tModLoader Chen's Gradius Mod

Mod is updated to 1.0.2
Just a bug fix! Aim Options will now properly spawn.
Thanks @Mr. Sandman for reporting this error!
Please wait for the Mod Browser to reflect these changes.

For Sumenora's concern, I'll try to think of ways on how to make limitations possible. One such limitation should just be projectile limit or duplication cooldown depending on player number. What do you think, @Sumenora? I think this will also ultimately address the lag these may cause.

Mod is updated to 1.0.4
Yet another bug fix for multiplayer. The Equipment Rules are being shared across all players, hence why others aren't able to use them.
If there are more issues, contact us yet again. We will apply a fix ASAP.

Unfortunately, the Mod browser is not letting me upload this update, again.
Fetch the latest mod HERE.

While i grew up with side scrollers and classic games, this gem of a series wasn't one of them.

However the balance here seems to be way off, the enemies do too much damage and have far too much resistance, the boss alone can kill me with 2 hits while wearing the strongest gear in the game.
I feel like the only way your meant to play this IS to just spam weak projectiles. Which brings me my next point:

each Option practically doubles your DPS unless I'm missing something, but firing any non-piercing shots gets far more hits in on enemies.

Am I somehow missing something here and not seeing it? As it currently stands this mod seems really unbalanced

While i grew up with side scrollers and classic games, this gem of a series wasn't one of them.

However the balance here seems to be way off, the enemies do too much damage and have far too much resistance, the boss alone can kill me with 2 hits while wearing the strongest gear in the game.
I feel like the only way your meant to play this IS to just spam weak projectiles. Which brings me my next point:

each Option practically doubles your DPS unless I'm missing something, but firing any non-piercing shots gets far more hits in on enemies.

Am I somehow missing something here and not seeing it? As it currently stands this mod seems really unbalanced

It is unbalanced. I will only balance it after I finish all the planned content. The mod is not actively being worked on right now, though. It is open source, so feel free to balance them as you see fit. I will still review them, however.

It is unbalanced. I will only balance it after I finish all the planned content. The mod is not actively being worked on right now, though. It is open source, so feel free to balance them as you see fit. I will still review them, however.
I get this mod is just mostly an idea right and balancing it to terraria's standards would be hard, so it's fine for a WIP, that's what a WIP is after all

Though I just discovered a bug that you might want to patch in the future versions: gradius enemies are spawning during moon events (pumpkin moon in this case), and from previous comments I've been reading they seem to be spawning during other events too, and very often due to highly increased spawn rates
PS: I want to add though I do love the enemies this mod adds, I'd say you made a far more interesting bullet-hell scenario than most modders have with the enemies here, honestly, can't wait to see how it's expanded on later on

Last edited:
I get this mod is just mostly an idea right and balancing it to terraria's standards would be hard, so it's fine for a WIP, that's what a WIP is after all

Though I just discovered a bug that you might want to patch in the future versions: gradius enemies are spawning during moon events (pumpkin moon in this case), and from previous comments I've been reading they seem to be spawning during other events too, and very often due to highly increased spawn rates

Noted. I'll make sure this is worked on. They shouldn't be spawning freely in these modes.

For reference, I've made an issue. Gradius Enemies spawning in events as well · Issue #216 · cheeeeeeeeeen/Chens-Gradius-Mod

Thank you!

Ok it skipped my mind, but I did have an idea to help balance this mod later on:

Since this mod is largely for rangers and to a lesser extent, mages, I was thinking that each Option would consume ammo and mana respectively.
You want to fire 4 bullets? that will cost you 4 bullets
you want to fire 4 ichor beams (though really for this to be effective, you need to use non-piercing projectiles), it will cost you mana per projectile created (if you have only enough for 2 projectiles, the 3rd and 4th option won't spawn anything)

I think this is a decent start but oh course it'll need more work then this, but I think this alone will add a sizable drawback to using Options, on top of the fact that eat up accessory slots (which I personally feel is good choice IMO, as you have to sacrifice accessories to have more Option drones)

As far as other bugs go, the mod does some funky stuff with summon and melee items that spawn projectiles, but lets be honest that's to be expected and it's not really this mod's fault due to how the game handles these. (minions and projectile-based melee weapons like spears)

Mod is updated to 1.0.5
Just a bug fix regarding enemies. No more NPC butchering!... or maybe there still is.
Here are the changes:

• Modified enemy spawn chances
  • Rush no longer spawns randomly like regular enemies
  • Rush will now only spawn through Dagoom hatches
  • All Gradius enemies will no longer spawn if the player is in an NPC town or inside a home
It is up on Mod browser. grab that update and have fun!

-----

Since this mod is largely for rangers and to a lesser extent, mages, I was thinking that each Option would consume ammo and mana respectively.
You want to fire 4 bullets? that will cost you 4 bullets
you want to fire 4 ichor beams (though really for this to be effective, you need to use non-piercing projectiles), it will cost you mana per projectile created (if you have only enough for 2 projectiles, the 3rd and 4th option won't spawn anything)

This is possible, but I'd wait for the future Terraria update in handling these. There might be a better way. There's a few walls I came across with when implementing these. What if they have a custom mana? What if the weapon takes lives instead? It can become too customized that I might not be able to cover everything up... hence why brings me to the next point:

As far as other bugs go, the mod does some funky stuff with summon and melee items that spawn projectiles, but lets be honest that's to be expected and it's not really this mod's fault due to how the game handles these. (minions and projectile-based melee weapons like spears)

This. Before, I had a master rule list to fix everything. I just got tired of it. It's too many of them with all the complex implementations. Even vanilla weapons themselves do not have a standard!

I changed everything into a safe and general solution: use item.ammo for these. All the other projectiles in a Shoot() override won't be duplicated as a result. I use the excuse of it being balanced, it seems.

As a result, a lot of cool weapons lost their charm. Onyx Blaster isn't being duped anymore. I myself am debating if I should just continue with the option Rule List again, but... it's just too much work.

I got an easy fix, allow it if the weapon in question isn't a modded weapon (item.modItem.mod==null)
modded weapons are the ones that keep causing issues mostly when the game is trying to dupe their projectiles

The mod is really neat, but the largest issue here is what your trying to do in Terraria just doesn't mesh well with terraria and, as you stated "weapons themselves do not have a standard! " (the option drones, I mean, the enemies are a fine addition that liven caving quite a bit)

It's been a long while since the last update, but...

The mod is updated to 1.1.0!

No major content here, but I think I have new ideas to keep myself busy.

Anywho, changelog is as follows:
  • Modified the API and added functions.
  • "AddOptionRule" is now "BanOptionRule", which bans the projectile paired with the weapon that shot it from being duplicated once added to the rule list.
  • Added "AllowOptionRule", which allows a projectile paired with the weapon that shot it to be duplicated regardless of the usual filters.
  • Fix a bug where the enemies from this mods doesn't spawn properly.
For those mod creators out there, you may now let your projectiles + weapon pair to bypass the duplication filters and add an Allow Option Rule so that it will always be duplicated.
Others may also help in expanding and supporting the mod's vanilla support for Allow Option Rules, or they may create a mod that augments it.
By default, Onyx Blaster and Star Cannon are added to the Allow Option Rules for showcase.

For those who are using the mod's API,please read thoroughly on the wiki as the naming was changed.

We also fixed a bug regarding the enemies not spawning properly. Now they will spawn! Time to unleash Bacterion might!

Last edited:
For all the mods that uses this mod's API, please do not use them yet or update them in accordance to the current change. I am about to change them again in favor of adding more rule sets for more flexible rules.

Stay tuned. Progress is here: cheeeeeeeeeen/Chens-Gradius-Mod

Along with the API modification and improvement, I will also release a new Option type!

Last edited:
Mod is updated to 1.1.5!

It's finally here. Current mods that use this mod's API are now all broken, so please update them as this mod changes a lot.

What are the changes to the API?
It's hard to explain again, so please go to the Wiki. Let me provide that link: CLICK HERE

New Feature: Mod Configuration
There is now a mod config for this mod. You can now configure Bacterion spawn rate and the damage they deal to NPCs.
You can also control the buffer limit of the projectile duplication. Look there for more info, or the wiki for better explanation.

New Option Type: Spread Options
New option type introduced! Press the Option Action Key to let them shoot an an 8-way spread pattern!
HrW3egz.gif

their seems to be a problem with the mod config....damage dont seem to be changing at all when i try to change it and in multiplayer the config is rejected to changes meaning that the sliders have no effect on the contact or bullet damage

Weird. Remember that the config only affects NPCs.

For the multiplayer issue, are you the host? Only the host is able to change this.

Weird. Remember that the config only affects NPCs.

For the multiplayer issue, are you the host? Only the host is able to change this.

yes i am the host i made the server using host n play...and as for the slider say ducker enemies does 172 damage ......i raised it to the highest and lowest on the slider and it still did 172 damage.

yes i am the host i made the server using host n play...and as for the slider say ducker does 172 damage ......i raised it to the highest and lowest on the slider and it still did 172 damage.

Let me look into it. I would appreciate it if you open an issue in the GitHub repository to remind me.

I also need you to be exact on how the setup you have with your friend or single player (?) for each bug.

Last edited:
Let me look into it. I would appreciate it if you open an issue in the GitHub repository to remind me.

I also need you to be exact on how the setup you have with your friend or single player (?) for each bug.

what exactly do you mean by "Setup"?.... and the issue is not multiplayer exclusive its in both single and multiplayer cause i tested the slider in singleplayer

Back
Top Bottom