PC Tier List: Late Hardmode Weapons

If Lunar Portal Staff happened to get bumped a teensy bit higher, I wouldn't contest it.

While I'm not too sure on the other weapons (I typically do melee/mage builds, and Tempest Staff carried me through all of hardmode as a summoner), I can agree that Flying Dragon could stand to be bumped down. Its relatively infrequent fire and high projectile speed mean that it typically won't hit anything more than once per pass; you might as well just use the much more accessible Terra Blade in open combat. In enclosed spaces or behind walls, the similarly easy-to-get Death Sickle outshines the Flying Dragon because its lingering hitboxes let you easily trap and juggle enemies to death. The only situation where the Flying Dragon really gets to see use is against enemies trapped in some pocket on the very edge of the screen, and even then it'll take forever to slice them up from a distance; simply walking up and flinging a sickle could do its job in the same amount of time or less.

If Lunar Portal Staff happened to get bumped a teensy bit higher, I wouldn't contest it.

While I'm not too sure on the other weapons (I typically do melee/mage builds, and Tempest Staff carried me through all of hardmode as a summoner), I can agree that Flying Dragon could stand to be bumped down. Its relatively infrequent fire and high projectile speed mean that it typically won't hit anything more than once per pass; you might as well just use the much more accessible Terra Blade in open combat. In enclosed spaces or behind walls, the similarly easy-to-get Death Sickle outshines the Flying Dragon because its lingering hitboxes let you easily trap and juggle enemies to death. The only situation where the Flying Dragon really gets to see use is against enemies trapped in some pocket on the very edge of the screen, and even then it'll take forever to slice them up from a distance; simply walking up and flinging a sickle could do its job in the same amount of time or less.
That brings the Flying Dragon down to A- with my backup.

This got me thinking - should we rework how the movement is done? Currently it's just as follows:
1. One person states that X weapon should be moved up/down (recommended ranking does not matter)
2. Another person agrees
3. Weapon is moved one tier in that direct (ex. A to A-)

This doesn't allow for larger tier jumps, which may or may not be a good thing. Any advice?

It seems like a fine system to me - prevents any particularly wordy individual from completely rearranging the tier list on their own. If a weapon truly belongs in a tier far from its current position, the input of multiple people will take it there eventually (though it'll most likely take some time). Moving two tiers in a single bump at most (A+ to A-, C+ to B, etc) as a rule of thumb may be worth considering.

Also, looking back at your previous post, nudging Xeno Staff to A- seems like a good adjustment to me. Less raw damage than the Tempest Staff (currently also in A-), but both generally don't interfere with your piercing attacks to my knowledge, and the Xeno Staff not only has a higher rate of fire but almost never misses its target; Sharknadoes have a very bad track record when it comes to accuracy at any range but point-blank on moving targets.

I would recommend The Axe to be moved to B+
It is very rare and not really worth farming fore because of that (sometimes more than it's worth to obtain)
It is somewhat slow
It has a very high base damage for its stage of the game

I would recommend The Axe to be moved to B+
It is very rare and not really worth farming fore because of that (sometimes more than it's worth to obtain)
It is somewhat slow
It has a very high base damage for its stage of the game
I'm currently debating whether I should include tools or not. The Axe isn't really a viable weapon compared to some of the other stuff available, and I'm not sure I should count it if it isn't designed for weaponry - judging a fish by its ability to climb a tree, if you will. Anyone have any input?

The horseman's blade can EASILY be semi-automated into the most devastating mechanism in the game.

Mind you, Mappy one-shot Betsy with a really simple arena using critters and teleporting tricks. That has to get it's love despite the harsh work required to get it.

Why is the Sniper Rifle ranked below the Tactical Shotgun? The Sniper Rifle has huge single-target damage, but much worse DPS than the shotgun with Chloro bullets. It's not good against bosses due to low DPS, and it's not good against normal mobs because it can't keep up with them spawning most of the time.

Why is the Sniper Rifle ranked below the Tactical Shotgun? The Sniper Rifle has huge single-target damage, but much worse DPS than the shotgun with Chloro bullets. It's not good against bosses due to low DPS, and it's not good against normal mobs because it can't keep up with them spawning most of the time.
Graystripe hasn’t been active in more than a year, but I’d be glad to discuss the placement of these two weapons on my own thread, linked in my signature. Personally, I think the Tactical Shotgun slightly edges out the Sniper Rifle.

In my own experience I'd say the Tactical Shotgun is superior. Although the Sniper Rifle is fun to use and can absolutely obliterate single enemies, the shotty has better DPS and will generally outperform the rifle in medium- to close-range.

Graystripe hasn’t been active in more than a year, but I’d be glad to discuss the placement of these two weapons on my own thread, linked in my signature. Personally, I think the Tactical Shotgun slightly edges out the Sniper Rifle.

In my own experience I'd say the Tactical Shotgun is superior. Although the Sniper Rifle is fun to use and can absolutely obliterate single enemies, the shotty has better DPS and will generally outperform the rifle in medium- to close-range.

Sorry, I messed up, I meant to ask why the Sniper Rifle (B-) rated above the Tactical Shotgun (C).

Sorry, I messed up, I meant to ask why the Sniper Rifle (B-) rated above the Tactical Shotgun (C).
Actually, that's a valid point. I think I made this when I was far less experienced in both of those weapons, and so I'd definitely see fit to move the shotty up and the rifle down. Anyone opposed?

Also, per @5Daydreams , updated the Horseman's Blade.

Possessed hatchet is easy to get, perfectly accurate and don't have to wait for the hatchets to come back.
It's also good for just about everything that comes after it before the moon lord:the lunatic cultist, duke fishron and the lunar events.
I also imagine it to be good for UFOs if you want to fight them properly, though there are probably better weapons to do that.
Also, why is the stynger so high and the vampire knives so much lower than where it should be(A+ at least)

Possessed hatchet is easy to get, perfectly accurate and don't have to wait for the hatchets to come back.
It's also good for just about everything that comes after it before the moon lord:the lunatic cultist, duke fishron and the lunar events.
I also imagine it to be good for UFOs if you want to fight them properly, though there are probably better weapons to do that.
Also, why is the stynger so high and the vampire knives so much lower than where it should be(A+ at least)
Possessed Hatchet is good for bossing, I'll agree on that, but it's pretty lackluster against multiple targets. That's why it's in B+. Vampire Knives lack DPS; Stynger is phenomenal for both its AoE and solo-target DPS. Regardless, I'll mark them for contention.

I'd have to agree with @652Graystripe here, the hatchet indeed is a rather poor AoE weapon, but it's accuracy is top-notch against single target, it's one of the three main weapons (along side Eye of Cthulhu and maybe Terra Blade) that I would suggest using on the Lunatic Cultist due to how mobile that fight is.

But try using that hatchet on, say, a Pumpkin Moon, and you'll quickly find that it isn't doing very good whatsoever. It's lack of good AoE is a rather large flaw and why I'd say B+ is appropriate. It's too niche to get an A. A weapons should be useful all-around with very few, if any weaknesses.

lack of DPS isn't really a problem if you absolutely can't die(vamp knives)

I'd have to agree with @652Graystripe here, the hatchet indeed is a rather poor AoE weapon, but it's accuracy is top-notch against single target, it's one of the three main weapons (along side Eye of Cthulhu and maybe Terra Blade) that I would suggest using on the Lunatic Cultist due to how mobile that fight is.

But try using that hatchet on, say, a Pumpkin Moon, and you'll quickly find that it isn't doing very good whatsoever. It's lack of good AoE is a rather large flaw and why I'd say B+ is appropriate. It's too niche to get an A. A weapons should be useful all-around with very few, if any weaknesses.
it's actually pretty good against the pillars, simply because nothing lines up properly in that event and flying enemies are extremely common.
though i guess the influx waver is better at that sort of thing.

lack of DPS isn't really a problem if you absolutely can't die(vamp knives)

Eh, I beg to differ on that.

If you don't do enough DPS, it's easily possible to get overwhelmed when enemies continue to come in waves. The Vamp Knives alone don't make you invincible, but they can help you recover from mistakes when you're on Potion Cooldown or provide extra padding.

it's actually pretty good against the pillars, simply because nothing lines up properly in that event and flying enemies are extremely common.
though i guess the influx waver is better at that sort of thing.

I find that the Terra Blade works nice because of how it pierces straight-line through like 2 enemies. You just fire that thing in the general direction of the pillar and you'll be killing anything between you and it.

That is, until you get the Solar Eruption, then... who needs anything else?

Eh, I beg to differ on that.

If you don't do enough DPS, it's easily possible to get overwhelmed when enemies continue to come in waves. The Vamp Knives alone don't make you invincible, but they can help you recover from mistakes when you're on Potion Cooldown or provide extra padding.

well, technically you can heal fast enough to out-heal some enemies that deals less than 100 damage per hit with a ichor flask, a cross necklace and some good boosting gear, but i guess expert is another matter.

The Razorblade Typhoon should be in a+ do to its low mana cost, good dps, and tracking ability.
Moved it accordingly.

everyone and their mother said:
something about the vampire knives
I fully agree, the Vampire Knives are a really big asset to have in any situation. However, they're also lousy damage-dealers and have certain limitations that other weapons don't. It's really hard for me to singlehandedly put them anywhere, so if we can reach a consensus here I'll move them appropriately.

I still don’t see what the Stinger is good for other than pumpkin/frost moon’s waves without killing minibosses and maybe solar pillar, where everything stays on the ground.
But there are better opinion, and you said something about A weapons being well-rounded, and a weapon is not well rounded if it can’t handle a single boss other than the destroyer or maybe golem, not even SK prime.

Back
Top Bottom