Weapons & Equip Stardust Armor Upgrade

Slapow

Skeletron Prime
Stardust Armor needs a big upgrade, being the worst out of the four end-game armors. Increasing the defense to 45 - 50, increasing the damage of the guardian to something like 100 and making the guardian's blast radius larger would be a bigger and fair upgrade to the armor. I know this addition would make a lot of people happy and excited.

That would be great
[doublepost=1550787279,1550787054][/doublepost]but i dont give a crap cause im ranged
[doublepost=1550787299][/doublepost]still it should

...Eh...Summoner is supposed to be a squishy class, it already the highest DPS class even without any potions.

That would be great
[doublepost=1550787279,1550787054][/doublepost]but i dont give a crap cause im ranged
[doublepost=1550787299][/doublepost]still it should

A triple merge... It's been a while :cool:

The main thing to keep in mind is that summoners have the ability to use other weapons along with their summons. While a lot of people also prefer to rely on summons alone.

So to which kind should be balanced towards?

The main thing to keep in mind is that summoners have the ability to use other weapons along with their summons.
I do this ALL THE TIME!!!
(When I have an Optic Staff, that is. [I REFUSE to use any minion besides the Twins Minions])
(the only reason I'm even on this thread is because I do (kind of) fight summoner)

The main thing to keep in mind is that summoners have the ability to use other weapons along with their summons. While a lot of people also prefer to rely on summons alone.

Summons alone. Then if that makes it OP, okay. So? It's not like Terraria is a competitive online game. If people get bored using the OP summoner armor they can always switch back to the other armors that everyone already uses instead anyway.

Summons alone. Then if that makes it OP, okay. So? It's not like Terraria is a competitive online game. If people get bored using the OP summoner armor they can always switch back to the other armors that everyone already uses instead anyway.
Hmmm, no one said it was OP anywhere in this forum, simply stating that the Summoner is a high DPS class that doesn't need a buff, it's not by much, the game is balanced as it is having the other 3 weapon classes falling closely behind, especially Melee with the Terrarian + Yoyo Bag + Full Melee armor.

Regardless of how strong summoners are as a class, it is not appropriate for the highest-tier summoner set bonus to be this pitifully weak. If buffing the Guardian means that we have to cut down on the stats of the Stardust Armor pieces, then so be it. Making the Guardian an incompetent waste of space is not a proper way to "balance" this class.

no one said it was OP anywhere in this forum

I'm aware of that. I was responding to ppowersteef's question about how it should be balanced. If you take a personal weapon out of the equation and balance the armor toward just summons, then hypothetically that would make the armor overpowered for players who chose to also use a personal weapon rather than letting summons do all the work. I don't see that as a problem because nothing is perfectly balanced, and it's less important in a largely single-player game anyway. If this were a game like DoTA my opinion would be different.

Also...

...Eh...Summoner is supposed to be a squishy class, it already the highest DPS class even without any potions.

Is this a well known fact? Can I get a link to the study?

Last edited:
If you take a personal weapon out of the equation and balance the armor toward just summons
But of course we aren't doing that. Summoners are meant to use a personal weapon simply because the game does not forbid them from doing so. I have the highest respect for those who attempt a "summon only" playthrough knowing that they are severely handicapping themselves; I have zero respect for those who claim that it's the way the class is meant to be played.

Summons are pretty competent damage dealers, but they will fall behind if you rely on them as your only source of damage. That is what I believe to be the developers' intent and I think they achieved it pretty well.

So, to answer the original question:
People who use weapons along with their summons. Those who refuse to use a weapon deserve to be weaker. Theirs is not what I would call a playstyle; it's more like a self-imposed restriction.

People who use weapons along with their summons. Those who refuse to use a weapon deserve to be weaker. Theirs is not what I would call a playstyle; it's more like a self-imposed restriction.

You make a fair point. Consider me persuaded.

Last edited:
Is this a well known fact? Can I get a link to the study?

Well, to be fair I'm not able to point out any "Harvard Studies on Terraria DPS" and it seems no one online has bothered to do any DPS calculation online so yeah, fair point.

I'm only going off of this, the max a Stardust Dragon's DPS for example would be : 8,177 DPS (with armor/accessories)

Which by itself is an extremely good amount, now, pair that with OTHER weapons at the same time and you easily have over 10k DPS.

Yeah true, there's no official "studies" but just looking at it, including the fact that they had to nerf Stardust Dragon by 33% in 1.3.0.6 means that yeah it probably was a pretty powerful class, and hey, still probably is. But that's all speculation :3
=================================================
When it comes to the squishy-ness of the class:

Nebula: 46 Defense + Usual Buffs it gets for adding Health Regen...
$

Vortex: 62 Defense + Reduced Enemy Visibility
Solar: 78 Defense + 30% Damage Mitigation buff from set bonus.
Stardust: 38 Defense + Aggro Guardian (very useful :3 )

And of course a disability to protect yourself as you please Stardust Guardian's aggro doesn't work, I'd say that makes the Summoner class the squishy-est, but lemme know why you'd think otherwise.

EDIT:
Stardust Armor needs a big upgrade, being the worst out of the four end-game armors. Increasing the defense to 45 - 50, increasing the damage of the guardian to something like 100 and making the guardian's blast radius larger would be a bigger and fair upgrade to the armor. I know this addition would make a lot of people happy and excited.

And talking about the original post, I'd agree increasing the armor on the Stardust Armor to some minor extent, but the guardian isn't meant to be dealing damage, it's meant to make it so individual monsters don't even have the chance to touch you by drawing enemies towards the guardian (aggro). It is certainly NOT the worst of the end-game armors, with no other class is it possible to stand still doing absolutely nothing and full clear Frost Moon/Martian/Pumpkin (yeah probably not Pumpkin).

But that's just a theory, a BALANCE THEORY :)

Last edited:
Guardian needs to do at least SOME damage, currently can barely kill a zombie. Does like one dmg to anything in harmode, and all bosses,
Eh, again, its main purpose is to attract mobs AWAY from you, which saves you TONS of potential damage taken, like it or not its actually a really good use for the armor :3

Eh, again, its main purpose is to attract mobs AWAY from you, which saves you TONS of potential damage taken
This will be true only if you take TONS of damage from running into enemies. Unfortunately, most damage you receive will actually be from projectiles, against which the Stardust Guardian does literally nothing. Or from flying enemies that charge at you, against which the Stardust Guardian also does literally nothing.

wQbxlOV.png

Stardust Guardian makes it even easier to deal with extremely weak enemies and lets the actual threats continue doing their thing. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Here's a potential solution that would require tactical interaction from the player: I think it would be cool if the guardian's first attack after teleporting placed a % damage reduction debuff on the enemies it hits. The debuff would require consuming a player buff that would eventually regenerate--similar to the solar armor shield. Thus, the player would need to be somewhat choosy about which targets to debuff.

With the Stardust armor, you might say, you can become a "Stardust Crusader"!:D
[doublepost=1556654809,1556654772][/doublepost]Nice little JoJo"s Bizarre Adventure joke.

Eh, might comment again on this since it was already bumped.

It could make a shield around the player that negates (Or in the cases of persistent or very damaging projectiles (like moon lords death ray) severely disables projectiles) projectiles and does damage to the enemies inside the shield. Isn’t that what a guardian is supposed to do? Might need changes tho.

Back
Top Bottom