Terraria: State of the Game (11/8/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone else has ever asked or if this is some kind of taboo, but will we ever see mod support on the platforms or will that stay a computer only technically bad thing? I'm not really sure where the development team stands on whether mods are good or bad, but I know a lot of PC players enjoy using mods like Calamity and Thorium and I was just wondering if the consoles will ever get a chance to have things like that, even if it isn't in the near future. EDIT: Just searched and read rules about it, and I now know that us as community members can't do it, but I'm wondering if it would be different if people developing the game are for it. Just asking because I was wondering, and now reading those rules, I also am wondering if the developmental viewpoint on mods has changed.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone else has ever asked or if this is some kind of taboo, but will we ever see mod support on the platforms or will that stay a computer only technically bad thing? I'm not really sure where the development team stands on whether mods are good or bad, but I know a lot of PC players enjoy using mods like Calamity and Thorium and I was just wondering if the consoles will ever get a chance to have things like that, even if it isn't in the near future. EDIT: Just searched and read rules about it, and I now know that us as community members can't do it, but I'm wondering if it would be different if people developing the game are for it. Just asking because I was wondering, and now reading those rules, I also am wondering if the developmental viewpoint on mods has changed.
That's up to the console manufacturers themselves (Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo). Their EULAs forbid any modification of the hardware/software of their systems, including third-party games like Terraria. Until/unless they change that policy, what the Terraria devs view on it is largely irrelevant.

The console manufacturers stance on modding is slowly changing. There are still technical hurdles such as ReLogic would have to host the mods themselves and verify the mods can't do anything to hurt your console. Since there's not even official support for mods on the PC I don't see all this getting worked out anytime soon.

That's up to the console manufacturers themselves (Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo). Their EULAs forbid any modification of the hardware/software of their systems, including third-party games like Terraria. Until/unless they change that policy, what the Terraria devs view on it is largely irrelevant.
I assume it's because Bethesda are a much larger company and so have more sway, but Skyrim Special Edition has mods on console, wouldn't the same rules apply to Terraria?

I'm not saying it can't happen, or won't happen someday. Just that Re-Logic has very little influence on making it happen, and it's unlikely to happen soon.

Skyrim is a single, isolated example, and Bethesda is a massive company with multiple AAA games. (They pretty much nope'd out of supporting Skyrim mods for the Switch, fwiw.) How many other AAA games have legal mods on consoles? Minecraft?, Fallout 4 (Bethesda again) that I can find. If it was that easy and console manufacturers really wanted to support it, why aren't there more? Can just anyone make a mod for Skyrim on console and make it available, like they can on PC? I don't think console manufacturers will allow anything on their systems without signing a lot of legal documents that are surely not to the benefit of the mod creators.

Same reasoning applies to cross-platform play. "Minecraft has crossplay, why not Terraria?" Because Microsoft owns the game, the XBox console, and the PC OS that the vast majority of PC gamers use. They made their own special rules for their own title, and they have virtually unlimited resources to make it happen. Re-Logic has maybe 10 employees who work mostly out of their basements.

I personally agree that it would be great for every Terrarian to be able to experience mods and to play with all of their friends, regardless of their chosen platform. But realistically, there are a lot of barriers to that happening that are beyond Re-Logic's control, and those barriers will likely be there for some time to come.

Re-Logic owns this forum, and the rules regarding console modding/discussion are necessary to comply with the policies set forth by the console manufacturers, whose partnership and cooperation are required to have a console version at all. They are not an arbitrary viewpoint or opinion on modding by anyone at Re-Logic, as far as I know.

It's definitely can. There should be NO reason for it to lag. You are clearly underestimating the power of the Nintendo Switch.
The Nintendo Switch is still weaker than the Xbox One and Playstation 4 in terms of power. How it would hold up to future updates is something we can't quite determine as of now, only when Terraria on PC advances we will tell if the Switch can continue to sustain the updates.

Yeah, you guys should see how the Switch runs Fortnite. It's not bad, but I feel like the console will blow at any minute I'm playing. The air vent will never shut up.

honestly, i would be putting more work on mobile because xbox&pc have enough for now and switch will probably not hold newer updates or maybe even 1.3.(this is just a guess. dont rage) And us mobile users have been waiting many years for this.

The game came out on PC and is intended for PC. It's for us.

As you all know 1.3.6 is heavily in development for PC. We have added many new features and mechanics, hired several part time programmers from the mod community, and significantly added to the soundtrack of the game!We are very excited to announce the most recent edition to Terraria; Blood Moon Fishing! During Blood Moons you will now be able to fish up disgusting new monsters for a chance at new loot related to the Blood Moon!

Thats awesome, it really is... but i have an issue that i feel should be addresse (sorry if this is the wrong place for this i just couldn't figue out have to make a thread). So in my house a npc loves to stand in frount of my bed, making me unset my spawn point,l. I think that if you could make npcs not want to go near beds that would be great. thanks

Thats awesome, it really is... but i have an issue that i feel should be addresse (sorry if this is the wrong place for this i just couldn't figue out have to make a thread). So in my house a npc loves to stand in frount of my bed, making me unset my spawn point,l. I think that if you could make npcs not want to go near beds that would be great. thanks

First off, I feel you should make some way of quoting the first half, since that was in the OP. Just saying, there's a quote button and even then, there's quote marks. " "

Secondly, assuming you are talking about PC or New-Console, there is a Housing Menu for you to choose who lives where, but it must be a suitable home. Refer to [link=[URL]https://terraria.wiki.gg/House]this[/link][/URL] for what house requires, or the in-game Housing Query, marked by a ? In the Housing Menu.

A house consists of a Light Source, Flat Surface, and a Comfort Item, and a Bed counts as a Comfort Item. You can make a Player House unsuitable for an NPC by not using a Flat Surface Item, or Lighting Items (for light, I would then reccomend placing torches just outside the actual house part, say, on another floor, that the room does not count within it.

Greetings, Terrarians!

We hope that you’re enjoying the latest patch for Xbox One & PlayStation 4. As promised, we want to provide you with a quick monthly status update on all platforms.

PS4 & Xbox One
View attachment 212778

As alluded to in the previous state of the game post there’s some technical housekeeping that Pipeworks are in the process of completing. This includes a Unity Engine update and some platform-specific PlayStation/Xbox Development Kit software updates. These perhaps aren’t as interesting as prior updates, but they do provide much-needed under-the-hood work that will remove development bottlenecks to keep things running smoothly moving forward.

Along with that, we’ve been monitoring bugs and issues coming in from the wild. Those have been collected and we’re in the process of prioritizing them with our partners at 505 Games. Once we have additional information on which issues will be addressed we’ll let you know. Just know that your reports and feedback is being reviewed. We want you to know that loud and clear! Keep it coming.

As you saw from @Cenx's twitter picture just a week or so ago (https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/1054807176869527554), Switch is real and Redigit has had it in his hands! It’s been a really great month production wise – and we’ve had great fun reviewing the milestone with touch functionality integrated.

The next production milestone is going to be focused on Re-Logic feedback on the UI and the implementation of features we have requested.

We think the build looks and feels great. Terraria really feels at home on Switch and we are starting to see the benefits emerge from having a unified codebase. There’s still a lot of work left to do, but the team is happy where things are at right now – still looking good for that 2019 launch.

Just as with Switch, seeing is believing on this, so that’s what we are working towards. More news on this soon.

As you all know 1.3.6 is heavily in development for PC. We have added many new features and mechanics, hired several part time programmers from the mod community, and significantly added to the soundtrack of the game!We are very excited to announce the most recent edition to Terraria; Blood Moon Fishing! During Blood Moons you will now be able to fish up disgusting new monsters for a chance at new loot related to the Blood Moon! Below you will see a new work-in-progress enemy you can expect to see.

CAN'T WAIT! Imagine if you finish mobile and Switch early and release it on Christmas Day! Now THAT is a present I would ove to wake up to. But of course, ANY date is as good as any when my fave game is updating on my device

Considering Terraria already lags and has instability on the PS4, I'm a bit worried about the switch really.
That may also only be optimization problem.
Seriously, before I got this new computer, I played on a old, VERY, old computer that is, as you guess it, wayyyyy worse than what the Switch have... And I was still playing Terraria 1.3 without any single problem...
The only problem I've started seing : At the end of the game, where there is many many thing in the world (Compared to the start), then it's start lagging. But not too much to say it is unplayable. Yes, annoying, but playable and being playable is the most important here. No matter how hard it's lag, if it is not playable, then there's no point at all.

Seriously, before I got this new computer, I played on a old, VERY, old computer that is, as you guess it, wayyyyy worse than what the Switch have... And I was still playing Terraria 1.3 without any single problem...
The only problem I've started seing : At the end of the game, where there is many many thing in the world (Compared to the start), then it's start lagging. But not too much to say it is unplayable. Yes, annoying, but playable and being playable is the most important here. No matter how hard it's lag, if it is not playable, then there's no point at all.
Yeah, I played all through 1.3.0.1 with terrible lag, on a fairly old laptop, It's possible.

Yeah, I played all through 1.3.0.1 with terrible lag, on a fairly old laptop, It's possible.

Well playable is a subjective definition. When I'm playing split screen with my son and the entire game freezes for a second randomly, I consider that unplayable. I could just move on and not be bothered by it, but I don't want to. It never happens on the PC version.

Well playable is a subjective definition. When I'm playing split screen with my son and the entire game freezes for a second randomly, I consider that unplayable. I could just move on and not be bothered by it, but I don't want to. It never happens on the PC version.
Never ?
Right now, I have a very powerful computer that handle the job... But it not without saying that SOMETIME there is this type of freeze. It's bound to happen that sometime I have. And if the game freeze randomly like that for a second, then it is in fact playable. Because you can play, but sometime you will have these lag.

And in fact, for what you just said, you aren't the type of guy that should be part of this conv, saying that only with that is enough to really bother you. The person that only goes on with the FPS and no possible lag shouldn't talk in this conv, because then, it's always gonna be a one-way conv with only you being the right, since there is, at our time, no possible way that console get to PC level. I'm the type of guy that don't care about lag. I just want to play and have fun, because that the most important.

Never ?
Right now, I have a very powerful computer that handle the job... But it not without saying that SOMETIME there is this type of freeze. It's bound to happen that sometime I have. And if the game freeze randomly like that for a second, then it is in fact playable. Because you can play, but sometime you will have these lag.

And in fact, for what you just said, you aren't the type of guy that should be part of this conv, saying that only with that is enough to really bother you. The person that only goes on with the FPS and no possible lag shouldn't talk in this conv, because then, it's always gonna be a one-way conv with only you being the right, since there is, at our time, no possible way that console get to PC level. I'm the type of guy that don't care about lag. I just want to play and have fun, because that the most important.

That's a rather exclusionist viewpoint. I'm not happy with the game currently so I should just be quiet?

There are many people that are very happy with Terraria on console right now. To say that it can not be improved or that it will never get to the same level as the PC is nonsense though. My PC is about 10-ish years old and less powerful than the PS4 pro and 720p TV I'm playing on with my son. If they can optimize the game for my potato computer with a crew of about 5 people, then I expect a crew of 30ish people to get at least to that level of competence. Especially when they only have about 5 discrete home console specs to worry about targeting compared to the almost infinite configurations of a home PC.

If the PC version can play without the game completely locking up periodically then so can the consoles. I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't run all that smoothly on your PC, but your experience is not normal. To say that we should be happy with what we have and not expect better is just silly though.

That's a rather exclusionist viewpoint. I'm not happy with the game currently so I should just be quiet?

There are many people that are very happy with Terraria on console right now. To say that it can not be improved or that it will never get to the same level as the PC is nonsense though. My PC is about 10-ish years old and less powerful than the PS4 pro and 720p TV I'm playing on with my son. If they can optimize the game for my potato computer with a crew of about 5 people, then I expect a crew of 30ish people to get at least to that level of competence. Especially when they only have about 5 discrete home console specs to worry about targeting compared to the almost infinite configurations of a home PC.

If the PC version can play without the game completely locking up periodically then so can the consoles. I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't run all that smoothly on your PC, but your experience is not normal. To say that we should be happy with what we have and not expect better is just silly though.

Coding on PC is very, very different than coding on console. Not only that, but the optimization to. So it's not because there's more people that it's should work more perfectly, no. In fact, is it even the exact opposite. In coding, you always want to have coordination so all thing work properly. The more people you have, the more chance it's will less be good. Their competence and their teamwork also matter. What they use also matter. But here, I'm only talking about the team, not the game / software / hardware itself which also have a big impact. There is so many parameter to take in that it is impossible to predict what is normal or not.

Also, yes me experience is normal. There will always, ALWAYS be at some point a little lag like this. It is impossible to not have it. It is bound to happen.

I'm gonna stop now, because we are derivating too much out of subject and it is becoming what should not be there, and as I know, it is not allowed.
Have a nice day everybody !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom