Good idea?

• Yes!

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • No!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

sodapone🌳

Wall of Flesh
At first I thought of this idea as a simple conversion of Minecraft's Book and Quill. But then I thought about taking it a step further.

Writing Set
"Used to write in Empty Books"
Tool/Furniture
Can be placed on tables. Required to write in Empty Books.
Obtaining
Sold by Merchant after Skeletron has been defeated (1 gold)

Empty Book
"Can be written in
Requires a Writing Set to write in"

Tool/Furniture
Can be placed on tables and platforms. Using it while a Writing Set is in the player's inventory will allow the player to write in them. The character limit for each page is identical to that of signs, and up to 999 pages are allowed in total. The menu features two buttons: Publish, and Save. Publish finalizes the book's creation, allowing you to set a name for it. Save will simply close the menu while keeping what was written.
Obtaining

Sold by Merchant (25 silver)

Written Book
"By: [Publisher Name]"
Tool/Furniture
Can be placed on tables and platforms. Mousing over it while placed will display its name. Contains custom text and cannot be edited.

Special Properties
  • Placing a Writing Set and Empty Book on the same table in an NPC's house will create a chance that the book will become published, with the NPC's name as the author. In this case, the book will contain preset dialogue, specific to the NPC (e.g. The Nurse may write a log of all your visits, describing the condition you were in; the Pirate may write a Captain's Log.) If the player takes it, the NPC's dialogue will change.
Guide: I see you decided to pick up my handbook. It's full of my tips!
Nurse: Reading a log of all your, er...incidents is interesting, hm? I find it amusing myself.
Goblin Tinkerer: What exactly makes you think a bunch of equations and experiment notes would be interesting?
Steampunker: Oy! Don't take people's books like that! That book of mine was full of important diagrams!
  • Placing a Written Book with you as the author in an NPC's house will activate special dialogue.
Guide: Nice book you wrote. I really enjoyed it!
Nurse: I thought that my handwriting was bad, what with me being in the medical industry. But your handwriting? It's unintelligible! It's so funny; please write more!
Merchant: Great novel! Can I publish it? You'll get 50% of the profits! 40% is good, right? So, 30-80, 10%! Deal?

So...thoughts?

I do think you should be able to write in books. It opens up many doors for story telling and role-playing.

Ive been wanting this for so long >_> it would be nice to have an in game diary
I also think people would trade books online which would also be pretty cool
Why not add a feature where you could add pictures in the book but only screenshots (using that screen capture feature spoiled for 1.3)

Yeah, I could do this. I would have to give everyone a huge number of books and see what they write for the lols. I would also troll friends with books and character names. The possibilities are vast.

Support.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but was this idea implemented? Was such a mod created? Honestly this seems like a very good concept and this should definiately be created.

If this wasn't made, I could give it a try. The Original Post is quite detailed and describes the concept well, it seems well thought-out. I would present a simple plan as follows:
1. First create a book object and simply add Sign's functionality to it.
2. Next modify the Sign's reading functionality by adding pagination and adding arrows (back, forth) to flip pages.
3. Once the above is completed, the entire concept as per the Original Post to be implemented (writting sets, tools, furniture, NPCs comments).

Please respond if such a mod exists.

Last edited:
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but was this idea implemented? Was such a mod created? Honestly this seems like a very good concept and this should definiately be created.

If this wasn't made, I could give it a try. The Original Post is quite detailed and describes the concept well, it seems well thought-out. I would present a simple plan as follows:
1. First create a book object and simply add Sign's functionality to it.
2. Next modify the Sign's reading functionality by adding pagination and adding arrows (back, forth) to flip pages.
3. Once the above is completed, the entire concept as per the Original Post to be implemented (writting sets, tools, furniture, NPCs comments).

Please respond if such a mod exists.
i have been looking around for this mod for a while and it does not seem like its a thing yet.

Back
Top Bottom