Texture Pack Better Ambiance Texture Pack (now for 1.4, but NOT on the workshop... yet)

I've followed your instructions and the results are still the same.

Are there any other possible reasons as to why this is happening?
[doublepost=1501836119,1501836051][/doublepost]Image:
I'm glad you're taking screenshots. It would be working if you hadn't extracted the files from the zip. Just keep the zip file intact as-is, and place it into the TexturePacks folder. The folder with the images in it (called 'Images') will now be in this directory within the .zip file looking like this:

Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\TexturePacks\Texture Pack.zip\Images

As you can see, the ".zip" is still intact there. The only thing you want in your ModLoader\TexturePacks folder is the .zip file from my download, with nothing moved.

So to recap, you just want to download my .zip file, place it into an empty ModLoader\TexturePacks folder, and it'll work perfectly. Keep it simple. :)

I'm glad you're taking screenshots. It would be working if you hadn't extracted the files from the zip. Just keep the zip file intact as-is, and place it into the TexturePacks folder. The folder with the images in it (called 'Images') will now be in this directory within the .zip file looking like this:

Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\TexturePacks\Texture Pack.zip\Images

As you can see, the ".zip" is still intact there. The only thing you want in your ModLoader\TexturePacks folder is the .zip file from my download, with nothing moved.

So to recap, you just want to download my .zip file, place it into an empty ModLoader\TexturePacks folder, and it'll work perfectly. Keep it simple. :)

And to think all I had to do was keep the folder normal . . .

Texture Pack's great by the way - the background has a little more "life" in it now, something which I always thought it needed (in my opinion, the vanilla version always felt kinda lifeless and "flat". Figuratively, not just literally.).

Ever plan on touching up some of the other biomes? I've always wanted the corruption and crimson biomes to be a little more "gritty" if you know what I mean.

And to think all I had to do was keep the folder normal . . .

Texture Pack's great by the way - the background has a little more "life" in it now, something which I always thought it needed (in my opinion, the vanilla version always felt kinda lifeless and "flat". Figuratively, not just literally.).

Ever plan on touching up some of the other biomes? I've always wanted the corruption and crimson biomes to be a little more "gritty" if you know what I mean.
Thanks. What you describe was my intent and exactly what I like to hear -- glad you're enjoying it! :)

And yes, I'm working on another biome right now. As for corruption and crimson, could you be a little more specific as to what you're looking for? Currently I'm not working on changing those two, but if you give me a bit more to go on description-wise I'd be happy to improve those areas as well.

This is mainly me just nitpicking, but here goes:

I think the Corruption/Crimson's backgrounds could be a bit darker, basically the opposite of what you're doing to all the other biomes. I think the Crimson and Corruption biomes are purposely made to look threatening and "alien", and II think some tweaks to the background would really help convey this. The Corruption is themed around disease and decay, so a slightly darker and purple-er colour scheme would be better for the background. On the other hand, the Crimson is heavily focused on gore, so the background colours would be richer and more intense (I'm no artist though, so don't take my word on this).

Both biomes could also definitely use different colours for their skies since the current shade of blue really doesn't fit either of them very well. The Crimson could get a red sky, which the Corruption would use a mix of purple and grey.

This is mainly me just nitpicking, but here goes:

I think the Corruption/Crimson's backgrounds could be a bit darker, basically the opposite of what you're doing to all the other biomes. I think the Crimson and Corruption biomes are purposely made to look threatening and "alien", and II think some tweaks to the background would really help convey this. The Corruption is themed around disease and decay, so a slightly darker and purple-er colour scheme would be better for the background. On the other hand, the Crimson is heavily focused on gore, so the background colours would be richer and more intense (I'm no artist though, so don't take my word on this).

Both biomes could also definitely use different colours for their skies since the current shade of blue really doesn't fit either of them very well. The Crimson could get a red sky, which the Corruption would use a mix of purple and grey.
Good ideas -- some of that would definitely fit in nicely with this pack. I took a bit of a break from this, but I'll start trying to experiment with Crimson/Corruption to make them darker, and perhaps even more creepy/eerie. Always agreed that the current blue-ish color (while a bit different) doesn't really fit. It would be great to contrast the brighter biomes I've already edited as well.

It's amazing! Very quality textures.
Thank you very much. :)

I think what ppowersteef was trying to say was that the backgrounds were made with the original, darker sky textures in mind, so the colors were chosen to make the mountains and stuff look like they're fading into the distance with that darker sky color. Here's a rough mockup of what you'd need to do to the background textures to get the same effect:

b1b.png

I could also edit the background textures for you if you want, once the sky colors are all finalized.

