tModLoader Expanded Sentries

If you can, please add some calamity support, or at least something. Maybe some armours or something?
That would have to be down the road in development and I would likely need permission in order to add armors, although I'm guessing the helmets at least given the nature of armors in that mod.

Suggestion that gears/tiered accessories and some weapons require their previous versions to upgrade? I.e. Evil gear requires a basic gear AND 12 Evil bars to craft.

I know it's been quite some time since the last update. This mod isn't dead or finished yet. I can't even say the next update is going to be big given the time gap. I haven't played much of this game for quite some time so I haven't been modding it either. However what is coming are some sprite updates by Derp?:

AdamantiteTurretDownscaled.png
AdamantiteTurretBaseDownscaled.png
TitaniumTurretDownscaled.png
TitaniumTurretBaseDownscaled.png
TerraTurret_Downscaled_.png

Suggestion that gears/tiered accessories and some weapons require their previous versions to upgrade? I.e. Evil gear requires a basic gear AND 12 Evil bars to craft.
I could do that, perhaps as a config setting once I figure out how to do those.

It's actually kinda cool seeing someone do this, as I remember making a thread ages ago with my own take/suggestions on some various sentry designs and ideas for such a class. If you like, feel free to use anything from the concept in your own work, I'll add the relevant stuff into a spoiler at the end.

The only other thing I can think of before trying this out myself would be to keep in mind that in a future Thorium update, they're talking about removing the sentry limiter for their various sentry minions. Just thought it'd be something you wanna be aware of beings you changed them for your mod. ^^;

The Defender (aka Turretmancer, Technician, Strategist, Tinker)

What It Does: The Defender is a person better set to work alongside defending a chokepoint than focusing on single combat. Much like the Summoner, he relies on others to do his battles for him. However, the Summoner's mobile mounts, while strong, are limited by the mobility. Thus, the concept of the Defender, who uses stronger, stationary defensive contraptions instead of small, fast, lightning strikers like the Summoner.

Major Details: Primary weapons are stationary summoning towers and back-mounted turrets from Armor Sets. While my original idea suggested making turrets spread out over various damage types, standardizing to Summon Damage may be a better idea in the long run, to allow some pairing up multiclassing options for a Summoner and Defender playthrough.

For now, not including stats, but some general ideas of how they'd work.

For now, as a general theme I tried to make all the turret's summoning items based around wrenches and other building tools. This is nowhere near a complete techtree either, feel free to make suggestions for areas I'm lacking in.

Pre-Hardmode Tools

Popgun Projector - A wooden wrench? What?
Creates the Popgun Turret Sentry, which fires rapidly small balls that bounce a few times if they don't hit anything. Weak but somewhat regular fire, due to it being easy to craft.

Siegemaster's Calibrators - Required to do some calibrations.
Creates the Catapult Sentry, which launches boulders in an arc. These boulders have similar physics as the Rolling Boulder trap, though maybe not as lethal. Requires metals to properly reinforce these tools.

Meteor Minelayer - A star-powered minelaying device.
Creates the Meteor Mine, a static sentry defense that will detonate should an enemy get close with meteoric power and meteor shot shrapnel.

Molten Pipewrench - This wrench emits great heat!
Creates the Inferno Maw Sentry, which unleashes timed interval flamethrower blasts that spread out from the origin point.

Hardmode Tools

Familiar Fender-Denter - It's here to solve practical problems.
A TF2 reference! This tool creates the Mk1 Sentry Bot, which has a much greater summon time than other sentry minions. After five seconds, the sentry will transform into it's MkII form, gaining increased fire rate and projectiles, and then five seconds later forms into the MkIII, gaining a rocket attack that fires periodically as well as the bullets. Sold once the Wall of Flesh was killed by an NPC.

Destroyer's Collar - A taming device for mechanized monsters.
Creates the Segments of the Destroyer, a stationary sentry that is basically a pool table bumper- it has no ranged attacks, instead anything that contacts it will be bounced back and takes melee damage.

Golem's Visage - Ancient Lihazardian technology based off the Golem
Creates a Mini-Golem Sentry, a small fragment of the Golem with a singular eye. This device shoots out Golem Eyeblasts at targets with superior piercing capabilities.

