tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody still have the tapi version of this mod.I noticed that the tapi download link was removed if you have the mod please send a downlload link.
Certainly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4f9whxzaxxd33q/Metroid Mod 2_0 Beta.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytqcqvg26nx6zxx/Metroid Mod 2_0 Beta Source.zip?dl=0

The links on the first post have been down ever since dropbox updated some years back. I'm unable to edit the first post for some reason, though.

If I understand correctly, what you're suggesting is an extra health bar on top of the vanilla health, which... would basically result in the same balancing problem.
more of like being able to add a little bit more defense to the suits without having to create a whole new one. so the player doesn't have additional health, its just that attacks do a little bit less damage, but only a small amount so as to not cause balancing issues.

more of like being able to add a little bit more defense to the suits without having to create a whole new one. so the player doesn't have additional health, its just that attacks do a little bit less damage, but only a small amount so as to not cause balancing issues.
Terraria already has a defense mechanic. I fail to see the reason for adding a new defense mechanic on top of the existing one.

Terraria already has a defense mechanic. I fail to see the reason for adding a new defense mechanic on top of the existing one.
okay, then don't. I was just voicing an idea that I thought of when someone suggested energy tanks and you said no. It's your mod, i'm just here to voice ideas and be excited for when I can play it.

okay, then don't. I was just voicing an idea that I thought of when someone suggested energy tanks and you said no. It's your mod, i'm just here to voice ideas and be excited for when I can play it.
Apologies if I came off as overly critical. I do enjoy suggestions and opinions. It's just that I was hoping you were really suggesting something, well, more that wasn't immediately obvious or something along those lines. I have a tendency to criticize suggestions if they don't show much promise to me. But hey, if it wasn't for even the simplest suggestions, I don't think this mod would be where it is.

Edit: I think I initially misunderstood your post, but uh... eh, oh well.

Last edited:
Apologies if I came off as overly critical. I do enjoy suggestions and opinions. It's just that I was hoping you were really suggesting something, well, more that wasn't immediately obvious or something along those lines. I have a tendency to criticize suggestions if they don't show much promise to me. But hey, if it wasn't for even the simplest suggestions, I don't think this mod would be where it is.

Edit: I think I initially misunderstood your post, but uh... eh, oh well.
No worries, i'm sorry if I came off as upset, because i'm really not. As for my idea, I was kinda surprised when you said that there were not going to be energy tanks because it just seemed like a given for anything Metroid related. I can totally see your argument as to why you are not adding them as max-life boosts and I completely agree with you, but I thought of that idea and figured 'why not post it? No harm done either way...'. The goal was to add something that simulated the shielding aspect of the power suit, while also not being an overpowered buff to the player. Also, I am so glad that you are so active in making this mod as well as checking this forum for suggestions and ideas from the excited Terraria players. I am a firm believer that the best games/mods come from developers who listen to their fan-base and forums for idea, suggestions, and criticism. So, cheers mate, keep up the good work. I'll keep posting if I have any ideas.

P.S. I also tend to write out my ideas in strange round-about descriptions, so i'm sorry if they are confusing.

Ideas are like experiments, throw them at a wall and see which ones stick, which ones fall short, and which ones smash the wall and break everything. -Gnatg, five minutes ago

What about reserve tanks? Like a sort of auto potion on a cooldown after taking fatal damage? Or maybe something that can be charged by using hearts?

What about reserve tanks? Like a sort of auto potion on a cooldown after taking fatal damage? Or maybe something that can be charged by using hearts?
Actually, I remember toying with a similar idea some time ago, but I eventually forgot about it. Initially I thought of auto-use, death-preventative healing potions, but I think I could turn them into something better. I also have to make sure such a thing is effectively balanced, otherwise it really will feel like just extra health if I'm not careful.

It would work almost exactly like the Reserve Tanks in Super Metroid, in that it's an item that is filled by getting health drops even after your health is maxed. And then the item drains itself once you run out of HP. But to prevent it from just being extra health in disguise, it could apply the vanilla health potion cooldown after use, so that it has some cost to it. It could also work in that rather than refilling 100 HP per tank like in SM, it only refills 20 HP, which is 1 heart in Terraria. So, with all 4 tanks, you only get 80 HP, but it prevents an otherwise premature death if you forgot to press the quick health potion button (I could also do something so that the cooldown starts low and scales with how many Reserve Tanks you have). And maybe it doesn't stop at just 4 tanks, or something. There's a lot of balancing factors to consider.

How such an item will be implemented, let alone equipped to the player, I haven't decided, but I'll probably figure something out. It'll likely be post-hard mode or something along those lines.

(Sorry if that seemed long. My mind went on a creative spree and I wanted it written down somewhere.)

Actually, I remember toying with a similar idea some time ago, but I eventually forgot about it. Initially I thought of auto-use, death-preventative healing potions, but I think I could turn them into something better. I also have to make sure such a thing is effectively balanced, otherwise it really will feel like just extra health if I'm not careful.

It would work almost exactly like the Reserve Tanks in Super Metroid, in that it's an item that is filled by getting health drops even after your health is maxed. And then the item drains itself once you run out of HP. But to prevent it from just being extra health in disguise, it could apply the vanilla health potion cooldown after use, so that it has some cost to it. It could also work in that rather than refilling 100 HP per tank like in SM, it only refills 20 HP, which is 1 heart in Terraria. So, with all 4 tanks, you only get 80 HP, but it prevents an otherwise premature death if you forgot to press the quick health potion button (I could also do something so that the cooldown starts low and scales with how many Reserve Tanks you have). And maybe it doesn't stop at just 4 tanks, or something. There's a lot of balancing factors to consider.

How such an item will be implemented, let alone equipped to the player, I haven't decided, but I'll probably figure something out. It'll likely be post-hard mode or something along those lines.

(Sorry if that seemed long. My mind went on a creative spree and I wanted it written down somewhere.)
That sounds pretty nice though I think maybe just bumping that to a hundred total health across them all. Useful early game okayish late game. I mostly based the idea on an item from another mod where it sort of "absorbed" hearts until the bottle filled up which you could then use as a quick one time chug to restore...I think it was 200 hp max? It was off the potion cooldown and its only limitation was hearts themselves but if it was empty you couldn't pick up hearts to heal yourself so it did hold that downside.

If they're gonna heal that low until you get enough tanks I think maybe it'd be a good idea if they were sort of a one time drop from certain bosses spanning pre-hm to hm. As for being equipped? Well if you still use that special ui a slot there for them could be neat. If not maybe they could be an accessory thats upgraded with extra tanks and maybe has some kind of counter for how "filled" they are somewhere. A ui element? In the text? Either or would work really.

Scooter, do you know what the price of competence, creativity, and the willingness to go the extra mile is? People take your stuff and really run with it. Despite there being tons of utterly incredible massive mods out there, like Thorium and Calamity, your mod is the only one where I legitimately want to make it its own solitary experience. I only want to use your content instead of even vanilla content, much less modded stuff. Maybe some of Chad's Furniture because I can't resist building, but any run I do that has your mod on it will always be centered on being Metroid first, Terraria second.

It's a pretty impactful thing, I think.

So they may not even have potions to use because that would break immersion. So I know balance is a big thing, (As it should be.) but at some point, we have to remember that the player will break their own immersion however they want. It's up to them.

So if reserve tanks are a substitute for potions, and other life-saving things, that could work. If they store 20 HP each and activate on death, that's cool too. This is mostly a reminder that immersion often trumps balance, if that makes any sense. (I'm not even sure if it makes sense to me. ) lol

That sounds pretty nice though I think maybe just bumping that to a hundred total health across them all. Useful early game okayish late game. I mostly based the idea on an item from another mod where it sort of "absorbed" hearts until the bottle filled up which you could then use as a quick one time chug to restore...I think it was 200 hp max? It was off the potion cooldown and its only limitation was hearts themselves but if it was empty you couldn't pick up hearts to heal yourself so it did hold that downside.

If they're gonna heal that low until you get enough tanks I think maybe it'd be a good idea if they were sort of a one time drop from certain bosses spanning pre-hm to hm. As for being equipped? Well if you still use that special ui a slot there for them could be neat. If not maybe they could be an accessory thats upgraded with extra tanks and maybe has some kind of counter for how "filled" they are somewhere. A ui element? In the text? Either or would work really.
Well, 20 HP was just a suggested, tentative value, which could be changed. The idea is that I don't want auto-use potions to completely trump vanilla potions in terms of total healing power (though I guess that all may depend on how they're obtained).

I'm probably gonna make them an accessory, because now Morph Ball acts as a mount which frees up a slot, and Screw Attack can be combined with Space Booster (the Space Jump + Speed Booster combo) which frees up another slot. So making the Reserve Tanks an accessory is probably the best idea.

Scooter, do you know what the price of competence, creativity, and the willingness to go the extra mile is? People take your stuff and really run with it. Despite there being tons of utterly incredible massive mods out there, like Thorium and Calamity, your mod is the only one where I legitimately want to make it its own solitary experience. I only want to use your content instead of even vanilla content, much less modded stuff. Maybe some of Chad's Furniture because I can't resist building, but any run I do that has your mod on it will always be centered on being Metroid first, Terraria second.

It's a pretty impactful thing, I think.

So they may not even have potions to use because that would break immersion. So I know balance is a big thing, (As it should be.) but at some point, we have to remember that the player will break their own immersion however they want. It's up to them.

So if reserve tanks are a substitute for potions, and other life-saving things, that could work. If they store 20 HP each and activate on death, that's cool too. This is mostly a reminder that immersion often trumps balance, if that makes any sense. (I'm not even sure if it makes sense to me. ) lol
Interesting. I have always been developing this mod in the mindset of "why would this player use X mod item in place of Y vanilla item?" and I balance it accordingly. I try to make all of my stuff better than vanilla stuff in some way, while avoiding potential over-powered-ness, which is kind of a balancing struggle. But I think I can pull it off if I'm careful.

And I think I understand what you're saying, for the most part. Sometimes you want to feel like a galactic bounty hunter capable of obliterating everything, regardless of whether it's OP or not, which is understandable. And I may make that possible, but as a late game thing. I have to make sure the difficulty feels comfortable.

An accessory would be pretty good though the one downside to so many accessory items is you only have a limited number of slots. Though in this case its about 3 with combinations to ease that. I also do agree making it close to vanilla is nice though not -entirely- necessary assuming your mod has a lot to balance around itself. Calamity is a good example of this and how they got around the issue. Though I have no idea how many bosses you're aiming to put in here and just how many upgrades/weapons you're pooling from in order to do so.

If you were, for instance, adding in every boss possible (without repeating them) then I think it might be fine to balance your own mod around its content since its sure to have lots of boss fights that would need to be tailored for progression. That's not even counting if you add any enemies to the list. Just my two cents on the matter.

i cant download the mod it gives me 404 error :(
Does anybody still have the tapi version of this mod.I noticed that the tapi download link was removed if you have the mod please send a downlload link.
Certainly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4f9whxzaxxd33q/Metroid Mod 2_0 Beta.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytqcqvg26nx6zxx/Metroid Mod 2_0 Beta Source.zip?dl=0

The links on the first post have been down ever since dropbox updated some years back. I'm unable to edit the first post for some reason, though.
Keep in mind that this is the tAPI version, as the tModLoader version hasn't been released yet.

Is it possible to add tiles that are like the ones in SM and Fusion where you need to use a certain weapon or ability to break, like a missile or screw attack, so they could spawn in a mini-dungeon as a sort of lock for an item, or be for personal use? Or is it impossible?

Sorry for my ignorance and bad grammar; I suck at asking questions.

Is it possible to add tiles that are like the ones in SM and Fusion where you need to use a certain weapon or ability to break, like a missile or screw attack, so they could spawn in a mini-dungeon as a sort of lock for an item, or be for personal use? Or is it impossible?

Sorry for my ignorance and bad grammar; I suck at asking questions.
Definitely possible. With the right amount of programming, anything is possible.

Will we do it? That's the real question. The team and I have been throwing ideas around. We tentatively have specially-destroyable blocks planned, but they aren't priority.

Definitely possible. With the right amount of programming, anything is possible.

Will we do it? That's the real question. The team and I have been throwing ideas around. We tentatively have specially-destroyable blocks planned, but they aren't priority.

All right, thanks for the reply and keep up the good work.

what about doors?

Attachments

• door.png
    door.png
    445 bytes · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom