Terraria: State of the Game - January 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
my point is why isnt it a top priority?
Money. Pure and simple.

If mobile and Switch was a priority they could throw a few more developers at it, that would cost more money. These porting companies work on other games at the same time which means varying priorities. They will tend to focus on where the money is coming from because it is a business and not a labour of love. Games like Stardew Valley, Undertale, Spelunky, Cave Story, Minecraft were all developed by one person. One person with passion. You cannot expect the same passion from developers working on a port. They're a bit like mercenaries in that respect.

Money. Pure and simple.

If mobile and Switch was a priority they could throw a few more developers at it, that would cost more money. These porting companies work on other games at the same time which means varying priorities. They will tend to focus on where the money is coming from because it is a business and not a labour of love. Games like Stardew Valley, Undertale, Spelunky, Cave Story, Minecraft were all developed by one person. One person with passion. You cannot expect the same passion from developers working on a port. They're a bit like mercenaries in that respect.
It’s hard to tell whether this is a wholesome post or one where you call the devs greedy.

It’s hard to tell whether this is a wholesome post or one where you call the devs greedy.
It is meant in good faith. I am trying to show the difference between development studios creating an original game and a studio creating a port. I'm not saying they are greedy, i'll let the final price determine that, but it is a business and they have to make money otherwise they will sink. With Re-Logic it is completely different, they develop the game for different reasons. 2 weeks ago, I could have bought the PC version of Terraria for 5 quid. It's definitely not financially focused.

They haven't been though. Pipeworks was working on the PS4/XB1 ports, which the mobile version was based on. Once that version got out, work probably started before realizing that Pipeworks just wasn't equipped to handle 3 console releases and a mobile release. Thus the introduction of DR Studios. I'm fairly confident that no actual progress was made on the mobile version until they were brought on board. So the actual amount of time that the 1.3 mobile release has been in development is probably closer to a few months.
I know xbox was first and now they started mobile but if they have the whole game codebase already for xbox it shouldnt take forever to make mobile.

Apparently New Egg believes the Switch version will be released March 29, and has it available for pre-order. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878708056

To ensure there's no confusion on the Newegg site, that was Newegg acting on their own. There is no release date/window, or estimate confirmed by either 505 Games/Pipeworks Studio or Re-Logic at this time. When a release date is given, it will be announced here on these Forums first.

I know xbox was first and now they started mobile but if they have the whole game codebase already for xbox it shouldnt take forever to make mobile.
No necessarily. The hardware that mobile runs on is different from the hardware in consoles and PCs. The underlying code probably needs to be adjusted for those changes. Plus there's all the changes needed for the smaller screen area and playability on a touch screen. I doubt the work of porting to mobile was simple or mostly done when it was ported to PS4/XB1.

Could I get some help? I got a Xbox one with the first version of Terraria on it. Whenever I try to update it it just stops converting worlds at 50% can’t play. Help?

No necessarily. The hardware that mobile runs on is different from the hardware in consoles and PCs. The underlying code probably needs to be adjusted for those changes. Plus there's all the changes needed for the smaller screen area and playability on a touch screen. I doubt the work of porting to mobile was simple or mostly done when it was ported to PS4/XB1.
I guess so but the screen area shouldnt be too hard

Could I get some help? I got a Xbox one with the first version of Terraria on it. Whenever I try to update it it just stops converting worlds at 50% can’t play. Help?
Try resetting your cache. Unplug your Xbox for about 2-3 minutes and plug it right back in... See if that helps.

index.php
What's the thing in the last hotbar slot?

I had my appendix explode on me a couple weeks ago. The LEAST you could do for me is release 1.3.6 before the end of this month!

Eh? Eeeeeeh? ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom