Official Welcome to the new forum look!

Tunnel King

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, here we are with a new coat of paint and some new toys to kick around.

We're still cleaning up some dust, so you might still see a few links and things pointing to the wrong places.

We're also aware of three fairly major 'wrong' things:

1. Data table BBcode formatting is very broken. We are extremely sorry about this, and the only way they can be fixed is manually, everywhere they are used.
The previous BBcode for tables was provided by an add-on and was non-standard; now the native BBCode is what is supported. There was no importer available to make this seamless.
You can see the new table BBcode here: BB codes

2. We are aware that reaction scores do not match the number of likes you had before. We're still scratching our heads over this one, Most people will see fewer 'reactions', but some actually seemed to gain some. We are still looking into what happened with that and if it can be restored.

3. On profiles, embedded images/videos that were posted before the update will not appear embedded now. They will only appear as URLs/links. The auto-embedding occurs when the post is made, and cannot be expanded retroactively (which is the case post-update). However, the poster can simply edit the post and save it without changes; that will trigger the auto-embed to happen again. Again, this is only for profiles, not for threads.

We also know that everyone has to re-accept the Privacy and Terms of Service (this was intentional), and that your favorite forum theme was reset to the default (they were painstakingly rebuilt from scratch). There's no longer a need to choose between a 'fixed' and 'normal' theme; one version will adjust to your display now.

The next post outlines many of the new features we have, and we've (hastily) revamped our Community User Guides as well.

So tell us what you think in the thread here. We're learning about a lot of this stuff as well.

We've started a new thread for reporting forum bugs and issues here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/tcf-forum-bug-list-reporting-v2.83188/

Last edited:
New Features September 26, 2019
Table of Contents
  • Rich Text Editor for Profiles
  • Code Formatting
  • Reactions
  • Bookmarks
  • Tags
  • Conversation Sorting
    • Labels
    • Rules
    • Auto Response
  • Push Notification Support
  • Better Mobile Layout
  • Emoji Support
kdcROYP.png

Rich Text Editor for Profiles

Before when either creating a status message or posting a comment on a profile or profile post you were provided with no way to format anything. We used something on the old version of the forums to help support some BBCode but it wasn't perfect. Now, with full RTE support you not only have access to every BBCode being usable on profiles but you have an incredibly wide range of formatting options at your disposal.

LcSJhhr.png

Rich Text Editor Use

There's a lot of nifty functions that can be preformed using the Rich Text Editor. The Rich Text Editor is used whenever you create a thread, reply to an existing thread, make a profile post, comment on an existing profile post, or creating a private message to send to another user. This section of the guide will help you master the many possible formatting options you can use to create a tidy and readable post.

• Remove Formatting
    85fR0Wq.png
    : The default function of copy and paste is to keep all formatting the original text and layout had, but what if you only wanted the plain text of another post or webpage so that you could format it exactly how you want it? Clicking this button will revert the text to the Rich Text Editors most basic and default format.
  • Bold (ctrl+B)
    pD2zZFi.png
    : Clicking this button will thicken the words for emphasis or other purposes.
  • Italicize (ctrl+I)
    QpIm7EX.png
    : Clicking this button will slant the words for sub-text or other purposes.
  • Underline (ctrl+U)
    kx2DAqI.png
    : Clicking this button will underline all the words for emphasis, sub-titles, or other purposes.
  • Strike (ctrl+S)
    HcuBVi7.png
    : Clicking this button will put a line through all the words for soft redacting information or other purposes.
  • Text Color
    F3CSO1x.png
    : Clicking this button will open a menu that will allow you to choose the color of your text. You can use any of the per-determined color options or even select the color based off of hexadecimal values.
  • Font Size
    5XJiQU6.png
    : Clicking this button will open a menu that will allow you to choose the size of your text based on the most common point formats.
  • Font Family
    0EyKYjr.png
    : Clicking this button will open a menu that will allow you to choose the style of your text based on the most common font families.
  • Insert Link (ctrl+K)
    w6zVFSx.png
    : Clicking this button will open up a menu that will allow you to embed a link into your words.
  • Insert Image (ctrl+P)
    sV4lRN2.png
    : Clicking this button will allow you to insert an image, it has two options. The first option will allow you to select an image located on your computer that will then be uploaded to our site so that it can be used in the post. The second option will allow you to enter in an image url that is already being hosted on another site to use in your post.
  • Smilies
    70pfxV4.png
    : Clicking this button will open a menu that will allow you to choose an emotional reaction from some of your favorite Terraria characters. ;)
  • Insert
    tdEs6K6.png
    : Clicking this button will open up a menu that actually has a lot of different unique options. Let's go over them.
    • A0ytR5t.png
      allows you to insert audio or video clips into your post that a user can play.
    • TSQj7Fc.png
      allows you to insert a styilized text box that indicates you are quoting another user.
    • HJRfSRg.png
      allows you to insert a collapsable text box in the form of a button that can be used to condense or hide information in your post.
    • fXVwV2o.png
      allows you to insert blacked out text for hiding information in your post.
    • uRJfLtU.png
      Code:
      Will pull up a menu that will allow you to select a coding language (which will be automatically formatted)Once the language is select simply start typing out your code for others to see and hit continue once you are finished.
    • LDnRUwJ.png
      Will allow you to use general code in line with your other text rather than putting it in it's own code box.
  • Alignment
    8cdUupT.png
    : Clicking this button allows you to select whether you want the text on the left side of the post (left aligned), center of the post (centered), or right side of the post (right aligned)
  • List
    xVxgl9a.png
    : Clicking this button will open a menu that will allow you to have either an numbered list, an unordered list (bullet points); or even create an indent or outdent.
  • Insert Table
    BlQdky0.png
    : Clicking this button will open up a menu that will allow you to create a table that can help structure your formatting similar to a spreadsheet.
  • Undo (ctrl+Z)
    K58w1uE.png
    : Clicking this undoes the last action you took, whether that was typing out text or adding/removing formatting.
  • Redo (ctrl+shift+Z)
    SrzlinK.png
    : Clicking this redoes the last action you took, whether that was typing out text or adding/removing formatting. This essentially acts as undoing your undo.
  • Drafts
    rPiEzz2.png
    : Clicking this opens up a menu that will allow you to save your potential post as a draft so that you can come back to it later or even delete your most recently saved draft in case you no longer wish to post what you were going to post.
  • Toggle BB Code
    iTeVwgT.png
    : Switches the Rich Text Editor to a BBCode editor. Chances are, you won't use this very often if ever.

kdcROYP.png

Code Formatting

Previously code support was incredibly generic. Now we have automatic code formatting from some of the more common languages Including:
  • General (the old format for those who prefer that their code wasn't automatically formatted)
  • BBCode
  • CSS
  • HTML
  • Javascript
  • PHP
  • Apache Config
  • Bash
  • C
  • C-like
  • CoffeeScript
  • C++
  • C#
  • Diff
  • HTTP
  • INI
  • Java
  • JSON
  • LESS
  • MakeFile
  • Markdown (Github Flavored)
  • NGINX
  • Objective-C
  • Perl
  • Python
  • Ruby
  • Sass
  • SCSS
  • SQL
  • Swift
  • XML
  • AppleScript
  • ASP.Net
  • Git
  • JSX
  • Wiki
  • YAML
To use this new formatting, simply click Insert
tdEs6K6.png
at the top and select Code.
uRJfLtU.png
Then in the new Windows that pops up select your desired coding language and begin typing away.

C#:
// A Hello World! program in C#.
using System;
namespace HelloWorld
{
    class Hello
    {
        static void Main()
        {
            Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");

// Keep the console window open in debug mode.
            Console.WriteLine("Press any key to exit.");
            Console.ReadKey();
        }
    }
}

kdcROYP.png

Reactions

Reactions replace the old like system. Sometimes you may want to show another user a wider range of appreciation or concern than simply a "like" will justify. At the bottom right of every post is a button that says "like". Simply clicking it will give the post the default like, however, hovering over the like button will show you all available reactions.

Like (default choice, adds +1 to reaction score):
7wahwqa.png

Love (adds +1 to reaction score):
2yWL0Pn.gif

Haha (adds +1 to reaction score):
EStqQhk.gif

Wow (adds +1 to reaction score):
oeotJl3.gif

Sad (does not contribute to reaction score):
v9TgUV1.gif

Angry (does not contribute to reaction score):
XiUAbO1.png

kdcROYP.png

Bookmarks

Have a post or thread that you find yourself coming back to over and over? Bookmarking is a great way to keep track of all the posts important to you. Here we'll go over how to Bookmark something and how to view all of your Bookmarks in one simple place.

NHI7939.png

In the top right corner of every post is a little Bookmark button. Simply click it to open the Bookmark menu and add it as a Bookmark.

zibD6KF.png

In the Bookmark menu you have two optional text boxes you can use to help sort through and filter all your Bookmarks. While not necessary it's recommended you fill these out in the event you find yourself using Bookmarks frequently.

divider.png

Accessing your Bookmarks

Viewing your bookmarks is really easy. To view your bookmarks simply click your username in the top right of the screen to open the account options menu. Then click the "Bookmarks" tab to open the preview of your most recent Bookmarks. From here you can either:

• Enter in a label search term to filter out all Bookmarks without said label.
  • Click the Bookmark to take you to the post.
  • Click the gear icon to open a menu where you can delete, edit, or copy the link of the Bookmark.
  • Click the "Show All" link in the bottom left to be taken to the full Bookmark Page with a complete list of your Bookmarks.
lXkbgfx.png

kdcROYP.png

Tags

Tags are a good way to help other users find your content. Tags can be automatically applied or, manually applied. When you go to create a thread you should now see an option that allows you to enter tags. Keep tags specific, appropriate, and descriptive of the threads content so that users can find your new thread.

9KAjObC.png

Note: for now, we have thread tagging disabled, and we hope to introduce them soon.

kdcROYP.png

Conversation Sorting

There are several things you can do to keep your inbox looking tidy. This section of the guide will cover Creating and Managing the Label system, creating Sorting Rules, and setting up Auto responses.

Labels

D0rawsp.png

Labels are a sort of folder that will allow you to tag various conversations with certain prefixes which will sort them into specific folders. To create a new label simply click on "Labels" on the left side your inbox. Then click "Create Label" to pull up the creation menu.

wEKZjNR.png

• First you need to name your label, this part is pretty self explanatory. Just type the name of the label into the first text box.
  • Secondly, we need to select a label Icon. We have several colors and icons available for you to choose. Please note the icon will only show up in the conversation message itself. It will not appear in the Labels list or in the folder itself.
  • Lastly we need to select a number for the display order. This determines where in your label list it shows up. In our exmaple we put the number 5 which means it will appear 5th in our list.
To sort the messages you receive and apply a label You'll first need to open your general inbox by selecting it on the left. Then click the small checkbox to the left of the number of replies/participants. Now click "Selected" in the top right to open the inline menu. Click the drop down box on the bottom and select "Apply Label" to open the menu that will allow you to choose a label.

wFSr5Ew.png

To view all messages with a specific label simply click the name of the label on the left to open it's folder.

S8P0xCB.png

divider.png

Rules

Rjj6Knx.png

Rules can take specific guidelines and phrases and then apply various actions to any and all messages you receive that trigger a rule. These actions can be applying a label, leaving the conversation (effectivley deleting it as soon as the message is received), or suppressing the unread alert to deny a notification. To create a rule click "Rules" on the left hand side then click "Create Rule" in the top right.

iyPCtkx.png

• First you need to name the rule, make it specific enough so that you can remember what the rule does.
  • Next decide whether you want the rule in play now, or later. Leave the box checked that says "Rule Active" to keep it turned on.
  • Now decide whether only one of the criteria needs to be met for the action to be taken (any) or if ALL of them need to simultaneously triggered for the action to be taken (all).
  • It's time to decide the criteria that needs to be met. Leave any of the boxes blank to keep them disabled, otherwise fill out the boxes and be sure to read the descriptors underneath the text box to better understand what needs to be entered there.
  • Finally it's time to choose an action that is taken. You can be apply a label, leave the conversation (effectivley deleting it as soon as the message is received), or suppressing the unread alert to deny a notification.
divider.png

Auto Response

0S6JtuI.png

On vacation? Want to automatically let users know if you are unavailable or if certain types of messages should be redirected somewhere else? Then you'll want to use this function. Simply click Auto Response on the left hand side to start setting up your response rule.

To begin select a start date which will decide when the auto responses start and an end date to decide when the auto responses won't send. Then type the message the user will receive and that's it! Pretty simple stuff.

kdcROYP.png

Mobile Improvements

Push Notifications

We have some pretty cool new additions for our mobile users as well, one of them being Push Notifications. This can be set up and managed through the Preferences Page. While you can fully customize what you get a push notification for it's possible to make it so that anything that would trigger an alert is now sent straight to your smartphone.

BO9A4F4.png

divider.png

Improved Mobile Layout

The mobile layout has been significantly improved, before the mobile layout simply squished everything down. Now the most important elements are kept, menu's and navigation are easier to access, and we're left with a much cleaner experience than ever before.

GqRYLXq.png
cD3zw1C.png

GqRYLXq.png

cD3zw1C.png

divider.png

Emoji Support

You can now add a bit of emoji flavor to any and all of your posts on mobile. Simply insert an emoji the same way you would insert an emoji in a text message

lGah3sR.png

kdcROYP.png

Last edited by a moderator:
2. We are aware that reaction scores do not match the number of likes you had before. We're still scratching our heads over this one, Most people will see fewer 'reactions', but some actually seemed to gain some. We are still looking into what happened with that and if it can be restored.
Could it maybe be something to do with the removed social groups? That the likes from that are completely removed or something like that? I have no clue, just giving an option.

Could it maybe be something to do with the removed social groups? That the likes from that are completely removed or something like that? I have no clue, just giving an option.
We thought about that, but why weren't they removed in the last update? And why did some people end up with more likes than before? We're still puzzled and looking for answers.

I'm quickly loving the new forum look. Idk if the new update will change how active I am though despite my being in love with it.

We thought about that, but why weren't they removed in the last update? And why did some people end up with more likes than before? We're still puzzled and looking for answers.
It was an old plugin, there's no telling what kind of wonkiness was going on with it. The formal upgrade/maintenance may have just forced a proper reaction score re-tally. I know that on much older forum software you'd have to manually re-synchronize postcount every so often if entire subforums got deleted or hidden or whatever.

There could also have been parts of the site where likes just weren't being counted before now. To my knowledge, likes are on all posts, including profile posts and private messages. My first guess would be likes existing on stuff like profile post responses/PM likes not counting, but that doesn't account for likes being removed as well as being added.

It is extremely confusing. Without knowledge of how Xenforo handles like tallies I can't begin to theorize anything more (and I'm far from a professional when it comes to system internals administration, I just manage communities and strike the fear of God into hooligans).

My only suggestion would be looking into accounts where their likes increased and seeing if they had different posting habits compared to people who have the same reaction counts, or people with lower reaction counts, but that's likely to be much, much more effort in than reward out, so for now unless problems arise it's probably not worth putting much stock into.

Last edited:
Why is the text so hard to read now? It's like this light grey font on top of a light brown background, I could have sworn there was greater contrast before

This new forums looks quite bigger for my taste, but the new mechanics and looks are so freaking awesome.
Btw, the title of The Guide account should be "As Himself".

I just have a problem with alerts because they might not show automatically, while they sometimes still do. I'm not sure what the reason is, but it's a thing for me.

the new forum is great but this is a thing for some reason
Безымянный.png

also please return the fully expandable giant signatures

Last edited:
Not sure what to think of the changes to the color selector, reduced colors is not something I like, but there's also the hex code input thingy thingy I do like.

I'm back. I feared I can't use it in opera mini anymore, but it's not unusable! It is very great right now. I will report some problems I encounter but first, I want to thank you all for new look!

Why is the text so hard to read now? It's like this light grey font on top of a light brown background, I could have sworn there was greater contrast before

I don't believe we see the same thing on our end, could you screenshot what you see on your end so I may compare?

I find this new font harder to read. If possible I would like to have the old font as an option.

Do you mean font color or style? What theme are you using that you believe it is harder to read?

Last edited:
For me the text renders like this (using the default Overworld theme):
1569619638180.png

I find this font harder to read compared to the old font. It is harder on the eyes as the strokes are thinner and more dense. Switching to the Underground theme helps readability a bit, but for me the old font was better. I'm reading on a 1920x1080 screen btw.

For me the text renders like this (using the default Overworld theme):
View attachment 227315
I find this font harder to read compared to the old font. It is harder on the eyes as the strokes are thinner and more dense. Switching to the Underground theme helps readability a bit, but for me the old font was better. I'm reading on a 1920x1080 screen btw.

Please check the readability now, do you feel like this is an improvement?

@Lord Garak, do you agree this is also easier to read? I remember you also made the same suggestion, or were you specifically talking about the font colors for the Overworld theme?

Back
Top Bottom