tModLoader Various Weathers

UI.PNG

Huge thanks to @Kachow and @Boffin for some wonderful, indispensable help! We've got some cool stuff planned for the next update ;)

When the new Terraria update comes out, are you going to utilize the swaying tree's? Maybe give it an effect of breaking it and completely destroying it through a wind storm or a thunderstorm?

Also Hurricanes and Tornado's sound interesting.

When the new Terraria update comes out, are you going to utilize the swaying tree's? Maybe give it an effect of breaking it and completely destroying it through a wind storm or a thunderstorm?

Also Hurricanes and Tornado's sound interesting.
If the swaying trees have anything to do with wind speeds (as I assume they will), sure! I'd also love to add Hurricanes, unsure how I'd go about tornadoes though.

If the swaying trees have anything to do with wind speeds (as I assume they will), sure! I'd also love to add Hurricanes, unsure how I'd go about tornadoes though.

Hurricanes and Tornados are just ideas, Tornados could be done with dusts, but I think that'd cause massive FPS drop. Hurricanes can be just a mix of heavy rain and strong winds, lighting here and there.

But i'd love to see this mod utilize the swaying tree's effect. This mod is a need in any mod pack tbh.

Got another question for you folks. I was planning on diversifying the weather types in coming updates. I currently have plans for some kind of Ethereal Uprising/Grave Flux event that involves skeletons and undead enemies. Does this stray too far from what you guys want from the mod? Let me know!

Got another question for you folks. I was planning on diversifying the weather types in coming updates. I currently have plans for some kind of Ethereal Uprising/Grave Flux event that involves skeletons and undead enemies. Does this stray too far from what you guys want from the mod? Let me know!
Considering the acid rain and meteor shower, that sounds awesome. I think the mod has already distanced itself from being a standard mod just adding weather, and something like that would fit in, in my opinion.

I like the sound of it.
Maybe add event exclusive stuffs too?

I currently have plans for some kind of Ethereal Uprising/Grave Flux event that involves skeletons and undead enemies.
I support skeletons. Skeletons are spoopy. Spoopy is good.
Skeletons rising from the dead? Yes, please!

Changing the topic, I've always wondered what the boundaries of Terraria wind are roughly.
So, I did a quick experiment using utility mods. Whenever the world's wind speed changed I marked it down. I did 100 trials, for both clear skies and raining.

XpwQSqj.png

On the left are the number of times a specific speed happened. Forgot to add that label.

Obvious things:
Wind during a clear day is consistently lower.
Wind during a rainy day is more erratic but has a chance to be very high.

I would say 30mph should be the mighty wind threshold just by looking at the graph, but that sounds unrealistic and outlier winds during rain can throw this off.
Test it out for yourself, use the rain control and enchanted sundial function on HERO's Mod to observe wind speeds.
If this mod is going to use natural winds to its advantage, the right thresholds are necessary. Take your time to choose the right numbers.:)

One more thing
Hurricanes sounded neat, but...
PowBta7.png

beat you to the idea with their Summer hurricanes. Oof.

Overhaul's hurricanes gradually raise wind speed to 1000mph, this could be used for cross-mod things but don't prioritize that right now.

Last edited:
I support skeletons. Skeletons are spoopy. Spoopy is good.
Skeletons rising from the dead? Yes, please!

Changing the topic, I've always wondered what the boundaries of Terraria wind are roughly.
So, I did a quick experiment using utility mods. Whenever the world's wind speed changed I marked it down. I did 100 trials, for both clear skies and raining.

XpwQSqj.png

On the left are the number of times a specific speed happened. Forgot to add that label.

Obvious things:
Wind during a clear day is consistently lower.
Wind during a rainy day is more erratic but has a chance to be very high.

I would say 30mph should be the mighty wind threshold just by looking at the graph, but that sounds unrealistic and outlier winds during rain can throw this off.
Test it out for yourself, use the rain control and enchanted sundial function on HERO's Mod to observe wind speeds.
If this mod is going to use natural winds to its advantage, the right thresholds are necessary. Take your time to choose the right numbers.:)

One more thing
Hurricanes sounded neat, but...
PowBta7.png

beat you to the idea with their Summer hurricanes. Oof.

Overhaul's hurricanes gradually raise wind speed to 1000mph, this could be used for cross-mod things but don't prioritize that right now.
I actually did test out wind speeds; I decided on 20mph-30mph for regular wind and 30mph+ for great wind. However, I’ve currently disabled great wind during rain since my testing has almost always yielded me high winds during rain, which is a little bit of a nuisance. What do you think?

And I don’t see why we can’t both add Hurricanes :p

Is lightning supposed to be able to strike through blocks? I was in a fully enclosed house during a thunderstorm and lightning struck me through the ceiling.

As for the ethereal uprising idea, I think it's great. More events can never hurt.

Is lightning supposed to be able to strike through blocks? I was in a fully enclosed house during a thunderstorm and lightning struck me through the ceiling.

As for the ethereal uprising idea, I think it's great. More events can never hurt.
I’m still tweaking the Lightning AI; it penetrates walls sometime and sometimes doesn’t though I’ve coded it to not travel through blocks.

I decided on 20mph-30mph for regular wind and 30mph+ for great wind.
That sounds pretty good for clear skies.

For high outlier winds during rain, 50+ mph could be an extremely rare third wind tier that collaborates with rain events.

0mph to 19mph: Calm.
20mph to 29mph: Breezy. A pleasant breeze is drifting through the world. --- Minor wind effects
30mph to 49mph: Gusty. The wind is roaring outside! --- More noticeable wind effects and Mighty wind
50+mph: Windstorm. Caution! The wind is getting exceptionally strong! --- Severe wind effects (slight screen darkening?), mighty wind or a custom windy debuff,
adds new special enemies OR the strong wind gives this mod's enemies HP/Atk/Def buffs
it'd make wind at least something to look out for :dryadsmile:

Also is lightning from this mod supposed to damage you, or is it just a cosmetic effect? :nursenaughty:

That sounds pretty good for clear skies.

For high outlier winds during rain, 50+ mph could be an extremely rare third wind tier that collaborates with rain events.

0mph to 19mph: Calm.
20mph to 29mph: Breezy. A pleasant breeze is drifting through the world. --- Minor wind effects
30mph to 49mph: Gusty. The wind is roaring outside! --- More noticeable wind effects and Mighty wind
50+mph: Windstorm. Caution! The wind is getting exceptionally strong! --- Severe wind effects (slight screen darkening?), mighty wind or a custom windy debuff,
adds new special enemies OR the strong wind gives this mod's enemies HP/Atk/Def buffs
it'd make wind at least something to look out for :dryadsmile:

Also is lightning from this mod supposed to damage you, or is it just a cosmetic effect? :nursenaughty:
Hmmm. I may incorporate a windstorm, but I'd like to keep a few events content-free (just so that I don't get burned out adding content to all events and for a variety in events).

And Lightining is meant to damage and electrify you :)
This mod is actually insane. In all honesty, I enjoy atmospheric mods like this.
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying your time with the mod! Expect some refreshing new stuff in the coming weeks.

Expect some refreshing new stuff in the coming weeks.
Can't wait! Good luck.
I have no more ideas.

Probably going to take a break from Terraria just to wait on mod updates. This is one of them
Don't feel rushed, this really means I enjoy the mod that much! :D

Hey gang! Got a question for everybody. I’ve asked this before, but I think it’s a good question to ask periodically. With the coming update, I’m working on a few larger weather events. However, to counterbalance that, what small weather events would you like to see (like Hail or Wind)? Thanks!

Hey gang! Got a question for everybody. I’ve asked this before, but I think it’s a good question to ask periodically. With the coming update, I’m working on a few larger weather events. However, to counterbalance that, what small weather events would you like to see (like Hail or Wind)? Thanks!

Acid Hail xD

What about fog? It could decrease visibility for the day, similarly to the darkness debuff.

What about fog? It could decrease visibility for the day, similarly to the darkness debuff.
We actually had a whole Fog weather planned, but it was really hard getting the shader to work as we wanted (it couldn’t detect tiles and not display on them), leading to this. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom