Terraria Future and Spoilers Discussion Thread

Which update do you think was/is the most important one so far?

Votes: 113 13.7%

Votes: 352 42.7%

Votes: 358 43.4%

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
Well, with 1.3 out now for many years, let's look back and answer the question being asked: Which update do you think was/is the most important one so far?

Before answering, I want to note that the question is not which update is the "best"; it says "most important". With that being understood, I say that the most important update is:

Version 1.2

I have several reasons for that:

1. It revived Terraria after development on it seemingly shut down. The 1.2 update proved that Terraria was viable again during the long dark times when 1.1 seemed like the end. 1.3 didn't really prove anything. Oh, it was good, but it wasn't a signal that the game's development had escaped stagnation or anything.

2. It defined a fundamental direction for how Terraria updates would work, which later updates would use as templates moving forward.

Terraria 1.1 was clearly designed to allow a player on an existing world to experience most if not all of the 1.1 content without having to start over. It added content almost exclusively to the end of the game through Hardmode. It refreshed existing worlds.

But 1.2 didn't. While it added plenty of Hardmode content, it added plenty of content throughout the various eras of play. But the only way to experience that content was to create a new world, since much of said content was world-generation-based.

And that difference in direction is a big deal. Playing a 1.2 world is a vastly different experience from a 1.1 world, in a way that 1.1 worlds were not compared to 1.0 (until you get to the new stuff, of course). We also see that 1.3 kept this holistic approach to its content. It added more end-game content, but it also added content throughout the game. Just like 1.2.

3. It solved one of the biggest problems with Terraria 1.0/1.1: a general lack of diversity of content. The underground areas in 1.0 could get really samey-feeling. Just an endless series of room after room after room of the same dirt and rock, occasionally interspersed with some random ores or gems. Occasionally, you'd encounter a ruined cabin or something, but for the most part, one place in the underground was the same as another. The overworld, by contrast, has a fairly decent number of biomes, even in 1.1: desert, corruption, jungle, and even snow.

But the lack of content diversity goes farther than just the environments. Terraria 1.0 and 1.1 just didn't have all that much stuff in it. Oh, it had some stuff, but not a whole lot.

1.2 changed all of that. It added tons of stuff underground. It added the frozen underground to spice things up, as well as a number of mini-biomes to encounter along the way. It added early-game magic weapons, making early mage builds possible. And so forth. 1.2 created a diversity of experience that 1.1 lacked. And we can see that 1.3 added more to this, with more mini-biomes and the like.

All in all, 1.3 was like 1.2, only more. And while "more" is good, the originator is ultimately the most "important".

Alright ladies, more spoilers at the 17th of May 2019. I couldn't post this earlier due to technical problems.

New Character Select: https://media.discordapp.net/attach...011956588545/image0.png?width=1234&height=570

New World Creation: https://media.discordapp.net/attach...039995248672/image0.png?width=1234&height=570

Sauce: Spoilers 17th May

• There likely won't be any more mechanical bosses due to Mechanic being freed. This makes sense with Lore.
  • Moon Lord is Cthulhu's little brother Steve (ahahaha)
  • Otherworld is dead and buried
  • The game releases "between now and December" because there's "one more big thing to do"
  • Yorai made a new base for a fancy new magic weapon
  • The devs have not played Calamity. *gasp*
  • Terrariums and Jars will only be placeable on top of eachother if the sprites line up.
  • Red's ready to be done after this update, will work on another Game
  • Red is a sassy ginger
  • Nurse's healing has been adjusted (it's based on progress?), it costs you "all the armor"
  • Lihzahrd used to be more like people, isolated themselves in their temple and made the Golem for self protection against sensed "impending doom"
  • There will be between 0 and 10 more bosses
  • Red regrets the Nurse - feels she's like obsolete
  • Diablonar is an edgy bastard - quoted the :red:'s "suggestions" in the pic

Last edited:
So, spoilers from the E3 thing so far:
Moss is an item, 3 names have been shown: Xeyon Krypton and argon.
3 new minecarts.
Official bossbars! Hooray!
New Master Mode, harder then expert mode. Unknown how this changes things.
New character customization screen.
Golf being able to be played.
New weapons.
A new mini boss/boss called “Blood nautilus” summoned by fishing on a blood moon. Seems to be fought early hard mode judging by the adamite stuff the character is using.
Over 800 new items.
A bestiary which includes a description for each enemy in the game. Seems to be unlocked upon killing an enemy. (Hunters journal for hollow knight peeps)
Glowing mushrooms hanging from ceiling.
A new weapon called the storm spear.
A pinwheel (Funiture) that spins in the wind.
A bunny kite.
COMING 2019. This ALSO is no longer 1.3.6. It’s 1.4!

Last edited:
Master Mode is my new default. They better let us start out with it.

Cenx said on chat that Terraria update releases Q4 Fiscal.

Quote from Sakujo: "There'll be some new mini-bosses too which are coming in along with a new world-generation system."

Eater of Worlds body segment had max 315 hp in the trailer. That tells you whether or not Master Mode increases hp.

EDIT: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/251116850132287490/587710869043937280/cute_cloud.png Bunny cloud

https://i.imgur.com/V4OCG92.png Faraway character indicator

E3 footage: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/251116850132287490/587710981526781966/video.mov

Last edited:
If Master mode is just another lazy increase health and damage mode I'd be very disappointed. But everything else looks great.

Agreed, I want buffer badder versions of everything.

I've been annoyed that when you try to dig a hellevator with a friend, and you one-hit destroy blocks, you often end up attacking the same block and effectively breaking it at the same time, meaning you dig at half optimal speed.
You have to then fickle and time so that you end up digging alternate blocks.

I bet the Terraria 1.4 Smart Cursor pickaxe experience Multiplayer buff is a change that makes it so that Smart Cursor tries to not target the same block as your friend, at least if that block doesn't take much damage to destroy. Otherwise, your Smart Cursor will effectively make you attack something that breaks right before you hit it, instead of making you both effectively take different blocks each.

I wonder if they'll make it so you don't end up picking the block a friend is hooked onto as well, or standing on it.

Yes people, you saw it coming. A new place to discuss the future and spoilers of Terraria. It's odd that this thread didn't exist already.

As always, this is a multi-platform thread. We're not discussing solely console- or PC-specific content, everything goes here, also because the consoles tend to adapt to the PC version anyway.

Keep in mind the Poll is speculative, you may change your opinion over time, hence why I offer 1.3 as an answer! You can change your mind and revote later.

This thread is intended for posting spoilers, as well as speculative inputs.
wow

A new place for spoilers. 5 years ago. Anyways let's get in to this. I'd like to say a few things pertaining to 1.4. I love the cool new stuff but I do not expect a harder boss then the moon Lord because of the official lore. Next up, I disagree with the devs on the part where 1.4 is the last update. While otherworld got cancelled, Terraria 2 Is not cancelled. The wiki states a small team will continue on the original Terraria. Also, they said 1.1 and 1.3 would be the final one. I do not think it is smart to end this Terraria. After that, I have a speculation of the upcoming sword topping meowmere. It likely does not contain meowmere as a material. I believe that it could actually contain star wrath and it has been states that it is a final craft to the Terra blade. Expect luminite and maybe other stuff in the crafting recipe. One more thing. I think Terraria should add mod support and leaving this out will probably be a mistake. I love the calamity mod and the other mods like thorium and shadows of abbadon. I really want to play mods on other devices like Xbox one or switch.

A new place for spoilers. 5 years ago. Anyways let's get in to this. I'd like to say a few things pertaining to 1.4. I love the cool new stuff but I do not expect a harder boss then the moon Lord because of the official lore. Next up, I disagree with the devs on the part where 1.4 is the last update. While otherworld got cancelled, Terraria 2 Is not cancelled. The wiki states a small team will continue on the original Terraria. Also, they said 1.1 and 1.3 would be the final one. I do not think it is smart to end this Terraria. After that, I have a speculation of the upcoming sword topping meowmere. It likely does not contain meowmere as a material. I believe that it could actually contain star wrath and it has been states that it is a final craft to the Terra blade. Expect luminite and maybe other stuff in the crafting recipe. One more thing. I think Terraria should add mod support and leaving this out will probably be a mistake. I love the calamity mod and the other mods like thorium and shadows of abbadon. I really want to play mods on other devices like Xbox one or switch.
-They have mentioned there will be an upgrade to the TerraBlade, so that may be the case
-Mod support is very difficult on consoles and it's been made pretty clear that it is likely not going to happen

-They have mentioned there will be an upgrade to the TerraBlade, so that may be the case
-Mod support is very difficult on consoles and it's been made pretty clear that it is likely not going to happen
Though it may be difficult, it hasn't been said to be impossible.

1.4 looks to be an exciting update, the Block Swap and Void Vault features in particular appeal to me a lot.

This thread is 5 years old and im still commenting.

It is fine to post on old Threads, but we also require members to add relevant content that contributes to the Thread discussion. Posting to just point out how old the Thread is does not contribute to the discussion. Please ensure that your posts contribute to the Thread topic next time.

I can't wait for the new boss and miniboss the JE update will bring!
Though we will have to wait until a compatibility update for Tmodloader releases for 1.4, but that's fine!

Back
Top Bottom