bugs that are so common, that it's baffling that it could be missed. That's why I'm saying there is no way they missed it. They knew. They just had their hand tied for whatever reason. No developer would want to put this out there.

That's not even taking into consideration the fundimental UI and UX problems, the baffling decisions and choices that are so rudimentary i can't believe it could have been checked over and signed off by proper UI design guys. They MUST have been rushing and not had a chance to look over large swathes of this update/rewrite. I said it before, and I don't use this word lightly - some of the UI design elements are properly attrocious.

Now I'm not wanting to having a go at them about that.
UI and UX can be tweaked and fixed fairly easily.
Bugs can be squashed.

I'm not a fan of how the unified terraria idea is playing out in reality, but it is what it is, there's no point in crying over spilt milk. And they have acknowledged that they have received a lot of good feedback r.e UI etc that they will look to implement. That's all good.

What I'm saying is, when I can count 20+ bugs, problems and mistakes within half an hour of turning it on (ignoring having to go into game data and delete system files for me and 3 freinds because every. single. person, had the conversion crash and hard lock unable to boot the game) then there was clearly a problem in development. When I play for 1, 2 3+ hours and didn't stop finding problems errors bugs and bad design decisions without looking for them, (And I'm no expert) then something went WRONG.

Sorry about the huge post, I kind of got carried away with myself. I don't want this to be a bash pipeworks post, but it probably comes across as that to some. I'm just trying to be objective about it.

'Common' is a very tricky term to use here. If a bug appears for one in a few hundred worlds or one in a few hundred players doing a normal playthrough (so not individual sections like boss fights), there's a very decent chance the QA team didn't encounter it, but it will occur for thousands of players. That is a lot, yes, but running an entire marathon over and over again to see if you trip up is not as efficient as selectively running the section(s) where you are expecting to trip up. Undoubtedly the Pipeworks team will have tested full, detailed playthroughs (and a playthrough of Terraria has so many variables that you could reliably test until the end of time and still have something unique in every single run), but definitely not thousands. At some point you have to make the call on when you've run enough laps, and if running any more is actually an efficient use of your time.

1.3 Terraria is a large game, and will have had (and still has) tons of bugs. Undoubtedly, Pipeworks will have spotted, and decided not to fix, many low-priority issues, as they were so minor they weren't worth pushing back the release for. But if there were any actually game breaking bugs left in the release version then you can be sure QA simply didn't encounter them.

Thanks pipework and ok I understand this may be very annoying of me cause we just got an update but what would be an estimate of time between updates and I can understand if you can't give me an answer.

I want to clear some things up because there's a lot of people who just don't have the full picture or are spreading disinformation around.
  1. We never lied about a release date. Those were the best estimates at the time and when they changed we communicated as such. If anything we've over-communicated.
  2. To claim the game is completely broken is not accurate. What we are dealing with is some instances of legacy worlds causing problems for people, hence why some people are encountering some pretty significant issues and others are not. Every single issue that has been reported by the community has been logged into our bug system.
  3. Xbox One was held up originally because of a last minute change that needed to be completed. Unfortunately when you submit that close to a major holiday delays are certainly possible. When we noticed the reports coming in for PS4 we immediately went to work to make sure that as soon as the Xbox version releases it would get a patch with every bug fix PS4 received, bringing both consoles to parity.
  4. There's absolutely zero favoritism for either platform. You can look at our previous game releases as evidence of that. In this particular situation this is just how it ended up being.
  5. We have a pretty large internal and external QA team. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that there was no way we could predict these issues would appear in the wild. When you hand the keys to the community it's a total game-changer especially with the size of one such as Terraria. We even took extra steps by asking the community for their save data months prior to shipping the game.
  6. We don't control design aspects of the game.
I know there's some less than pleased people posting in this thread, but please re-direct that energy into helping us help you.

If you come across a bug report it here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

If you are encountering a lot of crashes or instability this is not normal. We're asking people to send us a copy of all of their Terraria save data, that's the best way for us to investigate and resolve these issues for you. Instructions here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/send-us-a-copy-of-your-save-data.64463/

If you guys have questions let me know and I'll try to answer them. Thanks!

Hey look guys, PS4 are gifted again, its happened with BO3 with them getting map packs way before us and now that rule is applying to terraria, i mean its not pipeworks fault but why not send them in at the same time? terraria on xbox is basically as dead as Overwatch now
Lol dude this is definitely not the same scenario.

I want to clear some things up because there's a lot of people who just don't have the full picture or are spreading disinformation around.
  1. We never lied about a release date. Those were the best estimates at the time and when they changed we communicated as such. If anything we've over-communicated.
  2. To claim the game is completely broken is not accurate. What we are dealing with is some instances of legacy worlds causing problems for people, hence why some people are encountering some pretty significant issues and others are not. Every single issue that has been reported by the community has been logged into our bug system.
  3. Xbox One was held up originally because of a last minute change that needed to be completed. Unfortunately when you submit that close to a major holiday delays are certainly possible. When we noticed the reports coming in for PS4 we immediately went to work to make sure that as soon as the Xbox version releases it would get a patch with every bug fix PS4 received, bringing both consoles to parity.
  4. There's absolutely zero favoritism for either platform. You can look at our previous game releases as evidence of that. In this particular situation this is just how it ended up being.
  5. We have a pretty large internal and external QA team. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that there was no way we could predict these issues would appear in the wild. When you hand the keys to the community it's a total game-changer especially with the size of one such as Terraria. We even took extra steps by asking the community for their save data months prior to shipping the game.
I know there's some less than pleased people posting in this thread, but please re-direct that energy into helping us help you.

If you come across a bug report it here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

If you are encountering a lot of crashes or instability this is not normal. We're asking people to send us a copy of all of their Terraria save data, that's the best way for us to investigate and resolve these issues for you. Instructions here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/send-us-a-copy-of-your-save-data.64463/

Hey ClearConscious! Just wanted to thank you and Pipeworks for working hard on hotfixes for Terraria. My husband and I appreciate all the hard work!

I just had a quick question. Will multiplayer stability (constant frame rate lag/freezes) be addressed in the upcoming hotfixes? Or is it an ongoing issue that is still being investigated?

I understand you guys can't give an accurate date on when the update will be resubmitted, but can you give us a guestimate of some kind? It might ease a few people down in the process as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom