NPCs & Enemies Guide should get some more love

PrinceMath

Official Terrarian
i always used to listen to the advices from the guide when i got the game. but at hardmode he kinda becomes useless, in pc everyone uses him for WOF and recipes, on mobile he is basically useless unless for WOF. i suggest on some point, make him give more advices and let him track your progress so atleast when your lost, use him and your back, example, when you kill 3 of the mech bosses , he would say " theres a pink bulb in the underground jungle, i suggest not to touch it until your prepared " or when your prepared for plantera he would say " i think your ready for the pink bulb, break it and find out! ". heres some chats i would suggests

killing eaters of world
" did you kill the eaters of world/Brain of cthulhu? i suggest you make the deathbringer/nightmare pickaxe to mine the hellstone in the underworld. make sure your prepared."
skeletron dead.
" perhaps you should visit the dungeon now, who knows what lies there? "
ready for wof
" i think your ready for the challenge. find a voodoo doll and throw it in the lava, it will need a bit of sacrifices for it "
ready for any of the mech bosses
" your ready for the destroyer! get some rotten chunks, soul of nights and iron/lead bars to make the summoner"
if you click again after he says this
" be sure not to get hit by the head, it will hurt a lot if it does. "
and if u click again
" nimbus rod is great for the battle as they will help you"
killed destroyer.
" did you do it? great! now combine a minishark with 5 shark fins, an illegal gun part and some soul of mights and you get an upgraded version of the minishark. "

yep thats all.

I like the idea of giving the guide more things to say as the game progresses, but a lot of these don't quite seem like they would be good.

These ones I like:
" theres a pink bulb in the underground jungle, i suggest not to touch it until your prepared "
" perhaps you should visit the dungeon now, who knows what lies there? "

The other ones don't really fit the guide's "personality," and most of them are about specific weapons and recipes that aren't really all that necessary for progression. The current guide quotes are all directly related to progression (e.g. pointing out important materials and recipes, next steps that the player needs to take, etc.) with many of them worded in a way that is useful but still a little vague and mysterious.

A few other ideas for new quotes:
  • "Your recent conquest has attracted the attention of fearsome mechanical beasts. You should prepare yourself before facing them." (after defeating WoF, but before mechanical bosses)
  • "Legends tell of a lost temple deep in the jungle that holds many valuable treasures. Use that key to get in, but beware: it's heavily guarded!" (after defeating plantera)
  • "Some suspicious robed figures have shown up at the dungeon. Whatever they're doing, it can't be good." (after defeating golem)
  • "Destroying those pillars will provide the materials to make powerful weapons and armor. You'll need them for what lies ahead." (after defeating lunatic cultist)

I like the idea of giving the guide more things to say as the game progresses, but a lot of these don't quite seem like they would be good.

These ones I like:

The other ones don't really fit the guide's "personality," and most of them are about specific weapons and recipes that aren't really all that necessary for progression. The current guide quotes are all directly related to progression (e.g. pointing out important materials and recipes, next steps that the player needs to take, etc.) with many of them worded in a way that is useful but still a little vague and mysterious.

A few other ideas for new quotes:
  • "Your recent conquest has attracted the attention of fearsome mechanical beasts. You should prepare yourself before facing them." (after defeating WoF, but before mechanical bosses)
  • "Legends tell of a lost temple deep in the jungle that holds many valuable treasures. Use that key to get in, but beware: it's heavily guarded!" (after defeating plantera)
  • "Some suspicious robed figures have shown up at the dungeon. Whatever they're doing, it can't be good." (after defeating golem)
  • "Destroying those pillars will provide the materials to make powerful weapons and armor. You'll need them for what lies ahead." (after defeating lunatic cultist)
yeh but those quotes r really not too neccessary, use him if your lost on your progress.

Why don’t you add quotes for Skeletron Prime, The Twins, Golem, Lunatic Cultist, Lunar Events, and Moon Lord?
oh i forgot.

here they are:

not ready for prime
" you arent ready for the next boss, try to improve your accessories and armor"
ready for prime
" you're ready for the next boss, gather 3 soul of nights and lights, 6 iron bars and 30 bones for the summoning item. "
ready for the twins
" you should kill the next boss, get 3 lens, 6 soul of lights and iron bars. i suggest killing spazmatism first to make the fight easier "
killed plantera
" the key dropped from plantera should open the lihzahrd temple, do it and find out! "
ready for golem
" the lihzahrd power cells you claimed from the chests can be used for the altar, be sure to be prepared. "
not ready for the cultists
" theres the cultists in the dungeon, you shouldn't mess with them until your ready. "
ready for cultist
" i think your ready for the ritual in the dungeon, mess around with them and see what happens"
lunar event active
" i suggest killing the pillar of your class, solar is melee, vortex is ranged, stardust is summoner, and the nebula is mage."
before the moon lord spawns
" the impending doom is going to visit you, be prepared for him as he might hurt "
killing the moon lord
" great job! we should celebrate for the victory! "

Like me. I killed Skeletron with a Gold Helmet, iron chestplate (I think), aincent shadow Greaves, and a phaseblabe
Exactly my point. So how would the game determine "readiness" for any given boss, if most or all of the bosses can be killed with a sufficient amount of skill and preparation, regardless of what gear is used?

Exactly my point. So how would the game determine "readiness" for any given boss, if most or all of the bosses can be killed with a sufficient amount of skill and preparation, regardless of what gear is used?
the game will determine the gear i guess.

I'm all for more guide quotes, but most of the ones you suggested don't fit very well. For one, the guide's tips aren't meant to tell you exactly how to craft things, only basic outlines. He also doesn't tell you boss strategies. Overall, I'd recommend studying the Guides quotes here and then revising yours.

I'm all for more guide quotes, but most of the ones you suggested don't fit very well. For one, the guide's tips aren't meant to tell you exactly how to craft things, only basic outlines. He also doesn't tell you boss strategies. Overall, I'd recommend studying the Guides quotes here and then revising yours.
That's basically what I was originally saying too.

Back
Top Bottom