Terraria State of the Game: October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Console 1.3.4 will only be through 1.3.4 and will not have 1.3.5 content yet. So, anything that came in 1.3.5 will not be here... which should only be like 20-30 items.

Thank you for clarifying this. I just wanted confirmation that console versions are NOT "caught up", as numerous people have stated. I'm still grateful we got a large (and free) update, don't get me wrong. But now I have a second question, and please don't take offense.

If the 1.3.5 update was "Like 20-30 items", why were they not included? I know it seems insignificant, and they're "just furniture and dev sets", but I was looking forward to those items.

Thank you again for your reply.

What was the progress made for Journey's End so far? :)
Here's alot of it:

You get "more stuff to see" on Mobile and Console because those are ports of known content. What secrets are there to keep there that are not on the wiki, etc. - outside of "hey look it's here" or "here is some tweak/difference because of the different way X platform works"? We can tell you "it's 1.3.4" and everyone knows what that means - so that is by definition a VERY different scenario than a major NEW update like 1.4. That can be good and bad....

In regards to your particular complaint - we have shown a TON of spoilers over the months (see: Spoiler Compendium thread) and in the E3 trailer. There is so much known about 1.4 already. However, we always have kept some things secret - and we will continue to do so. Just because "you only got to see a broom mount" in the SOTG, that does not mean that the development team is sitting around and that is all they got done... nor that "1.4 is done and Re-Logic is secretly scheming in the villain cave to sit on this". Some fun speculation there, but I'm afraid it is quite far from the truth.

The dev team is working every single day on 1.4 to get it to where we want it, with all the things we want included and working in the ways that we want them to work. When that process finishes, then you will see things like exact release dates and the launch. We have never held Terraria to artificial deadlines so that we can rush things out, and we are not going to start doing that with 1.4. :)

As for the other platforms, it is great that they are catching up - how does that harm anyone to see Console and Mobile and Switch rolling out 1.3.X updates and the like? That said, it would seem like a pretty big stretch to assume they are going to somehow have 1.4 already - so I think you may have conjured up a conspiracy theory there. :p

As for the other questions....
  • The SOTG comes about the same time each month... it is not "coming later and later" each month. The exact timing has to do with how dates fall and what news might be available and when, etc.
  • Console 1.3.4 will only be through 1.3.4 and will not have 1.3.5 content yet. So, anything that came in 1.3.5 will not be here... which should only be like 20-30 items
  • As soon as Re-Logic gets a final test build on Switch 1.3.1, we will check it out - PW is still working on some touch implementations before then, however.
    • My understanding/take on Split Screen is that it is still up in the air a bit - it does exist now in test versions, but it needs to meet certain minimum performance standards before it can be called "ready"
    • By this, we mean things like severe FPS drops... or control input delay, etc. Things that would materially impact play for either player.
    • If it isn't "up to par" yet, then I can see it being pushed to post-1.3.1 and then PW doing continued deep-dive work on SS to get it where it needs to be.
  • Mobile development "slowed" a bit in October to allow the DR folks to take a much-needed and well-earned breather.
    • 1.3.0.7.6 is needed because of a handful of issues that cropped up with 1.3.0.7.5 - we cannot just leave those blurry NPCs out there, for one. ;)
    • Controller+Customization is then at long last the front of the line for development work - I know the team has a TON of ideas there and cannot wait to get started.

In the end, everyone really is giving their all across all fronts to get everyone what they want to see. Sometimes that may not be exactly when you want to see it, but we have to stick true to the processes and standards that have brought us this far. Shoving out substandard work has never been our way. All we can say is to hang in there and trust that tons of good stuff is coming - on top of the great things that have already arrived for Terraria thus far in 2019! :)

I just want to say I love Terraria and I already posted on here about the wait being killer. I think alot of this hate is coming from so many people that love this game and have double dipped across multiple consoles. I know were lucky to be getting updates at this point at all; however, let's be real the continued support of the game is part of the reason so many people, myself included, have bought and played the hell out of terraria so many times. Your passionate fan base is just tired of waiting for 1.4 and switch to be comparable to console. I was ecstatic to get it but the fact its optimized poorly and missing so much content is just disheartening and I've not picked it up in months. I think the teases you've left have been great but at some point were tired of appetizers and just want the main course. With all that said I still love Terraria.... I'm just amazed with how long it's taken for updates from yall (not news wise, updating the game wise).

You get "more stuff to see" on Mobile and Console because those are ports of known content. What secrets are there to keep there that are not on the wiki, etc. - outside of "hey look it's here" or "here is some tweak/difference because of the different way X platform works"? We can tell you "it's 1.3.4" and everyone knows what that means - so that is by definition a VERY different scenario than a major NEW update like 1.4. That can be good and bad....

In regards to your particular complaint - we have shown a TON of spoilers over the months (see: Spoiler Compendium thread) and in the E3 trailer. There is so much known about 1.4 already. However, we always have kept some things secret - and we will continue to do so. Just because "you only got to see a broom mount" in the SOTG, that does not mean that the development team is sitting around and that is all they got done... nor that "1.4 is done and Re-Logic is secretly scheming in the villain cave to sit on this". Some fun speculation there, but I'm afraid it is quite far from the truth.

The dev team is working every single day on 1.4 to get it to where we want it, with all the things we want included and working in the ways that we want them to work. When that process finishes, then you will see things like exact release dates and the launch. We have never held Terraria to artificial deadlines so that we can rush things out, and we are not going to start doing that with 1.4. :)

As for the other platforms, it is great that they are catching up - how does that harm anyone to see Console and Mobile and Switch rolling out 1.3.X updates and the like? That said, it would seem like a pretty big stretch to assume they are going to somehow have 1.4 already - so I think you may have conjured up a conspiracy theory there. :p

• The SOTG comes about the same time each month... it is not "coming later and later" each month. The exact timing has to do with how dates fall and what news might be available and when, etc.
  • Console 1.3.4 will only be through 1.3.4 and will not have 1.3.5 content yet. So, anything that came in 1.3.5 will not be here... which should only be like 20-30 items
  • As soon as Re-Logic gets a final test build on Switch 1.3.1, we will check it out - PW is still working on some touch implementations before then, however.
    • My understanding/take on Split Screen is that it is still up in the air a bit - it does exist now in test versions, but it needs to meet certain minimum performance standards before it can be called "ready"
    • By this, we mean things like severe FPS drops... or control input delay, etc. Things that would materially impact play for either player.
    • If it isn't "up to par" yet, then I can see it being pushed to post-1.3.1 and then PW doing continued deep-dive work on SS to get it where it needs to be.
  • Mobile development "slowed" a bit in October to allow the DR folks to take a much-needed and well-earned breather.
    • 1.3.0.7.6 is needed because of a handful of issues that cropped up with 1.3.0.7.5 - we cannot just leave those blurry NPCs out there, for one. ;)
    • Controller+Customization is then at long last the front of the line for development work - I know the team has a TON of ideas there and cannot wait to get started.

In the end, everyone really is giving their all across all fronts to get everyone what they want to see. Sometimes that may not be exactly when you want to see it, but we have to stick true to the processes and standards that have brought us this far. Shoving out substandard work has never been our way. All we can say is to hang in there and trust that tons of good stuff is coming - on top of the great things that have already arrived for Terraria thus far in 2019! :)
How convenient that there's no mention of the question people really care about; the functionality of the Hardmode 'V'.

SUSPICIOUS, @Loki . SUSPICIOUS.

Ah yes, again a disappointment. Slowly I get routine in being disappointed.
So no pumpkin moon with my son. Too bad.
Slowly I get the impression that the performance problems are due to the global software architecture and that performance wasn't thoroughly considered during design, so the problems can't be fixed in the foreseeable future.
It's a pity that the porting of new versions/content is being worked on under high pressure instead of first completely finishing implementation of the basic functionality.
My XBox 360 doesn't get any more updates with the reason that the computing power is not sufficient for the newer versions of the game.
Is it possible that someone has significantly overestimated the computing power of the switch?

30€, still not usable for us. This leaves a bland taste in the mouth.

Best regards by a really sad guy

Ah yes, again a disappointment. Slowly I get routine in being disappointed.
So no pumpkin moon with my son. Too bad.

Slowly I get the impression that the performance problems are due to the global software architecture and that performance wasn't thoroughly considered during design, so the problems can't be fixed in the foreseeable future.

I want to clear up how split screen functions, and has functioned since it's inception.

When a game is doing split screen it has to literally render another instance of the game. When you have 4 player split-screen the hardware has to render 4 separate instances of the game. So now most things that the hardware had to do once, it now has to do 2 or 4 times over as well. Then you gotta decide how to do the audio so it isn't a jumbled mess of 4 separate instances of the game going off at once when in actuality that's exactly what is happening. Now imagine you want to run Terraria 4 different times but you only have 3 to 3.5 Gigs of usable RAM. Imagine trying to run 4 instances of Terraria, but you're using a mobile processor and GPU. (Switch uses A57 for it's CPU and a Tegra for it's GPU)

There's more hurdles then you'd think, and I only listed some of them. Relogic has to overcome those hurdles the same as every developer before them had to do. It can be done, but you'll need some patience while the developers get everything squared away.

I do get yours and everyone else's sadness and disappointment on the issue and hopefully everything can get resolved eventually.

Thank you for clarifying this. I just wanted confirmation that console versions are NOT "caught up", as numerous people have stated. I'm still grateful we got a large (and free) update, don't get me wrong. But now I have a second question, and please don't take offense.

If the 1.3.5 update was "Like 20-30 items", why were they not included? I know it seems insignificant, and they're "just furniture and dev sets", but I was looking forward to those items.

Thank you again for your reply.

Because 1.3.5 was more than just adding those handful of items. If we are gonna "be at parity", then we need to fully be at parity - not just in item counts.

Its been 4 months since I bought this game with no clear indication it, unlike other versions, has no split screen support.

You say shoving out substandard work has never been your way...but that is exactly what your associates have done.

The switch port is a substandard port and was obviously shoved out sooner than it should've been

I'll grant you the frustration on Split Screen - I would say that we are a bit frustrated as well. That said, if SS has a ton of performance issues, would you rather it just be pushed out the door and leave you to deal with it? I mean, I guess that seems to be the way of things on some Switch games in regards to split screen - I've literally watched my kids play MC split screen at well under 5 FPS... and to us, that just isn't good enough. We are trying to hold the game to a higher standard. If we at RL feel that Split Screen isn't there yet, then we will not approve it and will have PW do more work on the feature. Again, it very much "exists" - but for the reasons @Grumpy Squid mentioned, this is not some simple hurdle that can just casually be tossed aside. That said, we will continue to press onward to get it done right - it is just taking longer than anyone wants or planned.

Sure, it would be great to have that out there - but if everything else is working fine, why hold the entire game up for everyone else? Again, not saying its an unimportant feature (I am a HUGE fan of couch co-op personally), nor making light of your concerns and complaint - just stating why things are the way they are in the off chance you will understand. :)

Again, apologies if that isn't what you want to hear, etc. - but just trying to shoot straight with you. :)

Because 1.3.5 was more than just adding those handful of items. If we are gonna "be at parity", then we need to fully be at parity - not just in item counts.

I'll grant you the frustration on Split Screen - I would say that we are a bit frustrated as well. That said, if SS has a ton of performance issues, would you rather it just be pushed out the door and leave you to deal with it? I mean, I guess that seems to be the way of things on some Switch games in regards to split screen - I've literally watched my kids play MC split screen at well under 5 FPS... and to us, that just isn't good enough. We are trying to hold the game to a higher standard. If we at RL feel that Split Screen isn't there yet, then we will not approve it and will have PW do more work on the feature. Again, it very much "exists" - but for the reasons @Grumpy Squid mentioned, this is not some simple hurdle that can just casually be tossed aside. That said, we will continue to press onward to get it done right - it is just taking longer than anyone wants or planned.

Sure, it would be great to have that out there - but if everything else is working fine, why hold the entire game up for everyone else? Again, not saying its an unimportant feature (I am a HUGE fan of couch co-op personally), nor making light of your concerns and complaint - just stating why things are the way they are in the off chance you will understand. :)

Again, apologies if that isn't what you want to hear, etc. - but just trying to shoot straight with you. :)

I dont need to be granted my frustration. I understand there are hurdles - that's fine. Communication has been bad since the start though. I would NOT have spent money on this if I was aware it didn't have a feature other versions do.

I don't want anything rushed out and I'm not sure why you keep alluding to that.

