Items Grinding for really rare items is tedious , so ¡Fix it!

¿Do you agree with me?

• Total voters

Peril

Official Terrarian
Problems
¿
Did you ever tried to do an ankh shield?
If yes , you probably suffered a lot , but like a lot , maybe even just giving off

¿But why?

Grinding (Luck based)

If you don't know about grinding is : F***** doing the same thing OVER AND OVER AGAIN hoping to god that you get what you want (Actual definition of insanity)

a example of this is : ALL THE ITEMS TO MAKE THE ANKH SHIELD

Vitamins : 1% chance
Adhesive badge : 1% chance
Nazar : 1% chance
Trifold map : 1% chance
Armor polish : 1% chance
Bezoar : 1% chance
Mega phone : 1% chance
Fast clock : 1% chance

Not even counting all the specific enemies you need to kill to get all the accesories

lemme show you how rare is 1% =

Lets say that you have 1147 dogs , if lets say that you have 1% chance to don't kill all the dogs , if you tried to kill the dogs 1000 times : from all those 1000 times , you're going to kill them 10 times

but luck is random so you'll maybe try to kill all the dogs 1.000.000.000.000 times and don't kill all of them

Solutions

There are 3 solutions to me

First one:

Increase drop rates a little bit so expert mode players aren't overpowered but normal players aren't underpowered

Second one:

Make a way to craft rare things with a lot of easy to find things or just hard to find but not as hard , still having the drop rates of the enemies

Third one:

Delete the specific enemies drop rates and put them a bit higher on bosses (maybe still having the chances that those enemies can drop them or lowering of them enemies) or increase the types of enemies that can drop them and lower the chances of all the enemies overall

Enemies

Goodbye , remember to leave your opinion on the comments! please be polite and don't be mean to me

An easy solution would be to:
1. Add a loot token system for boss loot pools(or some sort of material) that lets us redeem any item we wish and not have to rely on luck.
2. Make the game increase the loot chance of an item linearly as you kill an enemy type. If the enemy type does not drop the certain item, then the chance goes up. Once the item finally drops, the loot chance will return to normal. It is possible that the chance of an item to drop will get to 100%, but that will take a sheer amount of misfortune and amount of enemies slaughtered.

I'm always for adding a better loot drop system, because the current one is irritating. I love this game, but I can't stand playing it at the moment because of the sheer amount of RNG involved with certain mechanics. I'm not going to waste my time trying to get a certain drop as that isn't fun. You could argue that it would make the game too easy, but time spent trying to get an item isn't necessarily difficulty, is it? Perhaps balancing certain drops to more or less powerful would be a better alternative to the difficulty issue?

An easy solution would be to:
1. Add a loot token system for boss loot pools(or some sort of material) that lets us redeem any item we wish and not have to rely on luck.
2. Make the game increase the loot chance of an item linearly as you kill an enemy type. If the enemy type does not drop the certain item, then the chance goes up. Once the item finally drops, the loot chance will return to normal. It is possible that the chance of an item to drop will get to 100%, but that will take a sheer amount of misfortune and amount of enemies slaughtered.

I'm always for adding a better loot drop system, because the current one is irritating. I love this game, but I can't stand playing it at the moment because of the sheer amount of RNG involved with certain mechanics. I'm not going to waste my time trying to get a certain drop as that isn't fun. You could argue that it would make the game too easy, but time spent trying to get an item isn't necessarily difficulty, is it? Perhaps balancing certain drops to more or less powerful would be a better alternative to the difficulty issue?
That's a pretty good idea ! (Second one)
but it goes up what certain amount? 0.5%? And in expert mode ?
I hope they fix loot chances in the final update to terraria , if not , it would be disappointing , and your idea is perfect for that!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
If you're grinding for an item, you do the same thing over and over again, but you will eventually get different results, although it can take a while if your luck is bad.

Anyway, if you're not getting the item you want, what you can do is brute-force the game into coughing it up. You can do so by building arenas for example, areas that are cleared of all tiles, with the exception of a 'biome bridge'. The game has no choice but to spawn enemies to the left and right of you, and you can quickly kill them without the need to travel to them. Add a water candle to that and you'll be going places.

Being able to directly manipulate the world by removing and placing tiles and by forcing enemies to spawn where you want them to spawn is a powerful thing and should be used to your advantage.

With a few item exceptions, I don't think drop rates are that bad. The items you list there are dropped from very common enemies, with the exception of the nazar, as enemies that drop that become very rare in hard mode. Admittedly, I do think that this item could have a higher drop rate from the swords/hammers/axes, in case someone wasn't wise enough to get one from cursed skulls in easy mode.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
If you're grinding for an item, you do the same thing over and over again, but you will eventually get different results, although it can take a while if your luck is bad.

Anyway, if you're not getting the item you want, what you can do is brute-force the game into coughing it up. You can do so by building arenas for example, areas that are cleared of all tiles, with the exception of a 'biome bridge'. The game has no choice but to spawn enemies to the left and right of you, and you can quickly kill them without the need to travel to them. Add a water candle to that and you'll be going places.

