Sprites The Pyramid Rework: A Miniboss, Enemies, and Egyptian Items!

Hardmode content?

• Yeah!

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • No, only prehardmode

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Leaper

Retinazer
I hear a lot controversy about the Desert Pyramids. They are too rare, always have a Pharaoh's Clothes which are useless, and have too much space inside to be wasted are some of the common complaints. Well, with my biggest suggestion yet, i aim to solve those problems.

Ankh.png The Pyramid Rework: A Miniboss, Enemies, and Egyptian Items! Ankh.png

Generation
First of all, the pyramid world generation. Currently, they generate with around 39% chance in a large world. This is way too rare if you want a Sandstorm in a Bottle or Magic Carpet without having to go to multiple worlds. The generation should be changed to 100% chance, BUT they will only spawn in a desert that does not have an Underground (like those secondary deserts around the world). This is to prevent a pyramid messing up the entrance to the underground desert.
You may have noticed that after the small main room in a pyramid, the hallway goes down and down eventually stopping abruptly. What about all the space on the sides? Why is there nothing at the bottom? All that solid brick on the two sides will now be a catacomb of hallways, all connecting to a large Sarcophagus Room. There are a multitude of new traps and dangers along the way.

The Pyramid Itself
You explore the world, and eventually find a large Pyramid, its entrance poking its way out of the surface. You enter, expecting a Pharaoh's Clothes and a few money bags, BUT, the above chest loot table has changed. Pharaoh's clothes have been removed from the chest (more on that later) and you see a new item along with your shiny Sandstorm bottle:
The Ankh!
Ankh.png
Consumable.
"use to bring the Pyramid to life".
Can only be used after the EOW or BOC has been defeated.
Now lets talk about this. The normal pyramid loot is still available, but the main part of the pyramid experience is walled behind a boss, which makes sense. Why would you be able to get all this sweet loot before you even fight King Slime? The sandstone bricks can also only be mined with a Nightmare or Deathbringer pick, to prevent premature entering.
Once you slice the bosses to bits and and finally use that Ankh, then stuff starts to happen. A tunnel opens up to the catacombs, and new enemies start to spawn. you descend slowly, and see that you have a new debuff.
Ominous.png
This debuff makes that so placed (not held) torches give less light. The purpose for this debuff is to give an adventurous feel, instead of placing down a single torch and seeing all the traps in your way.
While exploring around, you see a gold chest. Now, the underneath chests have a different loot table than the above one.​
1: Sandstorm in a bottle. Just in case you didn't get one in the top chest.​
2: Magic carpet. same reason as 1.​
3: Organ in a Jar. JarPetSummon.png A pet item. Summons an Organ in a Jar pet. purely decorational.
JarPet.gif
4: Saharah. Saharah.png A powerful bow that does 16 damage, and the arrows leave a dust trail.​
5: Other normal chest loot, such as bars, torches, and potions.​

Now, on to the traps themselves.
Desert Dart Trap
SandDartTrap.png
desert dart traps do 25 damage, slightly more than a normal dart trap. Instead of Poisoned, they inflict Slow.
Slab Trap
SlabTrap.png
Similar to Boulders, they fall on a player dealing 80 damage. The difference is that instead of rolling, they simply turn into the placed version once landed, creating an obstacle. Also crafted with 4 sandstone bricks at a tinkerer's workshop.
Old Bricks/Weak Bricks
WeakBrick.gif
Are placed over small pits with spikes. When stood on, will crack for about 1 1/2 seconds until they break, causing you to fall to your (not very dangerous) death. Can be crafted with 1 sand and 1 sandstone brick at a tinkerer's workshop.
SlabCapch.png

A Slab Trap lying in wait.
SideRoom.png

a Sand Dart Trap next to a chest and some Weak Bricks.

New Enemies
with the Pyramid coming to life, the guardians of the tomb come to life too. These enemies are a little less dangerous than Dungeon enemies, but spawn less.
TombGuard.png
These risen guardians of the tomb are a lot more powerful than the average zombie or skeleton. Fighter AI, 75 life 150 life and deal 20 damage 30 damage.
drops pieces of the Ancient Set (vanity item)
1579045173918.png
GoldenScarab.png
These shiny little creepy-crawlies are rather powerful for their size. Also a symbol of immortality. Wall creeper AI, 85 life 170 life and deal 25 damage 40 damage.
Drops 0-1 Scarab Shell ScarabShell.png

Ankh.png DA BIG BOSS Ankh.png
SarcophagusRoom.png
Once you explore the catacombs a bit, you make your way into a large room containing several money bags and pots. in the center is a large ankh, and under that is a sarcophagus. Mousing over the sarcophagus you see a shell symbol, and right clicking consumes 3 scarab shells and summons the miniboss:
The Risen Pharaoh!
RisenPharaoh.png
(boss stats are for the devs, but around 1000 1500 life.
Attack 1: Walks toward the player, attempting to melee
Attack 2: shoots 3 slow moving sun bolts
Attack 3: summons 3 scarabs that can attack you
Attack 4: heals 5% of his own life with blue effect

