Sprites Yuyu's Minibiomes: The Dark Sepulchre

Yuyutsu

Dungeon Spirit
Hey, gang! Yuyutsu here, and I'm back with another one of:
kdcROYP.png

Yuyu's Minibiomes!

Now, I love making underground microstructure suggestions for Terraria. In fact, I already have! To understand why I'm fascinated with the Terrarian underground/cavern layer, take a look at the following minimap.
ice_screenshot_20180614-170701.png
The Terraria Underground is vast, and has so much potential! Yet, it seems to be wasted by large pools of water, multiple Underground Cabins(which are really cool, but get monotonous), and a bunch of stone, with, pretty much, nothing else. That was only a small section of a Medium World. The aim of my Underground suggestions are to turn the aforementioned minimap into a diverse image that is truly unique around the world. So, let's begin with:

Dark_Worm (1) (2).png
The Dark Sepulchre
202671-1df693c207f5556b1f65623adb4ea695.png

divider.png

Structure
The Dark Sepulchre is a small microstructure that generates at the Cavern Layer of a Terrarian world. The Sepulchre will be far rarer than Underground Cabins, but will not be super uncommons- you'll be able to find a couple on your Spelunking run.

The Sepulchre is a rectangular room composed of Titanstone Blocks and Walls (these are really cool Blocks that I've never heard about, and I thought they fit this aesthetic nicely). The interior will be filled with Cursed Pots (see below), Books, and Green Banners. Towards the end of the room, a Dark Chest will be found, illuminated by two Cursed Torches. I'm using a lot of vanilla tiles as part of the Sepulchre's design, but my inspirations comes from, surprise surprise, a Starbound biome. Let's take a look at some of the modded tiles that can be found in the Dark Sepulchre.

Dark_Worm (1) (2).png

Cursed Pots
Similar to other Breakable Pots, except their green eyes glow to make them stand out.
Loot (any one of these, or Vanilla Pot loot):
Dark_Worm (1) (9).png
Crypt Arrow 10-20
Dark_Worm (1) (2) (10).png
Accursed Round 10-20
Dark_Worm (1) (2) (13).png
Cursed Candy

Breaking Cursed Pots may spawn 1-3 of the following Critters:
Dark_Worm (1) (13).png
Dark_Worm (1) (14).png
Dark_Worm (1) (12).png

Dark Worm, Decrepit Glob, Cursed Cranium, respectively.

Dark_Worm (1).png

Accursed Chest
Primary Loot:
Dark_Worm (1) (8).png
Staff of the Dark Magus- 50%
Dark_Worm (1) (10).png
Necrotic Pendant- 50%
Secondary Loot:
Dark_Worm (1) (9).png
Crypt Arrow 20-40
Accursed Round 20-40
Other:
Misc. Vanilla Gold Chest Loot

Opening the Chest for the first time spawns 2-4 of the following:
Dark_Worm (1) (2) (14).png

Wailing Skull (Pre-Hardmode)
Wraith.png

Wraith (Hardmode)

divider.png

Function
The Dark Sepulchre doesn't have any special effects. It is simply a new structure.

divider.png

NPCs
The Sepulchre adds 1 new Enemy and 3 new Critters. None of them spawn naturally.
Dark_Worm (1) (2) (14).png

Wailing Skull
32 HP / 4 Defense / 24 Damage
Lobs Cursed Flame at the Player. rarely Flies through walls, like a Cursed Skull. 2-4 Spawn upon opening an Accursed Chest for the first time.
Drops:
Cursed Candy- 20%

Dark_Worm (1) (13).png

Dark Worm
5 HP / 0 Defense / 0 Damage
Acts like a worm. Lingers for 5 seconds before dissipating into shadowy dust. Spawns when breaking Cursed Pots.
Can be caught and sold for 5
SilverCoin.gif
, or turned into their very own Terrarium. Has 25% Bait Power.

Dark_Worm (1) (14).png

Accursed Blob
Acts like a slime/grasshopper. Lingers for 5 seconds before dissipating into green dust. Spawns when breaking Cursed Pots.
Can be caught and sold for 6
SilverCoin.gif
, or turned into their very own Terrarium. Has 30% Bait Power.

Dark_Worm (1) (12).png

Cursed Cranium
Stays still and blinks. Lingers for 5 seconds before dissipating into shadowy dust. Spawns when breaking Cursed Pots rarely.
Can be caught and sold for 10
SilverCoin.gif
, or turned into their very own Terrarium. Has 35% Bait Power.

divider.png

Items
The following items are found by breaking Cursed Pots and looting Accursed Chests, or by other methods:

Dark_Worm (1) (9).png

Misc. Items

Crypt Arrow:

7 Damage / 2 Knockback
Pierces up to two enemies. Found by breaking Cursed Pots or looting Accursed Chests.

Accursed Round:
8 Damage / 2 Knockback
Pierces up to two enemies. Found by breaking Cursed Pots or looting Accursed Chests.

Cursed Candy:
Consumable. Reduces life regneration, but increases damage reduction by 7%. 3 min duration.

Dark_Worm (1) (8).png
Dark_Worm (1) (10).png

Chest Loot

Staff of the Dark Magus:

20 Magic Damage / 6 Mana / 2 Knockback / 4% Crit Chance
Shoots a ball of green flame that, upon hitting an enemy, jumps to another enemy. Hits up to two enemies in this manner.

Necrotic Pendant
Has a 20% chance to increase the Player's immunity frames when hit (precursor to the Cross Necklace).

Dark_Worm (1) (2) (12).png

Other:

Staff of the Accursed Demon:

41 Magic Damage / 14 Mana / 2 Knockback / 6% Crit Chance
Shoots a ball of cursed flame that arcs from enemy to enemy. Can hit up to four enemies in this manner. Crafted with a Staff of the Dark Magus and a Cursed Flames (tome) at a Mythril Anvil.

divider.png

Mockup
I managed to make a mock-up of what the Dark Sepulchre would look like in-game with a hint of coding and building. Hope you like it!
ice_screenshot_20180614-193407.png

divider.png

That's all I have for today, guys! I hope you enjoyed another one of my Minibiomes. Comments? Questions? Suggestions? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for reading :D

Last edited:
I like this quite a bit. The sprites are all great! I think the structure would benefit from being built from something new instead of Titanstone. That might just be me wanting more for the glowing green aestetic, though. Do the critters have any potential for fishing?

I like this quite a bit. The sprites are all great! I think the structure would benefit from being built from something new instead of Titanstone. That might just be me wanting more for the glowing green aestetic, though. Do the critters have any potential for fishing?
I'd make my own tile, but I'm a bit lazy when it comes to spritesheets like those. However, I did forget to add bait powers for the critters! Added them now.

The underground is so boring, having a lot of small but variety of underground gen would freshen up venturing the mining experience. Do more please.
10/10 starbound reference

This looks pretty great! The underground could use something like this to make mining trips more exciting.

I honestly love this, just a little surprise when adventuring below

I was expecting a summon weapon in the chest, but hey, You win some you lose some

I like this suggestion. Honestly your entire minibiomes series is both well done and addressing something that the game needs. Only issue is that I don't agree on having an ammo type that is both rare and nonrenewable (even if its nothing to write home about in terms of performance). A good rule of thumb when designing ammo is that it should either be common or renewable (if not both) and most ammo in the game follows this rule. Imo would be better if the ammo dropped from the mobs instead, or if you just cut it as its relatively unremarkable.

On the topic of ammo, it may need to not spawn the arms dealer, as it can cause him to arrive way before breaking a shadow orb. But the rest of the suggestion was amazing.

Back
Top Bottom