Terraria State of the Game: October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just it. If they do release 1.4 for PS4/XB1 simultaneously with PC, it'll prove that 1.4 has been ready for a while for the PC, and they deliberately withheld it to let the console versions catch up.
There's no way what would happen. 1.4 is made up of over a year of work and it's impossible for them to port that to console in just a month. Console will get 1.3.4 in november and pc will get 1.4 in december/possibly early next year.

I just wish I had block swap... That's all I'm wanting atm. I can wait for 100+ items but I just want a block swap update that would hold me over for 100 hours.
I wouldn't mind that, if the update also fixes hardmode corruption/hallow so that's it's random again.

What do you mean by not random though? Like which biome is on which side or the position or what?
Both, if I recall correctly (this was a while ago). Which side spawns hallow/corruption is always the same for a world if you go back and fight WoF repeatedly. I think the position is more or less fixed too, though I don't really remember.

Both, if I recall correctly (this was a while ago). Which side spawns hallow/corruption is always the same for a world if you go back and fight WoF repeatedly. I think the position is more or less fixed too, though I don't really remember.
Oh, pretty sure I read that was an intentional change. The hardmode V is randomized at world creation, not when you defeat the wall of flesh.

Oh, pretty sure I read that was an intentional change. The hardmode V is randomized at world creation, not when you defeat the wall of flesh.
Really? I remember raising the issue with ?Leinfors? and he was going to check whether it was intentional or not. But that was quite a while ago, and I haven't heard anything more about it since.

I understand that pets supposed to be a decorative, but really the topic of additional functionality wasn’t raised anywhere?
I do not use them, because they don't give me some benefits and sometimes disturb me
But what if... i don't know.. if bunny would dig dirt sometimes and give me potion, or silver coin? Sapling would grow grass like a flower boots, baby skeleton could give some chance to double shot, parrot could give add a little heigh in jump (he would grab the player by the shoulders with his paws for a few blocks) and so on
I would like to see them more interesting and useful

What do you think?

I understand that pets supposed to be a decorative, but really the topic of additional functionality wasn’t raised anywhere?
I do not use them, because they don't give me some benefits and sometimes disturb me
But what if... i don't know.. if bunny would dig dirt sometimes and give me potion, or silver coin? Sapling would grow grass like a flower boots, baby skeleton could give some chance to double shot, parrot could give add a little heigh in jump (he would grab the player by the shoulders with his paws for a few blocks) and so on
I would like to see them more interesting and useful

What do you think?
Console did this for a while, and I don't want it simply because it makes me choose a functional pet over a pet I would like better. Imagine if wore a tiki set, but instead of the tiki pet, I wore a baby skeleton. It'd kill the theme I had going on, but I wouldn't have much choice, considering the additional effects.

Console did this for a while, and I don't want it simply because it makes me choose a functional pet over a pet I would like better. Imagine if wore a tiki set, but instead of the tiki pet, I wore a baby skeleton. It'd kill the theme I had going on, but I wouldn't have much choice, considering the additional effects.
So there are two ways to go:
1) Make the additional effects more suitable for sets, or maybe add some set bonus with pets
2) Make effects not so powerful to influence very much on a gameplay
And by the way, this is a nice compromise between a players who love having themes and a players (like me, for example) who doesn't care so much about theme and just never use pets because of uselessness, imho
I think it won't be bad to have some little bonuses, if you don't like some unusual bonuses as I've described above it could look like just +10 HP or +5 Minion Damage
Nicely? yes. Poorly? I don't think so.

What do you think?

So there are two ways to go:
1) Make the additional effects more suitable for sets, or maybe add some set bonus with pets
2) Make effects not so powerful to influence very much on a gameplay
And by the way, this is a nice compromise between a players who love having themes and a players (like me, for example) who doesn't care so much about theme and just never use pets because of uselessness, imho
I think it won't be bad to have some little bonuses, if you don't like some unusual bonuses as I've described above it could look like just +10 HP or +5 Minion Damage
Nicely? yes. Poorly? I don't think so.

What do you think?
I think even small differences can carry people over. I remember back in my console days, I was trading with anyone to get a bat pat for that extra 2 dps.

That's just it. If they do release 1.4 for PS4/XB1 simultaneously with PC, it'll prove that 1.4 has been ready for a while for the PC, and they deliberately withheld it to let the console versions catch up.

Can't imagine many PC players would be happy about this fact.

But it's more about the fact that we are getting complete garbage information, while they are basically dumping lots of info on all they are doing for all other versions of Terraria. And the SotG just keeps dragging out longer each month.

PC players are waiting weeks at a time and they give us a bare pittance of information.

...Or it means that porting content is faster than the creation and QA of new content. I get you're excited but please remember to be respectful to the people at Relogic working hard to give you a free update. Them waiting to release a completed update doesn't really benefit them in any way shape or form. Also remember that they reserve the right to keep as many secrets about the update as they wish. Just because they wish not to spoil everything being released in 1.4 does not mean you are getting "garbage" information.

There's so much information we as the regular public don't have access to, we don't know the ups and downs of development or the difficulty there of. Don't pretend to have all the facts and then blame it as malicious intentions or actions from the staff.

We'll get the update when it's ready to be released and when it's a product that the team members at Relogic are proud of. It's much better to wait longer for a finished and polished product than the alternative that so many AAA developers have basically made industry standard at this point.

For consoles, seeing as we're getting the equivalent of 1.3.2-1.3.4, does that mean small additions like Leinfors' and Arkhalis's sets, among other things, will not be included in the update? Wiki mentions these and other furniture being 1.3.5 exclusive, so I was curious how "caught up" consoles would be.

Is this tested? I thought I remembered for certain being able to reset and try again until I got the result I wanted, on the most current version.

Is this tested? I thought I remembered for certain being able to reset and try again until I got the result I wanted, on the most current version.
I first found out about the issue in 1.3.4 and tested it over 50 times. When 1.3.5 came out I thought it was fixed as I could get the result I wanted, but I didn't really test much. Later found out it's still an issue, the result had simply flipped between 1.3.4 and 1.3.5.

Last edited:
You get "more stuff to see" on Mobile and Console because those are ports of known content. What secrets are there to keep there that are not on the wiki, etc. - outside of "hey look it's here" or "here is some tweak/difference because of the different way X platform works"? We can tell you "it's 1.3.4" and everyone knows what that means - so that is by definition a VERY different scenario than a major NEW update like 1.4. That can be good and bad....

In regards to your particular complaint - we have shown a TON of spoilers over the months (see: Spoiler Compendium thread) and in the E3 trailer. There is so much known about 1.4 already. However, we always have kept some things secret - and we will continue to do so. Just because "you only got to see a broom mount" in the SOTG, that does not mean that the development team is sitting around and that is all they got done... nor that "1.4 is done and Re-Logic is secretly scheming in the villain cave to sit on this". Some fun speculation there, but I'm afraid it is quite far from the truth.

The dev team is working every single day on 1.4 to get it to where we want it, with all the things we want included and working in the ways that we want them to work. When that process finishes, then you will see things like exact release dates and the launch. We have never held Terraria to artificial deadlines so that we can rush things out, and we are not going to start doing that with 1.4. :)

As for the other platforms, it is great that they are catching up - how does that harm anyone to see Console and Mobile and Switch rolling out 1.3.X updates and the like? That said, it would seem like a pretty big stretch to assume they are going to somehow have 1.4 already - so I think you may have conjured up a conspiracy theory there. :p

As for the other questions....
  • The SOTG comes about the same time each month... it is not "coming later and later" each month. The exact timing has to do with how dates fall and what news might be available and when, etc.
  • Console 1.3.4 will only be through 1.3.4 and will not have 1.3.5 content yet. So, anything that came in 1.3.5 will not be here... which should only be like 20-30 items
  • As soon as Re-Logic gets a final test build on Switch 1.3.1, we will check it out - PW is still working on some touch implementations before then, however.
    • My understanding/take on Split Screen is that it is still up in the air a bit - it does exist now in test versions, but it needs to meet certain minimum performance standards before it can be called "ready"
    • By this, we mean things like severe FPS drops... or control input delay, etc. Things that would materially impact play for either player.
    • If it isn't "up to par" yet, then I can see it being pushed to post-1.3.1 and then PW doing continued deep-dive work on SS to get it where it needs to be.
  • Mobile development "slowed" a bit in October to allow the DR folks to take a much-needed and well-earned breather.
    • 1.3.0.7.6 is needed because of a handful of issues that cropped up with 1.3.0.7.5 - we cannot just leave those blurry NPCs out there, for one. ;)
    • Controller+Customization is then at long last the front of the line for development work - I know the team has a TON of ideas there and cannot wait to get started.

In the end, everyone really is giving their all across all fronts to get everyone what they want to see. Sometimes that may not be exactly when you want to see it, but we have to stick true to the processes and standards that have brought us this far. Shoving out substandard work has never been our way. All we can say is to hang in there and trust that tons of good stuff is coming - on top of the great things that have already arrived for Terraria thus far in 2019! :)

You get "more stuff to see" on Mobile and Console because those are ports of known content. What secrets are there to keep there that are not on the wiki, etc. - outside of "hey look it's here" or "here is some tweak/difference because of the different way X platform works"? We can tell you "it's 1.3.4" and everyone knows what that means - so that is by definition a VERY different scenario than a major NEW update like 1.4. That can be good and bad....

In regards to your particular complaint - we have shown a TON of spoilers over the months (see: Spoiler Compendium thread) and in the E3 trailer. There is so much known about 1.4 already. However, we always have kept some things secret - and we will continue to do so. Just because "you only got to see a broom mount" in the SOTG, that does not mean that the development team is sitting around and that is all they got done... nor that "1.4 is done and Re-Logic is secretly scheming in the villain cave to sit on this". Some fun speculation there, but I'm afraid it is quite far from the truth.

The dev team is working every single day on 1.4 to get it to where we want it, with all the things we want included and working in the ways that we want them to work. When that process finishes, then you will see things like exact release dates and the launch. We have never held Terraria to artificial deadlines so that we can rush things out, and we are not going to start doing that with 1.4. :)

As for the other platforms, it is great that they are catching up - how does that harm anyone to see Console and Mobile and Switch rolling out 1.3.X updates and the like? That said, it would seem like a pretty big stretch to assume they are going to somehow have 1.4 already - so I think you may have conjured up a conspiracy theory there. :p

As for the other questions....
  • The SOTG comes about the same time each month... it is not "coming later and later" each month. The exact timing has to do with how dates fall and what news might be available and when, etc.
  • Console 1.3.4 will only be through 1.3.4 and will not have 1.3.5 content yet. So, anything that came in 1.3.5 will not be here... which should only be like 20-30 items
  • As soon as Re-Logic gets a final test build on Switch 1.3.1, we will check it out - PW is still working on some touch implementations before then, however.
    • My understanding/take on Split Screen is that it is still up in the air a bit - it does exist now in test versions, but it needs to meet certain minimum performance standards before it can be called "ready"
    • By this, we mean things like severe FPS drops... or control input delay, etc. Things that would materially impact play for either player.
    • If it isn't "up to par" yet, then I can see it being pushed to post-1.3.1 and then PW doing continued deep-dive work on SS to get it where it needs to be.
  • Mobile development "slowed" a bit in October to allow the DR folks to take a much-needed and well-earned breather.
    • 1.3.0.7.6 is needed because of a handful of issues that cropped up with 1.3.0.7.5 - we cannot just leave those blurry NPCs out there, for one. ;)
    • Controller+Customization is then at long last the front of the line for development work - I know the team has a TON of ideas there and cannot wait to get started.

In the end, everyone really is giving their all across all fronts to get everyone what they want to see. Sometimes that may not be exactly when you want to see it, but we have to stick true to the processes and standards that have brought us this far. Shoving out substandard work has never been our way. All we can say is to hang in there and trust that tons of good stuff is coming - on top of the great things that have already arrived for Terraria thus far in 2019! :)

Its been 4 months since I bought this game with no clear indication it, unlike other versions, has no split screen support.

You say shoving out substandard work has never been your way...but that is exactly what your associates have done.

The switch port is a substandard port and was obviously shoved out sooner than it should've been.

Pipeworks, Relogic, 505...never again for this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom