Member-Run Project ppower indies

I noticed that there were an amount of important flaws in the latest version, so I've hotfixed them all today.

Hotfix 1.1.0.1 is currently live!

Changelog v1.1.0.1:
- The Manual Fire has been returned, right now you can swap it for manual hypermode, or let it be full automatic.
- The Silver Defender appears now much rarer.
- All centered text is now correctly centered.
- Fixed a bug where saving the enemycounters didn't worked.
- Fixed a graphical bug when you reach 2 milestones at once.
- It now says when you've unlocked all possible spaceships.
- Fixed various NPC ship errors.

Also, about that "Something Huge is waiting" I've mentioned earlier:
1.1 boss teaser.PNG

Right now I've considered this project as finished already.
However, there was just one rather critical bug that I really wanted to have fixed before moving on.

And finally, with the great help of @Kazzymodus , I've managed to fix the final bits left in this game. And now I can declare this game as finished.
(Untill I discover a new bug, that said.)

Hotfix 1.1.0.2 is now available!

Changelog v1.1.0.2:
- Fixed a critical bug that caused the game to no longer respond if you left it idle for a moment.
- Added a new soundtrack from Waterflame than can be selected in the options menu.

And yes, the game has also an extra soundtrack: Clutterfunk 2 from Waterflame. The reason of this is that I've used that soundtrack a lot in the game itself during debugging, and it found it pretty enjoyable, And also quite fitting as well. I've also the rights to use the soundtrack. So there was nothing holding me back to not use it in the game.

That's all, for real now. It has been a big ride. but I've really enjoyed it.
And every ride ends someday, but I'm glad to see that this one has ended without crashes.
However, with every end. A new one can start as well, and that's something I'll be looking forward for now. :)

Put. This. On. Steam. Right. Now.
Even if I wanted to, it'll only cost more than that it'll be worth it. Uploading games on Steam isn't free.

This game is a non-profit game too, and knowing I've used licenced (but free to use) sound and music, I may not charge money for it. It's currently on Itch.io and I find that already a good step forward, compared with just mediafire for download.

Thanks for the support though, even if you weren't serious about Steam bussiness. It's still nice to see you've enjoyed it. :D

You're making computer games? I can't believe I missed this. :eek:

Nice going! Hopefully you'll improve on it, bigger screen for starters. And mouse control. ;)
Got a score of 2240, so I think it's safe to say that I suck at this.

You're making computer games? I can't believe I missed this. :eek:

Nice going! Hopefully you'll improve on it, bigger screen for starters. And mouse control. ;)
Got a score of 2240, so I think it's safe to say that I suck at this.
I'm practising it as a hobby. :)
It's only this one that I've managed to release so far. Since I came into realisation that making games on a larger scale is quite difficult to do. Especially on my own.

I've leaved this game as finished since 2017. Though I've silently updated it last month. To review and improve my own code again.

The score's not bad per se, I actually havn't really balanced the part anymore after the boss. :p

Well, now this thread's revived, I might as well say something more:
Currently I've been working on a new game, though that had a way too big concept from the start. So I've been shrinking it down 3 times already so the goal is more clear to reach for me.

I've been silent about announcing new games, because I want to make sure the game's possible to finish. After Otherworld, I rather prefer to be careful with it. I've been given quite some time while I'm waiting for 1.3.6 as well.

So far I can't really announce much about it, besides that I'm still working on. :)

ppowersteef said:
Though I've silently updated it last month. To review and improve my own code again.
Well...A silent update isn't silent anymore when I'm talking about it. I might as well announce it properly since the thread revival.

As of September 2018, previous month, I've decided to do a throwback at this game's code again to look where I could improve/optimise with.
While the main intention was just optimising, I also couldn't help it to just make some slight improvements overall. :p
The main focus was to improve it without requiring too many proper testing, as I rather want to save that time for my next project.

So, since Sept 4, version 1.1.0.3 is available!

Changelog:
- The score of multiple and single ships are now calculated seperate from each other. (This was something that I should have added way earlier, since single and multiple ships are not balanced enough to share the same score at all.)
- Item's secondary function's been altered a little:
- - Firerate item now adds energy if your ship is at maximum firepower.
- - Energy item will restore Super Health (The blue lifes that you lose when passing an alien) if your ship is at full health.
- Fireship now fires bullets faster and further depending on it's ship level.
- Explosions from the bomber ship lasts a little longer.
- during pause, you can now resume the game by pressing Escape.
- A bomb explosion occurs automatic when unlocking a new ship. So there's a bit of time to read the message as well.

And that's all, they were just small improvements, really. And I didn't really think I would have bothered too much by reviving this thread from a year of silence. That's why I preferred to keep these changes mostly just for myself. But now that I've also able to get some stuff about the new project off my chest, I'd say it was worth it. :)

I mean like in the download where is the file to open up the game/
I'm not sure what you're saying, so I'll explain it step by step.
Keep in mind that this program runs only on Windows Desktop.

On the link to itch.io, there's a download button here.
upload_2019-5-3_18-8-22.png

Then inside your downloads folder (depending where you're saving downloads), you'll find a .zip file:
upload_2019-5-3_18-9-12.png

You can use "extract all" in the right-click menu, this will unzip the folder and place it in a new folder.

After extracting, you can open the .exe file to open the game:
upload_2019-5-3_18-11-53.png

Since it's a downloaded .exe file, it's likely that you'll PC give a warning to prevent virusses.
That's a part where you have to trust the application that it won't do any harm. It's understandable if you're unsure with it.

Once you've allowed the application to run on your PC, then it would run on your PC.

My .exe file is just replaced by Space siblings with no .exe, I click and it asks me to run it, I click run and says publisher is unknown but i dot'tare and i click run again but nothing happens, Do i need to click extract instead of run?

ah i got it!

Can you make it so you can full screen?

Its fun! But the movement is kind of sloppy a tiny bit because your so fast first of all, And even once you stop holding the arrow you still move a tiny bit and you maybe should make it so that you can use w, a, s, and d keys to move and maybe be able to go in full screen also are thee bosses in this game at all?

Last edited:
My .exe file is just replaced by Space siblings with no .exe, I click and it asks me to run it, I click run and says publisher is unknown but i dot'tare and i click run again but nothing happens, Do i need to click extract instead of run?

ah i got it!

Can you make it so you can full screen?

Its fun! But the movement is kind of sloppy a tiny bit because your so fast first of all, And even once you stop holding the arrow you still move a tiny bit and you maybe should make it so that you can use w, a, s, and d keys to move and maybe be able to go in full screen also are thee bosses in this game at all?
Whew, glad to see that it worked out.
that's also a lot of suggestions. Let me try to explain them:

- attempting to go fullscreen on an XNA game is quite difficult. As it requires to scale every single sprite with it. Then there are also many different screen resolutions that the game needs to stretch out with.
- Movement was difficult to implement. As you still had to be fast enough to reach the other side of the screen in time. There's a secondary movement option that removes the friction and acceleration of the spaceships in the options menu. That could help to move more direct.
- You can use WASD to move! You can set it for ship #1 in the options menu :)
- There's a single boss that will appear if you've reached 2000 points.

For those who were watching my Art thread, they may have noticed it by now.
And for those who didn't, well, suprise! :p

The thread "Space Siblings" have now been renamed to "ppower indies", to keep this thread as my compilation of indie games created.

And with the announcement of this game, my announced indie games has turned into a plural:
Since 2017 in development, here it is, Hjort Helten:

Hjort Helten Beta Cover.png

Hjort Helten, which translates to 'Deer Hero', is my platformer game experiment I’ve worked on during my sparetime.
Due to my interests in maze platformers/Metroidvania, I would have loved to try making one of them by myself.
The program is made with GameMaker Studio 2, over the course of 2,5 years.
Gameplay preview.gif
Sam_idle.png

Currently it has turned into a short Metroidvania game where you play as Samantha the huntress, who have to search through the forest to save her pet deer.
As you progress, you'll find items that helps you to open areas in other locations. Untill you'll meet the boss, which will mark the end if defeated.

It's been a project that had a lot of ups and downs, and it's a clear example why one shouldn't think too big about a game project. As I had to leave out a lot of ideas I wanted to implement to keep the game at a minimalist requirement to make it solid. I think the main Idea have been shrinked down 4 times already since the start.

So far it's currently in Beta, but it's already playable from start to finish, along with minor additions and effects. And that's where I want to leave it for now.
Here's the page to Itch.io, where you can download it from there. (So far only tested in Windows)

Hjort Helten by ppowersteef

The file comes in a .zip format, once unpacked, the game will open when clicking on the .exe file.
The game's only published unlisted, so it's only accessable in the places I've shared the link. (or if you found my itch.io account by chance)
Thanks to RambunctiousFlan for creating the main theme and
Dimos Stathoulis for the music themes I could use.

Thanks to @Dragonith for testing and feedback given during it's early phases.

Thanks to @MiltVala , @Dragonith , @Aurora3500 , @ajidot and Aavri for the continious support given.

The project does look close to done already, but that can still be a far point away. depending on how much effort the small details will be once you count it all up together. And for that reason, I want to leave this project as is, and think about where to go with it next.

Early details about this project found in my Art Thread.

That's all I've to say about it.
I'm welcome for any feedback given, and hope you're having fun with it. :)

Last edited:
I like the game, only two small complaints so far:
The background is kinda bland
There should be an option to change the controls
Yeah, the backgrounds were left completely blank. More because I can't guess yet how much is enough to statisfy the role,
(Background object? Background tiles? full backgrounds? Parralax moving backgrounds? different backgrounds for each section? Different background objects for each room?)
They're probably going to take a huge effort, for something that's not related to the gameplay. It's something to keep in mind for a later update.

I've certainely done a take on background objects before, but due to lack of inspiration, I wasn't very statisfied with the current outcome. (It would also make the current tileset look too Terraria-like)
Preview 6.PNG

Keybindings will be difficult to do. I'm not sure how to set that up when each key has their assigned code.
And with my method of saving the game (savestates), it would probably override your settings after loading the save again.
It's something to keep in mind, but I only see a slim chance of it happening in this game. I hope that's understandable.

Thanks for playing and the feedback so far. :)

Yeah, the backgrounds were left completely blank. More because I can't guess yet how much is enough to statisfy the role,
(Background object? Background tiles? full backgrounds? Parralax moving backgrounds? different backgrounds for each section? Different background objects for each room?)
They're probably going to take a huge effort, for something that's not related to the gameplay. It's something to keep in mind for a later update.

I've certainely done a take on background objects before, but due to lack of inspiration, I wasn't very statisfied with the current outcome. (It would also make the current tileset look too Terraria-like)
View attachment 224398

Keybindings will be difficult to do. I'm not sure how to set that up when each key has their assigned code.
And with my method of saving the game (savestates), it would probably override your settings after loading the save again.
It's something to keep in mind, but I only see a slim chance of it happening in this game. I hope that's understandable.

Thanks for playing and the feedback so far. :)
No problem. If customizing the controls isn't an option, maybe just change them a little. For example, spacebar to jump instead of z, z to use the knife, x to shoot. Cause with the current configuration it's kinda hard to play what with the control positions. Nice job though! I hope that someday i'll be able to do something like this.

No problem. If customizing the controls isn't an option, maybe just change them a little. For example, spacebar to jump instead of z, z to use the knife, x to shoot. Cause with the current configuration it's kinda hard to play what with the control positions. Nice job though! I hope that someday i'll be able to do something like this.
The controls have been based on what I was used when playing Momodora, Cave Story and Emulators. (Z = jump, X = shoot)
Though, due to the obtainable items, there are more seperate buttons involved than 2.
I've of course been used to it, but preference can differ for each person. Which makes it difficult to decide the default way.
There's always room for improvements of the controls though. So that's to keep into mind.

And thanks! I'm sure the possibility always exists, but not without it's effort.
Starting (very!) small is really recommended to try, and it's something I've wished for myself as well.

Back
Top Bottom