4 months - clearly nothing is being rushed. What, one person is tackling this issue?

As for holding the game up, I would argue that it is not in as good of a state as you believe. I see lots of bugs for the switch version on these forums.

The game as a whole, not just in regards to split screen, would have benefitted from more TLC pre release.

I've supported Terraria across 3 platforms and the third time I got Screwed.

I appreciate your efforts Loki but there isn't anything you can say or explain that will improve my perception of this port. It was poorly planned and executed.

Last edited:

You talk about FPS for split screen.... before that gets fixed on switch can we address the 0 FPS when the game save?

Hi, Loki.

First, cheesy as it is, I'd like to thank you and the Re-logic team for the work you've done on Terraria. Even if development were to end before 1.4 could be released, I want you to know I've gotten my $100's worth (I may have purchased more than one copy, lol) several times over. So, thank you very, very much. And, if it helps, please pass my gratitude along to any developers, even if they have moved on to other projects. Additionally, I want to thank you guys for participating in the forum and community as you have, as well, to the point that I have this opportunity eight and a half years after the initial release.

Secondly, I'd like to ask you about the possibility of using Steam's beta system to release 1.4 by Christmas. I can't imagine many contemporary Terrarians will stick to the non-beta version, but by using the Beta system, you'd provide the option for a stable Terraria experience for those that value it. I know that may be unfair to GOG, and some other distributors, but, I can't help it.

My girlfriend and I would like to start a new Terraria playthrough, but, it due to time constraints we'd only get in a few hours a week, and aren't interested in speed running, so it'd take some time to playthrough. And, we know we'd start over once 1.4 comes out to experience all the new world building stuff. Because we know we'd start over, we haven't started playing again, yet. Curiously, the announcement of 1.4 is leading us to less Terraria instead of more. Now, I'm not trying to make you responsible for the health of my relationship. there's other stuff we can and do occupy our time together doing. But we have a kid inbound, and soon our time will be even more constrained. Terraria holds a special place for us, it's something we've done together early in our relationship, and it's something we'd still like to do.

So, I just request that we get some chance to play 1.4 together in the next few months, even if it's not completely ready, before we have to wait a few years to have free time. We play early access together a lot, and personally I've survived the Myth II uninstall bug, so I think the two of us can handle whatever state it's currently in. Food for thought.

Either way, again, thanks to you and the team for the experience so far.

So... If I read correctly PS4 and XBOX will get 1.3.4 first? Even before PC damn, those Pipework peeps sure work fast! Might as well get a PS4, I only got Terraria on PC but I can't wait longer than I've already waited for 1.3.4 D:
um bro pc already has 1.3.4 its had it since November 2016

link: 1.3.4

November 5th, huh? Just after Ark's Halloween event ends but still during Borderlands 3's and just before the Resident Evil crossover with Monster Hunter World... *flails* TOO MANY GAMES TO CHOOSE FROM!

You talk about FPS for split screen.... before that gets fixed on switch can we address the 0 FPS when the game save?

Certainly a known issue - but not sure what can be done about it. I would say that PW very much knows about it though, and it is something we have raised as well. I know it is still there in 1.3.1, however, just to set expectations.

I am hoping combat targeting comes to Switch

The Lock On function is already there (at least it is on my devkit 1.3.1 version... and I presume its there on the current live version) - check out your control bindings (it wasn't bound to a button by default)?

1572531950143.png

Certainly a known issue - but not sure what can be done about it. I would say that PW very much knows about it though, and it is something we have raised as well. I know it is still there in 1.3.1, however, just to set expectations.

The Lock On function is already there (at least it is on my devkit 1.3.1 version... and I presume its there on the current live version) - check out your control bindings (it wasn't bound to a button by default)?

View attachment 229178
Lock on isnt on switch, that is i guess until 1.3.1. (I asked quite a few switch users asking if it was coming to switch to check their keybinds, they said they didnt find anything).
Currently only on pc/mobile/console/3ds.

I know i asked before, but will 1.3.0.7.7 (controller and customizations) mobile (more specifically, ios) have complete MFi controller support? What i mean by that is on MFi controllers, the L3, R3, and view/select buttons dont work. My idea is to add keybinds instead of completely avoiding them, as on android, and a one very specific mfi (made for ios) controller, they do work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom