Resolved The save file ***.player was created with a newer version of terraria and could not be loaded.

Same thing has just happened to me and sadly it was my best character
Hopefully you were able to take advantage of the back up slots and manually made backups of that character beforehand, explained here: Mobile Backup Instructions

It's a bummer when our data get erased like that, but thankfully we have backup measures given to us now.

OK, I was wrong the first time. BUT... I know how to totally prevent it now. You must only use the first three save files on both the characters and the worlds. I think that the devices weren't ready for the extra save slots, but they may be fixed in the next update. Also, cloud save needs to be off.

This has also happened to me. I had all of my end game gear and 2 terra blades. You guys should come out with a new update that fixes some of these things... Just my opinion. Because we haven't had a mobile update for a while. Does anyone else agree?

This has also happened to me. I had all of my end game gear and 2 terra blades. You guys should come out with a new update that fixes some of these things... Just my opinion. Because we haven't had a mobile update for a while. Does anyone else agree?
Mobile will be getting the big 1.3 update later this year. After console (PS4 and Xbox One only) get it, mobile will then be getting it. Console and mobile are going to be re-coded from scratch, so hopefully it will take care of most of the lingering bugs.

Xbox One and PS4 will get the 1.3 update - Mobile after that
(target date is now Q3 2017 for console, a few months after that for mobile)

Meet Pipeworks

Watch the Streams
Pipeworks streams console Terraria on Twitch every Friday at 2:00pm PT, answering questions, sometimes showing off spoilers and inviting the Terraria community to join them online to play.

Last edited:
Mobile will be getting the big 1.3 update later this year. After console (PS4 and Xbox One only) get it, mobile will then be getting it. Console and mobile are going to be re-coded from scratch, so hopefully it will take care of most of the lingering bugs.

Xbox One and PS4 will get the 1.3 update - Mobile after that
(target date is now Q3 2017 for console, a few months after that for mobile)

Meet Pipeworks

Watch the Streams
Pipeworks streams console Terraria on Twitch every Friday from 2-5pm PST, answering questions, sometimes showing off spoilers and inviting the Terraria community to join them online to play.
Ok, I know this may not be added in the update, but may I just request a bigger field of view on the MOBILE versions of terraria (Specifically phones. Tablets have a great FOV). Just a request ;)

Guys if you're save is cloud then go to device setting and delete all information for Terraria and go back to the game. Sign in to Google play go to your save and it should be there. after that the safest way to go is back it up to the device.:merchantwink::redspin:

Last edited:
Well its still happening. My tablet crashed and upon restart I get the created with a newer version error. Not only did this character have alot of stuff like beetle armor and flame wings but stuff that took forever to find everything is up to date and my tablet is barely a year old

Well its still happening. My tablet crashed and upon restart I get the created with a newer version error. Not only did this character have alot of stuff like beetle armor and flame wings but stuff that took forever to find everything is up to date and my tablet is barely a year old
It is always a bummer when I see someone that's been hit by this again. And there never seems to be a pattern that I can tell.

Were you by chance fiddling with your device's clock? Some players will make their date go into the future (to trick other games into giving prizes before they should, like opening a 3-day chest early).

IF you're on Android, and IF the player/world was a cloud save, you can try this. Please be careful with this option.
  • Log into your Google Drive from a computer, and find the Terraria cloud save files.
  • Select a file, right click and choose View More Options
  • And then Manage Versions.
  • Hopefully it will pop up a list showing all the recent versions of that file.
  • Remove the most recent version that shows 0.0 kb (delete it or move it to your desktop).
  • If the next most recent version also shows 0.0 kb, remove that as well.
  • Restart your Terraria on your device, give it plenty of time to find the cloud saves.
If you're not on Android, or if they weren't in the cloud, hopefully you've taken advantage of the extra save slots and manually made backups of the player/world before it was glitched, explained here: Mobile Backup Instructions

Sorry I don't have better news. If you'd like to talk with 505 Games directly and see if they have any better news about your issue, you can open a Support Ticket with them here (you'll need to make an account to open a ticket): https://support.505games.com/en/support/home