Drops: Khopesh.png LapisPendant.png MummyCloth.png
see "items"

Cool New Egyptian Style Items!
After you defeat the sick boss, you see that you have acquired some new weapons and crafting materials. Let's see what they are.
Khopesh.png Kopesh
15 melee damage
pierces 80% of an enemy's defence

LapisPendant.png Lapis pendant
Increases magic damage by 10%, but decreases max mana by 20%
"A symbol of power and order"

MummyCloth.png Mummy Cloth
Crafting material
dropped by the Risen Pharaoh in groups of 15-25

ScarabStaff.png Pharaoh's Staff
9 summon damage
summons a royal scarab to fight for you
crafted with 6 MummyCloth.png and 4 ScarabShell.png

Scarab Shield ScarabShield.png ScarabShellOn.png
4% damage reduction
keeps you alive for 3 seconds at 0 health
"Shiny"
Crafted with 6 ScarabShell.png, and 2 MummyCloth.png

And now for the Pharaoh's Clothes. They are now... A summon set! All together the 2 pieces give 7 defense, 15% increased summon damage, and you give off a slight amount of light.
head is crafted with 5 MummyCloth.png and 2 ScarabShell.png, body is crafted with 6 MummyCloth.png and 3 ScarabShell.png.

So, as you can see, all the problems have been solved!
-Are now 100% guar-an-teed
-New items, and Pharaoh's Clothes actually have a use
-Full of halllways with traps and loot

And that brings us to the end. Did you like my suggestion? please tell me your favorite addition! and if you support this suggestion, feel free to put the banner in your signature!
Banner.png

The Pyramid Rework by Face Monster!

Attachments

• Banner.png
    Banner.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I would be interested in seeing something like this. It would provide a nice addition to the deserts that would make them feel like a biome instead of just an extra area. Good job!
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I always felt that the outer deserts, having nothing interesting in particular, needed a little mini dungeon of sorts.

Game has needed this for a long time. This is very well thought up and I really like how you even built examples of how the pyramid would look like. And I gotta say that's a really good take on a "player-sized-boss".

Some items however could be improved:

Khopesh.png Kopesh
15 melee damage
pierces 1/8th of an enemy's defense

That will only start doing anything when you are hitting something with 16 defense, in which case it's just +1 damage dealt. I don't even think anything in Pre-Hardmode gets that much, and even then it's way too little for it to matter.

LapisPendant.png Lapis pendant
Increases magic damage by 30%, but decreases max mana by 15%
"A symbol of power and order"

More like "A symbol of items with extreme upsides with insignificant downsides that try to balance them out". +30% damage is too much, -15% max mana is not enough.

Sacarab Shield ScarabShield.png ScarabShellOn.png
4% damage reduction
keeps you alive for 3 seconds at 0 health
"Shiny"

I assume that the way this would work is that when you "die" it keeps you at 0 health until you either take another hit or the 3 seconds pass. I assume it still lets you regenerate health, in which case this item would be very interesting as it's limited immortality at the cost of a full slot. Probably needs some toning down but the idea is really cool.

Last edited:
Game has needed this for a long time. This is very well thought up and I really like how you even built examples of how the pyramid would look like. And I gotta say that's a really good take on a "player-sized-boss".
Some items however could be improved:
That will only start doing anything when you are hitting something with 16 defense, in which case it's just +1 damage dealt. I don't even think anything in Pre-Hardmode gets that much, and even then it's way too little for it to matter.
More like "A symbol of items with extreme upsides with insignificant downsides that try to balance them out". +30% damage is too much, -15% max mana is not enough.
I assume that the way this would work is that when you "die" it keeps you at 0 health until you either take another hit or the 3 seconds pass. I assume it still lets you regenerate health, in which case this item would be very interesting as it's limited immortality at the cost of a full slot. Probably needs some tuning down but the idea is really cool.
Thanks for the extensive feedback and criticism! I will work on those stats. I didn't really know how much a percent increase was with magic weapons, my bad.

This is a very well though out idea, currently pyramids are so poorly implemented and what you've suggested would really make them much better, I love the traps and the collapsing floor could be used in adventure maps, and the enemies and boss fit right in. :dryadgrin:
The scarab shield is a nice addition, though will it have a cooldown of some sort?

I like this idea, the feeling of having first gone through a pyramid and then later going through the Temple would also give a more adventurous feel to it.

And my Indiana Cosplay would finally feel like it'd done something significant

This is a very well though out idea, currently pyramids are so poorly implemented and what you've suggested would really make them much better, I love the traps and the collapsing floor could be used in adventure maps, and the enemies and boss fit right in. :dryadgrin:
The scarab shield is a nice addition, though will it have a cooldown of some sort?
Thanks! J Bame had a nice idea for the scarab shield, if you get hit again you die instantly, ergo, you must not get hit before 3 seconds before life regen kicks in.

Thanks! J Bame had a nice idea for the scarab shield, if you get hit again you die instantly, ergo, you must not get hit before 3 seconds before life regen kicks in.
It does however feel more like a hardmode accesory, perhaps there could be new loot once Hardmode is unlocked :dryadwink:

Back
Top Bottom