tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,581 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Well that can't be right. Unless the guy's still using XP, almost any OS is going to use like 2 GB passively. Ten years ago, a pre-built computer would have had 8 Gigs of RAM, I think, and a typical home-use OS prior to Windows 8 would cap the amount of RAM you can access overall, so it's not necessarily beneficial to buy a ton of new RAM for an old system.

What you could do - and this really depends on your bottleneck - is buy some RAM with better speed and CAS, and then overclock your RAM in your BIOS. To do that you'd have to know your systems specs and make sure you're not going to have problems, but it's possible that with faster RAM you might be able to process everything before you run into that wall.

It's probably not worth upgrading or building a new rig just for a Terraria mod, though.
Oh trust me,i have seen people with that little ram
And terraria being ram limited isnt something we can fix, do we?

Oh trust me,i have seen people with that little ram
And terraria being ram limited isnt something we can fix, do we?
Well.

In a normal scenario, devs would try to be considerate about RAM limits and take care to never let their product get so close as to cause a problem. More often now, we're starting to see 64 bit programs that can access more RAM because 32 bit systems are so outdated, but all the same, they still try to minimize RAM use and it's better for the program to be more efficient whenever possible. Bloat is never good.

They say that normally most users should almost never need high amounts of RAM unless they're doing a lot of video processing.

This is part of why I was advocating for a smaller mod earlier, and why I was saying all the extra biomes and oddball additions to Calamity should be separate, because if you have to start disabling mods, it'd be nice if you could, say, choose not to have the Sulfurous Sea or choose not to have this new water biome, but sill have the bosses and equipment you actually play Calamity for.

Hello dear Terraria community and dear devs of the Calamity Mod.
Just wanted to chekc out the drop rate for the rare "waifu in a bottle" and found out that someone change the name of it, is this right? o_O Will you change it from Waifu just to lady? Seems quite lame. Or is waifu in any way a harmfull description, as far as I know no.

Well thank you anyway for your great effort you put into this fantastic Mod. The original game is still one of my favorites but you guys did an amazing job ^_^
♥♥♥

Well.

In a normal scenario, devs would try to be considerate about RAM limits and take care to never let their product get so close as to cause a problem. More often now, we're starting to see 64 bit programs that can access more RAM because 32 bit systems are so outdated, but all the same, they still try to minimize RAM use and it's better for the program to be more efficient whenever possible. Bloat is never good.

They say that normally most users should almost never need high amounts of RAM unless they're doing a lot of video processing.

This is part of why I was advocating for a smaller mod earlier, and why I was saying all the extra biomes and oddball additions to Calamity should be separate, because if you have to start disabling mods, it'd be nice if you could, say, choose not to have the Sulfurous Sea or choose not to have this new water biome, but sill have the bosses and equipment you actually play Calamity for.
Options are always good, I wouldn't be against this when it comes to those 2 biomes.

But yes bloat is, sadly a sin of the modern gaming industry it seems. Consider how large some of these AAA titles are these days in filesize when infact it's due to poor file management. (Cough Gears of War 4 Cough)

It was bound to happen to any mod that grew this large thou, but if Calamity is near the end of development, then hopefully it won't a problem too much longer.

Just wanted to chekc out the drop rate for the rare "waifu in a bottle" and found out that someone change the name of it, is this right? o_O Will you change it from Waifu just to lady? Seems quite lame. Or is waifu in any way a harmfull description, as far as I know no.

Well thank you anyway for your great effort you put into this fantastic Mod. The original game is still one of my favorites but you guys did an amazing job ^_^
♥♥♥
All Waifus were changed to Lady, except the Rare Waifu who is now Madame. And, yes, it is right and intended. I'm not aware of the reason though so don't ask me.

Well.

WOW, thats a :red:ty solution and a half, you get ram problems because you have too many mods and you decide that its better to limit the mod EVEN MORE, should we disable some mods? no ofc not, should we get the 64 but version of tmodloader? PFFFFFT No, should we blame one singular mod that was split literally to help with ram issues? WELL YEAH OF COURSE
..... and here i come again, going back to where i began, this ISNT calamity fault, ofc you wont be able to use a crap ton of mods with limited RAM, BUT ITS NOT SOMETHING WE SHOULD BE BLAMED FOR, you have x64 tmodloader, you can simply remove unnecesary mods, BUT NOOOOOOOOO, you gotta blame calamity for all your problems
[doublepost=1551994044,1551993955][/doublepost]and i aint gonna bother continuing this because we literally went on a circle

Bloated?

Now that is about as subjective as you can get, you cannot quantify bloat, nor can you quantify what is 'too much content'.

What you call 'bloat', I call fun. The same can be said about many who play large content mods such as this mod and Thorium, the content is quality and is only considered bad if you nitpick it to death.

You are welcome to dislike an objectively good mod though, I don't mind that :)
What I DO mind is when people blame a large mod for all of their problems when in reality it's their own fault for screwing something up.

Last edited:

♥♥♥

They changed the name? huh?? I saw nothing wrong with the name honestly. kinda sucks now cause I actually like the name it had (not that those were actually my waifus, obvs. don't have any) and it felt somewhat funny spending my time to grind for those items, added to my enjoyment of playing the mod ah well. I still love the mod though <3
s
"Hey Ribbon , what are you doing?"

"Getting waifus in a bottle..."

"what..?"

Well.

Maybe this could be a suggestion you could forward to them; like terrarias world generating options maybe they could try to add an option during world-gen if you want to have the extra biomes and what-not.

<snipped this last part cause I found out I was replying to the wrong person>
way to go Ribbon! even just putting your opinion out you can't do correctly!

Last edited:
@MountainDrew Hello, I am a ranger currently coming back to calamity and am at stage 1 Yharon, I LOVE all things water, powers, swimming, drinking and all and so I absoluetley fell in love with the Alluvion and used it since I got the Draedons forge, then I tried to use it with the vanquisher arrows but it didn't summon water tornadoes of lazer arrows, and when I use the normal arrows, its incredibely hard to hit Yharon or anything fast moving with anything but the lazer arrows, no sure if this is inentional or not but it'd be really nice to be able to use the Alluvion with other arrow types instead of just normal ones like we used to be able to, since pretty much Alluvion gets thrown in the Phangasms shadow since Alluvion cant really hit anything fast moving and all the late-game calamity bosses are really fast. Just an idea/recommendation to keep in mind :)

Last edited:
Bloated?

Now that is about as subjective as you can get, you cannot quantify bloat, nor can you quantify what is 'too much content'.

What you call 'bloat', I call fun. The same can be said about many who play large content mods such as this mod and Thorium, the content is quality and is only considered bad if you nitpick it to death.

You are welcome to dislike an objectively good mod though, I don't mind that :)
What I DO mind is when people blame a large mod for all of their problems when in reality it's their own fault for screwing something up.
I don't mind, the content in Calamity is good say, VS Tremor if people want to talk about "bloat"
Or Fernium, I tend to use that as the "lamest" example.
So yeah, I'm sorry if I meant it the wrong way before, Calamity just got big and well not everyone can handle it now. (no one's fault really)

There are people who think Calamity is the ideal example of a mod with too much indifferent content, can you believe that?

Well.

Not a bad idea; they did separate the music, but it would be tough to pull off, because some stuff requires materials from bosses and biomes

Not a bad idea; they did separate the music, but it would be tough to pull off, because some stuff requires materials from bosses and biomes
The ores didn't used to need the alternate biomes. Chaotic ore used to spawn in the Underworld, for example. It was moved over to the Abyss so the Abyss wouldn't be irrelevant. It could be moved back to the Underworld, and then people could download the Abyss if they wanted a biome that slowly kills them. The whole thing was added because Fabsol got excited about Subnautica, I guess.

A lot of the top mods have a bunch of new bosses, monsters, and equipment, and generally it's what people are looking for. It's what I'm looking for. New biomes are a bit of a niche interest, because the main appeal of the biomes are the stuff that spawns there and the loot rather than the biome itself.

I don't think any of Calamity's unique biomes are so important that they couldn't be cut in the interest of efficiency. An expansion on the ocean is nice, but not if it slowly poisons the player to death as punishment for exploring it. If I got to choose between the two of Calamity's water options, I'd drop the Abyss for sure. I might keep the new one, but I haven't played it yet and since it looks like it's all hardmode, I'm guessing it's either an anti-Hellevator nuisance or the equipment is overpowered enough to invalidate Titanium/Adamantine/Daedalus and is therefore the new META.

Looking at the Wiki, it seems like the new biome's equipment competes with or invalidates the equipment made with Chaotic ore. So I dunno, it's not like it feels as though there's a grand plan or a vision. I think it's more like there's this fear that if it's not bundled with Calamity, people aren't going to download the superfluous stuff.

The ores didn't used to need the alternate biomes. Chaotic ore used to spawn in the Underworld, for example. It was moved over to the Abyss so the Abyss wouldn't be irrelevant. It could be moved back to the Underworld, and then people could download the Abyss if they wanted a biome that slowly kills them. The whole thing was added because Fabsol got excited about Subnautica, I guess.
Gave it reason per-say, but the thing is you can farm Chaotic bars from ravager so you don't even need to go there to get them. While I like the Abyss I found myself not spending much of my game there due to honestly, how annoying the biome is to treverse (Thorium air tank spam ftw tbh)
now, the same can't be said for the Planetiods which don't serve much purpose the last time I played the mod. But may in the future (or now)

Yeah, I think I'll quit judging based off old versions I'm very likely wrong rn about all this, just saying Fabsol did give you the "choice", but didn't force you to go to these biomes.

Still all things considered, it's a cool biome, but the option to disable it during generation would be nice. I'd really like to go there if there was a boss (A killable boss) to fight there.

While I like the Abyss I found myself not spending much of my game there due to honestly, how annoying the biome is to treverse
Yeah. I mean I usually skip the Chaotic ore equipment myself. Why bother? Lunar equipment does the trick and has a lot of personality to boot. Though I don't know why the already underutilized Vortex stealth buff had to be nerfed.

"Here's your Halibut Cannon, don't use stealth mode it's OP!"

Uninstalling Calamity is the best decision I've made in the last few hundred hours of Terraria playtime. Removing useless shoehorned 'content' like the piss ocean and the unnecessary and unwanted vanilla changes offers a much superior and far better balanced experience. How Armageddon got past testing I'll never know, even after the 11/10->6/5 nerf it's still comically overpowered.

I will miss pre-rework Yharon, the flamenado spam was hard as hell to avoid but made for a unique and fun battle; post-rework Yharon and the rest of the mod bosses are generally uninspired and uninteresting HP blobs that rely on bullet hell and edgy tryhard lore to try to appear interesting.

Good and bad are inherently subjective; you can't objectively call the mod one or the other and it's comical to think you can.

Won't post here again, there's enough negativity and drama in this topic regularly without me adding to it any further - just pleasantly surprised how painless of a switch it was.

Uninstalling Calamity is the best decision I've made in the last few hundred hours of Terraria playtime. Removing useless shoehorned 'content' like the piss ocean and the unnecessary and unwanted vanilla changes offers a much superior and far better balanced experience. How Armageddon got past testing I'll never know, even after the 11/10->6/5 nerf it's still comically overpowered.

I will miss pre-rework Yharon, the flamenado spam was hard as hell to avoid but made for a unique and fun battle; post-rework Yharon and the rest of the mod bosses are generally uninspired and uninteresting HP blobs that rely on bullet hell and edgy tryhard lore to try to appear interesting.

Good and bad are inherently subjective; you can't objectively call the mod one or the other and it's comical to think you can.

Won't post here again, there's enough negativity and drama in this topic regularly without me adding to it any further - just pleasantly surprised how painless of a switch it was.
Something else I questioned is the introduction of the Magnum and Bazooka, weapons that deal percentage damage to even BOSSES.
I'm not a fan of how bosses (and even normal enemies) are more often than not in the late game just straight up immune to ALL debuffs (flask of rainbows from Alchemist NPC FTW here, bypasses immunities) so stuff like "oh hey very strong DoT debuff that ultimately won't matter in the long run" doesn't matter to me.

However, percentage damage against bosses is somehow ok in this case?

Also, this is likely the point where Fabsol will just kick the bucket with TCF, I mean lets be honest, why would they care about here where they have to adhere to forum admins and rules when they can just, be gods in their own mod discords?

And honestly if I were you guys, I'd have a backup like the TCF thread around, who knows if the discord platform will survive with the drama going on with them.

I'm old school, so I have alot of respect for forums and little for discord servers (You didn't see this happening with Skype), that's why I'm not in Calamity's discord anymore but am still active in this thread.

Calamity is flawed, it will always be flawed at this point. But that's fine, it's a niche that honestly is a major selling point for the game. I'm sure Fabsol wants to finish it to the very end so he can retire from Terraria modding and move onto other projects like Diverman Sam has.

Last edited:
God why do i always have to come back to people being uninformed, bazooka and magnum are that strong because the ammo is limited and absurdly expensive
Not gonna bother answering the rest because im just tired

God why do i always have to come back to people being uninformed, bazooka and magnum are that strong because the ammo is limited and absurdly expensive
Not gonna bother answering the rest because im just tired
As long as you can grind unlimited ammounts of it in due time, it doesn't matter how expensive it is.
the fact that this exists and it doesn't have a finite limit like the Life Jelly that the slime god drops is my point. If you couldn't buy more and it ONLY dropped from Calamity bosses then I'd be fine with it. Maybe.

That was the plan at first ye, but guess what, it got changed because people were gonna whine about it
[doublepost=1552054974,1552054907][/doublepost]Also, armageddon gives you that many bags because it literally asks for perfection
[doublepost=1552055183][/doublepost]And fab isnt considered a god in discord, heck hes losing his mind just like here because of people like you that are just uninformed or ignorant
[doublepost=1552055257][/doublepost]Jesus, i wonder where you guys get all this "totally true" info, probably you simply make it up

That was the plan at first ye, but guess what, it got changed because people were gonna whine about it
[doublepost=1552054974,1552054907][/doublepost]Also, armageddon gives you that many bags because it literally asks for perfection
[doublepost=1552055183][/doublepost]And fab isnt considered a god in discord, heck hes losing his mind just like here because of people like you that are just uninformed or ignorant
[doublepost=1552055257][/doublepost]Jesus, i wonder where you guys get all this "totally true" info, probably you simply make it up
Hi @Shucky boye, a reminder that at these forums we expect members to post civilly and politely. Please keep that in mind if you choose to post in the future, as calling other members ignorant and being contentious (as evidenced in one of your recent posts that included all caps many times) isn’t going to be acceptable here.

Also, please use the Edit button if you want to add more content to your post, instead of double/triple/quadruple posting. Thanks.

Send me a private message if you have questions or want to discuss this further by clicking the ‘Start a Conversation’ link under my avatar at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom