Terraria 8th Anniversary Lore Event

You know what? Let's settle with what worked for 8 years: Terraria has no official lore.
I'm truly disappointed, this "lore" has so many plotholes it's bleeding out the moment you start reading it. ReLogic does everything in their power to disappoint the playerbase - SDMG and Celebration are the prime examples there -, but they truly outdid themselves this time.

This is so shockingly bad it took me half a month to gather my thoughts about this. This is basicly the worst fanfiction I've read about Terraria so far, including the one time I have ran into some written mature content about Terraria.

I'm not calling this "canon", no way it's gonna happen. You can't pay me enough.

#1 News flash, we are not the good guys!
This lore calls us the champion, really original. However the lore fails to have any connection with whatever happens in the game:
  • Sacrificing a benevolent character alive.
  • Grinding living creatures.
  • Strip mining.
  • Actively destroying entire ecosystems by removing their biomes.
  • Releasing every single malevolent force upon the unfortunate planet we can.
We are basicly hitler and stalin incarnate in the world of Terraria.
We are so evil, Santa has a separate list for terrarians.
Plot twist, Santa-NK1 is the true hero of the story.

#2 The Dryad is also evil, I guess
The Dryad is supposed to be an ancient defender of Terraria, but she's hellbent on a crusade against the Crimson and Corruption, trying to spread the Hallow. The world tries to maintain balance, the Dryad is actively going against the will of this sentient world.
She is actively trying to kill the planet. If that doesn't put you on Santa's worst girl list, nothing does.

#3 Plothole for the sake of plotholes and other weird shenanigans
If the worlds of Terraria can sense everything upon them and the more agressive biomes are its tools for self defense. Why do these biome enemies kill rabbits and critters? Are critters inherently evil? Are critters possessing some sort of hidden power that could ruin the world?
Unicorns are bloodthirsty homocidal maniacs. I like that, that's the only original idea in this whole mess.
The Moonlord can't invade Terraria as long as the cultists live, which means the last guardians of Terraria are basicly the cultists themselves.
The mechanic is mentioned to be building cybernetic parts for Cthulhu, but she doesn't have a clue about cybernetics. The only NPCs who have any understanding of advanced machinery are the Steampunker and the Cyborg. The Mechanic doesn't have a single line that relates to this, quite the opposite, she was dying down there. Not forced to work and kept alive. Dying.
Nothing makes sense. Nothing connects to the game.
Almost everyone could write better than this. Even a random analphabet hobo from the streets can beat this level.

TLDR;
Terraria has an official non-canon joke lore now.

Edit:

Please, don't ask for that. This text is really stupid, anyone who cares about the story behind the game wants to stay away from this mess. We don't want to see or hear this ingame.

I agree with most of the thing you said, but I don't think that Relogic is doing everything they can to disappoint the playerbase because they released a really fun 1.3, they listen to the community, and they fix bugs and other glitches. This lore is really disappointing (I also am derping and cant remember what the celebration and SGMD are so I can't comment on them). But I don't feel that you should hate them in there entirety just because they made some mistakes. And anyways you can ignore the majority of their mistakes because they don't directly impact the game in a major way(I think), and hopefully they never will.

I wish all of this could be implemented into the game somehow.(especially the old-gen because we need some new updates there[pleaseplease])

I agree with most of the thing you said, but I don't think that Relogic is doing everything they can to disappoint the playerbase because they released a really fun 1.3, they listen to the community, and they fix bugs and other glitches. This lore is really disappointing (I also am derping and cant remember what the celebration and SGMD are so I can't comment on them). But I don't feel that you should hate them in there entirety just because they made some mistakes. And anyways you can ignore the majority of their mistakes because they don't directly impact the game in a major way(I think), and hopefully they never will.
The SDMG and the Celebration are the Moonlord ranged weapon drops. They underperform everything, included pre-MoonLord weapons in every single way. While the mages got a life desintegration laser, we got a low DPS dolphin that eats ammo for breakfast and a firework launcher that has the lowest range, accuracy and the low end of DPS of all rocket weapons. Joke weapons. Nothing else, but joke weapons.
We got trolled so hard, while everyone else got some nice weapons to play with.

Get hyped for new weapons.
Get trolled.
They really are trying their best to disappoint me and they are doing extremely well at it.
Traps all the time. I was excited to read about lore. Got trolled again.
That's ReLogic in a nutshell.

Never get hyped for anything in Terraria. Never. It's all going to be disappointment incarnate. Whenever 1.3.6 releases I'll have to make a copy of the old version before Steam updates.

I learned from my mistakes.

1.3.6 will be inferior to the already existing modded versions of the game in every aspect before tModLoader gets updated.

The same goes for the lore here.
We have some headcanon and fan theories already better than this. I'll stick to those. We just have to consider what to take as a canon instead of the official joke lore.

Last edited:
The SDMG and the Celebration are the Moonlord ranged weapon drops. They underperform everything, included pre-MoonLord weapons in every single way. While the mages got a life desintegration laser, we got a low DPS dolphin that eats ammo for breakfast and a firework launcher that has the lowest range, accuracy and the low end of DPS of all rocket weapons. Joke weapons. Nothing else, but joke weapons.
We got trolled so hard, while everyone else got some nice weapons to play with.

Get hyped for new weapons.
Get trolled.
They really are trying their best to disappoint me and they are doing extremely well at it.
Traps all the time. I was excited to read about lore. Got trolled again.
That's ReLogic in a nutshell.

Never get hyped for anything in Terraria. Never. It's all going to be disappointment incarnate. Whenever 1.3.6 releases I'll have to make a copy of the old version before Steam updates.

I learned from my mistakes.

1.3.6 will be inferior to the already existing modded versions of the game in every aspect before tModLoader gets updated.

The same goes for the lore here.
We have some headcanon and fan theories already better than this. I'll stick to those. We just have to consider what to take as a canon instead of the official joke lore.
Okay... I'm beginning to think you need to take a break from the game. The SDMG has always seemed like a good weapon to me. And the Last Prism eats Mana like nobody's business. You rangers can hold 999x4 ammo in specialized slots, and a pouch that gives literally infinite ammo, while mages don't get any of that for mana potions, on top of the Mana Sickness debuff. Besides, the Last Prism isn't even all that good compared to the Nebula weapons. Yes, Celebration is considered kind of a joke, but if I recall they already said they were going to fix that in 1.3.6.
Re-Logic isn't out to get you, you're being paranoid. Yeah, the lore was crummy. Lots of us have said so. It wasn't a personal attack against you.
Seriously, every Terraria update so far has brought a wealth of amazing new, free content, QoL changes, fixes, fan requests for features, and even things we didn't know we needed but now couldn't live without.

Yeah, modding will still find ways to improve the game, will still find ways to add far more, will still find ways to allow people to customize their experience to exactly their taste. That's what modding is. Don't like 1.3.6 when it comes out? Great! Keep a backup of your Terraria install folder elsewhere and use This Thing to launch it and you'll never have to play a new version again!

This is going off topic quite fast.
Anyways, my point is, this is not my canon story that's 100% sure and I prefer to pretend that this mess was never posted by a member of the development team.

It's fine to provide constructive criticism, but acting like the dev team committed a crime is not needed.
Constructive criticism, so you mean I should write a proper lore for the game, sacrificing days or even weeks to make it good and then get ignored by the devs like we get most of time. Not my cup of tea. Not anymore.
Spent way too much time already highlighting the plotholes on this piece, don't expect ReLogic to write a better replacement.
There are already way better explanations from the playerbase to everything in the game, they just preferred to ignore that. It would be tedious to read every fan theory I admit, but this, after 8 years. Not having a confirmed lore is better.
I'm about to reenter the dreamworld in which this topic doesn't exist.
If you excuse me.

The only thing I don't like about the lore is how inconsistent some things are
Like Cuthulu is so huge it had an skeleton that isn't even bigger than the Dungeon

Yeah. Several of these stuff doesn't seem to fit very well, because we all know that the final boss before was Skeletron and that they didn't had any idea of what Terraria was going to become

...... and where's my Destroyer Lore?

Constructive criticism, so you mean I should write a proper lore for the game, sacrificing days or even weeks to make it good and then get ignored by the devs like we get most of time. Not my cup of tea. Not anymore.
Spent way too much time already highlighting the plotholes on this piece, don't expect ReLogic to write a better replacement.
There are already way better explanations from the playerbase to everything in the game, they just preferred to ignore that. It would be tedious to read every fan theory I admit, but this, after 8 years. Not having a confirmed lore is better.
I'm about to reenter the dreamworld in which this topic doesn't exist.
If you excuse me.

I offered constructive criticism on 0 sleep without making an :red: of myself and was not required by anyone, least of all myself, to write out lore for the devs. The reason being:
1. It's not my job to fix what content the devs provide, but it is my personal mission to help the things I enjoy improve, even if I have to be a little harsh. You are not required to write out better lore, nor are you required to comment at all. However, you will be less likely to be heard if you are excessively aggressive in your assessment of new content.
2. Just as with literally everything the devs have made in the past, it will be updated, fixed, or otherwise addressed in some fashion. Yeah, new content sometimes sucks, and sometimes things slip through QA testing because most QA is testing the same thing over and over again to see if something happens, not often crossing over into other aspects of upcoming updates in the same way that players are likely to. Things will break, or be lackluster, but that is what further updates are for, and having a minimally positive and proactive comment or report will guarantee the devs will at least consider your words instead of dismiss you because you were being an :red:.
3. And regarding your reaction, that's all it is, a negative reaction, a 'this sucks and you suck' that, while not unfounded, is ultimately pointless because it's so negative, nobody in any official position would want to comment on it beyond 'tone it down'. And that's if a mod or admin thinks you're edging or breaking the rules. (Which in my professional opinion, I would tell you to tone it down just out of principle. There is no place in any forum for such negative and hostile words.)

The lore provided is not good, you don't have to be a genius to realize that. It feels rushed for the anniversary, and probably is as a result of executive meddling, if anything, and it's the very definition of creating a broken player base (some love it, some hate it.) Whether or not the devs notice or care is up to them, though I am more inclined to think they will care in some fashion because the devs aren't trolls, nor are they uncaring about their playerbase. (If they were, they wouldn't put any more time into the game, or, they would have made the content updates paid DLC. And let's be honest here, if it were paid DLC from the get-go, nobody would really complain because paid DLC is a fact of the gaming industry, and free content updates are a relatively recent concept.)
Chances are, this lore will not have any real impact on the game unless it's executive meddling and someone's making decisions that run counter to what the devs want. Which if it is, then I would hope at least someone is willing to point it out so that we know where to complain to instead of blanket bashing the entire dev team.

I dont know why everyone is interested about the lizhards im interested in the person who had the broken hero sword before it broke
Mothron ate that hero when 1.2 came out. End of the story.
[doublepost=1559475982,1559475755][/doublepost]
as a representative of the slime nation i am shocked and appalled that we, as a species were not mentioned. we have plenty of history from the creation of our race to the rise of the tyrannical slime king and how we slowly succumbed to the evils presence. we were the very first evolution in sentient life for globs sake!
Chill out, you're coming in the next part as well as spider nation

Then explain me the existence of Dart Traps, Gayzers, Boulders, Super Dart Traps, Flame Traps, Spear Traps, Spiky Ball Traps.
Ofc they want me to rage at this game if they added such things.
Thank you for cherry picking three words out of an entire post to take out of context. Those items you listed exist as obstacles, and in literally any other game would not be seen as a troll object. Now, if they all insta-killed you with no chance to even find them, then they'd be IWBTG levels of trolling, or if there was no way to disable them.

Everyone’s passion for the lore is obvious but certainly there are nicer ways of going about pointing out the issues. I mean, even the nicest post I’ve seen in here about it has been unnecessarily blunt/harsh. Y’all are acting like they said “we’re not releasing any more updates until the community approves of this” relax people, it’s for fun! You know, like a game?

Pretty sure a simple “that doesn’t make sense because (insert example here)” would’ve sufficed.

However, the Hallow is themed around the concept of Order, while the Corruption and Crimson are themed around Chaos. Two diametrically opposing forces that are extremes of either side of the concept of balance, which should be a harmonious existence of either. All three of these opposing forces do not make sense when you take into account that they're meant to bring balance.

It's odd though - the Hallow is also associated with chaos, one of its underground enemies being the Chaos Elemental. Light mummies and the Dao of Pow also inflict Confusion, but that's a weaker and less exclusive link between the Hallow and anarchy. Its indiscriminate (save for the jungle) devouring of purity and evil biomes in the name of light is essentially its modus operandi.
The corruption also gives off an air of some kind of order - all the enemies except recently-corrupted wildlife seem cut from the same cloth - brownish, amorphous monsters with no visible organs but eyes and fangs. Sure, it might be decaying, but it's all decaying the same way.
The crimson is definitely chaotic - most of its enemies look as if the biome would do whatever it takes to survive by infecting other beings, rather than digesting and creating its own legions. Its theme is also more chaotic than the corruption

The biome suggestions by Zoomo and Tovlyn, in my opinion, frame the different evils in a very interesting way by adding very thematic alternates. Non-canon food for thought.
Corruption (amorphous darkness) vs Hallow (chaotic light)
Crimson (fleshy anarchy) vs Cyber (mechanical order)
Contagion (blooming death) vs Covert (autumnal life)

Very neat lore. I'm about to basically sum it up but with some more at the end. This is just my take on it and some of you may have other interpretations.

What I'm gathering from it, is the crimson is something that just sorta exists in the world, except when the corruption is there? These are kinda like viruses, and the hallow is like an antivirus?

Okay so now the story bit. So Cthulu attacked, and the dryads tried to stop him, managed to damage him, causing him to retreat to the moon so he could regain his strength. But all but one of the dryads died but one, leaving the world vulnerable. The lunatic cultists then enslaved an entire city's worth of people, including the mechanic so she could build the twins, the destroyer, and skeletron prime to replace the pieces cthulu lost, but they were destroyed. The old man was also cursed to watch over the dungeon, until he was freed. After all this, the cultists tried to summon cthulu's army and himself. The cultists were defeated, but not unsuccessful. Cthulu's army stormed the world, until they were defeated. Then he returned. Twisted by the power of the moon, the Moon Lord attacked in a final battle for Terraria.

Back
Top Bottom