Sprites Shark Tooth Necklaces - Random Ideas

Bry

Steampunker
Well, another Smol-gestion. Guess I'm just subverting all expectations, now.
trJhpas.png

i29berK.png

Shark Tooth Necklace.
Apparently it's better than I thought, with weaker weapons. Who knew -5 defense was so significant a change? I say it should be -10, though.
I think the Armor Penetration game is actually kinda interesting, so I cooked up a few more accessories to delve into that a little more, because I just can't leave anything be, I guess.
...This is a bit more of a "for fun" suggestion, since I'm not exactly sure how necessary this is (not to mention overpowered).

trJhpas.png

Now, I actually have two ideas for this thing. This first one keeps the accessory's all-class functionality.
MORE Shark Tooth Necklaces!
IvEjULP.png

The Fossiltooth Necklace!
Crafted with 16 Sturdy Fossils, 6 Souls of Might, and, of course, a Shark Tooth Necklace. Alternatively, this could be dropped from the Sand Shark, with a 3.58% chance.
...Yeah, I just made a bunch of Sand Shark necklaces. Expected/10, I know.
The Fossil Tooth Necklace is just a straight upgrade from the Shark Tooth Necklace, granting 17 armor penetration to the wearer. Unlike other accessories (barring the Avenger Emblem, cough cough), this requires normal material items to create, as opposed to being tinkered with another accessory; a proposal that makes this a little iffy.

Effects
+17 Armor Penetration

qMPHoI5.png

The Plaquechime Necklace
Crafted with 4 Dark Shards, 12 Souls of Fright, 10 Rotten Chunks, and a Shark Tooth Necklace, or alternatively dropped by the Bone Biter (3.58% chance).

Loses a lot of the immediate armor penetration, down to 6. However, every consecutive hit against an enemy increases the penetration effect by 1. This effect can add up to a total of 24 armor penetration on its own, which is pretty great. The thing is, though, you have to keep hitting the same enemy over and over again; hitting another enemy will reset the armor penetration on the initial target. Waiting for too long (3 seconds) will also reset the penetration, so make sure you stay on the guy you're fighting.
Effects
+6 Armor Penetration; quick, consecutive hits increase armor penetration up to 24

sfoKLDV.png

The Fleshfang Necklace
Crafted with 4 Dark Shards, 12 Souls of Fright, 10 Tissue Samples, and a Shark Tooth Necklace, or alternatively dropped by the Flesh Reaver (3.58% chance).

Killing enemies adds 25% of their defense to your own, as well as to your armor penetration, for 10 seconds.
Effects
Killing enemies adds a quarter of their defense to your armor penetration and defense for 10 seconds.

8NZ5dfE.png

The Threshcrystal Necklace
Crafted with 4 Light Shards, 12 Souls of Sight, 10 Crystal Shards, and a Shark Tooth Necklace, or alternatively dropped by the Crystal Thresher (3.58% chance).

...Ok yeah, those aren't actually teeth. Don't TELL anyone, though.
This thing grants 4 armor penetration for every enemy you've hit in the last 4 seconds─a very good option for crowds. Worms should count as only one enemy, but knowing how this game treats its worms... *health bar PTSD*
Enemies contributing to the bonus will have a little crystal stuck in them.
pkus9K8.png

This is essentially an easier-to-use Gumtooth Necklace, where instead of killing the enemy for a bonus, you just have to hit them. Obviously, the bonus itself is smaller, here.

Effects
Grants 4 Armor Penetration for every enemy hit in the last 4 seconds

Alternatively, we could integrate the Fossil Tooth Necklace into the Forbidden set.
BEHOLD!
KIjPH1D.png

The Fossiltooth Necklace, again!
Crafted with a Shark Tooth Necklace, 24 Sturdy Fossils, and 2 Forbidden Fragments.
Once again an upgrade from the Shark Tooth Necklace, though with a little more Summoner pizzazz.
Minion attacks have a small chance of trapping an enemy in the jaws of a Sand Shark, drastically slowing or outright immobilizing them based on their size and health while dealing 17 DPS and lowering their defense by 25. This effect lasts for 30 seconds, and its timer cannot be refreshed with subsequent minion attacks until the effects have worn off.
For specific slowdown values, regular enemies and mini-bosses will be slowed by 70-100%, with the amount of slowdown increasing with enemies with smaller max HP. Bosses and Event Bosses work on a similar mechanic, but are only slowed by 5-20%; the slowdown increases as their health decreases, however, so it'll get better as you progress through the fight.
The limit with this necklace is that only up to two enemies can be jawed at a time; the chance of the effect triggering lowers after a first enemy is inflicted.
All attacks, whether they deal Summon damage or not, additionally gain 17 Armor Penetration, further benefitting Impure Summoners.

Effects
Minion attacks have a chance to summon the maw of a Sand Shark to slow or trap a foe while dealing damage and lowering defense; slowdown depends on the enemy's size and health
+17 Armor Penetration

Also, because Lava Sharks have been spoiled for Journey's End:

The Lavafang Necklace!
Tinkered with the Shark Tooth Necklace and the Magma Stone, or dropped by Lava Sharks with a 3.58% chance if they're an actual enemy and not just a Mount.

Here's a necklace that's more oriented towards Melee users!
Melee attacks send out 4 glowy-orange fangs that fly out in completely random directions and are mildly affected by gravity (think Spiked Slime projectiles), sticking into any foes they hit. Foes stuck with fangs lose 2 defense, take 30 initial damage (defense-piercing), and are set On Fire; if the melee hit was a crit, though, EVERY fang sent out from the hit will instead inflict Burning and lower defense by 5. Up to 8 fangs can be stuck onto one enemy at the same time, stacking the effects (including the On Fire and Burning part) with each additional fang; you could lower an enemy's defense by a total of 16 while dealing up to 32 DPS with On Fire, but if each fang came from a critical strike, you COULD, theoretically, lower an individual enemy's defense by up to a whopping 40 while dealing up to 400 DPS. Burning fangs will take priority over On Fire fangs when sticking on enemies, meaning that if there are already 8 fangs lodged into somebody, Burning fangs will replace On Fire fangs, while On Fire fangs either replace the oldest On Fire Fang or simply despawn after dealing damage (if all 8 fangs are Burning fangs, somehow). Each fang (along with its [defense] debuff) lasts 10 seconds.
Oh, uh, yeah, you also have a static 14 Armor Penetration right off the bat.

Effects
Melee attacks send 4 molten fangs flying in random directions, which hurt and ignite foes while lowering their defense; critical hits greatly improve the effects of each fang
+14 Armor Penetration
trJhpas.png

I also have another bonus idea, if you wanna see that.
7iTBmPs.png

The Sharkron Tooth Necklace!
Can only be obtained in
Expert Mode by killing Sharkrons (1.33%/2.66% chance) and Duke Fishron (12.12% chance).
Because why not add more damage on top of other damage, all critical hits pierce defense completely, while normal attacks simply pierce half defense.
Effects
Attacks pierce half of enemy defense; critical hits ignore defense entirely

I've included some of these necklaces in my Accessory Rejuvenation suggestion, where they have different effects and methods of being obtained. There's also a bunch more Accessory issues I dealt with there, so if you're interested in either, I'd say it's worth reading.​

Last edited:
The Shark Tooth Necklace grants an extra 3 damage on armored enemies, it isn't good.
If I'm being honest, I kinda just had the wiki and some people on my profile as my source of info on this thing.
Techhunter_Talon said:
It's good in normal play and decent in Expert where piercing defense helps quite a bit more.

