tModLoader Boss Cursor

kgoyo

Terrarian
Boss Cursor

Current version: 3.0.0

now available for TML for 1.4.4

This mod adds cursors around your player that point towards all the bosses you are currently fighting.
So if you often find yourself attacking in the wrong direction or constantly looking at the minimap during boss fights, this mod is for you.

The size and transparency of the arrow changes the closer the boss is, so that you get a good feel for how far away the boss is, even when it is off screen.

Using the overlay map also hides the cursor, since having both on at the same time would be redundant.

This mod supports all bosses as long as they have an image that appears on the map, this includes bosses from other mods.

The mod is available on the mod browser

alternatively you can download it from GitHub

Pictures

bosscursor1.PNG

bosscursor2.PNG

bosscursor3.PNG

bosscursor4.PNG

Recommended by Chippygaming

See the example below, for how to blacklist and whitelist NPCs

C#:
public class MyMod : Mod
    {
        public override void PostSetupContent()
        {
            var bossCursor = ModLoader.GetMod("BossCursor");
            if (bossCursor != null)
            {
                // blacklist eye of cthulhu, so that no cursors are drawn for it.
                bossCursor.Call("AddToBlackList", NPCID.EyeofCthulhu);

// Whitelist the hornet enemy, the given texture is used for the cursor
                bossCursor.Call("AddNpc", NPCID.Hornet, ModContent.GetTexture("PathToTheTexture"));
            }
        }
    }

Initial release
A config file has been added, typically located in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Configs
The following things are currently configurable:

HideOnScreenBosses, whether the cursor should be shown for bosses currently on screen
CursorDistance, How far away from the player the cursor should be displayed
CursorSize, How big the cursor is

An icon has been added to the mod
Fixes a bug where the arrow would not point the correct direction, when using the gravitation potion effect
A hotkey has been added to the mod, that disables showing the cursors. (Default "C")
Support for Ancients Awakened has been added

Removes custom mod support, instead worm bodies are filtered away using npc.dontCountMe

Updated to tModLoader version 0.11.4.
Adds ModConfig support, previously set configuration is not migrated.
The distance of the cursor and boss head should now scale with UI scale.
Fixed an issue where the cursor would irregularly be shown for on screen bosses on high UI scales, when the config was set to hide the cursor.

Updated to tModLoader version 0.11.5
Fixed (hopefully) an issue where the game crashed on reload

Fixed an issue where the game crashed on reload (which was not fixed previously)
This time is was done with assistance from Direwolf420, and should hopefully work better this time

Added API for blacklisting NPCs
Added API for whitelisting NPCs
Made blacklist celestial pillars a mod config

A blank texture is used for the boss head texture if no other texture could be found, hopefully fixing crashes

updated for TML for 1.4

updated for TML for 1.4.4

• I wanna credit the Re-logic team for creating my favourite game, and allowing the modding scene to flourish.
  • I also wanna credit the tmodloader team and the people on the tmodloader discord, making this mod possible.
  • Rasy for helping me finetune the mod, and helping with fixing bugs.
  • Direwolf420 for helping me make more scalable cross mod support and fixing defects

Last edited:
that feeling when this just pops up days after I finish my 2 other modded play throughs where this kind of mod would have been really helpful cause the minimap takes a bunch of space on the screen :nursesad: but oh well! :nursehappy: I'll download it and use it on my current play through haha :nursegrin:

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something, could we have the mods listed that this supports custom cursors from? And of those mods (such as Calamity), is it more or less every boss covered from those mods, or only some/a few? Regardless, this is looking incredible!

Honestly, if you really want to play modded (and imo it's well-worth it for any fan of the game) just get Terraria for PC. You can run this game on an old low-end junk-heap, and it's frequently on sale for 5 bucks or less, 10 at most . Heck even unmodded, PC is the most intuitive, best all-around way to play.

Unless I'm missing something, could we have the mods listed that this supports custom cursors from? And of those mods (such as Calamity), is it more or less every boss covered from those mods, or only some/a few? Regardless, this is looking incredible!

Honestly, if you really want to play modded (and imo it's well-worth it for any fan of the game) just get Terraria for PC. You can run this game on an old low-end junk-heap, and it's frequently on sale for 5 bucks or less, 10 at most . It's by far the best way to play.
I would get it, but I don't understand what it wants me to do when I try to buy it.

I don't really see a need for custom cursers, the mod uses the map icon for the curser which works with "most" bosses
thou it tends to go nuts on worm bosses that have all their segments on the map

Anything that has a boss head show on the minimap is supported, although I did make exceptions for the lunar pillars and devourer of gods phase 2 body segments.
This unfortunately has side effects such as the cursor pointing at the moonlords head instead of the core.

I don't really see a need for custom cursers, the mod uses the map icon for the curser which works with "most" bosses
thou it tends to go nuts on worm bosses that have all their segments on the map
Which worm bosses are you referring to, I made an exception for devourer of gods phase 2, are there any others where all segments of the worm are on the map?

Anything that has a boss head show on the minimap is supported, although I did make exceptions for the lunar pillars and devourer of gods phase 2 body segments.
This unfortunately has side effects such as the cursor pointing at the moonlords head instead of the core.

Which worm bosses are you referring to, I made an exception for devourer of gods phase 2, are there any others where all segments of the worm are on the map?
Don't remember right off the hat, but when I figure it out/find bosses that fill up the screen unnecessarily I'll let you know

I don't think I've mentioned how great this mod is, I no longer need to open my map to figure out where the boss is anymore <3

Boss Cursor
This mod adds cursors around your player that point towards all the bosses you are currently fighting.
So if you often find yourself attacking in the wrong direction or constantly looking at the minimap during boss fights, this mod is for you.

The size and transparency of the arrow changes the closer the boss is, so that you get a good feel for how far away the boss is, even when it is off screen.

Using the overlay map also hides the cursor, since having both on at the same time would be redundant.

This mod supports all bosses as long as they have an image that appears on the map, this includes bosses from other mods.

The mod is available on the mod browser

Pictures

View attachment 217438

View attachment 217439

View attachment 217440

View attachment 217441

Initial release

• I wanna credit the Re-logic team for creating my favourite game, and allowing the modding scene to flourish.
  • I also wanna credit the tmodloader team and the people on the tmodloader discord, making this mod possible.
  • Rasy for helping me finetune the mod, and helping with fixing bugs.
Great mod! Also, could you add a config option that makes the boss cursor disappear when the boss is on screen.

Back
Top Bottom