Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.3 for consoles has been out for how long now? Are we going to get at least an announcement when they finally get to working on T:OW?
I think it is safe to say they have been working on T:OW since the announcement last April.
They will not have acquired the license and then put it on a shelf until they completed 1.3.
They will have allocated a team for T:OW, to work on that project at the same time as the 1.3 team continued development.

But OW was an ongoing project right ?
I mean when they were posting video and pictures, what happened then ? Because it went from,

"hey here's new stuff XXL world" "Wow Super ocean biome"

from

" Yeah we got a problem , stay tuned for news" ... (One year later) still no news :< .

I'd say it's for the best to forget that Otherworld is even a project, then we won't be expecting news about it, and when we do we can all be excited about a 'new' game coming out.

I mean when they were posting video and pictures, what happened then ? Because it went from,

from

" Yeah we got a problem , stay tuned for news" ... (One year later) still no news :< .

It was, but even after a year of trying to rework the game (the problem you mentioned) with the old development team it still didn't fit Re-Logic's vision of what it should be.

Because of that, they switched development teams and decided to restart development, as mentioned in this news post.

from

Yup, they said to expect long periods of dark with no updates 8(

They didn't want to do any more updates because I guess people got super upset and they'd rather just have a media blackout.

I'd say it's for the best to forget that Otherworld is even a project, then we won't be expecting news about it, and when we do we can all be excited about a 'new' game coming out.

They have the right idea. Try and wipe it from our brains.

Somehow I've only just found out about this! So excited, I do admire game devs that take their time to build a good game :)
Obviously, as you are a mole, you were underground when the original announcement was made.
Just don't get too excited.
People have been on the verge of bursting into flames because of the lack of news and/or updates regarding this project.
It will arrive when it arrives.
If you can make your peace with that, then you'll be fine.
Just sit back, relax and watch the intermittent outbursts from those less patient and/or understanding. ;)

This is such a stupid defense for inadequate PR.
Well first of all, please remain polite.

it's the kind of thing they should just -want- to do out of respect for their userbase.
They did say not to wait for more because since they had a problem they had to more or less start over. Respectfully. You're just twisting the definition of respect for it to cover "giving you what you want".

It's really, really not hard to pop in once in awhile, especially after an extended period of silence, to let us know what's going on. The fact that it's so quick and painless for them to do is why not doing so conveys that they don't care enough about their userbase to even so much as write a couple sentences for an update, even if that update is nothing more than "hey guys, development is still proceeding, we'll give you more info when we're able". It's not unreasonable to expect that. There is no excuse whatsoever for radio silence. It's highly unprofessional.
We know what's going on, but most people sending this kind of rant would be sending the exact same message after the fiftieth-or-so "hey guys, we're looking at code and thinking of ideas, nothing to show" only with "provide us with content" instead of "let us know what's going on". The only way to provide info that wouldn't be received with complaining would be to show new content, but creating it, then selecting it, and showing it in a way that is well-received takes a lot more time. You know perfectly well an admin just popping up with "hi, I'm here" would not accomplish anything.

I don't even understand the ideology behind this kind of reasoning.
There, you said it. That sums it up quite nice.

You're implicitly stating that it's unreasonable to expect anything more than the bare minimum of effort from them.
the bare minimum? How could what they do be described as "the bare minimum"? They signed with other people and went on with the work from scratch so the game would be good, instead of

How much money do you think Terraria has made for ReLogic?
How is that relevant?

All we're really asking for (those of us who are reasonable people, anyway) is anything more than radio silence. Anything. That is not much to ask of them.

Must be terrible to have no critical thinking skills whatsoever.
I don't know where you are from, but in places where society exists, it is usually considered antithetical to say you are reasonable while explicitly trying to talk down the cognitive abilities of your interlocutor. A last point: no, you did not ask for anything. You talked down to people saying it's okay not to have the things you want, and you complained about the lack of said things.
And yes, that is much to ask of them because everybody knows you would not stop at "hey, nothing to report but we're here" but demand more instead.

Jeez, And Here I Sit Thinking Console Was The Only Place With Toxicity.
They have the right idea. Try and wipe it from our brains.
I Thought Of The Memory Stick Thing From Men In Black Reading This `:p
I'm Holding Out Hope That This Releases Atleast Before 2020, But Then Again, I Always Set Expectations Way Further Then They Really Need To Be.
Also,
1.3 for consoles has been out for how long now? Are we going to get at least an announcement when they finally get to working on T:OW?
From When This Was Posted, 2 And 1/3 Of A Month.
They're Trying To Fix A More Imminent Problem, Before Saying "Hey Uh, We Know Consoles Are :red:ed And All, But Uh, *Middle Finger* We're Gonna Go Work On T:OW K Bye Lol, *Runs Away*"
When Console Is Stable, And Switch Has 1.3 (And Possibly Mobile Too(Just To Clarify, When Mobile Has 1.3))
Then The Focus Will Be Otherworld.

They're Trying To Fix A More Imminent Problem, Before Saying "Hey Uh, We Know Consoles Are :red:ed And All, But Uh, *Middle Finger* We're Gonna Go Work On T:OW K Bye Lol, *Runs Away*"
When Console Is Stable, And Switch Has 1.3 (And Possibly Mobile Too(Just To Clarify, When Mobile Has 1.3))
Then The Focus Will Be Otherworld.
Actually, (you can picture me as some lisping nerd as I say that, I do too) the team working on Otherworld is completely separate from the console ports team. Both projects are being worked on in parallel at the same time.

To everyone else, the radio silence has more to do with ReLogic throwing away pretty much everything that Engine Software was working on and started all over. There's nothing to tease with, no concept work to show because everything was scrapped. It's probably going to be a very long while before there's anything to show off again. It takes a lot longer than a few months to go from the concept phase to having actual assets to show off.

Last edited:
Actually, (you can picture me as some lisping nerd as I say that, I do too) the team working on Otherworld is completely separate from the console ports team. Both projects are being worked on in parallel at the same time.

To everyone else, the radio silence has more to do with ReLogic throwing away pretty much everything that Engine Software was working on and started all over. There's nothing to tease with, no concept work to show because everything was scrapped. It's probably going to be a very long while before there's anything to show off again. It takes a lot longer than a few months to go from the concept phase to having actual assets to show off.
Oh, I Wasn't Aware Of That Thank You.

It's always good to at the least have information on what's actually happening.
HOW DARE YOU ? It's has been established here, that asking for any information considering an ongoing project is highly toxic, and very very unsensitive. This kind of demand is borderline slavery! Don't you ever ask for news about a game you care about again, you vile arrogant entitled customer!

This is a T:OW safe space.

J/k Kappa.

Before any of you come in here to verbally tear Pipeworks apart because it's been a year since we've had any news on Terraria Otherworld, please reconsider. We know it's been a year and they know it's been a year. The last thing we need is a hostile barrage of offensive assertions. It's fine to be passionate about the project, but try to show a little restraint. You don't wanna say something that goes too far.

As for what we do know since the initial post last year, getting 1.3 onto the Nintendo Switch and mobile is Pipeworks' topmost priority at this point in time. Once that's out of the way, we'll hear a lot more about Otherworld. As they've come to say, "it's unlikely we'll get them to shut up about it once they start talking."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom