Weapons & Equip Completely rework the Brain of Confusion

Which do you prefer?

• Make fewer enemies immune to confusion, and/or no longer require getting hit to activate.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Change the Brain's effect to something informational, like Hunter+Dangersense+Spelunker.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Have the Brain reduce the mana cost of spellbooks to zero.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Change to Brain's effect to a short duration of Shadow Dodge upon being hit.

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters
I mean, that effect definitely fits the name “Brain of Confusion”, you can’t argue with that. But I really do not want the Brain of Confusion to be the first-ever accessory to directly punish players for equipping it. Especially because part of the reason I started playing Terraria in the first place is because playing Minecraft gave me horrible migraine headaches...

I mean, that effect definitely fits the name “Brain of Confusion”, you can’t argue with that. But I really do not want the Brain of Confusion to be the first-ever accessory to directly punish players for equipping it. Especially because part of the reason I started playing Terraria in the first place is because playing Minecraft gave me horrible migraine headaches...
Why?

My brain is literally not equipped to handle three-dimensional games, and I get severe motion sickness when I play them.

Not that this is important towards the discussion at hand, since it would give the player a headache for an entirely different reason.

Well that sounds... horrible. Why would anyone want to deal with something so obnoxious?
I'm sure that there'll be a few players who'll just learn to tolerate it. and unfortunately, people who will rebind their keys to use it normally.
[doublepost=1542156024,1542155924][/doublepost]I mean, you guys make a few good points. This is kinda more designed for people like Yrimir who want max defense and are willing to put in a ton of time to learn stuff like this, rather than the average player. :p

I'm sure that there'll be a few players who'll just learn to tolerate it. and unfortunately, people who will rebind their keys to use it normally.
[doublepost=1542156024,1542155924][/doublepost]I mean, you guys make a few good points. This is kinda more designed for people like Yrimir who want max defense and are willing to put in a ton of time to learn stuff like this, rather than the average player. :p
This isn't skillfull. There is no incentive for "time to learn". It's just bad design that irritates rather than challenging the player.

This isn't skillfull. There is no incentive for "time to learn". It's just bad design that irritates rather than challenging the player.
Fair enough. I guess we can agree to disagree then. We're both making the same points, so I think we should probably bring this argument to a close and talk about potential other ideas for the expert drop/what Baconfry and others suggested.

I actually do really like the Brain of Knowledge idea, but I think it'd be best suited to Skeletron and Bone Glove should be made a normal mode drop. Because bone glove does fit Skeletron's random normalmode loot table, but not as an enduring expert mode drop.

I find that many of the Expert exclusives are a bit of disappointment. They're so limited in how they're used. That includes the Brain of Confusion, since not many enemies are affected and it requires getting hit, as previously pointed out.

In a way, changing it to a Brain of Knowledge for spellbooks keeps its limited functionality. That would be somewhat of a disappointment for non-mage players in an Expert Crimson world. To further what @TMB50 said before, a Brain of Knowledge could provide an attack or critical hit boost, making it the offensive counterpart to the Worm Scarf's defense. This comes about from the Brain analysing enemies to identify their attack patterns and weak spots. (Not literally, but just within the game's lore.)

Aside: An information Brain giving effect of multiple potions is an expert exclusive drop I wanted from the Twins. :)

I find that many of the Expert exclusives are a bit of disappointment. They're so limited in how they're used. That includes the Brain of Confusion, since not many enemies are affected and it requires getting hit, as previously pointed out.

In a way, changing it to a Brain of Knowledge for spellbooks keeps its limited functionality. That would be somewhat of a disappointment for non-mage players in an Expert Crimson world. To further what @TMB50 said before, a Brain of Knowledge could provide an attack or critical hit boost, making it the offensive counterpart to the Worm Scarf's defense. This comes about from the Brain analysing enemies to identify their attack patterns and weak spots. (Not literally, but just within the game's lore.)

Aside: An information Brain giving effect of multiple potions is an expert exclusive drop I wanted from the Twins. :)
Another offensive possibility would be that, for similar reason, it increases critical damage, which would also make it similar to the Worm Scarf in that it's not that impressive early on, but very useful later on due to most armor sets increasing crit chance.

I actually do really like the Brain of Knowledge idea, but I think it'd be best suited to Skeletron and Bone Glove should be made a normal mode drop. Because bone glove does fit Skeletron's random normalmode loot table, but not as an enduring expert mode drop.
With regard to the spellbook idea, this is the idea I'm leaning towards the most. The Bone Glove is the only weapon exclusive to Expert Mode and also (iirc) considered one of the least useful Expert-mode exclusive items.

a Brain of Knowledge could provide an attack or critical hit boost
Another offensive possibility would be that, for similar reason, it increases critical damage
As for the Brain, I think offering generic unconditional DPS upgrades/damage reduction is rather boring. I think a much more interesting effect (if we were to go that route) would be to provide increased damage and damage reduction against the monster type you most recently took damage from, which thematically fits the Brain a little bit more. I still prefer the Shadow Dodge effect, but if you guys prefer an offensive accessory, then that's an effect you might want to consider.

I absolutely agree that the Brain of Confusion is just godawful and desperately needs a rework, though I'm a little bit averse to the idea of buffing spellbooks in particular just because it would require more changes (e.g. more spellbooks between mechs and Plantera) to work well. Even so, the Worm Scarf is just universally good no matter what weapons you're carrying.

The Shadow Dodge effect is interesting, but "on being hit" is a problem as usual. "On hit" (with the usual hard cooldown of 30 seconds) sounds like a much more feasible idea, providing a slightly unreliable but very powerful effect to compare to the Scarf.

(I don't know how it would work with Titanium Armor, but that's a very minor problem)

The Shadow Dodge effect is interesting, but "on being hit" is a problem as usual.
This isn't actually a problem to the same degree as it is for the Star Cloak and Honey Comb, because it provides a defensive effect rather than an offensive one. You should treat it as insurance against getting hit twice in a short frame of time. This already seems like a viable and universally good effect to me, which is why I don't like the idea of making it work the same way as Titanium Armor.

This isn't actually a problem to the same degree as it is for the Star Cloak and Honey Comb, because it provides a defensive effect rather than an offensive one. You should treat it as insurance against getting hit twice in a short frame of time. This already seems like a viable and universally good effect to me, which is why I don't like the idea of making it work the same way as Titanium Armor.
That's a fair point; you got me on board. I'm assuming you'd have the flat 30-second cooldown still?

0 cost spellbooks is stupid OP. Infinite razor blade typhoon and golden shower is way too broken and infinite water bolt would trivialize pre hardmode.

I think the shadow dodge idea could work. It can be thematically fitting, as the brain could queue the player in they are about to be hit, so they could dodge.

0 cost spellbooks is stupid OP. Infinite razor blade typhoon and golden shower is way too broken and infinite water bolt would trivialize pre hardmode.

I think the shadow dodge idea could work. It can be thematically fitting, as the brain could queue the player in they are about to be hit, so they could dodge.
Would 0 cost spellbooks be balanced if it only worked after not getting hit for several seconds?

Would 0 cost spellbooks be balanced if it only worked after not getting hit for several seconds?
I could see it working hardmode but the water bolt can be used with such safety in prehardmode this change would have questionable impact. Like seriously, imagine just flooding a cavern with your death hose until the whole thing is blue. Or prepping an arena by spraying projectiles everywhere and greeting the boss with hundreds of damage instantly upon summoning.

I could see it working hardmode but the water bolt can be used with such safety in prehardmode this change would have questionable impact. Like seriously, imagine just flooding a cavern with your death hose until the whole thing is blue. Or prepping an arena by spraying projectiles everywhere and greeting the boss with hundreds of damage instantly upon summoning.
The fact that you immediately made a strategy around this tells me that this change would be a good thing. Though I think you could probably do that with just a Star Statue, anyways.

Back
Top Bottom