Game Mechanics Safes and Piggy Banks

jjthom3

Terrarian
So, I've been thinking about this one for a while. What if safes still acted like piggy banks, but didn't transfer to another safe, that way, it could be used for efficient and secure storage options.

So... basically just make them chests that you can carry around? I wouldn't actually know for sure, but I get the feeling that'd be a lot harder to implement than it sounds on paper.

I mean, it’s exactly as Megamage314 said. You’re suggesting that we throw away the safe’s functionality as a mobile storage unit, and just make them chests whose contents can’t be accessed by other people. And that itself isn’t much of a benefit because in multiplayer, you’re either
1. playing with a few Steam friends you already trust or
2. playing in a public server, which in all likelihood runs TShock and allows you to protect chests anyways.

Multiplayer content is fine, but no multiplayer update should worsen the singleplayer experience. Just suggest a separate item that does this, and call it a Deposit Box rather than a safe. Also, I’m pretty sure it would be difficult to implement because piggy banks etc. are character-linked, while other chests are world-linked. A deposit box would have to be linked to both. I think it would be possible, though, given that worlds remember how much of the map each player has explored.

How about allowing the player, once they own multiple safes set each safe to a unique identifier like a number or letter. Each safe can be filled independently like a chest, but each safe could be dialed to any other safe's identifier to access the contents of the other safe.

So... basically just make them chests that you can carry around? I wouldn't actually know for sure, but I get the feeling that'd be a lot harder to implement than it sounds on paper.
You already have something similar in minecraft (ender chest and shulker box). So it's possible and not toooo hard.

You already have something similar in minecraft (ender chest and shulker box). So it's possible and not toooo hard.
I'm not sure about shulker boxes or how they work, but ender chests at least function exactly the same as safes and piggy banks in terraria from what I remember.

I'm not sure about shulker boxes or how they work, but ender chests at least function exactly the same as safes and piggy banks in terraria from what I remember.
Ender chests work exactly how piggy banks do. However, shulker boxes can be picked up or placed down even if they have items in them.

No. I think that it would make an excellent mod feature to add a new item that functions as a shulker box. It's one of the items unique to MC Terraria does not have an equivalent of. But I don't think it's worth changing the mechanics of how they work now. Even if it were implemented in the base game, I'd prefer it to be as a new item rather than existing ones.

No. I think that it would make an excellent mod feature to add a new item that functions as a shulker box. It's one of the items unique to MC Terraria does not have an equivalent of. But I don't think it's worth changing the mechanics of how they work now. Even if it were implemented in the base game, I'd prefer it to be as a new item rather than existing ones.
Void Vault, Defender's Forge, Safe, and Piggy Bank all can already do that. 5 whole inventories seems like a pretty good cap to me.

Also you probably should have just made your own suggestion instead of necro-ing. This is different enough from OP that no one would have noticed.

Back
Top Bottom