Last edited:
I think what ppowersteef was trying to say was that the backgrounds were made with the original, darker sky textures in mind, so the colors were chosen to make the mountains and stuff look like they're fading into the distance with that darker sky color. Here's a rough mockup of what you'd need to do to the background textures to get the same effect:
I totally get what you're saying, and I appreciate you taking the time to show your idea visually.

Problem is, a lot of these style preferences are purely a matter of taste. Some I've talked to like exactly how this pack's mountains and sky look in contrast to each other, while others may prefer minor tweaks to my pack; they may instead want something exactly what you're describing, while some prefer something completely different from either one of our visions. Ultimately in this case, my vision is to make elements pop more in backgrounds -- rather than blend more together. The mountains in your picture look far closer to vanilla Terraria rather than my pack's version (as seen in my before and after previews). If you look at real pictures of sunrises behind a mountain range on a clear day, most often mountains don't blend in with the sky at all, but rather stick out much darker as they do currently in this texture pack. That's more or less what I'm going for there.

Of course, I didn't change forest biome mountains at all, but rather achieved this effect purely by painstakingly tweaking and brightening the sky behind it.

I'll add that I may edit forest biome mountains in the future, but mostly just for making additional details to them to make them less bland. Currently, I'm still (very slowly) working on other biomes not yet released for this pack. ;)

This is absolutely awesome! I've wanted something like this for a long time.
Glad you're enjoying it! Always nice to get feedback from others who've accomplished so much the modding scene.

Last edited:
Omg, this one is so realistic, I really like the way the backgrounds are so attractive and beautiful, my man, I give you a great and great positive liked and I love seeing this much effort on yours :>

Omg, this one is so realistic, I really like the way the backgrounds are so attractive and beautiful, my man, I give you a great and great positive liked and I love seeing this much effort on yours :>
It's posts like these that truly motivate me to continue my work on this. Thank you for the support. :)

Downloaded it and I love it! However you should really update the main post about the tmodloader experimental features, it took a while for me to realise :)

Just an FYI -- since the next game update is expected to have a number of new and improved environment backgrounds, I decided I'm going to hold-off on releasing the new version until Terraria updates.

A new version of Better Ambiance can be expected in the few weeks following that, which improves upon more existing biomes, and will likely improve upon some of the brand new content in vanilla as well.

If I were to put the files from this into the same .zip file as another texture pack (as in I extract the other one, put all of these into that one and zip it up again), would it still work? I'd love to use this with my vanilla world, but I don't want to move it to tModLoader.

Wait, are these emotes new? :cool::dryadcool::merchantcool::nursecool:~:cool:`:cool::golem: (completely off topic I know)

If I were to put the files from this into the same .zip file as another texture pack (as in I extract the other one, put all of these into that one and zip it up again), would it still work? I'd love to use this with my vanilla world, but I don't want to move it to tModLoader.

Wait, are these emotes new? :cool::dryadcool::merchantcool::nursecool:~:cool:`:cool::golem: (completely off topic I know)
Yes, you can combine any valid texture files into one zip to make your own customized texture pack! I use quite the 'super-pack' myself, comprised of some hand-picked files from other packs, this one, along with many I've made not-yet released. :)

Also you can always use texture packs with a non-modded/vanilla game. Just remember if you're using tModloader, you must change the file location of the texture pack. The location for that is mentioned under the installation notes in my first post. But if you're sticking to vanilla, then you don't need to worry about it.

And no, those emotes are not new. :merchanttongue:

Yes, you can combine any valid texture files into one zip to make your own customized texture pack! I use quite the 'super-pack' myself, comprised of some hand-picked files from other packs, this one, along with many I've made not-yet released. :)

Also you can always use texture packs with a non-modded/vanilla game. Just remember if you're using tModloader, you must change the file location of the texture pack. The location for that is mentioned under the installation notes in my first post. But if you're sticking to vanilla, then you don't need to worry about it.

And no, those emotes are not new. :merchanttongue:
Right, thanks. I moved it to tModLoader anyway, popped in a few quality of life mods, but good to know I can still combine packs myself.

Hello? I have a question.
For those people like me that doesn't use tmodloader, how can you exactly install this texture pack without reaching for the tmodloader?
I don't like putting mods, and won't use it.

For those people like me that doesn't use tmodloader, how can you exactly install this texture pack without reaching for the tmodloader?
This doesn't require TModLoader at all. I'll link the official page to help you, Here.

Not a problem! The "Standard Texture Pack Installation" link in the first post of this thread is for non-mod users, and explains the installation pretty well.

You can also use SkeletalDestroyr's link in the above post to the Terraria wiki, which is the exact same information but presented slightly cleaner. :)

Back
Top Bottom