Martian Tesla Mounter - Carried by Martian Engineers
Get your sweet science-fictiony revenge! Places a friendly Martian Tesla Turret when used, unleashing powerful electric shocks to damage and debilitate foes!

Mounted Gigashark - It's best not to ask how you made this...
Lunar Portal Staff and Rainbow Prism not doing it for you? Get ahold of the Gigashark! This tri-barrel Megashark is probably one of the nastiest direct-fire turrets you can find, firing a different ammo type every time it's summoned, from bouncing meteors to AOE crystal to debilitating Ichor and Cursed.

Armors

Engineer's Overalls
Basic engineer armor, granting increased amounts of Summoned damage, increased Sentry count, and reducing enemy aggression to the player. Set bonus increases the lifetime of sentry minions outside the Army of the Old Ones invasion.

Technician's Exoskeleton
End-game engineer armor, granting increased Summoning damage, increased Sentry count, increased speed and reduced enemy aggression. The set bonus creates a back turret for the Defender, allowing for the Defender to always be defended by a simple defensive option on the go.

Accessories

Tinker's Toolbox
This basic Tinker item, granting increased numbers of Sentry Summons.

High Strength Parts
Increases the duration of all Sentry Summons by a great percent.

Pulse Drive Gadget
This device empowers Sentry Summons, granting them a subtle AOE blast that damages and knocks back nearby enemies.

Monster Bait Stick
A device that grants Sentry Summons subtle aggro ratings, allowing enemies to sometimes latch onto the sentries as a target to 'chase' despite not having any way to damage a sentry summon. Can be overwritten by characters with increased enemy aggro gear.

Man I really want new classes in vanilla. And for throwing to be expanded upon. And I thought well they can't have a odd number of towers. Maybe we need another one. When I though of Sentry. I figured. Well the mechanics are all there. So I went to see if anyone modded it yet and here it is!

I think itd be cool to see the engineering helmet become armor for this class. With two more pieces to make it a set.

Had you considered Mod of Redemption support?

Been helping out with the mod and would like to see how you use the new hardmode ore I suggested to them.

After nearly eight months, this mod is finally updated again. It is the biggest update thus far, but not nearly as much as to be expected with such a long gap since the previous update. I meant to have gotten this done far sooner, but a combo of taking breaks here and there from playing Terraria and slacking off led to this taking so long. I hope future updates can come faster. Here's a change log...

- Updated for tModLoader v0.10.1.5.
- Several new sprites added which include the rest of the turrets and Pulsar items.
- Added Pulsar Jetpack.
- Renamed Pulsar Breaker to LGM-1.
- Renamed Pulsar Chaser to Magnetar Deployer.
- Added Dart Trap Sentry and Geyser Sentry.
- Accessories that increase the same stat can no longer be stacked on top of each other with the exception of the Defender Emblem.
- Molten Turret projectile is much smaller.
- Attempted to fix what might be a tModLoader bug in which DD2 accessories gives turret slot and minion damage bonus based on accessory slot it's equipped in.
- Most turrets had their damage reduced to account for the amount that can be placed.
- Greatly toned down amount of dusts spawned from many of this mod's projectiles.
- Aqua Spikes and Aqua Turret projectiles now cause wet on hit targets.
- Toned down damage bonuses from hardmode ore helmets.
- Thorium's Void Planter projectiles no longer falsely count as sentries.
- Certain traps like spikes and cactus pillars do less damage against multiple segmented enemies.
- If an UFO Deathray loses its beam, like from Calamity's Revengeance Mode, it will now disappear instead of remaining with no beam.

I'll be updating the OP shortly and later replying to posts. I meant to reply upon updating when I thought I would be updating far sooner than this.

It's actually kinda cool seeing someone do this, as I remember making a thread ages ago with my own take/suggestions on some various sentry designs and ideas for such a class. If you like, feel free to use anything from the concept in your own work, I'll add the relevant stuff into a spoiler at the end.

The only other thing I can think of before trying this out myself would be to keep in mind that in a future Thorium update, they're talking about removing the sentry limiter for their various sentry minions. Just thought it'd be something you wanna be aware of beings you changed them for your mod. ^^;

The Defender (aka Turretmancer, Technician, Strategist, Tinker)

What It Does: The Defender is a person better set to work alongside defending a chokepoint than focusing on single combat. Much like the Summoner, he relies on others to do his battles for him. However, the Summoner's mobile mounts, while strong, are limited by the mobility. Thus, the concept of the Defender, who uses stronger, stationary defensive contraptions instead of small, fast, lightning strikers like the Summoner.

Major Details: Primary weapons are stationary summoning towers and back-mounted turrets from Armor Sets. While my original idea suggested making turrets spread out over various damage types, standardizing to Summon Damage may be a better idea in the long run, to allow some pairing up multiclassing options for a Summoner and Defender playthrough.

For now, not including stats, but some general ideas of how they'd work.

For now, as a general theme I tried to make all the turret's summoning items based around wrenches and other building tools. This is nowhere near a complete techtree either, feel free to make suggestions for areas I'm lacking in.

Pre-Hardmode Tools

Popgun Projector - A wooden wrench? What?
Creates the Popgun Turret Sentry, which fires rapidly small balls that bounce a few times if they don't hit anything. Weak but somewhat regular fire, due to it being easy to craft.

Siegemaster's Calibrators - Required to do some calibrations.
Creates the Catapult Sentry, which launches boulders in an arc. These boulders have similar physics as the Rolling Boulder trap, though maybe not as lethal. Requires metals to properly reinforce these tools.

Meteor Minelayer - A star-powered minelaying device.
Creates the Meteor Mine, a static sentry defense that will detonate should an enemy get close with meteoric power and meteor shot shrapnel.

Molten Pipewrench - This wrench emits great heat!
Creates the Inferno Maw Sentry, which unleashes timed interval flamethrower blasts that spread out from the origin point.

Hardmode Tools

Familiar Fender-Denter - It's here to solve practical problems.
A TF2 reference! This tool creates the Mk1 Sentry Bot, which has a much greater summon time than other sentry minions. After five seconds, the sentry will transform into it's MkII form, gaining increased fire rate and projectiles, and then five seconds later forms into the MkIII, gaining a rocket attack that fires periodically as well as the bullets. Sold once the Wall of Flesh was killed by an NPC.

Destroyer's Collar - A taming device for mechanized monsters.
Creates the Segments of the Destroyer, a stationary sentry that is basically a pool table bumper- it has no ranged attacks, instead anything that contacts it will be bounced back and takes melee damage.

Golem's Visage - Ancient Lihazardian technology based off the Golem
Creates a Mini-Golem Sentry, a small fragment of the Golem with a singular eye. This device shoots out Golem Eyeblasts at targets with superior piercing capabilities.

Martian Tesla Mounter - Carried by Martian Engineers
Get your sweet science-fictiony revenge! Places a friendly Martian Tesla Turret when used, unleashing powerful electric shocks to damage and debilitate foes!

Mounted Gigashark - It's best not to ask how you made this...
Lunar Portal Staff and Rainbow Prism not doing it for you? Get ahold of the Gigashark! This tri-barrel Megashark is probably one of the nastiest direct-fire turrets you can find, firing a different ammo type every time it's summoned, from bouncing meteors to AOE crystal to debilitating Ichor and Cursed.

Armors

Engineer's Overalls
Basic engineer armor, granting increased amounts of Summoned damage, increased Sentry count, and reducing enemy aggression to the player. Set bonus increases the lifetime of sentry minions outside the Army of the Old Ones invasion.

Technician's Exoskeleton
End-game engineer armor, granting increased Summoning damage, increased Sentry count, increased speed and reduced enemy aggression. The set bonus creates a back turret for the Defender, allowing for the Defender to always be defended by a simple defensive option on the go.

Accessories

Tinker's Toolbox
This basic Tinker item, granting increased numbers of Sentry Summons.

High Strength Parts
Increases the duration of all Sentry Summons by a great percent.

Pulse Drive Gadget
This device empowers Sentry Summons, granting them a subtle AOE blast that damages and knocks back nearby enemies.

Monster Bait Stick
A device that grants Sentry Summons subtle aggro ratings, allowing enemies to sometimes latch onto the sentries as a target to 'chase' despite not having any way to damage a sentry summon. Can be overwritten by characters with increased enemy aggro gear.

I had sentries as a separate damage type from summoners to set them apart from each other more. I feel they are different enough in concept and play style to be separated. Also having them two separate damage types means you can’t easily be strong in minions that follow you and sentries that hold a chokepoint. A hybrid summoner/sentry armor has crossed my mind not that long ago. Maybe even a throwing/sentry armor made with Frost Cores and Forbidden Fragments to complete the theme of early hardmode hybrid armors. Actually, maybe it could be a new mini boss that belongs to the ocean or another biome that drops a new material to make said armor out of.

I don’t know if this suggestion had a factor or not, but I decided some time ago that traps would be screwdrivers as the placement object and turrets would be wrenches. I feel this helps with the engineer theme and as a way to visually set the weapons apart aside from being staves. This would mean changing the trap and turret item sprites to not be directly what you’ll place anymore.

I’m not so sure if any of the individual suggestions would make it in. It does give me something to consider.

Man I really want new classes in vanilla. And for throwing to be expanded upon. And I thought well they can't have a odd number of towers. Maybe we need another one. When I though of Sentry. I figured. Well the mechanics are all there. So I went to see if anyone modded it yet and here it is!

I think itd be cool to see the engineering helmet become armor for this class. With two more pieces to make it a set.

I can see the engineering helmet being made into a full armor set. Perhaps as a side grade to the Sky Armor. This would be similar to the Ninja Armor no longer being vanity and instead becoming throwing armor.

Had you considered Mod of Redemption support?

Been helping out with the mod and would like to see how you use the new hardmode ore I suggested to them.

What kind of support could I have for that mod? From what I understand that mod adds a new class and has seed bags that act like sentries which last a few seconds. Is it about making new sentry weapons using the materials from the mod?

I had sentries as a separate damage type from summoners to set them apart from each other more. I feel they are different enough in concept and play style to be separated. Also having them two separate damage types means you can’t easily be strong in minions that follow you and sentries that hold a chokepoint. A hybrid summoner/sentry armor has crossed my mind not that long ago. Maybe even a throwing/sentry armor made with Frost Cores and Forbidden Fragments to complete the theme of early hardmode hybrid armors. Actually, maybe it could be a new mini boss that belongs to the ocean or another biome that drops a new material to make said armor out of.

I don’t know if this suggestion had a factor or not, but I decided some time ago that traps would be screwdrivers as the placement object and turrets would be wrenches. I feel this helps with the engineer theme and as a way to visually set the weapons apart aside from being staves. This would mean changing the trap and turret item sprites to not be directly what you’ll place anymore.

I’m not so sure if any of the individual suggestions would make it in. It does give me something to consider.

I can see the engineering helmet being made into a full armor set. Perhaps as a side grade to the Sky Armor. This would be similar to the Ninja Armor no longer being vanity and instead becoming throwing armor.

What kind of support could I have for that mod? From what I understand that mod adds a new class and has seed bags that act like sentries which last a few seconds. Is it about making new sentry weapons using the materials from the mod?

Well, yeah...regarding the new sentry weapons. Namely in the form of Druid Sentries, modified Tower Sentries, and Sentries made from either Scarlet Bars, Sapphire Bars, or Xenonite materials.

Well, yeah...regarding the new sentry weapons. Namely in the form of Druid Sentries, modified Tower Sentries, and Sentries made from either Scarlet Bars, Sapphire Bars, or Xenonite materials.
We could set up a conversation between me and the devs to get something going with this. My priority at the moment is to still finish up enough content to hit 1.0 but I'll still be opened to this.

We could set up a conversation between me and the devs to get something going with this. My priority at the moment is to still finish up enough content to hit 1.0 but I'll still be opened to this.

And this is why I suggest a Discord. Several Mods do have their Discords for suggestions and announcements. Nonetheless, I'll try and get Hallam for a chat.

I've now updated this mod to 0.960. OP will be updated sometime after this one. Here are the changes:

- Cactus Pillar now requires Iron/Lead Bars on top of Cactus to craft and damaged reduced from 10 to 8.
- Lowered the sell price of many accessories to allow for cheaper reforging.
- Gem Layers now have recipes matching that of Gem Staves. While this adds an additional cost to them, the gems required to craft them are also lower. They also have a lower value.
- Toned down the spawning of particle effects from LGM-1 projectiles.
- Improved detection of sentry items and projectiles. This means the Thorium barrier wands will no longer count as sentries. Spirit Mod sentries are detected better.
- Removed Shroomite Gear. It was an old item made unobtainable by normal means, but left in to allow easier replacing to Beetle Gear.
- Engineering Helmet is no longer a vanity item. It's now armor and costs 5 gold, but gives some sentry stats. There is a shirt and pants sold by the Mechanic to go with it for a full armor set, an alternate to Sky Armor.
- Added Wrangler, a tool of the same name from Team Fortress 2 that allows the user to aim and fire their turrets where they aim.
- Frozen Armor now requires an Ice Machine to craft instead of an anvil to add a bit more flavor to the crafting.
- Added recipe for Ice Machine and Sky Mill to help counter bad luck or trouble finding them in chests.
- Several Calamity projectiles from summoner armor set bonuses no longer counts as sentries.

I've now updated this mod to 0.960. OP will be updated sometime after this one. Here are the changes:

- Cactus Pillar now requires Iron/Lead Bars on top of Cactus to craft and damaged reduced from 10 to 8.
- Gem Layers now have recipes matching that of Gem Staves. While this adds an additional cost to them, the gems required to craft them are also lower. They also have a lower value.
- Improved detection of sentry items and projectiles. This means the Thorium barrier wands will no longer count as sentries. Spirit Mod sentries are detected better.
- Removed Shroomite Gear. It was an old item made unobtainable by normal means, but left in to allow easier replacing to Beetle Gear.
- Engineering Helmet is no longer a vanity item. It's now armor and costs 5 gold, but gives some sentry stats. There is a shirt and pants sold by the Mechanic to go with it for a full armor set, an alternate to Sky Armor.
- Added Wrangler, a tool of the same name from Team Fortress 2 that allows the user to aim and fire their turrets where they aim.

- Frozen Armor now requires an Ice Machine to craft instead of an anvil to add a bit more flavor to the crafting.
- Added recipe for Ice Machine and Sky Mill to help counter bad luck or trouble finding them in chests.
- Several Calamity projectiles from summoner armor set bonuses no longer counts as sentries.

ENGIMAIN INTENSIFIES

It looks beautiful. Also wrangler is a really nice addition to mod. Now I don't rage to sentries when they don't attack bosses.

How it feels to become the Terrarian Engineer.

• Sometimes during the DD2 event, attempting to place sentries might end up wasting Etherian Mana without actually placing the sentry.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not, but this mainly seems to only happen when the sentry placed is too close to a preexisting sentry on the horizontal axis. Spacing sentries out enough, horizontally, seems to avoid the issue.

This fixes so many issues that sentries (and summons in general) would have otherwise. Sentry shooting at something, but missing every projectile because of gravity making it arc? Make it aim up a bit. Sentry targeting something within its detection range but not shooting range? Make it aim at something else. Sentry shooting at something, but missing every projectile because the target moves too quickly or projectile moves too slowly? Make it "lead the target".

Last edited:
This mod still alive?

Also, Fargo's waiting for you to confirm the Engineer's Soul

Dell's Soul
"And you best hope...not pointed at you"
- All 4 Level 3 Dungeon Sentries + Defender Emblem + Hallowed Circuit + Terra Toolbelt + Balance + LGM-1 + Occultist's Soul
Increases Sentry Count by 6
Increases Minion Count by 3
Increases Turret detection range and Sentry Fire Rate by 50%
Allows Turrets to be placed through solid titles
While a Turret is out, you are protected by an Lightning Aura

Last edited:
Dell's Soul
"And you best hope...not pointed at you"
- All 4 Level 3 Dungeon Defender Sentries + Defender Emblem + Hallowed Circuit + Terra Toolbelt + Balance + LGM-1 + Occultist's Soul
Increases Sentry Count by 6
Increases Minion Count by 3
Increases Turret detection range and Sentry Fire Rate by 50%
Allows Turrets to be placed through solid titles
While a Turret is out, you are protected by an Lightning Aura

There's some new accessories coming to ES within the next two updates, one of which significantly changes the playstyle when in use. It would likely need to be included in a Soul like that (toggleable with the set-bonus menu thingy, probably). Also, that crafting recipe is kinda redundant, what with including both a Hallowed Circuit and a Defender emblem. I'd replace one of the two with a Celestial Chip (which may get changed to a Pulsar Chip in the next update). And what's with requiring a soul to make another soul?

But yes, the mod is definitely still alive.

Back
Top Bottom