tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few videos that I saw that said it would be out this year. Not sure if they are reliable or not, but I figured it would be better to be over prepared than to be under prepared.

Also, I'm relatively new. How do I quote the messages before me so you can tell what I'm referring to?

Just a few videos that I saw that said it would be out this year. Not sure if they are reliable or not, but I figured it would be better to be over prepared than to be under prepared.

Also, I'm relatively new. How do I quote the messages before me so you can tell what I'm referring to?
On the bottom right of each post there's a "Reply" button. To the left of it is a "+ Quote" button as well, but that's used for replying to multiple people at once.

Hey, on the subject of 1.3.6, Cenx said on the Terraria Subreddit discord and I quote "official mod support will be the last thing we attempt before we walk away" this was following a question about 1.3.6 and TModLoader. make of that what you will but if Terraria does get official mod support will that affect this mod in any way? seriously looking forward to it

Hey, on the subject of 1.3.6, Cenx said on the Terraria Subreddit discord and I quote "official mod support will be the last thing we attempt before we walk away" this was following a question about 1.3.6 and TModLoader. make of that what you will but if Terraria does get official mod support will that affect this mod in any way? seriously looking forward to it
Something like that will definitely affect this mod, though I can't say how much, since I know nothing about how future mod support may work (if they actually add it).

is this mod still being revived? i'm pretty good at modding, and from what i'm seeing this mod do it might be easy enough for me to port it. i wont be able to do it constantly, i've got my own mod to work on, but i get stumped and having something else to work on instead would be nice.

is this mod still being revived? i'm pretty good at modding, and from what i'm seeing this mod do it might be easy enough for me to port it. i wont be able to do it constantly, i've got my own mod to work on, but i get stumped and having something else to work on instead would be nice.
I'm actually in the process of updating this mod to Terraria 1.3+ via tModLoader, and I've already got a team helping me. We're making relatively consistent progress (aside from the fact that this is just a hobby and is being worked on in our free time), so I don't think we need any more helpers, but I appreciate the offer regardless.

yeah i do tmodloader too. well, if you need anyone, i'll gladly help, and if it's needed, i'll show some stuff i've done in the past

if you dont mind me asking

how hard is it to do a direct port from tapi to tmodloader?

direct port as in no new content no rebalances and no recoding(if thats even possible)

Last edited:
if you dont mind me asking

how hard is it to do a direct port from tapi to tmodloader?

direct port as in no new content no rebalances and no recoding(if thats even possible)
It's possible and probably relatively easy(ish) to do. It really depends on the complexity of the mod. My mod in particular, may be rather difficult, as I had to completely rewrite the Power Beam addon interface, but everything else would be pretty much straight forward (you have to do stuff like manually combine the .json files into the .cs files and all that, so it's definitely tedius).

To be honest, this feels more like a question that should be asked on the tModLoader thread, as you may get a more definite answer there (though it is a bit likely that they will tell you pretty much the same thing).

Something like that would be best used with a mod that lets you alter enemy health on a global scale so you don't one-shotting enemies with your eventually overpowered weapons. I remember going around Metroid Prime 1 and 2, firing more powerbeam shots than I can count at them until my fingers were raw and bloody. The farther along in the game I went, the harder everything became, and I definitely valued each and every energy tank I had. I'm not the best player, a'la speedrunners, but I'm a far cry from being awful at them too. o_O

So I can see them having a use, or an outright replacer.

As Joost mentioned, Energy Tanks are going to be crafting components, specifically for making the Power Suit and some other starting items. I have no plans to add items that extend the player's maximum life, as it would break the balance of the game if I didn't execute it correctly. If I buff the player, then I have to buff enemies and bosses to balance it out, but then vanilla stuff becomes too easy, so I'm going to avoid outright buffing the player entirely.

As Joost mentioned, Energy Tanks are going to be crafting components, specifically for making the Power Suit and some other starting items. I have no plans to add items that extend the player's maximum life, as it would break the balance of the game if I didn't execute it correctly. If I buff the player, then I have to buff enemies and bosses to balance it out, but then vanilla stuff becomes too easy, so I'm going to avoid outright buffing the player entirely.

Good to hear that you're working around the vanilla system regarding balance.

The main problem with most content mods is that they trivialize most of the base game. This is fine for a total conversion but when you add content it should work pretty well alongside the base system instead of being a few steps ahead.

So... here is a thought. what if you added a sort of slot for the power suits that could hold a sort of energy tank, but acted more like a shield, akin to what you have done for missile containers and to how the 'health' in metroid really works (since energy is basically an energy shield for the power suit). Additionally, each power suit could hold more 'shield canisters' than the previous versions and the 'shield canisters' could be any number of things: boss drops, rare drops, craftable but requires rare materials, or craftable but requires multiple steps similar to some accessories. This way, it isn't really additional health for the player, it is just like additional defense for the armors.

So... here is a thought. what if you added a sort of slot for the power suits that could hold a sort of energy tank, but acted more like a shield, akin to what you have done for missile containers and to how the 'health' in metroid really works (since energy is basically an energy shield for the power suit). Additionally, each power suit could hold more 'shield canisters' than the previous versions and the 'shield canisters' could be any number of things: boss drops, rare drops, craftable but requires rare materials, or craftable but requires multiple steps similar to some accessories. This way, it isn't really additional health for the player, it is just like additional defense for the armors.
If I understand correctly, what you're suggesting is an extra health bar on top of the vanilla health, which... would basically result in the same balancing problem.

Terraria's equivalent to Metroid's energy tanks are life crystals and life fruit. There's no need to add another layer of complexity to this.

Does anybody still have the tapi version of this mod.I noticed that the tapi download link was removed if you have the mod please send a downlload link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom