Terraria State of the Game - March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry but this is angering me now. The old UI wasn’t that bad save for it being unresponsive sometimes. I don’t want a new, fancy UI. I want my game. I’ve played this game for years exclusively on my iPad and having a new interface being prioritised over actual game content is, in my opinion, stupid. I personally feel like the game should fix the glitches currently present like crashing, deletion of items and characters, the music cutting out and wierd graphical anomalies instead of making an entirely new interface to replace a slightly dysfunctional one. I would rather have a little bug fix patch as opposed to waiting for ‘the big update’ which there seems to be no release date for despite it being 2 years since the last update.
Excuse me? UI being prioritized over content?
Do you know what this update is? It’s going to introduce new bosses! Weapons! Enemies! A new mode! Everything!
This update came out on PC during summer of 2015. They’ve got all the content covered. They only new thing they can really add that isn’t a given from 1.3 is a new UI.
And don’t think they wont fix all those bugs. I have full faith that they will, and you should too.

I’m sorry but this is angering me now. The old UI wasn’t that bad save for it being unresponsive sometimes. I don’t want a new, fancy UI. I want my game. I’ve played this game for years exclusively on my iPad and having a new interface being prioritised over actual game content is, in my opinion, stupid. I personally feel like the game should fix the glitches currently present like crashing, deletion of items and characters, the music cutting out and wierd graphical anomalies instead of making an entirely new interface to replace a slightly dysfunctional one. I would rather have a little bug fix patch as opposed to waiting for ‘the big update’ which there seems to be no release date for despite it being 2 years since the last update.

Hey buddy, calm down, they're adding the new content of course, you can see it in the monthly updates, and they used a different codebase so the bugs that used to be in mobile are fixed, the reason why they are also working in the UI is for improving the gameplay and the controls that used to be kinda awful, adding fast buttons to use stuff like mounts, potions and more. Just like I said, improving the gameplay and adding stuff that wasn't added before with the new UI (like vanity accesories, dyes for accesories, the data from the information items like clocks and more)

Just calm down, this update is happening and it'll be similar to PC, just fixing bugs and adding items won't make it better, gameplay matters too, and they aren't giving priority to the UI

Quality over quantity my friend, that's what I read everytime I'm in the Super Mario Bros X forum

It read like it was an upcoming feature.

Apologies for being confusing in my wording then. My bad.

On the whole “content vs upgrade” front - why not both?

1.3 adds a ton of new content across the span of the game - including the end game and final boss.

In parallel, this is a brand new codebase - it is not an update to old mobile nor is it from console. The idea here is to examine the mobile terraria experience and take it to the next level... make things that never worked right work right... and bring the controls and UI to a higher level of feel and function.

That takes a bit of time - but tons of progress here. PERSONALLY, I already think it’s pretty great, and the team at DR isn’t even done yet. :)

Very much looking forward to hearing what you all think (and probably making some tweaks down the road).

Existing worlds will transfer to the new version - but there is no way to make a normal world into an expert world after worldgen, sorry!

Terraria came out on PC in 2011 and took 4 yrs for 1.3 to come out for PC, while Terraria came out on mobile in 2013 and the 1.3 update is still not out yet, but mobile players have been waiting for 6 yrs.

Apologies for being confusing in my wording then. My bad.

On the whole “content vs upgrade” front - why not both?

1.3 adds a ton of new content across the span of the game - including the end game and final boss.

In parallel, this is a brand new codebase - it is not an update to old mobile nor is it from console. The idea here is to examine the mobile terraria experience and take it to the next level... make things that never worked right work right... and bring the controls and UI to a higher level of feel and function.

That takes a bit of time - but tons of progress here. PERSONALLY, I already think it’s pretty great, and the team at DR isn’t even done yet. :)

Very much looking forward to hearing what you all think (and probably making some tweaks down the road).

Existing worlds will transfer to the new version - but there is no way to make a normal world into an expert world after worldgen, sorry!
I've been researching expert mode a bit myself, and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't add anything in terms of structures that would be created on worldgen to the world. It's main features are different drop rates, and boss/enemy health and damage. Could this idea be looked into further? And if most of it is impossible, maybe an option for a low key expert mode could be added to those pre-existing worlds that has the main features of real expert mode that I mentioned.

I am pretty sure it’s a design decision as well. Expert is intended to be a global playthrough challenge rather than a difficulty toggle (of sorts).

I’ll ask around - but I would say that you need to go into the update assuming that “converting” existing worlds to expert won’t be a thing.

Besides, it’s always great to do a fresh play with each major update like this... at least I think it is. ;)

on mobile, how will 1.3 be introduced to pre-existing worlds? It would be perfect if there was some kind of 1-time option, once you re-enter a world for the first time on 1.3, to change those pre-existing worlds to expert mode or stay in normal mode, since those worlds never got the opportunity to go to expert mode.
There isnt really any point. You can always create a new expert world. It would make many, many bugs on world converting if changing to expert.
Its been way more than 2 years. Excluding duke fishron, its been about 5 years. It would be completely useless to fix the current bugs as it would just waste time while the team is recoding the game. Ive never experienced any of the bugs you mentioned and some of them are caused by the device, not the game. The new UI and controls is honestly the only thing im exited even a little about this update, nothing is really worth the 4 year wait.

Excuse me? UI being prioritized over content?
Do you know what this update is? It’s going to introduce new bosses! Weapons! Enemies! A new mode! Everything!
This update came out on PC during summer of 2015. They’ve got all the content covered. They only new thing they can really add that isn’t a given from 1.3 is a new UI.
And don’t think they wont fix all those bugs. I have full faith that they will, and you should too.
They are recoding the game. Every bug that is in the old game will be fixed, although introducing nee bugs with it. The new boss isnt very cool though, its just two bosses after 4 years. The only items that i will care about is the informational accessories and shadowflame knife.

I am pretty sure it’s a design decision as well. Expert is intended to be a global playthrough challenge rather than a difficulty toggle (of sorts).

I’ll ask around - but I would say that you need to go into the update assuming that “converting” existing worlds to expert won’t be a thing.

Besides, it’s always great to do a fresh play with each major update like this... at least I think it is. ;)
Ok - thank you! My situation that gave me this idea is that I'm making an arena that spans the length of one of my worlds, ocean to ocean and surface to sky, and its too complex to redo. I want to get the most out of it on the hardest difficulties. Another idea came to my mind if its easier than switching pre-existing worlds btw - what if a duplicate backup of the world can be converted since thats kind of like creating a new world? thanks again for your time looking into this

Ok - thank you! My situation that gave me this idea is that I'm making an arena that spans the length of one of my worlds, ocean to ocean and surface to sky, and its too complex to redo. I want to get the most out of it on the hardest difficulties. Another idea came to my mind if its easier than switching pre-existing worlds btw - what if a duplicate backup of the world can be converted since thats kind of like creating a new world? thanks again for your time looking into this

Pretty sure the duplicated worlds will be removed since the data files are now open to backup your worlds and characters manually

It's better creating a new expert world, making an already created world an expert mode world feels like cheating. Sorry buddy

Terraria should consider offering a preorder deal. For example, preorder Switch edition and be granted access to pre 1.3 mobile edition. That’s probably a poor example but just throwing it out there.

Maybe it’d help reinforce the reality this game will drop soon as well as get y’all some extra revenue.

Is that too presumptuous?

Terraria should consider offering a preorder deal. For example, preorder Switch edition and be granted access to pre 1.3 mobile edition. That’s probably a poor example but just throwing it out there.

Maybe it’d help reinforce the reality this game will drop soon as well as get y’all some extra revenue.

Is that too presumptuous?
Switch is console, not mobile.

That's not the point. What he's suggesting is a special offer. Preorder the Switch edition, and get access to a beta of 1.3 for your mobile device.
Not sure if I like that idea, though.

Well, not quite. I wasn’t suggesting access to a beta, just 1.2 mobile access. It’s not really that great an idea in retrospect because it mostly rewards those who don’t currently own mobile.

If anyone knows the answer to my question, please answer me. How much progress have we acually made in 1.3 in percentage? If we keep up at that rate of progress, how long would it take for 1.3?

Unless someone of us is a beta tester who is authorized to say how much progress they have we won't know. But seeing the monthly states I can give the game 2/3 months before it comes out finally :3

Stuff like this cannot be expressed in percentages. More like stage-gates... at least traditionally speaking.

Pre-Alpha - Alpha - Beta - RC - launch - hotfixes - etc

Those gates are not tied to time, they are tied to what us being worked on in each stage.

Thus, there is no way to presume how much time is left even with that info. A relatively clean game (bug wise) could go very quickly from alpha to launch.... or you could have a beta where testing unconvers a string of critical bugs where solving one creates two more and it takes twice as long as you thought. To some degree you just kinda never know until you know. :p

That said, hoping the team will be able to share more down their journey through the gates soon.

Well, not quite. I wasn’t suggesting access to a beta, just 1.2 mobile access. It’s not really that great an idea in retrospect because it mostly rewards those who don’t currently own mobile.
1.2 is already on mobile.
If anyone knows the answer to my question, please answer me. How much progress have we acually made in 1.3 in percentage? If we keep up at that rate of progress, how long would it take for 1.3?
We arent sure yet, no estimated releases are out yet either

So will there be gamepad support for mobile 1.3 . It would be nice to be able to use a controller in case people don't like the new controlls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom