Sprites The River (Alternate Underworld)

A friendly reminder that if you're going to post in this thread, it needs to be about the topic - in this case Izzabelle's River suggestion. Please take all other off topic talk elsewhere. Thanks.

Once again, amazing. :dryadgrin: The only thing I'm against is the dead cat thing. I love cats and it makes me sad. :dryadcry:
[doublepost=1528897321,1528896988][/doublepost]Also, Memento mori is Latin for "Remember you will die", correct?

I take it the ley line is a replacement to the hotline fishing rod as quest reward from angler able to fish in aether rather than lava? Also, there's no replacement to the obsidian swordfish. After noting that I realized that there are only the inferno (temporal) fish caught in lava, so no big deal, but I think it would still be cool to be able to get something from the aether that can help with more than potions.

My suggestion would be this:
Condemned Soulfish: Magic weapon, shoots a ghostly fish that will bounce off blocks and pierce through enemies, tearing their very soul for 4 seconds before fading. On impact sends out aesthetic screaming ghosts.
Damage: 45
Inflicts: Mortality, 5s
Mana: 15
Use Time: 31 (slow)
Knockback: 1 (extremely weak)
Autoswing: yes
Rarity: lime
Sell: 1 gold

It should be roughly balanced, but no promises.

its good, but when i think of the ferryman i think of a skeleton clad in robes, not a colossus spanning the entire screen

Greek mythology stuff aside, Its a great concept. I've just never been a fan of greek mythology

God job. I support this and I like how you made it based of Greek Mythology. The Ferryman will be hard for the devs to make because making an alternate of something that is nesessary in game progression will be hard.

God job. I support this and I like how you made it based of Greek Mythology. The Ferryman will be hard for the devs to make because making an alternate of something that is nesessary in game progression will be hard.

Demonstrably false.

In each game you have either the Eater of Worlds or the Brain of Cthulu.

That is not needed for game progression the Wall of Flesh is.
Jason's actually right. There's nothing about the Ferryman that is unique to progression, so it wouldn't affect the game at all to plug him in. Killing the Ferryman would activate Hardmode just as killing the Wall of Flesh would.

The difficult part, as with any boss, is spriting the boss and programming the mechanics unique to them (such as attack patterns). Progression would be unaffected.

Reactions: Bry
Jason's actually right. There's nothing about the Ferryman that is unique to progression, so it wouldn't affect the game at all to plug him in. Killing the Ferryman would activate Hardmode just as killing the Wall of Flesh would.

The difficult part, as with any boss, is spriting the boss and programming the mechanics unique to them (such as attack patterns). Progression would be unaffected.
It would affect proggresion. In fact dramaticly because they would have to change the spawn requirments for a whole lot of bosses

It would affect proggresion. In fact dramaticly because they would have to change the spawn requirments for a whole lot of bosses
EscenceWhatthehellareyouonabout.png

Noooo??? The Wall of Flesh doesn't affect any other bosses past letting the Hardmode ones spawn, which is just what the Ferryman would do.

Uh, no?

Kill WoF = World changes to Hardmode, the V spread happens.
Kill Ferryman = World changes to Hardmode, V spread happens.

Literally the same thing.

Codewise, the WoF is coded to trigger the Hardmode transition and the V-spread upon death, if the world is not Hardmode already. It's a simple action that you call with the code, like

turn_world_to_hardmode();

or something like that. This bit of code could easily be placed in the Ferryman too, the exact same way. In fact, you could stick this code in the freaking Eye of Cthulhu if you wanted, and it would act exactly the same way.

EDIT: Also consider this: Breaking Shadow Orbs calls code that enables meteorites and goblin army spawns. When they added the Crimson Hearts, all they had to do was have the Crimson Hearts call this same code, because the same thing happens when you break a Crimson Heart.

EDIT2: As to coding its AI, IMO, use similar AI that the Pirate Ship uses, and instead of dropping pirates off, it would instead drop ghosts off and perhaps instead of cannon balls, I dunno, have it showing spirit fireballs or something at the player.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom