Terraria State of the Game: October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know i asked before, but will 1.3.0.7.7 (controller and customizations) mobile (more specifically, ios) have complete MFi controller support? What i mean by that is on MFi controllers, the L3, R3, and view/select buttons dont work. My idea is to add keybinds instead of completely avoiding them, as on android, and a one very specific mfi (made for ios) controller, they do work.

Way too early to answer this, so I will table that for now and get back to you.

Lock on isnt on switch, that is i guess until 1.3.1. (I asked quite a few switch users asking if it was coming to switch to check their keybinds, they said they didnt find anything).
Currently only on pc/mobile/console/3ds.

Yeah I got around to checking my personal copy and saw the same... well then, count that as something coming in 1.3.1 then. ;)

Is there any chance we could get some insight to the local wireless progress for the Nintendo Switch? My fiance and I love to play our Switches outdoors, and not need to depend on wifi to play together, especially when it isn't our home wifi.

I'm not sure what challenges and leaps exist to make that happen. I know it's a bit of a niche feature for a game on so many platforms, but an update would be refreshing. It's the only thing keeping me from buying two copies!

The updates have only been taking so long because theirs that many features in the game, they need to make sure they don't make bugs like the 1.3 console bug where peoples worlds were being replaced by other players worlds when the host would exit the game before others could leave, duplicating the first chunks of their world and replacing it onto the other players of the sessions save. also the other bug where if your game crashed you would lose all your saves as they would be corrupted, i'm not bothered how long they take i just don't wanna lose thousands of hours again. Keep it up!

...lmao

This is the most surreal thing I've read on the internet all year. I don't see how 1.4 even possibly comes out before the end of the year, let alone the end of October.
1.4 has been in progress a decent amount of time.
Is there any chance we could get some insight to the local wireless progress for the Nintendo Switch? My fiance and I love to play our Switches outdoors, and not need to depend on wifi to play together, especially when it isn't our home wifi.

I'm not sure what challenges and leaps exist to make that happen. I know it's a bit of a niche feature for a game on so many platforms, but an update would be refreshing. It's the only thing keeping me from buying two copies!
You can already play online on switch. The only thing you cant do is splitscreen.
The updates have only been taking so long because theirs that many features in the game, they need to make sure they don't make bugs like the 1.3 console bug where peoples worlds were being replaced by other players worlds when the host would exit the game before others could leave, duplicating the first chunks of their world and replacing it onto the other players of the sessions save. also the other bug where if your game crashed you would lose all your saves as they would be corrupted, i'm not bothered how long they take i just don't wanna lose thousands of hours again. Keep it up!
I definitely agree.

Local multiplayer. Switches connecting without the need for internet. Not split-screen, but not needing the internet to play with other switches around you. I thought I was clear, but sorry if I wasn't. It's a feature they've said they're planning.

Or 1.2... That Update Was Atrocious.

The lack of UI changes to the console version (xbox one in my case) is disappointing. Every update posted here I check to see if it's been changed, as the UI has problems large enough that put me off from playing the game entirely. The original xbox 360 UI was absolutely perfect from a UX perspective. The big overhaul a few years ago that brought the xbox one UI to bring parity to the PC version is what is stopping me from playing.

Splitscreen only exaggerates the issues I have with the UI. The current UI is borderline unreadable, inconsistent, and very clunky to use. Tabbing over to relevant pages in the UI takes longer than it should, and it's hard to see what you are selecting. Teaching someone new how to use it is practically impossible. I have stuck with it for a long time, and can confidently say it's not an issue of getting used to it.

UI scaling would help a bit, as there's room to increase the hotbar sizes etc while playing splitscreen on my 1080p screen. Other issues include white text floating and is illegible from the background, the equipment screens are convoluted and difficult to get to, and one of the worst parts of all is the crafting menu.

Everything pops up in a giant grid of craftable items with little cohesion. It's hard to see and even harder to hunt for a specific item. The old UI had a tab-centric crafting menu that let you scroll through categories and even let you see items you have some of the materials for but not all.

It's hard to put in words to describe how the current UI is such a negative experience for me now that I no longer enjoy playing. I seriously hope someone takes this feedback serious, as I'm very surprised this hasn't come up more often. I'm not trying to :red: on you devs, I just know that it's possible for it to be improved. The parity between the PC UI and the console UI is not a good thing, although I'm afraid that design choice was made intentionally.

Local multiplayer. Switches connecting without the need for internet. Not split-screen, but not needing the internet to play with other switches around you. I thought I was clear, but sorry if I wasn't. It's a feature they've said they're planning.
Pretty sure its impossible to do that without internet.
I knew you didnt mean splitscreen, but i didnt realize you meant without internet.

The lack of UI changes to the console version (xbox one in my case) is disappointing. Every update posted here I check to see if it's been changed, as the UI has problems large enough that put me off from playing the game entirely. The original xbox 360 UI was absolutely perfect from a UX perspective. The big overhaul a few years ago that brought the xbox one UI to bring parity to the PC version is what is stopping me from playing.

Splitscreen only exaggerates the issues I have with the UI. The current UI is borderline unreadable, inconsistent, and very clunky to use. Tabbing over to relevant pages in the UI takes longer than it should, and it's hard to see what you are selecting. Teaching someone new how to use it is practically impossible. I have stuck with it for a long time, and can confidently say it's not an issue of getting used to it.

UI scaling would help a bit, as there's room to increase the hotbar sizes etc while playing splitscreen on my 1080p screen. Other issues include white text floating and is illegible from the background, the equipment screens are convoluted and difficult to get to, and one of the worst parts of all is the crafting menu.

Everything pops up in a giant grid of craftable items with little cohesion. It's hard to see and even harder to hunt for a specific item. The old UI had a tab-centric crafting menu that let you scroll through categories and even let you see items you have some of the materials for but not all.

It's hard to put in words to describe how the current UI is such a negative experience for me now that I no longer enjoy playing. I seriously hope someone takes this feedback serious, as I'm very surprised this hasn't come up more often. I'm not trying to :red: on you devs, I just know that it's possible for it to be improved. The parity between the PC UI and the console UI is not a good thing, although I'm afraid that design choice was made intentionally.
The console ui does kinda suck, but really its not absolutely horrible. It could be improved alot, such as a complete remake of build mode (the current one sucks) and better design of the entire ui. For example, mobile 1.3 ui has a button you can press to go from equip to crafting which saves space and makes it much easier to use.

The ui scale though, would be amazing. Splitscreen itself in terraria needs lots of improvements, especially with lag, ui extremely small, and lots of glitches (I had enemies completely stop spawning because the other player on splitscreen had max enemies nearby)

Pretty sure its impossible to do that without internet.
I knew you didnt mean splitscreen, but i didnt realize you meant without internet.

It isn't the standard, but a sizeable collection of Switch games do have this feature. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Stardew Valley, etc, just to name some from my library.

It is a confirmed feature for Terraria on the Switch, but they announced at release that it would be pushed back for some time. Unfortunately, it gets essentially no mention because split-screen play is much more demanded.

Yikes. That might get under a lot of people's skin if they buy it and then later find out they have to wait for an update for what Amazon advertised to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom