Items Combine the frog legs with something.

What would you combine the frog legs with?

• Total voters

Dapling

Duke Fishron
The Frog Leg is absolutely begging to be combined with something. It is an extrordinarily useful item that has served me well until endgame, but I usually end up having to swap it out simply because I end up needing the slot for something involving dps or regen. If it were combined with say, Flower Boots (because I at least use those for bait consistently), or Frostpark Boots (which would massively boost ALL mobility once you equip it), I would make them a staple of my playthroughs in a heartbeat. Another idea is to combine it with the Frozen Turtle Shell, but this seems really bizarre and class biased, even for such a weird item to begin with.

Last edited:
The Frostspark Boots (Or hell, just the Lightning ones, why does Frostspark exist anyways) are really the most fitting item to combine them with. Not only has the Frog Leg been begging for an item combo since forever, the Boots also become a lot less useful in Hardmode, especially with the Shield of Cthulhu being a thing now.

Frozen Turtle Shell needs a tinker too, but Frog Leg isn't the partner it needs. Also making pure QoL items (Flower Boots) parts of game progression is not a good idea.

The Frostspark Boots (Or hell, just the Lightning ones, why does Frostspark exist anyways) are really the most fitting item to combine them with. Not only has the Frog Leg been begging for an item combo since forever, the Boots also become a lot less useful in Hardmode, especially with the Shield of Cthulhu being a thing now.

Frozen Turtle Shell needs a tinker too, but Frog Leg isn't the partner it needs. Also making pure QoL items (Flower Boots) parts of game progression is not a good idea.
Understood, it just seems that Red tends to overestimate the power of the frostspark boots (like him saying that lavaspark would be too powerful when in reality it would be godawful and extremely tiresome to get.) So I wanted to present him with other options.

Reactions: Bry
frog leg with overhaul is even better because automatic b-hop and less fall damage, although that doesn't really matter.

With the horseshoe and cogs to craft Portal's boots? No fall damage, accelerated fall speed and damage+bounce when landing on an enemy.
Eh... why would we need fall damage negation? It already grants fall resistance and the reason frog legs are so powerful are because they buff equipped wings.

Sorry, I'm not getting the reference :(
Long Fall Boots, from Portal 2; the main character, Chell, wears them throughout the game. If I've done my research right, when falling, the boots keep you oriented straight and will completely cushion your fall no matter what, even if you reach terminal velocity (hence Kojiro's idea to have increased fall speed, I assume).
A novel idea, but mixing an item that partially negates an effect with an item that completely negates that effect is kind of a waste of a tinker. Admittedly, the fall speed bonus is an alluring quality, but I don't think it's enough unless you can go further a tinker or two.
Also I think the Portal Gun is as far as Relogic can go with the Portal references.

I think combining it with the frost-spark boots would be kinda op, not game breaking, but enough to make pre-golem bosses and fishron too easy. this is based off of my experience with a mobility gimmick build.
I'd either combine them with the shiny red balloon, for the full ascent speed bonus in one accessory, or combine them with just the hermes boots, and add the ability to accelerate in the air. in both cases you'd retain the humble yet unique appeal the frog leg has currently, but carry its viability into the endgame.

I think combining it with the frost-spark boots would be kinda op, not game breaking, but enough to make pre-golem bosses and fishron too easy. this is based off of my experience with a mobility gimmick build.
I'd either combine them with the shiny red balloon, for the full ascent speed bonus in one accessory, or combine them with just the hermes boots, and add the ability to accelerate in the air. in both cases you'd retain the humble yet unique appeal the frog leg has currently, but carry its viability into the endgame.
The speed bonus means almost nothing because of asphalt and wings with hovering existing. This change wouldn't be op because literally the only thing that it gives you that you don't already have is bonus ascent speed, and the dodging potential of that is outclassed by the Tabi anyway.

The speed bonus means almost nothing because of asphalt and wings with hovering existing. This change wouldn't be op because literally the only thing that it gives you that you don't already have is bonus ascent speed, and the dodging potential of that is outclassed by the Tabi anyway.

asphalt isn't a direct upgrade to platforms, and is much harder to mass produce. it by no means simply outclasses sprint boots. and honestly if you're resorting to asphalt you may as well be using teleporters or hoik loops too, which amount to preparation being op, as always.

wings are all good and well for kiting, but projectiles complicate things. at that point you can make great use of the ability to land on or jump off platforms freely with no lateral speed penalty, as the sudden change in vertical speed will cause projectiles that were leading you to miss.

while the tabi technically outclasses the 40% ascent speed for dodging, it requires enough skill and focus to seriously offset the bonus. you may as well just use hooks and platforms to change your momentum for free, and in any direction at that, plus you get the extra accessory slot to stack damage. it amounts to skill being op, which is a given in any action game.

so to clarify, frog spark boots would be kinda op not for being the best option period, but for being as good as they would be without any strategic planning or much mechanical skill. also they would make frog legs mainstream instead of being a funny gimmick like any frog themed item should be.

asphalt isn't a direct upgrade to platforms, and is much harder to mass produce. it by no means simply outclasses sprint boots. and honestly if you're resorting to asphalt you may as well be using teleporters or hoik loops too, which amount to preparation being op, as always.

wings are all good and well for kiting, but projectiles complicate things. at that point you can make great use of the ability to land on or jump off platforms freely with no lateral speed penalty, as the sudden change in vertical speed will cause projectiles that were leading you to miss.

while the tabi technically outclasses the 40% ascent speed for dodging, it requires enough skill and focus to seriously offset the bonus. you may as well just use hooks and platforms to change your momentum for free, and in any direction at that, plus you get the extra accessory slot to stack damage. it amounts to skill being op, which is a given in any action game.

so to clarify, frog spark boots would be kinda op not for being the best option period, but for being as good as they would be without any strategic planning or much mechanical skill. also they would make frog legs mainstream instead of being a funny gimmick like any frog themed item should be.
Most wings don't have their movement speed affected by running boots, so this would only start out powerful and then fall off once hardmode starts. (If you're actually running on the ground during most hardmode bosses, you're probably going to die)

I see the point here. You barely get a benefit from Boots in Hardmode since you should start getting into the habit of spending most of your time in mid air, so the only thing Boots would do for you is make you run a bit (yes, a bit, HM move speed bonuses are abundant and not actually useless) faster in the brief moments you land (and a bit of flight time), making them a very "meh" item that is outclassed by every other movement option.

Now here is the thing, if you add a "meh" to a "good" like Frog Leg then you are probably making it really good, since an already solid item is getting two abilities that while not great are still useful. It would be like mixing the Putrid Scent with a Class Emblem, even if the former item is bad adding its effects to the latter makes it way too good.

So i think the best solution here is to wait and see if 1.4 introduces a new item that would be fitting for the Frog Leg, or nerf its ascent bonus speed so the Frogspark doesn't suddenly become too good.

Most wings don't have their movement speed affected by running boots, so this would only start out powerful and then fall off once hardmode starts. (If you're actually running on the ground during most hardmode bosses, you're probably going to die)
Frostspark Boots increase flying speed as well I have tested it

the flying carpet and horse shoe to make this
Flying_Carpet.png
,more on information can be found on one of my posts

Back
Top Bottom