This happened to me a few days ago. While I was playing on my Amazon fire, my hand accidentally hit the power button because the way I hold it, my hand rests on the power button. I turned it back on, and I was at the home screen. So, I just went back to terraria. It doesn't resume, it starts over from menu. But when I hit the play button, this happens
E-3rWzxyHNX2RIAg6xRkLzX59yLEKxYK68w65ctNMYGlozi8AtTCAw1XKJ4dDWJfY_G7PY7wr4vcf74-BeJdTGV_7I3YStHgw8mzJKfWo_L2g9o485BjofwiO1IcDhv1r0X_SlHtV0W7-6VpKQPhbbEu6VLd4ePFhxiiwfqFHMqGOVpyeiXgYD9J206aN63kWCkEZaNWdR_neTGxBjz5mnRHy-oBH1fxGJ4-LtuLfzknFb0jcfCtFGKd3-jI2PTAO75euIDKkDv06W7gi8zycnr-e2cLMtSZ5wOYujMuU0cZxIQJsXEidq_QD4b-ufdGOjuKEu5cbAboXpz1rjHcYu-wM_W2nrzZ5GRHzWbeMsVZRNF1QBZ1JRN4gx6DFLY_PhxqK1qUnzoRpPMKDt9uhZj335NM9g4yKiqy9_zO2yJQ_ik0JUW7TH9A74pP8gwVEPVqJi18y_3QIZBEfhZlv3fxHdYyDdwzZdoJCxXTJkqXwYAceaYT3rHvHoiq7_HFdNPO4CXlwjVq_3j9XPKqBoBN_c7FwBTMgkqBKQi42ji5v5AGhvRtetv404BTjZV63dldZhNsBZHUw51UrjcqyWIM_JSSW-_TvrDMukKgaQ=w940-h588-no

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-07-02-30-37.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-07-02-30-37.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 187
The same thing happened to me! I was playing perfectly fine then That STUPID message popped up and I was like WHAT! I was just getting ready to fight the wall of flesh too! I was so pissed I came here and talked to a Moderator. They don’t seem to be much held though...

This happened to me a few days ago. While I was playing on my Amazon fire, my hand accidentally hit the power button because the way I hold it, my hand rests on the power button. I turned it back on, and I was at the home screen. So, I just went back to terraria. It doesn't resume, it starts over from menu. But when I hit the play button, this happens
E-3rWzxyHNX2RIAg6xRkLzX59yLEKxYK68w65ctNMYGlozi8AtTCAw1XKJ4dDWJfY_G7PY7wr4vcf74-BeJdTGV_7I3YStHgw8mzJKfWo_L2g9o485BjofwiO1IcDhv1r0X_SlHtV0W7-6VpKQPhbbEu6VLd4ePFhxiiwfqFHMqGOVpyeiXgYD9J206aN63kWCkEZaNWdR_neTGxBjz5mnRHy-oBH1fxGJ4-LtuLfzknFb0jcfCtFGKd3-jI2PTAO75euIDKkDv06W7gi8zycnr-e2cLMtSZ5wOYujMuU0cZxIQJsXEidq_QD4b-ufdGOjuKEu5cbAboXpz1rjHcYu-wM_W2nrzZ5GRHzWbeMsVZRNF1QBZ1JRN4gx6DFLY_PhxqK1qUnzoRpPMKDt9uhZj335NM9g4yKiqy9_zO2yJQ_ik0JUW7TH9A74pP8gwVEPVqJi18y_3QIZBEfhZlv3fxHdYyDdwzZdoJCxXTJkqXwYAceaYT3rHvHoiq7_HFdNPO4CXlwjVq_3j9XPKqBoBN_c7FwBTMgkqBKQi42ji5v5AGhvRtetv404BTjZV63dldZhNsBZHUw51UrjcqyWIM_JSSW-_TvrDMukKgaQ=w940-h588-no
The same thing happened to me! I was playing perfectly fine then That STUPID message popped up and I was like WHAT! I was just getting ready to fight the wall of flesh too! I was so pissed I came here and talked to a Moderator. They don’t seem to be much held though...
This is always a tough error when I see it reported. It seems to happen randomly and I haven’t heard of any solution to it. Something went wrong somewhere - that’s one of the reasons that the mobile version will be getting an entirely new codebase. In the hopes that these kind of errors won’t be in the code anymore. There is no release date yet for mobile’s update.

@Donkyhun78, us moderators don’t have all the answers. We’re Terraria lovers that volunteer our time to help keep the forums organized. When you first posted about your problem I did try to help, but it was hard as you didn’t clearly identify what your error was in detail. We had messages back and forth, and after you did eventually state what your error was (that you got the “player was created with a newer version error”) I must not have gotten an alert and I failed to go back in to answer, sorry about that. :)

My Little brother 5 years old just got this on his Kindle! There was the new update and everything which said critical bug fixes! Sad to see this not being fixed. He had just built his rather quirky candy-cane house with a pet penguin and when it went, he was devastated! I'm so angry they didn't fix this!

My Little brother 5 years old just got this on his Kindle! There was the new update and everything which said critical bug fixes! Sad to see this not being fixed. He had just built his rather quirky candy-cane house with a pet penguin and when it went, he was devastated! I'm so angry they didn't fix this!
Hi @GhettoPrince, it is frustrating when this error pops up, I understand. There hasn't been any new update for the mobile version though, so I'm not sure what update your brother thinks happened.

The mobile version will be getting a big update, and an entirely new codebase, so that hopefully these issues won't happen anymore. There is no estimate to when the new update will be out.

4 months after the last post.... has there been a fix for this yet? My 6 year is blaming himself and crying over this “xxxx.player created in a newer version” error on the Kindle Fire. It sounds like it’s not his fault and is actually fairly common, but that isn’t making him feel any better :(

Please tell me that there is a fix to this now, and that I’m just not able to find it on these forums because I’m a noob

4 months after the last post.... has there been a fix for this yet? My 6 year is blaming himself and crying over this “xxxx.player created in a newer version” error on the Kindle Fire. It sounds like it’s not his fault and is actually fairly common, but that isn’t making him feel any better :(

Please tell me that there is a fix to this now, and that I’m just not able to find it on these forums because I’m a noob
Hi @Bill7269, Pipeworks is currently working on an update for mobile Terraria. It will have entirely new code, so it’s not a simple and quick fix, unfortunately. It is my hope, and I’m sure a lot of other mobile players’ hope, that a lot of the issues present in the mobile version will be taken care of with the new update.

However, we’re still a bit out from getting the update. There is no estimate of a release date, and there has been no news yet of what the system requirements will be in order to handle the update.

When there is news, they’ll share it in this Developer News section: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?forums/mobile-505-games.86/

My 9-year old plays on a Kindle Fire and this error came up. He is very frustrated that he has apparently lost access to his saved character and all the progress that he has made.

People have apparently been complaining about this known error for awhile now. Is there a fix so that we can restore his data? I’ve read a bunch of different posts here and elsewhere and there doesn’t seem to be a clear solution.

My 9-year old plays on a Kindle Fire and this error came up. He is very frustrated that he has apparently lost access to his saved character and all the progress that he has made.

People have apparently been complaining about this known error for awhile now. Is there a fix so that we can restore his data? I’ve read a bunch of different posts here and elsewhere and there doesn’t seem to be a clear solution.
Hi @sdeplonty, I’m sorry to say that I don’t know of any fix or solution to recover the character or world file unless you had a backup (explained here: Mobile Backup Instructions

Sorry I don't have better news. If you'd like to talk with 505 Games directly and see if they have any better news about your issue, you can open a Support Ticket with them here (you'll need to make an account to open a ticket): https://support.505games.com/en/support/home

The mobile version is getting an update that will come with a completely new codebase which will hopefully make these issues obsolete in the future. There is no estimate of a release date, and no info yet on what system requirements will be needed in order to run the update.

Back
Top Bottom