The most annoying boss in any video game you've played.

Star Dream Soul OS from Kirby Planet Robobot. It hits really hard and has a stupid insta-kill attack at the end of the fight. It also has 4 tedious phases

Nightmare from Monolith. It uses attacks that are irritating enough to dodge on their own, but then you add the big floating blocks drifting all over the place (which damage you on contact) and the name becomes apt. And that's only the first of three phases...

Last edited:
I've to dive deep in my annoying boss history for this.

But for one that stands out currently, it's Monster X and The Core in Cave Story+ Hardmode.

In Cave Story+ Hardmode, you don't get any health capsules, and the bosses mentioned above all spam projectiles that kills you in one hit. The bosses are also invincible most of the time. And if you die, you have to walk to the section again before meeting the boss. Also filled with enemies and traps that kills you in one hit.

Still have yet to beat them one day.

Pthumerian Descendant From Bloodborne. Luckily Only Meet These Cheap :red:s In The 2 Ihyll Chalice Dungeons, But Still. Extreme Range Attacks? Check. Nearly Undogdable Attacks? Check. Being Able To Completely Destroy Your Health Bar If You Get Within Striking Distance? Check. Why The Hell Does Blades Of Mercy Only Suck For Me?

Not quite the boss himself, but the entire level. The mission in Crimson Skies in which you have to find and shoot down Ulysses Boothe is easily the worst-designed and most annoying level in the entire game. Why? Well, let me explain:
  1. It's one of the very few missions in the game that don't let you choose your aircraft. This is made even worse because you're given a stock Hoplite. For those who haven't played the game (Or even heard of it, considering that pretty much the only place you're likely to see it mentioned is in forum threads about weird airplanes), this means that you're stuck flying an autogyro that has the draw of being the most maneuvrable aircraft in the game, but has no other draws: It's slow, weakly armored, and weakly armed (To be fair, in order to get here, you have already had to deal with them as enemies in previous games, and they can be very frustrating to fight). You cannot even bring a custom one, so you're stuck with the very light armor, 2 .30 machine guns (Which deal little damage and rely on their fire rate to be effective) and only 2 hardpoints for rockets.
  2. You're alone. In most missions, you have a wingman, and even in the ones in which you don't, you often have allies of some sort.
  3. The mission is luck-based. It consists of passing through "Danger Zones" in order to find Boothe's hideout (At least doing this is what the Hoplite does best, due to it's slow speed and high maneuvrability). There's 5 possible hiding places, and the actual hideout is randomly chosen. Every time you fly through a Danger Zone, you get ambushed by two Black Hat fighters, talking about which...
  4. Said fighters are Brigands. That particular aircraft model is already a bit of a Goddamned Bat, as it's a bit of a jack of all stats that tends to be on the "slow but powerful" side, which means that it can evade relatively easily (Althrough it's the least maneuvrable single-engines aircraft in the game) while still taking a decent amount of punishment because they have decent armor and have powerful weapons. That alone isn't the frustrating part, as getting to their tails isn't difficult because you're more agile and it's easy to take advantage of their higher speed in order to make them overshoot you. The problem with that particular plane is that it has a rear turret, which, on a default configuration (Which is what AI planes seem to normally be), also has 2 .30 MGs, so your maneuvrability is practically cancelled by this, unless you somehow can dodge enough hits (I finally figured out than an AP Rocket hit can strip off their armor, and the remaining health can be quickly cut down, but you can only carry 8 in total, and you have to fight some more Brigands along with the boss, so you have to hope you find him in 2 attempts or less).
    What is even worse is that it's not like they had to give the Black Hats different planes just for this mission, as they also have Hoplites (In fact, Boothe flies one when you find him), which could have made sense and would have given them more use (The only other time in which they appear is in a later mission, and you have so many buddies in that one that you're likely to not even notice that they're in it).

Ok so...

I know I've already mentioned this game here, but...

The Warden from Monolith is a very annoying fight, and it actually gets exponentially harder the more items you stock up in the dungeon right before fighting him. On the highest difficulty, he has four different phases, and remember, you were worn down by the hardest dungeon in the game right before this:
  • The Sword phase isn't that hard to dodge, but it's basically impossible to predict what his attacks actually do on the first attempt.
  • The Staff phase is pretty predictable... but the attacks have a ridiculously low margin of error. (this is where I always get hit)
  • The Enigmancy phase is probably one of the most fun parts of the fight, but that doesn't mean it's easy to learn OR dodge.
And that's all before the fourth phase... Where he mixes up improved versions of all of his former attacks, but adds even more to them while stopping time.
Did I mention that this game is a roguelike, so if you die, you go all the way back to the beginning?

Or:
The fact that you have to fight the :red:ing Chaos God RIGHT after if you actually succeed at beating the highest difficulty version of him, without a consolation health restore or anything?

Don't get me wrong, this game is very well done, the boss fights are really pretty fair, but oh my god is it brutal. This is a criminally underrated game and I actually had a whole lot of fun with it, it basically accomplishes what Enter the Gungeon set out to do, but does so far more gracefully and is far more difficult while at the same time more forgiving.

Just please don't make me try to beat this guy on sudden death mode, where you have one life.

Last edited:
Brigand 16 Pounder.

Darkest dungeon is incredibly RNG heavy, So if you don't kill the Matchman in time, He'll use the cannon to OBLITERATE your entire team.

And to rub salt into your wounds, The cannon has the magical ability to bring in reinforcements.

So far i lost an entire squad once to this boss. Been afraid of fighting it ever since, and i'm playing on the radiant difficulity which is the easiest one. I'm pretty damn terrible at the game.

Ok, so mine is Kushala Daora from MHW.
Reasons:
1. An annoyance and hindrance to bow/bowgunners, making ranged weaponry hard to used
2. The wind blasts can easily stunlock you and cause you to faint due to this
3. Tornadoes can trap you in corners and also stunlock you, causing faints due to bad placement
4. When knocked, he only stays down about 10 seconds
5. The wings are practically invincible and nothing short of mind's eye, gunlance shells, or fixed damage types will cause the weapon to bounce
6. Fast moving and hard to deal with, as it stays out of reach or the wind pressure hits you and stuns you
7. The full charged wind attack is totally unblockable and deals heavy damage

I had to fight this jerk 23 times before he finally died

*inhale and exhale* botw (breath of the wild) calamity ganon. All my weapons? Gone. All my shields? Gone. My sanity during that fight? GONE

My most annoying boss fight is Watcher Knights from Hollow Knight...
The thing is that you have to fight 6 OF THEM. At the start only 1 comes alive, but after that there is like 2-3 attacking you at the same time! It's so annoying. Thankfully you can kill one of them before the fight starts. :eek::mad::lslime:
1585059083270.png

look, I know I already posted here, but I've played more games since then, and her's another annoying boss:

Nemesis (Fire Emblem Three Houses) is a sucker. he's invulnerable at the start of the fight, and by the time I can start hurting him, at least HALF of my units are dead. not to mention how freaking THICC the guy is. My attacks can one shot anything else on the arena, but no attack of mine does more than 20 damage to this man. I wouldn't struggle as much if the fight was shorter. Once I beat this guy, I will NOT fight him again in the near futur

At the moment, it’s Nightmare in Kirby’s Adventure. I can’t even get past the first phase. It’s a really fun fight though.

Not even a boss, just an enemy, but archviles in DOOM Eternal
Those :red:ers can even spawn :red:ing marauders, the :red:s who block all your direct attacks, are immune to chainsaw and BFG, and, at least from my experience, crucible. Then there's the :red:ing wolf those :red:ers have as well.

Well it seems I put two here, at least one's a boss.

Back
Top Bottom