Being able to directly manipulate the world by removing and placing tiles and by forcing enemies to spawn where you want them to spawn is a powerful thing and should be used to your advantage.

With a few item exceptions, I don't think drop rates are that bad. The items you list there are dropped from very common enemies, with the exception of the nazar, as enemies that drop that become very rare in hard mode. Admittedly, I do think that this item could have a higher drop rate from the swords/hammers/axes, in case someone wasn't wise enough to get one from cursed skulls in easy mode.
Yeah farms are great but... tedious to do and i can't afk because i actually wan't to play terraria xd

And about the other thing , ye but with so much different accesories and enemies is kinda tEdIouS

All your points are good tho

Ankh Shield crafting is tedious? You didn't tried to make a cellphone then.
I actually tried to do that one first , then i gave up because ... fishing

But ankh shield has all of it igredients (without counting the shields) a dropping chance of 1% . They are equally as painful to craft

I actually tried to do that one first , then i gave up because ... fishing

But ankh shield has all of it igredients (without counting the shields) a dropping chance of 1% . They are equally as painful to craft
Not really, I find it more doable than the Cellphone. At least for the Ankh Shield, you don't need to do fishing quests for five in-game days, for a chance of getting one of the three accessories you need to craft it, summing to the fact that you can get a repeated accessory.

But that's other case, and I don't mind grinding so... Just saying.

Not really, I find it more doable than the Cellphone. At least for the Ankh Shield, you don't need to do fishing quests for five in-game days, for a chance of getting one of the three accessories you need to craft it, summing to the fact that you can get a repeated accessory.

But that's other case, and I don't mind grinding so... Just saying.
Oh yeah , fishing is the worst thing in the game ,
So arguably so xd

The pocket guide, sextant, and weather radio are definitely another story.
There have been suggestions that the angler should give tokens as a reward, and give him a store to spend these tokens.
This would remove the silly randomness of these quest rewards.

You can still make it easier on yourself: By fishing 10-20 quest fish per day, and having 10-20 characters turn in one of these fish, you'll get a lot of quest rewards every day.
But I feel there should be an easier way than to having to create a lot of extra characters.

That token idea isn't good, It will end up grindier because you'd have to complete an specific amount of quests to acquire tokens and then be able to buy one of the items. Includding the fact that it give a bad mmorpg vibe.

By the way, the thread isn't about the cellphone items.

That token idea isn't good, It will end up grindier because you'd have to complete an specific amount of quests to acquire tokens and then be able to buy one of the items. Includding the fact that it give a bad mmorpg vibe.

By the way, the thread isn't about the cellphone items.
Complete nonsense. Right now you can end up with 20 sextants and no weather radio. If you would have gotten tokens for these 21 quest fish, you could have spent it on a sextant, weather radio, and have plenty of tokens to buy other quest rewards. There's no valid reason to dislike this idea, ever.
"Includding the fact that it give a bad mmorpg vibe."
You're not stating a fact, you're stating an opinion.

As for your last remark: The title of this thread is "Grinding for really rare items is tedious". There are no items more tedious to get than the angler's rewards.

Complete nonsense. Right now you can end up with 20 sextants and no weather radio. If you would have gotten tokens for these 21 quest fish, you could have spent it on a sextant, weather radio, and have plenty of tokens to buy other quest rewards. There's no valid reason to dislike this idea, ever.
"Includding the fact that it give a bad mmorpg vibe."
You're not stating a fact, you're stating an opinion.

As for your last remark: The title of this thread is "Grinding for really rare items is tedious". There are no items more tedious to get than the angler's rewards.
I'll step away from this thread, to avoid further derailing. But I still dislike the idea.

I love it when people get salty about being unlucky with rare drops, and then they suggest to remove grinding entirely.

P.S: That attempt of an explanation gave me a headache.

I love it when people get salty about being unlucky with rare drops, and then they suggest to remove grinding entirely.

P.S: That attempt of an explanation gave me a headache.
I don't want to be that guy but
Actually i wan't to make grinding better and not remove it

btw please say what is bad with the explanation so i can fix it xd

Reactions: Bry
Well if you want to make grinding less tedious then the first solution is the best one: Increase the drop rates a bit. The second one (Making the rare items craftable) is the one that removes grinding entirely, while the 3rd one to move the drops to bosses is just odd and unfitting for them.

Tbh the only grind problems the game has are the Rod of Discord and Angler Quests, and those have more solutions than the typical "make it craftable or dropped by a boss"

Well , you would still need to grind , but not as much because you would need a lot of intermediate to encounter items a craft them but yeah , maybe by a little bit removes grinding

And about the 3rd one , i agree , well mostly , but the 2nd solution in the 3rd is maybe better(?) , for me atleast

That's a pretty good idea ! (Second one)
but it goes up what certain amount? 0.5%? And in expert mode ?
I hope they fix loot chances in the final update to terraria , if not , it would be disappointing , and your idea is perfect for that!
There is a potion in a mod called a Zerg potion it’s a better battle potion and is like 3x faster spawns. I think this would help a lot

Back
Top Bottom