Sprites A Little More Love for the Ice Golem

Bry

Steampunker
Ice_Golem.png

Ok, before you say anything.
The mini-bosses in this game are pretty "Meh", even for being Mini-Bosses. There's only 3 in the game, and they're kinda there for a minuscule amount of time.
I'm not saying Redigit should make the Ice Golem essential for progress or anything; I just want the thing to not be completely irrelevant after 4 kills in early Hardmode. So here I am.
Now I've got 3 changes I wanna make. What I hope to accomplish here with these changes is to make the Ice Golem a constant challenge, but at the same time manageable.
nwzP6dg.png

1st Change: Stats
First off, something I'd like to suggest for both the Ice Golem and the Sand Elemental (obviously focusing on the former, though) is that their stats should beef up the further you get into the game. Specifically, every Hardmode Boss you defeat will boost its stats by an amount that I'm going to specify in a spoiler that's coming up shortly. The reason for this is that, well, there are only two Mini-Bosses in the game, and you kinda fight them both at the same point in the game. Having the Mini-Bosses get more difficult as you get more difficult would make them more interesting, I'd think. Kind of has a "rival" vibe to it, like in the Pokemon games (though I guess the word "rival" isn't very accurate at all in this scenario, is it?).
If you want nothing to do with stats, I'd suggest you skip this spoiler.

Okay, so here are its normal stats in-game. The numbers in parentheses are Expert Mode stats.​
BossDamageMax HealthDefenseKnockback ResistanceInflicts Debuffs
None60 (120) [180] Contact
64 (80) [96] Frost Beam
4,000 (8,000) [11,000]3295% (95%) [100%]
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Frost Beam, lasts 20 (30) seconds.)
yjO38aN.png
Frozen (20% chance from Frost Beam, lasts 1 (1.5) seconds.)
1st Mech64 (128) [192] Contact
64 (80) [96] Frost Beam
4,280 (8,560) [11,770]3395% (96%) [100%]
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Frost Beam, lasts 22 (33) seconds.)
yjO38aN.png
2nd Mech68 (136) [204] Contact
64 (80) [96] Frost Beam
4,560 (9,120) [12,540]3496% (97%) [100%]
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Frost Beam, lasts 24 (36) seconds.)
yjO38aN.png
3rd Mech74 (148) [222] Contact
72 (90) [108] Frost Beam
5,120 (10,240) [14,080]3696% (98%) [100%]
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Frost Beam, lasts 25 (37) seconds.)
yjO38aN.png
Frozen (25% chance from Frost Beam, lasts 1 (1.5) seconds.)
Plantera80 (160) [240] Contact
76 (95) [114] Frost Beam
5,680 (11,360) [15,620]4097% (99%) [100%]
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Frost Beam, lasts 27 (40) seconds.)
yjO38aN.png
Frozen (25% chance from Frost Beam, lasts 1.33 (2) seconds.)
Golem88 (176) [264] Contact
80 (100) [120] Frost Beam
6,520 (13,040) [17,930]4498% (100%)
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Frost Beam, lasts 30 (45) seconds.)
yjO38aN.png
Frozen (25% chance from Frost Beam, lasts 1.5 (2.25) seconds.)
Lunatic Cultist96 (192) [288] Contact
88 (110) [132] Frost Beam
7,120 (14,240) [19,580]5099% (100%)
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Frost Beam, lasts 34 (54) seconds.)
yjO38aN.png
Frozen (33% chance from Frost Beam, lasts 1.5 (2.25) seconds.)
Moon Lord110 (220) [330] Contact
100 (125) [150] Frost Beam
8,680 (17,360) [23,870]60100%
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Frost Beam, lasts 40 (60) seconds.)
yjO38aN.png
Frozen (33% chance from Frost Beam, lasts 1.8 (2.7) seconds.)
Duke Fishron+10% Contact
+10% Frost Beam
+15%+10%No Bonus
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (Now also inflicted on Contact)
yjO38aN.png
Frozen (+7% chance from Frost Beam)

2nd Change: Expert Mode Frost Beam
The other thing I'd like to suggest to make fighting the Ice Golem a little more interesting is giving its Frost Beam an additional asset in Expert Mode: a rain of icicles that behaves very similarly to the Cursed Dart's lingering flames, except for the "lingering" part. The icicles fall faster than the cursed flames, but they shatter on contact with players or blocks, inflicting a new debuff called
0tDdbhk.png
Frigid if they hit a player. The duration of Frigid would be the same as Frozen.
If you're inflicted with Frozen, you'll be immune to Frigid, and vice versa. Shouldn't be that big of an issue, since the Ice Golem won't be able to extend the debuffs' durations by hitting you again.
Frozen and Frigid now increase damage taken from cold sources by 30% (the polar opposite of the Warmth buff).
Actually, another thing that is sorely needed (thanks for bringin' it up, @sharkman0101): The Frost Beam should really be able to go through walls. All you need is a little hidey hole and the beam can't touch you.
0tDdbhk.png

Effects: The target produces a trail of frost that lingers for 4 seconds. The trail deals 30 defense-piercing damage to the target's allies and inflicts them with Chilled for 10 seconds. The target themself will take damage from the trail a second after Frigid wears off.
Slows movement speed by 30%.
Tooltip: Immovable, weakened to cold attacks
Enemies that inflict Chilled, Frozen or Frigid are immune to Frigid, Chilled, Frozen and Frostburn.
Bosses of any kind are not immune.
With that out of the way, I can start on my favorite part.
The new items.
3rd Change: New Frost Core Items
Yes, I'm adding in new items.
In fact, I'm adding in several. Mostly weapons and ammo, but there's a few other items that you can make. I'm debating adding a few more weapons for later in the game (Post-Plantera, probably).
Funnily enough (and to the dismay of many, I'd imagine), none of these items inflict Frostburn.
I wanted to give Snap Freeze more than "Only inflicted by one enemy in Expert Mode".
Melee
SfqtNjn.png

Crafted with 2 Frost Cores, 13 Adamantium/Titanium Bars, and an Ice Blade.
Doesn't exactly get any size improvements from its previous form, but the new projectiles'll make up for this at least somewhat.
This blade launches 4 icicles in a preset pattern in front of you as you swing. One after another, the icicles fly out in a 60-degree spread, each travelling in a long arc and shattering on impact. The icicles have a 100% chance to inflict Chilled for 10-20 seconds, as well as a 10% chance (20%, if the enemy is already Chilled) of inflicting Snap Freeze for a second. As for the blade itself, it inflicts Chilled AND Snap Freeze with a 35% chance (the latter's chances again being doubled if the target is Chilled), which can help you if you decide to get close.
...Now, uh, this is all cool and good, but there's the problem of the Frostbrand existing at around the same tier as this thing.
Damage: 42 (Melee)
Knockback: 4 (Weak)
Critical Strike Chance: 3%
Use Time: 29 (Average)
Velocity: 8.5
Tooltip: Fires chilling icicles at foes
Inflicts
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100% from Icicle, 35% from Blade; lasts 6-12 seconds),
0tDdbhk.png
Frigid (10% from Icicle, 35% from Blade; lasts 1 second)
Rarity: Pink
Sell: 6
HNlYAPM.gif
Hgnqk85.png

Crafted with a Frost Core and 4 Adamantium/Titanium Bars.
A rather small boomerang. Thankfully (again), its ability mitigates this issue.
The Iceflake is a stackable boomerang that flies about 14 blocks and moves a little slower than the Ice Boomerang.
When stacked, all boomerangs in the stack will be thrown at once, each one's angle being about 15° apart. With a full stack of 7, you'll have the initial Iceflake, along with two more 15° on either end, 30° on either end, and 45° on either end. This kinda makes a little Iceflake "barrier", though the Iceflakes don't pierce enemies, so, really, it just eliminates the need to aim.
Of course, to compensate for this, its damage is kinda low.
The Iceflake, like the Slicicle, inflicts both Chilled and Snap Freeze, and the chance of Snap Freeze inflicting is also doubled if the target is already Chilled.
Damage: 42 (Melee)
Knockback: 5 (Average)
Critical Strike Chance: 2%
Use Time: 42 (Very Slow)
Velocity: 9
Tooltip: Stacks up to 7, entire stack is thrown at once
Inflicts
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (33%; lasts 5-12 seconds) and
0tDdbhk.png
Frigid (7%; lasts 1 second)
Rarity: Pink
Sell: 2
HNlYAPM.gif
OifknNg.png

Crafted with Bottled Water and a Frost Core at an Imbuing Station.
For the next 20 minutes after drinking this, melee attacks inflict Chilled (100% chance) and Snap Freeze (5% chance; 10% if enemy is already Chilled).
Use Time: 16 (Very Fast)
Tooltip: Melee attacks chill and freeze enemies
Grants Buff: Weapon Imbue: Frostbite
mDTOgro.png
(20 minutes)
Buff Tooltip: Melee attacks chill and freeze enemies
Rarity: Light Red
Sell: 1
HNlYAPM.gif

Ranged
f2EnmsP.png

Crafted with a Frost Core and 175 Wooden Arrows. Makes 175, as one would assume.
Guaranteed to inflict Chilled, with a 15% chance of Snap Freezing enemies (30%, if the enemy is already Chilled).
Damage: 13 (Ranged)
Knockback: 1.25 (Extremely Weak)
Velocity: 1
Pierce: 0
Inflicts
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100%; lasts 7-12 seconds),
0tDdbhk.png
Snap Freeze (8%; lasts 1 second)
Sell: 17
KCN2Y1k.gif
NbjX2S8.png

Crafted with a Frost Core and 175 Musket Balls. Makes 175.
Second verse, same as the first.
Damage: 9 (Ranged)
Knockback: 1.25 (Extremely Weak)
Velocity: 1.75
Pierce: 0
Inflicts
TgJimdW.png
Chilled (100%; lasts 7-12 seconds),
0tDdbhk.png
Snap Freeze (7%; lasts 1 second)
Sell: 7
KCN2Y1k.gif
vP1d3CL.png

Crafted with a Frost Core. Makes 175.
Leaves a trail of frost clouds that lingers for about 2 seconds before fading away.
Damage: 8 (Ranged)
Knockback: 1 (Extremely Weak)
Velocity: 0
Pierce: 4 (Shatters on the 5th enemy hit)
Inflicts
TgJimdW.png
(100%; lasts 5-10 seconds),
0tDdbhk.png
Snap Freeze (5%; lasts 1 second)
Sell: 0
KCN2Y1k.gif

nwzP6dg.png

Alright well that's kind of it. Thanks for readin' through that.
Feedback would be appreciated for the Ice Golem's stats, if possible, as well as for the usage of Snap Freeze on the items. I'm well aware of how overpowered it could've gotten so I did my best to account for that.

Last edited:
Haha wait I'm an idiot I posted this in Items instead of NPCs & Enemies.
...I have not been doing so hot these past few months.
EDIT: Oh yay someone moved it for me. Thanks, unnamed person.

Last edited:
While I love the new weapons you suggested, the stat scaling and the new attack doesn't solve how easy he is. Those higher stats and that attack won't stop players from hiding in a hole or behind a wall and cheesing him with yo-yos or other weapons like a Daedalus Stormbow. I suggest that those icicles from the frost beam should maybe go through walls, in order to stop players from hiding out and taking his precious Ice Cores.

Reactions: Bry
While I love the new weapons you suggested, the stat scaling and the new attack doesn't solve how easy he is. Those higher stats and that attack won't stop players from hiding in a hole or behind a wall and cheesing him with yo-yos or other weapons like a Daedalus Stormbow. I suggest that those icicles from the frost beam should maybe go through walls, in order to stop players from hiding out and taking his precious Ice Cores.
Ok, glad someone else noticed it.
[EDIT] Done and dusted.
Also, I've been thinking of adding something else to the laser, either with the icicle part or replacing it: a trail of frost that lingers for around 3 seconds before disappearing, guaranteed to inflict Snap Freeze for 2 seconds.
Mainly wanted this to further limit any camper's moving space, and making them a sitting duck for other lasers. I'm thinking it might be a little much, though.
Opinion, if any?

Last edited:
Don't the Paladin and Red Devil count as mini-bosses??? If they do, then there'd be 4.
I- You know what? I totally didn't even consider the Paladin. I don't think the Red Devil really counts, though; it's more of a Hardmode version of the Demon (not to mention its low health compared to the other mini-bosses).
Make that three, then.

I was more thinking of the tridents...
If we're going by damage, then the Giant Tortoise is a mini-boss, too, which... isn't exactly the case.
The Red Devil's more just a normal enemy with a strong but easily-dodged ranged attack.

If we're going by damage, then the Giant Tortoise is a mini-boss, too, which... isn't exactly the case.
The Red Devil's more just a normal enemy with a strong but easily-dodged ranged attack.
Ohhh... Ok. Looks like I just misunderstood... either them or you, no idea which :p

Reactions: Bry
I think there's more than 3 mini bosses: Ice Golems, Sand elementals, Wyverns, Paladins, Biome mimics plus all the event mini bosses; Goblin summoner, Flying Dutchman ect... But I fully support this idea, we need more frost items in Terraria, plus these sprites are... cool. I'll see myself out.

I think there's more than 3 mini bosses: Ice Golems, Sand elementals, Wyverns, Paladins, Biome mimics plus all the event mini bosses; Goblin summoner, Flying Dutchman ect... But I fully support this idea, we need more frost items in Terraria, plus these sprites are... cool. I'll see myself out.
Huh, I kinda considered Wyverns to be normal enemies, if only because they're the only other enemy in the Sky besides Harpies. I forgot about the Paladin and Biome Mimics, and I also considered the event bosses as a separate category, for some reason, so I think the logical conclusion is that my brain functions weirdly.

Back
Top Bottom