What are your creepiest stories from playing Terraria?

I was spelunking in the Cavern layer, at the depth where lava starts to generate. Just exploring along, minding my own business... when a message pops up "Wall of Flesh has awoken!" This was the first surprise because I was not at the depth for WoF to spawn. There were no demons on the screen. But indeed it had spawned, and I saw it come up to me. I was early hardmode, so didn't have weapons to easily defeat the WoF. Plus it was in the Cavern, so there weren't open spaces for a proper arena.
I was grabbed by the Tongue a few times. Eventually the Horrified debuff killed me, as if I had used a Magic Mirror. I put it down to bad luck / a bug, respawned, and went about my business for a few minutes storing my loot. (Softcore, so I only lost some coins.)

WoF didn't despawn.

I got a second massive shock as WoF and I met on the surface again. The Tongue and Hungry debuffs didn't activate this time. I resumed trying to kill it, but didn't have good enough weapons. WoF continued to rise, going ever higher in the sky. I followed it up to space, and it continued to float away, off-screen.

This was in 1.2.4.1. 'Would I ever see WoF again?', I wondered to myself. 'What's it doing up there in space now?' Little did I know that, yes, I would see WoF again, over a year later.

It's how Moon Lord came to be.

Story is completely true except for the part about WoF transforming into Moon Lord. Obviously the two aren't related! My WoF going off-screen didn't cause the developers to make Moon Lord. But it makes for a fun twist to the story!

I was spelunking in the Cavern layer, at the depth where lava starts to generate. Just exploring along, minding my own business... when a message pops up "Wall of Flesh has awoken!" This was the first surprise because I was not at the depth for WoF to spawn. There were no demons on the screen. But indeed it had spawned, and I saw it come up to me. I was early hardmode, so didn't have weapons to easily defeat the WoF. Plus it was in the Cavern, so there weren't open spaces for a proper arena.
I was grabbed by the Tongue a few times. Eventually the Horrified debuff killed me, as if I had used a Magic Mirror. I put it down to bad luck / a bug, respawned, and went about my business for a few minutes storing my loot. (Softcore, so I only lost some coins.)

WoF didn't despawn.

I got a second massive shock as WoF and I met on the surface again. The Tongue and Hungry debuffs didn't activate this time. I resumed trying to kill it, but didn't have good enough weapons. WoF continued to rise, going ever higher in the sky. I followed it up to space, and it continued to float away, off-screen.

This was in 1.2.4.1. 'Would I ever see WoF again?', I wondered to myself. 'What's it doing up there in space now?' Little did I know that, yes, I would see WoF again, over a year later.

It's how Moon Lord came to be.

Story is completely true except for the part about WoF transforming into Moon Lord. Obviously the two aren't related! My WoF going off-screen didn't cause the developers to make Moon Lord. But it makes for a fun twist to the story!
I think I've actually heard about this happening before lol. It's been a super long time, but it sounds familiar.

I think I've actually heard about this happening before lol. It's been a super long time, but it sounds familiar.
Maybe it was this video (credit Pedguin)
It is -- or was -- a known bug. There were a couple of reports in the PC bug reports forum for it. I have a feeling something may have been done 1.3.0.x to address it. The above story is one that happened to me personally.
It comes about from the WoF's AI. The WoF tries to align itself so the top eye is beneath ash blocks, and the bottom eye is above ash blocks. This is how it normally stays in the underworld and tracks the player's progress so well. Because there's ash on the ceiling and floor of the Underworld, that usually keeps WoF confined. If WoF spawns too high, as happened to me and in the video, it'll keep rising because it won't find ash above it. And WoF won't move back down because there is still ash blocks below it.
The question is how WoF could escape the Underworld in the first place. If you dug out a lot of the top ash blocks, then you might be able to lead WoF out of the Underworld. In my case, it might have been an off-screen minion that killed an off-screen Voodoo Demon and the Doll happened to land in lava. That might have caused WoF to spawn too high initially. I haven't been able to reproduce it since that one time.

I had the WoF encounter too the voodoo demon died randomly and sropped the Guide Doll in the lava then I magic mirrored home then died instantly.

Well, it was a long time ago, when I was a rookie of this game. I was exploring the cavern as everyone did. Trying to find some crystal hearts for myself and my brother. Suddenly, a rare creature was detected, a "lost girl". I and my brother was very excited, we said "hey, a lost NPC! And it is a girl! Maybe she needs our help". We approach her without any suspicion because we thought " c' mon, it's just a girl, nothing could go wrong with it". As we approach, the "lost girl" suddenly jumped us, I die of a jump scare, while my brother managed to run away, but then he dies drowned in the lava.

That "lost girl", really creeps the crap out of us.

Well, it was a long time ago, when I was a rookie of this game. I was exploring the cavern as everyone did. Trying to find some crystal hearts for myself and my brother. Suddenly, a rare creature was detected, a "lost girl". I and my brother was very excited, we said "hey, a lost NPC! And it is a girl! Maybe she needs our help". We approach her without any suspicion because we thought " c' mon, it's just a girl, nothing could go wrong with it". As we approach, the "lost girl" suddenly jumped us, I die of a jump scare, while my brother managed to run away, but then he dies drowned in the lava.

That's actually a vanilla enemy called the nymph. It's fairly uncommon, and they can take newer players by surprise. It's nothing to worry about, I just don't recommend approaching them without post-Eater of Worlds gear.

That's actually a vanilla enemy called the nymph. It's fairly uncommon, and they can take newer players by surprise. It's nothing to worry about, I just don't recommend approaching them without post-Eater of Worlds gear.
Yeah, I completely know about it now. Because as I said, it was when I was a rookie. Right now, I will just annihilate her before she jumps at me.

Once i digged through sand on console terraria in desert biome, then i saw a dungeon guardian chased me.

In my opinion, dungeon guardian jumpscare, explosive traps, boulder traps and spider biome as a whole are scarier than 90% of horror games.

This. Happened to me when I met her as well. Stupid nymphs, I enjoy etirely smashing them now that I have endgame gear.

Also, I was in Hardmode when I saw a detonator. I had endgame armor, so I walked over to the trigger thinking what could go wrong?

Everything went wrong, LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I now know that those things are the biggest threat, even with endgame weapons and armor.

Blood Moons aren't really that scary.

Martian Madness, on the other hand, always scares me to death. I'm usually all like "OH FRICK ALL MY NPCS ARE GONNA DIE!!!" rushing out of my hotel and to the Autofarm to fly around and try not to die. Even though I have endgame armor and weapons.

Blood Moons aren't really that scary.

Martian Madness, on the other hand, always scares me to death. I'm usually all like "OH FRICK ALL MY NPCS ARE GONNA DIE!!!" rushing out of my hotel and to the Autofarm to fly around and try not to die. Even though I have endgame armor and weapons.
You can stay away from your house and martian madness aren't gonna kill your NPCs

Well, talking about NPC, I have story about it. So, I was doing my usual thing, exploring the surface searching for chest and rare plant, and getting annoyed by some unicorns and gastropods. Suddenly, a red text appear in the bottom-left corner, it said, "Luke the Guide was slain," and I said, "wait, what?! What the hell is happening? My Guide is dead?! What!" That time I was miles away from the town where Luke lives. I am confused, because what could have kill him. I mean there are a huge wall that cut through hell on each end of the biome where the town is located. I also build a huge dome that protect the whole town from outside elements. There are also no lake there that usually drown NPCs. I have no clue.

Then I force quit the Terraria and load it to the last autosave, before Luke is dead. But then, it happen again, exactly like before, but different NPC. Then I force quit again, and load again. But still, it happen again, again, and again. Until I said, "oh God! I am tired, just let it be. Who cares??!" Then, I ignore it, and it keeps happening, one NPC per DAY!! "What the hell is happening?!? Are these Grim Reapers doing?! Oh God!"

Finally, I decide to make a new world and start all over again. The good thing is it never happen again, but the bad thing is I lost all my builds, HUGE builds! But still, I have no clue what could have kill my NPCs before. It's quite creepy...

oh BOY do i have a story

first time i played on a crimson world was i think shortly after the crimson was added? i wasn't familiar with any of the content yet so i was trying to get myself situated with it. now, most of the enemies in the crimson i don't find particularly scary. i know, i know, but i have a lot of horror resistance, especially in the context of a non-horror game. the crimson doesn't bug me.

.....except for blood crawlers. i don't mind them quite as much now, but goodness gracious did they scare the daylights out of me the first time i encountered them. wasn't so bad on the surface, or on my way down into the center of the crimson cave, since i was only encountering about one or two at a time, but then i got into the center of the cave, placed down a torch and was greeted with about five of them at once

i ran powerfully in the opposite direction and did not go back in for quite some time

Back
Top Bottom