Terraria State of the Game: November 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
This delay until 2020 really shouldn't surprise anyone, to be quite frank. It's disappointing, sure, but not a surprise.

It's getting really close to the end of the year, and we haven't heard anything until now. Yeah, this was inevitable.

It's actually a good thing, though. This way, we get more content once it's finally released (in 2021 - J/k, :) ). In the end, I think the Terraria community as a whole will be grateful for this delay. I'm excited to see what "extra content" they give us as a result.

And to those upset by this news - you've had steady updates for YEARS... for FREE. Keep it up, Relogic. You guys are awesome!

I get the impression no amount of communication would have made you happy. I mean you've gotten very clear answers here, and you're still upset. I'd bet if the port had released on switch without any mention of split screen on the store page, you'd be here complaining about how the switch version is the inferior port and that the devs shouldn't have bothered releasing it at all if they couldn't get it "right".

Why are you punching down at me and making these assumptions? It is not a matter of receiving some kind of answer. I purchased Terraria to play with my wife split screen. The eShop said it supported split screen. It does not support split screen. I did not receive what I paid for. I wouldn't be on here complaining about it being inferior because...why would I? Up until now I have loved this game. Up until now I could say I didn't complain about a game dev on a forum. This is all new grounds for me. I've played this game for years on multiple consoles and never created an account on here to complain about anything.

Go Duke a Fishron, friend.

Hmm, on the topic of progress, wasn't Stardew released in 2016 (five years after Terraria), and it's getting the 1.4 update tomorrow?

And wasn't it made by one guy? I think he's also self publishing as of October, too. I believe Stardew Valley sold 3.5 million copies by 2017's close, and Terraria sold 25 million copies by October 2018. Terraria also has more developers and substantially more resources.

Admittedly, that's a bit interesting to think about.

I don't mind waiting really - plenty of other games to play.

Last edited:
Thank you for updating the Japanese version 😭
Spike Chunsoft, which sells the Japanese version, ignored the update for 3 years
It was like a dream because it stopped at 1.2.4
Thank you very much 😢

As a former software developer, I can understand how hard is to estimate when something is ready. My friend had saying "If the developer says that something takes x time, multiply it by pi (3.14) and tell that time to the customer." We terrarians can wait a little bit longer as I am sure the polished 1.4 is something worth waiting for.

Oh well, I'll have factorio and A-train PC classic to play with in the meantime... =D

Yeah kinda dissapointed, but yeah again, not surprised. XD

As a kingdom hearts fan, delays are something I salt my food with.
As an elder scrolls fan, the fact that the delay between releases is less than 5 years is a treat
And as a pokemon fan, I certainly know how much it hurts a game's potential to rush it out for christmas.

I wasn't surprised either that it would be pushed to 2020. This is suppose to be a big update after all. The more time you have to work on it, the better the final product will turn out.

tl;dr take as much time as you need!

Why are you punching down at me and making these assumptions? It is not a matter of receiving some kind of answer. I purchased Terraria to play with my wife split screen. The eShop said it supported split screen. It does not support split screen. I did not receive what I paid for. I wouldn't be on here complaining about it being inferior because...why would I? Up until now I have loved this game. Up until now I could say I didn't complain about a game dev on a forum. This is all new grounds for me. I've played this game for years on multiple consoles and never created an account on here to complain about anything.

Go Duke a Fishron, friend.
Just keep ignoring the fact that PC doesn't have split screen and doesn't even have it promised to them, why don't you...

For sure. If I bought the game and it had split screen but was very buggy - I would complain. Why wouldn't I? Why shouldn't I? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I think what you're saying serves to simply demonize and invalidate those of us with very good reason to be upset.

Let me clarify. The issue is not simply that the game doesn't have split screen. The core issue is the complete failure of communication.

I would be fine waiting if it was properly communicated that the port was incomplete. Sadly it wasn't so here I am.

Switch split screen isn't an issue for you? Good for you, but don't frame things as though there wasn't a MUCH better way they could have and should have handled this release.

Edit: I checked your profile and according to that you don't even own/play Terraria on switch.
My Post Wasn't Against You, It Was Against Everyone Who Complains Re-Logic Or Pipeworks Or Whoever Is Taking Too Long, Then When They Do Release It, And It's Full Of Bugs, They Act Like It's Relogic's/Pipework's Fault, And Basically Say "I Never Asked For This".

While Yes, Switch Having Split Screen Wouldn't Affect Me, Guess What, Playstation Not Having Split Screen Either Wouldn't Affect Me.

And As You Said, Your Issue Is That They Didn't Communicate This. That's Fine. If You want To Get Upset About That, It's Fine. Not My Right To Judge You For That.

And As For Me Not Owning Switch, Why Does That Matter?

Edit:

The eShop said it supported split screen. It does not support split screen. I did not receive what I paid for.

That Sounds Like That's Nintendo's Fault, However, I Could Be Wrong.

index.php

PC - RE-LOGIC

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We have some news to share this month that may be disappointing to some, but we hope that the explanation and rationale will make sense - we have made the tough call to push the Journey's End release date into 2020. We know that some folks have been surmising that this might be the case for a bit now, but we wanted to see what we could get done/check our progress vs our goals and be totally certain that 2019 wasn't going to be feasible before making the call and letting everyone know.

In the end, it comes down to a hard choice: scrap a bunch of the cool stuff that we want to see in Journey's End and force this out for 2019 or go ahead and push it into 2020 and make sure that we don't cut corners or leave a ton of things on the cutting room floor to hit that deadline. Re-Logic has never been about cutting corners or leaving things short of our goals throughout the history of Terraria - and with Journey's End being the final update, that philosophy needs to be underscored even further as we do not necessarily have a 1.4.X update coming "to pick up content that we didn't have time to finish".

We are totally aware that this unfortunate delay will be taken poorly by some, but we are fully confident that the final product will be well worth the wait. It just doesn't feel right to short-change our loyal community of fans and fail to fully deliver the Journey's End update that we have in mind. So, we hope you will understand, and we will try to answer questions in this thread as we can. We know it has been a long time coming, and we are thankful for your continued patience, passion, and support while we keep at the hard work of making Journey's End an update that is truly worthy of being the finishing touch to Terraria!

As a Person who mods Terraria, I will say, this makes sense to me, making a game can take a lot of time and effort.

Anything that can take time and effort like:

- Animation and sprites

- Coding

- Any kind of skill i didn't list

These skills can take time and effort to make something that is quality.

If Re-Logic didn't delay the update then it would be:

- Buggy

- Low Quality

- Ultimately Hated

So lesson here is that things can take time and effort for quality.

As a former software developer, I can understand how hard is to estimate when something is ready. My friend had saying "If the developer says that something takes x time, multiply it by pi (3.14) and tell that time to the customer." We terrarians can wait a little bit longer as I am sure the polished 1.4 is something worth waiting for.

The year 6343 seems far enough to assume it'll be out (hopefully).I'm really looking forward to it. `:p

I have 2 questions: On a scale of 1 to 30, what is your progress of your update and will the update be released in early 2020 or late 2020?

Honestly, I think if you guys are delaying it back without a specific date, you should consider adding cross platform as one of the content. It may be hard to do but it will pleases the fans a lot.

As much as I would like to complain about how long local co-op is taking for the switch (I did get terraria specifically to play multiplayer), Terraria is an amazing game considering it was made by only like ten people, and I appreciate the effort put into it. Just putting my opinion out there.

That's a big bummer. I was counting down the days for 1.4, looking forward to multi-playing the final installment with friends.
I figured you'd be about done, seeing how much time has already passed.

I can understand the why, and of course no one likes to play something that's half finished. I just wish you'd have been more careful with giving an estimate though.

Well, onward to 2020.

That's a big bummer. I was counting down the days for 1.4, looking forward to multi-playing the final installment with friends.
I figured you'd be about done, seeing how much time has already passed.

I can understand the why, and of course no one likes to play something that's half finished. I just wish you'd have been more careful with giving an estimate though.

Well, onward to 2020.
That's why they don't give estimates anymore. People ask for the estimated time and if they don't give it, some people get upset. If they do give it and they're wrong, people also upset.

ya know what. im done waiting. it feel like a bull face lie and im tired of it,it took yal three damn years for this update now its about to be 4 . i wanted this on my birthday and now im sad :(im done waiting i deleteing terraria

I've been checking in every now and then to see what progress has been made for PC and Switch. Now, for PC my attitude is "whenever they finish, I'll play it with a vengeance." Did not expect 2019, don't even remember anyone saying it was supposed to be out this year, and yet when it's officially announced 1.4 has been pushed back to sometime in 2020, I'm suddenly hit with the horrible feeling that there will suddenly be a huge influx of games I'll be interested in... :nursecrying: But I'm sure whenever it does drop, it'll be a blast well worth the wait.

Switch, on the other hand, is a different prospect. Since I've played a hell of a lot on PC and 3DS solo, I was hoping to be able to play Terraria with friends and family split-screen on my current favorite console. I can't even bully convince some friends to pick it up for local play. Halloween was a disappointment, me and a friend taking turns farming for Goodie Bags, which fell by the wayside because it was so tedious. Christmas is up in two weeks, and while I do appreciate that you're doing as best you can with the holidays and all, I'm hoping you'll be able to release a decent version by then. I know you can just change the system date, but there are some games that really don't like it when you do that. :nursecrying:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom