tModLoader Reduced Grinding

It looks like there aren't configurations for either the Compass or Depth Meter, could you add those, too?
Sorry for the late response, I had a busy week. I thought I already add those to the configuraiton, woops. I updated just now and added them.

The new configuration file is "Reduced Grinding v4.31".

Nice mod, just trying to figure out how I can configure the settings like it says in the description??? Do I need to copy the config code in the original post or is it in the files of the mod?? : Nvm just found it lol thanks anyway

I updated my mod to 4.32, these are the changes:
  • Sky Crates now have a 25% chance of dropping Sky Mill.
  • Made an Angler_Potion.png Angler Potion: Causes the angler to have a new quest for you right away.
  • Reduced war potion cost from 7 to 5 powders (which is 1 mushroom).
Configuration file renamed to Reduced Grinding v4.32.json to regenerate it with the updated configurations.

I updated my mod to 4.33.1, these are the changes:
  • Redirected the following mod-added crate drops from Wooden/Iron/Gold to Jungle: Living Loom, Leaf Wand, Living Wood Wand
  • Bug Fix: Crate Flipper configuration added Water Walking Boots
  • Added increased Aglet, Radar, and Climbing Claw drops to Wooden Crates
  • Added increased Anklet of the Wind, Feral Claws, and Staff of Regrowth
  • Renamed and Reordered some Crate Configurations
  • Made the Loot Multiplier for Wood, Iron, and Gold crates, a configuration
Configuration file renamed to Reduced Grinding v4.33.json to regenerate it with the updated configurations.

The Paintball Gun is so hard to get ;-;
Geez, you have to kill and respawn him about 10 times, that is annoying. I updated my mod to 4.34, these are the changes:
  • Added configuration chances for NPC drops (with default configuration, that chance of dropping an extra is 100% minus the chance of the vanilla drop, (so it will drop almost every time)). The Guide's drop will happen no matter what name he has.

Suggestions:
• Add recipies to melt down bars into ingots with a loss of 1 ore. Could be at a new crafting station, late pre-hardmode to mid hardmode.
• A config to reduce the cooldown on the Celestial Sigil (default 30 seconds, maybe?)
• Remove restricions on Rainbow Slime block spawns as well as up their spawn rate. I love dem Rainbow Bricks! Alternatively, add a crafting recipie (Sky Mill, 5 of all types of pre-moon lord bricks makes 50/100 rainbow bricks)
• Up truffle worm spawn rates //increase fleeing delay
• Up Clothier Voodoo Doll drop rate (If already done, I haven't noticed as I don't regularly go dungeon raiding. Am planning to once I beat Plantera, however.)
• Up drops/Add a recipie for the Power Cell. (Once again, I have no idea if this has been implemented as I suck at terraria and fail at plantera constantly.)
• New statues for all of the critters with gold forms. Have them spawn non-catchable gold variants. Recipe could be 5 gold variants + original statue
• Add recipies for world-based crafting stations (Extractinator, Themed Furniture Crafters, etc.)
• Add a Lunatic Cultist summon that doesnt summon the Lunar Pillars. Useful for masks, trophies and modded drops.
• Etherian Mana Vault. Stores Etherian Mana, can only be opened during the Old One's Army Event. Sold by Tavernkeep for 25 Defender Medals after tier 2 has been completed.
• Blank Trophy. Equipable. Records the next boss kill onto the trophy. Unequips upon recording. Crafted at the Ancient Manipulator from Item Frame and 3 of each fragment. Expert.
• Anamorphic Mask. Equipable. Same as Blank Trophy, but with 200 Gel instead of an item frame. Expert.
• Treasure Bag Awakener. Guarentees a lootbag drop for every player online that stayed within a vicinity of the boss for at least 60 seconds. Crafted at Ancient Manipulator from 200 Luminite Bars, 50 of each fragment, and a Moon Lord treasure bag. Expert. This is a WORLD UPGRADE, like the Demon Trophy from Calamity.
• Soulless Banner. Crafted at loom from 4 monster banners. Expert. Two uses: 1. Increase in nearby mob spawns (Stacks with Water Candle, Battle Potion, etc). 2. When a non-boss entity is killed with the Soul Stealer Blade and the Blade right clicks the Banner, the monster's soul is transferred into the banner, turing it into a banner of the monster killed.
• Soul Stealer Blade. Crafted using a Magic Mirror/Ice Mirror, 30 Gold/Platinum Bars, and one of the Dungeon's banners. When a monster is killed with this low-damage weapon, its soul becomes trapped in the mirror on the crossguard. However, only one soul can be kept at a time. When you kill a monster with a soul still inside, the original soul is destroyed to make room for the new one.

