Status Update on Additional PS4 Hotfixes & Xbox One Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope the UI experience will be better. Seen some videos on 1.3 for PS4, while I appreciate how Pipeworks managed to add it, it just doesn't seem fluent and smooth for a controller. I mean, I never tried the update so I wouldn't know. But it'd be great if there was an option to switch to either the old console UI or the new one in a future update. Just my thoughts

Yknow unless you want to start a full on :red:ing debate on whether or not it's fair for the PS4 community to get the 1.3 release sooner and cause a huge controversy, I suggest that you take a :red:ing chill pill and think about what the hell you're smoking. You really think it's fair for everyone to get an update that we long anticipated for and find out that it has so many bugs that it can't perform to longrun expectations and possibly bring out disappointment in the console community? Have some common sense and a little :red:ing respect. It brings more to be patient rather than to be an arrogant :red2:hole who can't seem to control himself over the possible few days or weeks of waiting. They work harder than your lazy :red2: typing your comments showing no respect to the people who are only trying to make your hopes come to life. So how about you just shut the :red: up and have a little optimism you :red: pessimistic :redmunch:.

Pipeworks. Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you. I cannot show you how much I appreciate what you've done and all the updates and honesty you've given to us about what is going on. Our community truly appreciates what you do and wishes you luck in the succession of being able to submit the new update. Can't wait to kick the moon lord's butt. Thank you so much.:D:D:D
They've never done anything on Console other then 1.3 That makes what they've done even more impressive. It has taken quite a while though and that is easily understandable to get angry about. I would've personally rather had it out for both consoles at the same time even with bugs. At least we would know they could come out at the same time. 2 years is to long. They dont seem to have a large enough team working on the update.

It was in response to @Majin_Romulus claiming the update wasn't rewritten, but simply a lazy copy paste of the PC code. That simply isn't possible. If you weren't defending his position then my apologies.
It actually is possible. PS4 and Xbox One are x86 architecture, literally just PC's now. You can take anything from PC and it will run fine. Adjustments need to be made of course. It wouldn't be possible on 360 and Ps3 because they were Power PC and Cell respectively. Developers had complained for years how hard it was to code things on the systems, mostly for ps3, so Sony and Microsoft made it as easy as possible.

So you are saying that if we had REUSED the old Console UI, that would be rewriting the game on Console, but coding the PC UI onto Console (which has never existed before), is not rewriting the game?

Seems just a bit off to me, TBH. Opinions on which is the better UI aside, I'm just unclear on how you've come to the conclusion that changing something is not rewriting the game, but recycling old Console content IS rewriting the game.
Uh not sure if you understood properly lol. What I meant is that there was literally no reason to not redo the old console UI if they game had been redone from the ground up, it would have been common sense to use the UI designed specifically for controllers, it makes no sense to ditch it. But corners were cut and an old PC update was slapped on console. If pipeworks would let us use keyboard and mouse it wouldn't be as bad but they haven't decided whether they want to or not. There's also a lot of weapons that don't work well with the rubber band-like smart cursor, like the rainbow rod.

I think that I would be best that we don’t estimate a date because then we will expect it to come out on that day and when we find out it doesn’t come out on that day we are all gonna be angry at the makers and that’s the last thing they need, if you want the game to come out quicker then don’t estimate a date just let them do there thing so we won’t be ranting on at them.

first of course I got Terraria steam, then on gog.com (to install it without steam on a travel notebook), for the living room first on the consoles 360/PS3. later on I got the amazon android version for tablet and smartphone (to bridge waiting room times), later on also the google play store version (when amazon version switched cloud integration) - next ps4 console version as the new gen consoles hit the market. Short after I got a 2ds to remember childhood memorys with NewSuperMario&Luigi and of course another version of Terraria - later on Xbox one joined the household - Terraria found it's way to be there as well, first via gamepass - latest - i got an iPod touch (6gen with display) and next to the Binding of Isaac Icon the Terraria one can be found.
Lately I bought another 4 pack on of it on sale via our second family steam account to give it away to cousins and nephews. I guess no other single game received that much support.

So many versions - so many updates - besides the PS4 1.3 was the most troubled one in my opinion - I also had the most fun with it perhaps because of all the T-experience I collected over the years playing all that other versions with their little differences :) In the end I'm sure it will all turn out in a good way - Terraria is a loved Child - because it can be expanded further and further easily it received a lot of updates and from the point now I cannot see that it will stop in near future.

I apologize if someone already asked this but I just can't read anymore complaints to sift out game-relevant content.

@Loki, are the devs willing to consider bringing back the "save" and "exit without saving" options? Only being able to "save and exit" makes long building sessions incredibly risky. I understand there is an autosave option, but I'm sure I'm not the only builder out there who likes to try stuff without being locked into it. Restarting is faster than fixing some things. This was a great feature and I've lost an incredible amount of progress because an errant game freeze forces me to close the application and all the work I've done is lost. Will they please consider this when they start looking into tweaking the UI?

I think that I would be best that we don’t estimate a date because then we will expect it to come out on that day and when we find out it doesn’t come out on that day we are all gonna be angry at the makers and that’s the last thing they need, if you want the game to come out quicker then don’t estimate a date just let them do there thing so we won’t be ranting on at them.

I'm hoping it comes out sometime within the 1st and 2nd quarts of 2018. If pipeworks cannot do that with being this close to releasing it they A. Have run out of money. B. All were adultnapped. C. Were fired(highly unlikely). D. No longer care about Terraria(hopefully impossible.) E. The entire game blows up deleting everything that has to do with the game.

Let's tone down the flaming. I totally understand the frustration from Xbox players, but frankly releasing it as is without any of the hotfixes would just be a repeat of what we've already seen on the PS4 side. We don't want that, and I'm sure other people in the community don't want that if we can avoid it.
I have faith in you guys.

It actually is possible. PS4 and Xbox One are x86 architecture, literally just PC's now. You can take anything from PC and it will run fine. Adjustments need to be made of course. It wouldn't be possible on 360 and Ps3 because they were Power PC and Cell respectively. Developers had complained for years how hard it was to code things on the systems, mostly for ps3, so Sony and Microsoft made it as easy as possible.
No you can't just take anything from PC and run it on a console just because it's x86. The languages are completely different. You can't get a German speaker talking to a Spanish speaker just because both languages are being spoken by a human.

The architecture being similar makes it easier for programmers to understand, but the consoles don't run the same OS layer. PC Terraria is written in XNA, a heavily modified form of C#. This language is not supported by the consoles. They literally can not understand it, not even with some minor tweaks. So porting things requires either rewriting everything for the different OS, or using a wrapper such as Unity.

Your knowledge of computer programming has some very big holes in it.

Uh not sure if you understood properly lol. What I meant is that there was literally no reason to not redo the old console UI if they game had been redone from the ground up, it would have been common sense to use the UI designed specifically for controllers, it makes no sense to ditch it. But corners were cut and an old PC update was slapped on console. If pipeworks would let us use keyboard and mouse it wouldn't be as bad but they haven't decided whether they want to or not. There's also a lot of weapons that don't work well with the rubber band-like smart cursor, like the rainbow rod.
The reason they "redid" the console UI has more to do with the fact they threw the old console code away and started with the PC code for 1.3. That version has never had the console UI, so Pipeworks would have had to make it over from scratch, just like all the console exclusive monsters and items. They didn't remove that stuff from console 1.3, it never existed on console 1.3 to begin with.

ReLogic absolutely needs our feedback about what does and does not work in console. They are the ones that decided this UI and these controls will work for consoles. I agree the PC UI is not good for a controller. What we don't need is people confusing the issue and making ReLogic think we are demanding silly things or arbitrarily calling them lazy. It won't make them willing to listen to anything we have to say. Such attitudes will simply make them write us off as irrationally angry and unwilling to change.

On the microsoft store it shows terraria with a new title and a 1.3 description with 1.3 screen shots. Is this a mistake or what?
Probably somebody at Microsoft jumped the gun about updating the store thinking the update had released already.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom