tModLoader Custom Player Sprites Mod

I avoid placing my mods on the mod browser, because updating them is annoying.
Also, the mod is called CPSMod in the mod list, If it still doesn't show, means that tmodloader changed something and
I'll need to port it to the newest version. Aswell as means my modloader is not on the latest version :/

This mod's awesome. I'm revisiting Terraria, and taking a break from Starbound 'cause either it's just slower for some reason (that game really needs optimizing), or my computer's degrading over time, but whatever the case, I wanted to stick to being my slimy self. With this mod's fortunate existence, and digging into the game files to see what's what, I fixed myself up a skin based off the "Slime Race Mod" I put together with a friend.
LZprJHN.png

It feels like it could be a bit better (maybe I'll refine it over time), but I'm myself, and that's the main thing. With gear and dye, I can improve the feel of things, like using a slime hook with purple ooze dye.

...If I weren't still feeling burnt out, I'd want to make a set of files for other people, so they can choose to be a slime, and their hair n' everything would get replaced with slimy transparent equivalents.

Last edited:
This mod's awesome. I'm revisiting Terraria, and taking a break from Starbound 'cause either it's just slower for some reason (that game really needs optimizing), or my computer's degrading over time, but whatever the case, I wanted to stick to being my slimy self. With this mod's fortunate existence, and digging into the game files to see what's what, I fixed myself up a skin based off the "Slime Race Mod" I put together with a friend.
LZprJHN.png

It feels like it could be a bit better (maybe I'll refine it over time), but I'm myself, and that's the main thing. With gear and dye, I can improve the feel of things, like using a slime hook with purple ooze dye.

...If I weren't still feeling burnt out, I'd want to make a set of files for other people, so they can choose to be a slime, and their hair n' everything would get replaced with slimy transparent equivalents.
Your pc is fine, Starbound sucks anyway.

Anyway, It looks ok, but I'm at least the foot in the back has a few extra pixels compared to normal Terraria pants sprite, but since that's a custom race, who cares about that? The only thing that might create a problem when the player uses legging gear. It's a good idea actually to see if there isn't skin sprite showing outside the armors on places that shouldn't.

This particular one's a personal sprite in any case. I'd like to add to the feet a bit more actually, like how in some art, slime characters appear to be standing in a puddle of themselves.

I have experienced one issue with this mod though, though it might be Thorium's fault, or maybe it's my use of 25% transparent sprites, or... who knows. I found up an acorn that goes in the mount slot, which lets one transform into a squirrel (kinda neat, actually makes you 1 block high), but upon deactivating it afterward, I was invisible. I tried using the mirror to deactivate my skin, and also re-select it, in case that had anything to do with things, but nothing changed.

This round was a new one, so I didn't lose much by recreating myself (which may or may not have been needed), but I never did test to see whether or not restarting Terraria completely would make me visible again.

Look's like a mod conflict, but I'm not sure how that triggers, once removing the acorn the character should be visible again, also, I remember that I played around with Thorium too, includding those transformation items, but I didn't notice any weird behavior, beside I don't even remember if were using a custom skin when I were playing around with it's items.

This mod seems to have a problem with long hairstyles.

I disabled all mods, restarted Terraria, made a new character, and hairstyle 55 (or is it 56? The file's Player_Hair_56 but 55 on Terrasavr) looked perfectly fine, full length, but when I re-enabled just the CPSMod, it was chopped short, as though I was wearing wings, but I definitely wasn't.

The only way to keep my long hair for now seems to be having it as part of the head sprite. Also, I'll test enabling other mods on their own, too.

Confirmed, it's definitely this one that's the culprit. I'm messing with CPSMod, RPG Classes, ExperienceAndClasses, Calamity, Thorium, Spirit, and Tremor after talking to a friend who I might get into playing with again, and only CPSMod is chopping the hair. Tested with a new world and character, one mod at a time, each on their own.

Could it be because of the tail option existing? Is it perhaps based on wings?

Last edited:
This mod seems to have a problem with long hairstyles.

I disabled all mods, restarted Terraria, made a new character, and hairstyle 55 (or is it 56? The file's Player_Hair_56 but 55 on Terrasavr) looked perfectly fine, full length, but when I re-enabled just the CPSMod, it was chopped short, as though I was wearing wings, but I definitely wasn't.

The only way to keep my long hair for now seems to be having it as part of the head sprite. Also, I'll test enabling other mods on their own, too.

Confirmed, it's definitely this one that's the culprit. I'm messing with CPSMod, RPG Classes, ExperienceAndClasses, Calamity, Thorium, Spirit, and Tremor after talking to a friend who I might get into playing with again, and only CPSMod is chopping the hair. Tested with a new world and character, one mod at a time, each on their own.

Could it be because of the tail option existing? Is it perhaps based on wings?
Or perhaps Terraria changed how hairs are displayed since the first version of CPS codes, since this is actually a port, so there may be a few codes bugged.
Or maybe I messed up with the code of the hair when doing the sprite, even more since I didn't had a full skin file to test it deeper.

Well! I got into playing with some old friends of mine.

While the CPSMod isn't causing them any issues (though there's a blinking pixel on a friend's pants but whatever), they can't see my alternate skin. I made sure to give them all copies, though, and noted a few times where to put the folders.

Well! I got into playing with some old friends of mine.

While the CPSMod isn't causing them any issues (though there's a blinking pixel on a friend's pants but whatever), they can't see my alternate skin. I made sure to give them all copies, though, and noted a few times where to put the folders.
I didn't worked on skin data sync If I remember well. And the blinking pixel issue is known, but I've got no idea of what may be causing it.

I actually originally wanted to use this mod with the hopes I could stick to my preferred appearance when playing with friends. Me being the only one who can see my actual form is kinda sad, but in any case...

...it looks like there's an issue regarding replacing certain female sprites between PLayer_0_0 and Player_9_13. I've put in substitute blank image files with the intent to make a skin resembling a female slimeperson from that Starbound mod I did, but they're not working like the male images. I can still see the original style parts.

I'm having a thought, also.

This mod might not reflect your visual choice to other people playing with you, but thinking about how the mirror "may alter your reality"... what about another option which lets you select skins for other people you're playing with?

If nothing else, do you think it's a possible thing to make into a mod?

Last edited:
I'd preffer to sync the skin options, but the bad is that I'm giving a break of Terraria modding. And most likelly I wont be touching tModLoader for some time.
But I placed the source of it on the mod main thread, beside It is not really recommended for one to directly use my code, but at least may give an idea of how to make a custom skin loader.

Just if someone decides to continue this mod, remember to give me credits for it.

Does it leaves any log? Or shows a window with a lot of codes?
No, the game just freezes and I have to close it down manually. I tried disabling all other mods, but that didn't help.
I was wondering if I did something wrong when setting the mod up. I put CPSMod.tmod into Documents > My Games > Terraria >ModLoader >Mods
and I put the PlayerSkins folder into Documents > My Games > Terraria > ModLoader

Thanks in advance :)

Edit:Nvm got it working! :D Not sure what was wrong with it before.

Last edited:
Could you give some more in-depth instructions on how to make a custom player sprite?
First you need to extract the player sprite files from your Terraria content folder, the content extracting program may be found on this forum, around the mods session, the player sprites are named "Player_x_y", being that the x and y are for any number it may have, move the extracted sprites to a separated folder.
Using those sprites, modify it to make your custom race, do notice that each Player_x_y file is a part of the player body/default outfit.
Player_0_y generally is the player body, Player_1~3 I guess, is the outfits, Player_4~6 is for the female player default outfit, I guess too.

When your skin is ready or you want to test it, move that folder with the files to My Games/Terraria/ModLoader/PlayerSkins and then select it in-game on any character you want.
If your skin shows up, then congratulations, you did it, If doesn't, you did something wrong.

Does anyone know what name the merfolk sprites are under?
The merfork sprites are actually recognized as equipment parts, the head armor id is 39, body armor id is 22 and leg armor id is 21.
And by id I don't mean Item ID, I mean their part id, like, Armor_Body_22 and stuff.
Is there a way you can make the eye move to a different spot when you load up your model or make multiple eyes appear?
You may just draw it on another position, just modify the sprites that are for the eyes. Just do notice that there are two sprites for the eyes, one for the eye with coloring and the other for the eye white part, the eye white part is drawn a pixel (or two, if you are modifying the sprite without resizing it) to the left of the colored eye.

The merfork sprites are actually recognized as equipment parts, the head armor id is 39, body armor id is 22 and leg armor id is 21.
And by id I don't mean Item ID, I mean their part id, like, Armor_Body_22 and stuff.

You may just draw it on another position, just modify the sprites that are for the eyes. Just do notice that there are two sprites for the eyes, one for the eye with coloring and the other for the eye white part, the eye white part is drawn a pixel (or two, if you are modifying the sprite without resizing it) to the left of the colored eye.
Thanks so much for all the help! I promise I have no more questions, lol. :)

Back
Top Bottom