I understand that most likely, none of the items towards the end will make it in, but I had fun coming up with semi-balanced ideas for reduced grinding. I will be on this thread periodically giving new ideas and voting on polls. Hopefully I can help improve this mod even further with my ideS.

Suggestions:
• Add recipies to melt down bars into ingots with a loss of 1 ore. Could be at a new crafting station, late pre-hardmode to mid hardmode.
• A config to reduce the cooldown on the Celestial Sigil (default 30 seconds, maybe?)
• Remove restricions on Rainbow Slime block spawns as well as up their spawn rate. I love dem Rainbow Bricks! Alternatively, add a crafting recipie (Sky Mill, 5 of all types of pre-moon lord bricks makes 50/100 rainbow bricks)
• Up Clothier Voodoo Doll drop rate (If already done, I haven't noticed as I don't regularly go dungeon raiding. Am planning to once I beat Plantera, however.)
• Up drops/Add a recipie for the Power Cell. (Once again, I have no idea if this has been implemented as I suck at terraria and fail at plantera constantly.)
• New statues for all of the critters with gold forms. Have them spawn non-catchable gold variants. Recipe could be 5 gold variants + original statue
• Add recipies for world-based crafting stations (Extractinator, Themed Furniture Crafters, etc.)
• Add a Lunatic Cultist summon that doesnt summon the Lunar Pillars. Useful for masks, trophies and modded drops.
• Etherian Mana Vault. Stores Etherian Mana, can only be opened during the Old One's Army Event. Sold by Tavernkeep for 25 Defender Medals after tier 2 has been completed.
• Blank Trophy. Equipable. Records the next boss kill onto the trophy. Unequips upon recording. Crafted at the Ancient Manipulator from Item Frame and 3 of each fragment. Expert.
• Anamorphic Mask. Equipable. Same as Blank Trophy, but with 200 Gel instead of an item frame. Expert.
• Treasure Bag Awakener. Guarentees a lootbag drop for every player online that stayed within a vicinity of the boss for at least 60 seconds. Crafted at Ancient Manipulator from 200 Luminite Bars, 50 of each fragment, and a Moon Lord treasure bag. Expert. This is a WORLD UPGRADE, like the Demon Trophy from Calamity.
• Soulless Banner. Crafted at loom from 4 monster banners. Expert. Two uses: 1. Increase in nearby mob spawns (Stacks with Water Candle, Battle Potion, etc). 2. When a non-boss entity is killed with the Soul Stealer Blade and the Blade right clicks the Banner, the monster's soul is transferred into the banner, turing it into a banner of the monster killed.
• Soul Stealer Blade. Crafted using a Magic Mirror/Ice Mirror, 30 Gold/Platinum Bars, and one of the Dungeon's banners. When a monster is killed with this low-damage weapon, its soul becomes trapped in the mirror on the crossguard. However, only one soul can be kept at a time. When you kill a monster with a soul still inside, the original soul is destroyed to make room for the new one.

I understand that most likely, none of the items towards the end will make it in, but I had fun coming up with semi-balanced ideas for reduced grinding. I will be on this thread periodically giving new ideas and voting on polls. Hopefully I can help improve this mod even further with my ideS.
These are all interesting ideas. I think my favorite is the Truffle Worm, I always found it a real pain to find them. I'm going to look into these and see what I can do.

Suggestions:

I like the gold statue idea, but if used to spawn the critters could be a little overpowering. Maybe make it a low spawn chance like with the snail statue.

Hey, I just noticed that the merchant sells mining legs and chest armor. I couldn't find an option to turn this off in the config and I was wondering if some other stuff may have changed that's not in the config?

Hey, I just noticed that the merchant sells mining legs and chest armor. I couldn't find an option to turn this off in the config and I was wondering if some other stuff may have changed that's not in the config?
Oops, I meant to have a configuration for that, I fixed it with this update.

I haven't been able to update my mod for a while, but I worked on Truffleworm today. I'm not sure it's possible to set a spawn rate for a vanilla npc. As an alternative, I added a new configurable Truffleworm drop to Duke Fishron that defaults at 50% for both Normal and Expert.

New 4.35 update:
  • Configuration file renamed to Reduced Grinding v4.35.json to regenerate it with the updated configurations.
  • Alphabetized some of the configurations
  • Added missing configuration for Merchant selling Mining Gear
  • Added configuration for Duke Fishron dropping Truffleworm

New 4.36 update:
⦁ configuration file renamed to "Reduced Grinding v4.36" to update the changes
⦁ removed the separate crate type multiplier for loot found in all wooden iron and gold, and separated the individual loot configurations instead
⦁ increased chance of getting Enchanted Sundial from crates
⦁ added configuration for recipes to upgrading crates
⦁ underground snow enemies now drop Ice_Lock_Box.png Ice Lock Box, which drops ice chest loot

question, can you include Lifeforce potions for the shadow lock box? since the locked shadow chests are their only pre-hardmode source it seems strange to not have them in the lock box.

question, can you include Lifeforce potions for the shadow lock box? since the locked shadow chests are their only pre-hardmode source it seems strange to not have them in the lock box.
I'm glad you pointed that out. I've actually have been making a lot of changes lately, and I didn't notice the Shadow Lock Box doesn't contain Lifeforce like it should. I'll add that in.

Whew, I've been working on a lot of changes and I finally finished it. Although one thing I'd still like to do is make Ankh Shield combinations to make it easier to have Ankh Charm materials equipped. Here's the changes:
Terraria Changes:
  • Fixed Ice Lock Box Dropping 0-2 Gold Coins instead of 1-2 Gold Coins
  • New Lock Boxes for the rest of “found-only” items. They drop Chest Items, and sometimes furniture items that would be placed near them.
  • Updated some Sprites.
  • Removed Living Loom, Living Wood Wand, Leaf Wand, Living Mahogany Wand, and Rich Mahogany Leaf Wand from Jungle Crates by default (they’re in Lock Boxes now)
  • Set all added and increased crate drop chances of items that are now found in new lock boxes to 0 by default (except for Flower Boots, Seaweed, and Skymill).
  • Tomb Crawler and Dune Splicer no longer drop Pyramid items. This was apparently bugged because the chance to drop them happens twice. Even though they don't drop the items, they still drop Pyramid Lock Boxes.
  • Bars from previous lock boxes along with new lock boxes now match the current save file.
  • Made messages broadcasted to server when they should be.
  • Enemies have a chance to drop a chest related to the biome they're found in (as along as the chest is found-only). The Chest Salesman is disabled by default.
  • New Stationary Merchant: A Merchant that never leaves. His shop inventory starts with nothing and each item the Traveling Merchant newly stocks, the Stationary Merchant will have a chance to stock it (with default configuration: chance starts low at the start of the world, but grows to 100% at hardmode)
  • War Potion now gives Battle in addition to War buff.
  • New Chaos Potion which gives Chaos Buff, a stronger version of War Buff. It also gives War and Battle Buffs.Expert Configurations removed. Now there is a single normal mode multiplier configuration for items that have two difficulty drop rates.
  • Improved the Extractinator
  • Made it so the configuration file, outputs with category titles to make it more clear.
  • New Celestial Beacon, causes the Moon Lord to appear instantly when summoned.
  • New Atmospheric Barrier, which ends the Lunar Invasion and causes the Cultists to become instantly spawnable (you may need to be away from the Dungeon Entrance for up to 10 seconds before the Cultists can spawn again).
  • New Min/Max configuration for Rainbow Brick drop (I created this because of a request, but I set both configuration to 0 by default, because combining Rain Potion with the new Chaos Potion makes it easy for Rainbow Slime to spawn).
  • Bone Welder added to Dungeon Crate.
  • Some default drop configurations changed.
  • New Fish and Mermaid costume quest reward chance configurations (set to 0 by default).
  • New Mask configurations (set to 10.71% by default).
  • New Trophy configurations (set to 0% by default).
  • Added Biome Matching Banners to lockboxes.
  • New Recipe to make Crawdad, Giant Shelly, and Salamander interchangable (each cost 1 of the other 2 by default).
  • New Blood Moon Medalion which summons the blood moon (dropped by drippler and blood zombies).
  • New Marble Sundial and Granite Moondial, which skips time instantly, doesn’t add to the tax, and removes the current day’s count towards the Enchanted Sundial cooldown.
Bug Fixes:
  • Battle Potion Max Spawn Multiplier doesn't generate with configuration file.
  • Using Steampunker causes message to go off saying world is corrupt/crimson (this was done during testing, accidentally left in).
  • Increased default Clothier Doll drop increase configuration.
  • Shadow Lockbox Loot was incomplete and some of the items had a max drop higher than it was supposed to be.
  • Some items weren't working in Multiplayer
  • Time Potion could be used to exploit the Tax Collector (the Potion is now replaced by the new Sundial items).
  • Improved the way Pirate Loot works.
  • Nerfed some default drops rates, due to the fact there are now lock boxes and a chaos potion to make item collecting easier.
  • Sand Poacher dropping Fast Clock.
  • Soul of Light and Night drop configuration was causing them to be dropped in dirt layer instead of cavern layer.
EDIT: I just updated it again after realizing that Golem's Picksaw drop chance is 1/8. The Picksaw is too important to be that low; it's the only pickaxe that can mine Lihzahrd Blocks until you beat Moonlord (and this mod uses Lihzahrd Blocks for Chlorophyte Accelerator). I added a default configuration that raises it to 1/2.

Last edited:
Okay, I went with a different approach with this update. Instead of making Ankh Charm material more merge-able, I made it so it gets easier to find any missing pieces once you've gotten most of them:
  • bug fix: death sickle configuration causes Reaper to drop Adhesive Bandage.
  • New configuration that increases Ankh Charm material drop rate for each Ankh Charm material in inventory (default causes drop rate to raise up to about a 1/25 chance when all but 1 material is in inventory. combined Ankh Charm material counts as 2).

Is the drop rate for the Bloody Machete (halloween weapon) increased?
I did, but I had no idea that the chance to drop it becomes very low during Hardmode on Expert. I fixed it with this update:
Changes:
  • Removed UsingLuiafk configuration, the mod will now detect this automatically (this is used to prevent putting new items into the Dryad and Steampunker's shop that Luiafk already puts in).
  • Added Bladed Gloves to Bloody Machete configuration (they have the same drop mechanics).
  • Added a configuration (set to true by default) that makes it so Bladed Gloves and Bloody Machete drops aren't limited by an NPC's defense or damage (this means during Expert Hardmode, the chance to drop these items wont massively decrease, but enemies still need to have a money drop of 5 Silver or lower).

Back
Top Bottom