...Again, piercing a few points of defense isn't bad at all. Guess even more if you got a world where you can't utilize Ichor to decrease enemy defense... or against anything immune to Ichor, like the Destroyer.
sharkman0101 said:
It synergies well with the Minishark and other low damage weapons like the Vilethorn.
The Official Terraria Wiki said:
The Shark Tooth Necklace is great for overcoming the shortcomings of early high rate, low damage weapons such as the Minishark and the Bee Gun, which fall short when fighting high defense enemies. Raising damage from 10 damage per hit to 12 is equivalent to a 20% increase in damage.
I mean, I kinda just thought it was downright useless, but apparently it's not.

If I'm being honest, I kinda just had the wiki and some people on my profile as my source of info on this thing.

I mean, I kinda just thought it was downright useless, but apparently it's not.
That seems like number play. A weak 20% increase is worse than a powerful 10% increase- the actual numbers count, not the %... by the time you are dealing so little damage that those couple points make a difference you should be using a different weapon- and a more powerful accessory.

That seems like number play. A weak 20% increase is worse than a powerful 10% increase- the actual numbers count, not the %... by the time you are dealing so little damage that those couple points make a difference you should be using a different weapon- and a more powerful accessory.
True that, though the Minishark and Minishark are also fast firers, as well as being more constant (moreso the Minishark on this one).
I've yet to test these myself, though, so I wouldn't really know for sure. I'll do that right now.

Well okay that took longer than I would've liked, thanks to Debuff Overhaul's color codes exploding.
Anyways, damage tested. Against the Eye of Cthulhu.
Good test subject, I know. `:confused:
STN=Shark Tooth Necklace, if it doesn't click right away for anyone.
Minishark DPS: 65, 121 with Venom Bullets
STN Minishark DPS: 76, 139 with Venom Bullets (Not sure why I used Hardmode ammo with a Pre-Hardmode gun. Shoulda used Silver Bullets. `:rolleyes:)
+10% DMG Diamond Staff DPS: 83 (at 200 Mana)

Megashark DPS: 233, 317 with Venom Bullets
STN Megashark DPS: 250, 346 with Venom Bullets
+10% DMG Light Discs DPS: 338
Not... exactly what I was expecting from Hardmode, but ooookay.
I see where you're coming from now, though. Still, that STN boost is... better than I expected. Pretty hefty.
It could probably help Rangers if they decided to use the Sharks, but other than that, you've got me. Maybe boost the Shark Tooth Necklace's penetration value to 8? Maybe 10?

Without STN
------------------------------
Minishark DPS: 65, 121 with Venom Bullets
Megashark DPS: 233, 317 with Venom Bullets

With STN
Minishark DPS: 76, 139 with Venom Bullets
Megashark DPS: 250, 346 with Venom Bullets

With 10% damage bonus
Minishark DPS: 66, 133 with Venom Bullets
Megashark DPS: 289, 354 with Venom Bullets
Diamond Staff DPS: 83
Light Discs DPS: 332
Onyx Blaster DPS: 332, 356 with Venom Bullets

Last edited:
gHUhZKU.png
Oops.

I agree, the armour penetration is a a heavily under-used feature and could use more accessories that grant it. I like all of these and especially how the hardmode ones don't just give a flat out armour penetration, but instead you have to earn it :dryadsmile:
Perhaps there could be an Expert mode exclusive one that has a high amount of penetration.

gHUhZKU.png
Oops.

I agree, the armour penetration is a a heavily under-used feature and could use more accessories that grant it. I like all of these and especially how the hardmode ones don't just give a flat out armour penetration, but instead you have to earn it :dryadsmile:
Perhaps there could be an Expert mode exclusive one that has a high amount of penetration.
Lavafang Necklace.
They showed Lava Sharks as a mount in a spoiler.
[EDIT] I rebalanced a couple of things, shifting the Forbidden Fossiltooth Necklace's effect (with a couple of modifications) over to the new Lavafang Necklace in order to give the F.F. Necklace its effects from my Accessory Rejuvenation thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom