Sprites (Early) Small Suggestion Saturday: Laser Pointers!

Laser Pointer?

• Yeeees

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Maaaaayyyyybeeeeeeee

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Improve a ting: ________

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nnnnnnoooooooooooo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Huzbubber Tim

Ice Queen
(Note: You may not use my suggestion in any mods, as I am currently in the process of making a mod of my own that is implementing most of my suggestions. Thank you for understanding!)
(Note: This is early because I'm busy tomorrow and I was excited to share this idea.)

So, have you ever been playing on a server and want to point something out to someone but can't? Or have you just wanted to point something at random things? To solve this, I introduce to you The Laser Pointer!

Laser Pointer.png

The laser pointer is crafted with 5 iron bars and a lens at an anvil. When you use it, it will create a red dot
PointLaserRed.png
at the cursor. The dot can be seen by other players, it can pass through tiles, and it can be seen in dark areas, although it doesn't emit any light. In multiplayer, every player has a different color laser, like how the portal gun works. (Example:
PointLaserBlue.png
PointLaserGreen.png
PointLaserYellow.png
) This new tool could be useful when building with other people, pointing out treasure to others, and pretty much just whenever you need to specify something to someone on a server or to yourself!

Thanks for reading my suggestion! Let me know what you think in the comments!

Last edited:
This is actually a really, really cool idea. Never really thought about this.

Although, I feel like utilities like this are never crafted. It's bad design, but it's design that's kinda been consistent across the entire game for a while. Travelling Merchant would be the most likely thing the devs would do (because everyone just loves him), but I'd suggest it be sold by the Mechanic or, even better, the Goblin Tinkerer, because while he's super useful you kinda only ever buy 2 things from him and then give him all your money in... other ways.

My idea for this:

Laser Pointer
index.php

Type: Tool
Tooltip: Make a laser dot in the cursor
Rarity:
$

Sell: 20
$

And i think is a good idea make a hotkey for use the tool

Last edited:
This is actually a really, really cool idea. Never really thought about this.

Although, I feel like utilities like this are never crafted. It's bad design, but it's design that's kinda been consistent across the entire game for a while. Travelling Merchant would be the most likely thing the devs would do (because everyone just loves him), but I'd suggest it be sold by the Mechanic or, even better, the Goblin Tinkerer, because while he's super useful you kinda only ever buy 2 things from him and then give him all your money in... other ways.
I was considering making it be bought, but I didn't really want to bar players from making early in the game, as it can be very helpful in multiplayer. Good thought though!

Last edited:
You're right, this item don't need to be Multiplayer only. But i think Large gems can be useful in adventure maps, even in Singleplayer.

You can use the mouse pointer too.
Totally, just saying that making items multiplayer-exclusive has never been Terraria's thing. (They were also useless in SP before Gem Locks were added anyway)

Also, the mouse pointer is really useless for that purpose, but we have the Ruler (another Goblin Tinkerer item! :p) for that purpose, so.

Totally, just saying that making items multiplayer-exclusive has never been Terraria's thing. (They were also useless in SP before Gem Locks were added anyway)

Also, the mouse pointer is really useless for that purpose, but we have the Ruler (another Goblin Tinkerer item! :p) for that purpose, so.
You are right, but, when you haven't a Ruler?

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback guys! Didn't think this would be as popular as it is!

I was considering making it be bought, but I didn't really want to bar players from making early in the game, as it can be very helpful in multiplayer. Good thought though!
It could be bought from the Merchant, as his only role past the early game seems to be to be a disposable NPC you can refurbish an underground building for if you have to get rid of useless, but good-selling items. And he's hardly the best one at that.

(Note: You may not use my suggestion in any mods, as I am currently in the process of making a mod of my own that is implementing most of my suggestions. Thank you for understanding!)
(Note: This is early because I'm busy tomorrow and I was excited to share this idea.)

So, have you ever been playing on a server and want to point something out to someone but can't? Or have you just wanted to point something at random things? To solve this, I introduce to you The Laser Pointer!

View attachment 391333

The laser pointer is crafted with 5 iron bars and a lens at an anvil. When you use it, it will create a red dot View attachment 391337 at the cursor. The dot can be seen by other players, it can pass through tiles, and it can be seen in dark areas, although it doesn't emit any light. In multiplayer, every player has a different color laser, like how the portal gun works. (Example: View attachment 391334 View attachment 391335 View attachment 391336) This new tool could be useful when building with other people, pointing out treasure to others, and pretty much just whenever you need to specify something to someone on a server or to yourself!

Thanks for reading my suggestion! Let me know what you think in the comments!
So like an upgraded flare gun but doesn't deal damage
Flare guns are utilities that are also useful for making distress signals

Back
Top Bottom